THE BROWNS BOARD

How many games would we have to lose before you bench Hoyer

Adoug319

That's true. Like the guy that's been married to the same woman for years; she's a little bit dowdy, not a great cook (but OK) not really sexy (though not a pig) but you know each other well. On the other hand is that 25 year old secretary at work with the big tits and a beautiful smile that keeps asking why you never ask her out.....

WSS

Kind of a strange analogy but I hear ya. You don't know if the girl with the big tits and the great smile has aids and might burn your house down. Love the one you're with.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in the end what we think really doesn't matter does it?

whatever this FO decides to do i'll get behind it, until something hinky happens. i've liked what i've seen out of farmer and pettine and if a QB change is what they deem necessary then i'll be behind it.

now i've heard that if hoyer takes 70% of the snaps this year he's due an xtra $2 mil bonus. i would think he'd be close to that percentage with two more starts.

btw the QB competition in preseason is just a dumb idea, unless of course you have no idea what you have in either/all of your QBs. i believe with hoyer coming back from an injury and having two rookies on the roster this was the only option given to the FO in TC.

in the end what we think really doesn't matter does it?

whatever this FO decides to do i'll get behind it, until something kinky happens. i've liked what i've seen out of farmer and pettine and if a QB change is what they deem necessary then i'll be behind it.

now i've heard that if hoyer takes 70% of the snaps this year he's due an xtra $2 mil bonus. i would think he'd be close to that percentage with two more starts.

btw the QB competition in preseason is just a dumb idea, unless of course you have no idea what you have in either/all of your QBs. i believe with hoyer coming back from an injury and having two rookies on the roster this was the only option given to the FO in TC.

I agree with your last point, but we had a new FO and coaching staff that wasn't sure what they had regardless. (I guess Farmer was here, but how much did he see of practice or hear from Chud about Hoyer, or how much of Chuds word would he take)

Once and if we become completely out of contention, I personally don't want Johnny, it is more me just wanting to see what he can do in meaningful game time. (Not that preseason crap). The best possible thing would be that we see Johnny and he plays great and starts in CLE for the next 10+ years. The worst possible thing would be that we trade Johnny away without seeing him in real action and he starts on whatever other team for 10+ years.

Once and if we become completely out of contention, I personally don't want Johnny, it is more me just wanting to see what he can do in meaningful game time. (Not that preseason crap). The best possible thing would be that we see Johnny and he plays great and starts in CLE for the next 10+ years. The worst possible thing would be that we trade Johnny away without seeing him in real action and he starts on whatever other team for 10+ years.

Really?

I think that's the ideal time to put Johnny in is if they are totally out of it.

It'll most definitely be a meaningful game to him! Maybe a little less so for the guys around him. It would be some duress, and if you wanna see what the guy's got, that's what you want.

Oh bull fucking shit.

Those 5'7 receivers were good enough to beat The Steelers, Bengals, Saints, etc.

The running game was there until Mack went down and came back vs. The Bengals.

You don't get to use that excuse at your convenience when they lose and then praise Hoyer when we win. It's cheap and pathetic

Think though, we actually had a running game in the mentioned games.

Couldn't run vs Jags. Couldn't sustain run vs Texans.

When Hoyer doesn't have time to throw it's not pretty, and it usually happens when the run is getting stuffed.

Those 5'7" receivers are good in space, and they should have plenty more space with Mr Gordon's return.

Think though, we actually had a running game in the mentioned games.

Couldn't run vs Jags. Couldn't sustain run vs Texans.

When Hoyer doesn't have time to throw it's not pretty, and it usually happens when the run is getting stuffed.

Those 5'7" receivers are good in space, and they should have plenty more space with Mr Gordon's return.

I like Hoyer and he's handled himself very well here but in that Jacksonville game he over threw a WIDE OPEN Cameron with no pressure that would have made it 10-0 and also missed a WIDE OPEN Bejmamin for a TD. It was a bad game for the entire team but Brian also was a big part of it.

I like Hoyer and he's handled himself very well here but in that Jacksonville game he over threw a WIDE OPEN Cameron with no pressure that would have made it 10-0 and also missed a WIDE OPEN Bejmamin for a TD. It was a bad game for the entire team but Brian also was a big part of it.

Walter, us observant Old Farts have duly noted that. Hoyer's deep ball accuracy (make that inconsistency) is highly suspect. He can throw a perfect pass down the seam- (Cameron in the Steelers game), and then toss a pass in the Texans game (I was there) where you say "who the hell was he throwing to"?

Some of those deep balls he completed on roll outs early in the season would have been walk in touchdowns if he hadn't badly under thrown the ball.

That was the first game without Mack and Jacksonville had pretty consistent pressure.. But he needed to make that throw for sure.

I still think the coaches choice to run on 3rd and short and then PA on 4th and 1 when we coulda went up 9-0 but instead went down 6-7 cost us that one.

Same mistake made last week when Crowell fumbled when we were about to at least go up 10-7, which was huge momentum wise.

I think Hoyer is a game manager with inconsistent accuracy. But he can lock in and string some nice throws together as well. I just can't wait to see how he looks with a real #1 to throw to.

