THE BROWNS BOARD

We blew it on Watkins.

Clevfan4life

So op, since you think he's worth 2 first round picks and Buff made a smart move. Then what would you say if the Browns traded next years pick, plus #4 to move up and grab him.???

You'd like that?

Now, we have Watkins(like Buff) and we have NO pick next year(like Buff) and we have no CB prospect.

Or. If we had Orton and Manuel for our QB's and we traded away the next 2 drafts for a WR(brilliant, right?)

Sheesh. Both of these sound very very bleak.

This argument is voided due to the fact Watkins has clearly outperformed Watkins.

Just like I'm sure you loved the Julio Jones/Atlanta trade which they clearly got the better end of.

If you have a chance to draft a STAR PLAYER you don't pass on him for prospects and draft picks.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse me, I see a dead horse over there. I'm gonna go beat it to death AGAIN!!

The effin draft is OVER! Get it?

What ISN'T over are these young men's careers....In fact, they have just started. Oh, I'm sorry, Hall of Famers earn that in their first year, right? If they're not the greatest ever in year one, they're shit!

What a stupid fuckin' thread! I feel stupid for even READING the drivel.

Mike

very few studs the draft is a crapshoot and the more picks you have at it the better chance you have, Farmer did the right thing.

There were a few blue chip studs in this draft (Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Robinson, Mathews) and we passed on 4 of them.

Trading down is WORTHLESS if you don't get better value for your pick.

If you were to run a poll amongst all 32 fansbases, coaches, players, owners, scouts that said,

"Who would you rather have... Sammy Watkins or a Justin Gilbert and a midround pick in 2015"

As of right now, over 95% would say Watkins

Only time will tell but this is looking like another Atlanta Falcons debacle.

To the pitiful OP:

Defense wins championships, and a LOT of games depend on it. Watkins plays offense.

Way, way too much whiney-ass "boo hoo the grass might have been greener on the other side

of the fence" garbage.

Dez Bryant was a star wr. Know what he did last night vs Washington? He was targeted seven

times, caught three. One was a 5 yarder for a TD. Big deal.

Sure, he's very good, very, very fast. Meanwhile, Colt McCoy made their secondary look silly several times.

The Cowboys have a fifth and third round cb's as starters. You can bet last night, they could have used

a blue chip cb.

Meanwhile, the Browns know the kind of player they want to draft, and the OP doesn't have a freakin clue.

Meanwhile, also about Watkins? Immaturity. Hurts the team. Players get po'd about it.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/24770771/marrone-bills-watkins-have-to-work-on----winning-and-growing-up

I'd take a blue chip cb over Watkins too. They know what they are doing.

I'm sorry...

What exactly would you change about the greatest come from behind road victory of all time?

That depends on the #1's. Looking more and more like the price was fair... and soon may look cheap.

Watkins was a Pro ready talent at an easier position... that is what you are seeing.

3 rec for 31 yds? That was his Week 1 line vs. CHI...

Not around here...

1) Sorry not the Tn game, the first Blt game. Brain fart.

2) You can't take his 1st game stats at Buffalo, with EJ Manuel, and throw them into the mix. I'm fairly confident that his first game with the Browns he would have had a lot more yds and receptions than that. Remember he's their #1. He's gonna see doubles the whole season. WIth a healthy JC Pgh could not have doubled Watkins the whole game.

Easy...EJ Manuel. Put Watkins with a even a moderate QB and he's taking over the NFL. Think of the points we've scored in some of these games without Gordon. Watkins would have completely made up for not having Gordon. I'm not even going to think about what Gordon and Watkins on the same team would do because it starts to irritate .

Backtracking. I'd say.

Also, has anyone realized that Watkins' games have essentially consisted of being a monster, or being super quiet? It's not like the kid is taking over the NFL in his rookie season.

To the pitiful OP:

Defense wins championships, and a LOT of games depend on it. Watkins plays offense.

Way, way too much whiney-ass "boo hoo the grass might have been greener on the other side

of the fence" garbage.

Dez Bryant was a star wr. Know what he did last night vs Washington? He was targeted seven

times, caught three. One was a 5 yarder for a TD. Big deal.

Sure, he's very good, very, very fast. Meanwhile, Colt McCoy made their secondary look silly several times.

The Cowboys have a fifth and third round cb's as starters. You can bet last night, they could have used

a blue chip cb.

Meanwhile, the Browns know the kind of player they want to draft, and the OP doesn't have a freakin clue.

Meanwhile, also about Watkins? Immaturity. Hurts the team. Players get po'd about it.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/24770771/marrone-bills-watkins-have-to-work-on----winning-and-growing-up

I'd take a blue chip cb over Watkins too. They know what they are doing.

First off let me say this was one of the stupidest and least thought through replies I've ever read on this board, possibly the entire internets. About the only think you got right was the importance of defense. Why you bring up Dez Bryant and Colt McCoy I have no idea, maybe you're drunk. The "fact" is that Justin Gilbert has been less than avg and Sammy Watkins is an immediate impact star player. I too think defense should take precedence "up to a point". My two guys were Watkins and Mack....BOTH are playing better than Gilbert. Mack may win defensive rookie of the year if Clowney doesn't do much when he returns. Given that we knew Gordon was going to go down for at least half the season, I begrudgingly acknowledged that while I still loved Mack..Watkins made the most sense. If the Browns had any hint whatsoever about the severity of the Gordon punishment...which it came out later they may have....skipping Watkins is that much more indefensible. Yes Wakins is immature...is he Josh Gordon immature though? You don't seem to be wanting the Browns to trade Gordon do you? I'll take a superstar who gets caught having his Madden moment and learns from it over a guy who's broken the NFL substance abuse policy more times than a lot of people here can count to. You think Buffalo players are as "po'd" over him getting caught as Browns players must have been over Gordon getting his 3rd strike and then getting a DUI while on said 3rd strike?

Idiot post. Seriously. Dez Bryant had an off night....yeah he's terrible fuck him. Idiot.

Well our situation was obviously different than Buffalo's. I can't outright say it would have been a good idea for us to do basically what Buffalo did. The issue is we weren't in their shoes. We could have stayed at our position and drafted Watkins,which after Clowney coming off the board was what everyone thought we and the teams infront of us were gonna do. When the last pick before us came off the board and Watkins was still there, did any of you think we were gonna trade down? And for Justin Gilbert no less? Look as I said I'm a defense guy and before the season I clearly saw the need for a CB. If Gordon wasn't busy being Josh Gordon WR would not have been a priority in my opinion. Still not sure I would have taken Gilbert over Mack though. But in any case it's still irritating to me a little bit that yet another guy we whiffed on is doing exactly what he was projected to do by literally everyone....and that is be an immediate impact player. And doing it on the Bills ffs. Maybe we nail some stud with the Buffalo pick next year I dunno...but nobody can sit there and say that it was a good trade because there might be some stud players at that pick next year. They have no idea what's gonna fall in their lap next year with that pick. But they did know what Watkins was bringing, that is beyond debate. If Watkins was projected to be a decent player and he was just exceeding projections, fine I wouldn't be saying anything. There's plenty of great players that tons of teams passed on cause they weren't projected to do much. But again, Watkins is doing exactly what people thought he would. And that's irritating, sorry but it is.

Just to futher comment on what some moron above mentioned about Dez Bryant..if there's anybody here that wouldn't trade Justin Gilbert for Dez Bryant, just go shoot yourself. That or just stop watching football it's not ur thing. Even if Justin Gilbert was the best corner on our team...he'd have to be Derrell Revis in his prime to even debate whether you'd pull the trigger on that trade. Bringing Dez Bryant in is like turning off the reality button in those old madden games that just let you trade anybody for anybody that you wanted. So you could build a Browns team that was basically the leagues' all stars at every position. It's dumb to even think about..but that's how stupid the above poster was.

So op, since you think he's worth 2 first round picks and Buff made a smart move. Then what would you say if the Browns traded next years pick, plus #4 to move up and grab him.???

You'd like that?

Now, we have Watkins(like Buff) and we have NO pick next year(like Buff) and we have no CB prospect.

Or. If we had Orton and Manuel for our QB's and we traded away the next 2 drafts for a WR(brilliant, right?)

Sheesh. Both of these sound very very bleak.

Cool thanks for your insight.

i just don't get y'alls concern with someone else's draft pick.

as diehard said a while back....hindsight is 20/20.

sure we should have picked this person in 2011 vs. the person we picked because god knows that person is a 'bonafide superstar' using your terminology. then in 2012 we should've done this. 2013 we should've done that.

this year we should've picked sammy watkins.........really? many would disagree and say ray farmer did a great job in his decision making and picking a much needed piece of a defensive puzzle. do i think he should've picked a WR? sure. but not necessarily there.

saying watkins is the next coming of jerry rice or lynn swann is a huge stretch by any means.

sometimes you have to wait to see the seeds you have sown grow to fruition. halfway through a rookie season is a little swift in your evaluation, don't you think?

some people fell in love with Dez Bryant. You'd pick him, too, over Gilbert?

And Mack? Khalil Mack? The Raiders?

Seriously, Cleve? Mack was drafted fifth.The Browns drafted eighth, I think. 5 comes before 8.

And you're calling somebody else an idiot, while warping this board with your after the fact

whining?

Mack is a terrific player. I don't know that the Browns needed him - they needed another

blue chip cb, the way teams could pass for first downs last year.

yeah, go look at their won loss record, Cleve. they are winless so far this season.

That was the point you didn't get. The Cowboys still lost with Bryant, and the Raiders

haven't won one game yet.

so you think Watkins would have made a huge difference? Stop your damn whining.

Bitch bitch bitch.

Maybe Oakland should have drafted a cb, eh? Their one cb is a former fifth round draft pick.

Maybe the Browns would have had to draft their cb in the second round, or with

their second first round pick, if they had drafted Watkins. Then, no Bitonio, or no Manziel.

Just give all the bs second guessing a rest. You don't know more than this coaching staff.

And that's being nice.

My two guys were Watkins and Mack....BOTH are playing better than Gilbert.

c'mon man. is the old lady giving you shit tonite or what?

btw, calfoxwc doesn't drink, unless you're offering up some root beer.

these threads do nothing but make fans of the same team yap and nip at each other like little flippin rat dogs.

R-E-L-A-X.

Posted Today, 11:22 PM

Cal.....are you a Browns fan? Cause a Browns fan would know we traded down from the 4th. So yes Watkins and Mack were on the board when we picked. I'm completely done talking to you if you're missing this basic shit. Cleve

yes, we traded down. I loved the trade down. Then we DRAFTED EIGHTH OVERALL.

So, you're whining and moaning and bitching about the trade down? The Browns wanted

to trade down. Sorry, but the Browns did not need Mack as much as they needed a blue chip cb, plain and simple.

And as much as they needed a blue chip wr? I wasn't sold on Watkins. He was immature, and time will tell

if he stays out of trouble. That's a big risk to take, when the Browns, per Farmer, draft for things like character,

love for the game, and leadership. What the hell? Watkins makes a showboat, really, really dumbass play?

If he had been drafted by the Browns, what you bitch about then? "Well, the Browns lost out on 'X'" ?

Mack and Watkins were gone. It's over. They didn't make it to eight, and even then, if they did,

I'm still thinking they would still have drafted Gilbert. They are not Browns. Your pizzin and bitchin isn't

going to change that. It's over. You're being annoying about the greener grass thing. Stop it.

not completely hating on Gilbert mik, just stating that we missed on Watkins. We have to stop missing on these guys.

i hear you, but there are only so many blue chips you can use with your first hand. i think farmer and the new regime sat down with their players (ones that count) after doing a thorough evaluation of the team and putting a list of needs together and listened to what they had to say. i think haden went in and said we need another CB and he told him who he thought in his opinion was the best choice and farmer went out and did it after signing haden to that deal.

do i hope we pick the biggest baddest WR next year #1? you betcha. then i would want to replenish our depth at certain positions. this all of course rides on whether or not gordon is back, healthy and clean.

i don't know man. i watched that whole flippin jets/bills game last weekend because i didn't want to go out. watkins is going to be great, yes, but what i saw was blown coverage by a jets team (whose defensive backfield draft picks have just disintegrated in front of their eyes) and thus letting sammy run free. there wasn't that much 'special' about it.

my neighbor is a die-hard bills fan and he prob knows more than me about the game and we both chirp at each other about the drafts picks we made last year because of the trade. while i'm walking my pit i yell out 'SAMMY!' and he yells out 'JOHNNY!' and we both discuss how we would have liked to take that pick instead of the one that we did. but that day has passed............ unless the bills want to trade sammy for johnny we'll continue bantering each other until the bitter end.

I can't profess to having followed the bills intimately..i haven't. But from evertything I've read and heard from some friends who have...Watkins has been great the whole year. Not just the Jets game. So you want a WR next year with the #1? Even if Gordon comes back and the others guys play better cause he draws most of the attention? Is there even a Watkins like player out there this year?

I was one of the guys that wanted Watkins at 4. However after they traded down I was good with the Gilbert pick. Personally I was more worried about who our QB was going to be. I wanted Hoyer to play and play well but I saw what happened last year after he got hurt. To me that was far more disturbing than being without Josh Gordon. I was surprised not to get Marquis Lee or Alan Robinson but just the same I liked the Bitonio pick (see comment about quarterback). I say the verdict is still out on Kirksey so all and all while the draft wasn't what I expected each pick made sense that was something we haven't seen in forever.

I'll concede that nobody expected that pick next year to be a low pick. But it looks like it might be. If we get a mid 1st round pick for it, still not sure. Watkins is that good. It's not just Watkins though, it's Gordon and Watkins. And also think about this. If Gordon comes back and play well, but we still feel he ain't learned his lesson.....we might be able to trade Gordon for a very high 1st rounder. If he plays like he did last year. We obviously can't do that now but if we had Watkins on the team? Maybe we could have. I still think given that we "knew" Gordon was gonna be out for most if not the whole year....passing on Watkins was a blunder. And looking like a bigger one every week. Hoyer would be sodomizing defense's with Watkins on this team. And now JC's out. Everything points to the fact we should have stuck with our pick. Both players on the talent board we passed on, Mack and Watkins, are outplaying GIlbert by a wide margin. And Mack is on that awful Raiders team. I still think we would have solved our long term ILB issue with having Mack learn under Dansby. Hell Dansby might be playing better if he had Mack eating up some blocks for him.

FWIW, I was #1 on the Watkins Wagon pre-draft. We didn't draft him- so stop crying in you beer that we didn't. We don't know how good Gilbert might eventually be- he's shown improvement. If he turns into a top CB, it's a wash. Shit, some idiots around here were calling Joe Haden a bum a few weeks ago, because he was slow to adapt to the new holding and PI enforcement- so how did Joe look against the Raiders? Sort of Pro Bowl again, huh?

That #1 pick is the Wild Card- and we can't evaluate the trade until we find out what it is. And ooh, ahh, Watkins looks so great with Orton and a nobody- well, guess what? The Bills don't have a first round pick next year- so bye-bye to getting a Mairotta or Winston. Har, har, they can trade Watkins and maybe a couple future #1s to get one of them. :) Miracles occasionally happen- so maybe they'll pull a Joe Montana out of their ass in the second or third round.

Collecting stars is what the draft is about, not collecting first round picks. Buffalo absolutely STOLE Sammy Watkins, and the price was cheap. He will push them out of their hole, and God help us if they cash in on a real QB and win a SB with Sammy. Orton is looking like Joe Montana with Watkins shining.

Farmer out thought himself, and he cost us a superstar and we have GilBURNT.

Just look at how many early first round busts the Browns chose over the past few years, and now we get cute and draft Gilbert instead. He is far far away from Sammy Watkins quality.

When you have the sure thing, you take him..

And again, another he's got to be a stud from day one, or he's a bust post. Just give it a rest until the end of the year, at least. Like you think Farmer didn't know what he was passing on with Watkins? Really? The same guy who found a stud OL in Bitonio, West in the third round, and Crowell & Gabriel as UFAs?

unlike other FO/HC pairings i felt good about farmer and pettine from the start.

the nod so far goes to farmer, so i'd like to see what he can do next year to hopefully build this team into a playoff contender...year after year.

the coaching staff on the other hand has me bewildered at this point. not that i'm getting negative on them, just wondering and hoping that what they have in mind with their schemes work out in the end.

i mean we basically had the same squad last year on D (albeit swapping a player here and there through FA and the draft) but they have either not been able to adapt to the new system or they (players) just weren't made for the positions that pettine and o'neill insist they play in.

unleash the kraken.

Archived