That was the first game without Mack and Jacksonville had pretty consistent pressure.. But he needed to make that throw for sure.

I still think the coaches choice to run on 3rd and short and then PA on 4th and 1 when we coulda went up 9-0 but instead went down 6-7 cost us that one.

Same mistake made last week when Crowell fumbled when we were about to at least go up 10-7, which was huge momentum wise.

I think Hoyer is a game manager with inconsistent accuracy. But he can lock in and string some nice throws together as well. I just can't wait to see how he looks with a real #1 to throw to.

brian hoyer is not a game manager. game managers dont pull together game winning drives like hoyer, game managers don't put up points with a shit receiving crew, below average run game, bad protection, and zero playmakers around him. brian hoyer has all the intangibles, ability, and mentality to be a good to great QB in this league. can't wait to see what he does next year with mack and gordon back and a full off season and some experience with this team. he's going to be in the pro bowl next year

can't wait to see what he does next year with mack and gordon back and a full off season and some experience with this team. he's going to be in the pro bowl next year

What if someone else goes down? Are you going to say I can't wait to see what he does in 2016 with a healthy roster?

My point is that you're never going to have the perfect situation with no injuries or variables.

And if Hoyer and his agent are going to want top money, they are aren't getting it.

These last 6 games will determine the fate of Brian Hoyers future with the Cleveland Browns.

What if someone else goes down? Are you going to say I can't wait to see what he does in 2016 with a healthy roster?

My point is that you're never going to have the perfect situation with no injuries or variables.

And if Hoyer and his agent are going to want top money, they are aren't getting it.

These last 6 games will determine the fate of Brian Hoyers future with the Cleveland Browns.

the perfect situation? i think every can agree that this has probably been the worst situation for a quarterback... im not asking for a perfect situation, but a situation viable for a quarterback to play to his full potential. i dont think peyton manning could play all that well with a sub par run game, no protection, and a bunch of tiny, cookie cutter, receivers who cant get open or make a play unless their set up perfectly. having josh gordon back is going to be huge. he's going to open up alot and give hoyer a safety net. having mack and cameron back would pretty much put hoyer into pro bowl discussion imo. results as a quarterback are not consistent with changed/different environments. look at matt cassel in new england compared to elsewhere. brian hoyer has the intangibles, ability, and mentality to be a really, really good QB.

2 Things I want to point out here.

#1. Brian Hoyer has one of the worst completion percentages in pro football. Before you try to take the blame off Hoyer for this.. I have 2 sub-points...

A- Brian has had a low completion % everywhere he has been. Including college.

B- The Browns have one of the lowest %'s in the league when it comes to dropped passes. So you cant blame the WR's.

C- EVEN WITHOUT ALEX MACK-- The Browns have maintained a top 10 O-Line ranking in the NFL..

#2. What I dont understand from some of you.. is that you say you dont want to take Brian out until we are out of the playoffs...

THAT MAKES NO SENSE.

You dont make a quarterback change "just because".. they arent going to give Johnny the reigns because they feel they "have" to due to draft status or fan clamoring. You make a QB change to provide a spark and hope that it helps the team IMPROVE and PLAY BETTER.

A move to Johnny should be made TO KEEP YOU IN PLAYOFF CONTENTION.. not because you're out of it... if you are out of it.. then what is the point?

I say if we are down 2 scores at halftime. Thats when you bring in JFF.

2 Things I want to point out here.

#1. Brian Hoyer has one of the worst completion percentages in pro football. Before you try to take the blame off Hoyer for this.. I have 2 sub-points...

A- Brian has had a low completion % everywhere he has been. Including college.

B- The Browns have one of the lowest %'s in the league when it comes to dropped passes. So you cant blame the WR's.

C- EVEN WITHOUT ALEX MACK-- The Browns have maintained a top 10 O-Line ranking in the NFL..

#2. What I dont understand from some of you.. is that you say you dont want to take Brian out until we are out of the playoffs...

THAT MAKES NO SENSE.

You dont make a quarterback change "just because".. they arent going to give Johnny the reigns because they feel they "have" to due to draft status or fan clamoring. You make a QB change to provide a spark and hope that it helps the team IMPROVE and PLAY BETTER.

A move to Johnny should be made TO KEEP YOU IN PLAYOFF CONTENTION.. not because you're out of it... if you are out of it.. then what is the point?

I say if we are down 2 scores at halftime. Thats when you bring in JFF.

yea, receivers cant really drop passes when they're not getting open. hoyer's completion percentage before mack went down was 61.6%, which is pretty damn good i'd say with the receiving group. add josh gordon there and its hovering around 70%. no QB can do much when he has a bunch of tiny ass, cookie cutter receivers who cant get open or make a play unless they're set up perfectly, no run game to create any balance, has three pass rushers gunning him down 2 seconds after he takes the snap, and has no safety net to throw to. hoyer has the intangibles, ability, and mentality to be a really, really good QB. no stat in the world will change his decision making, ability to go through his progressions and read the field, soft touch, good throwing mechanics, good footwork, his ability to always step it up when needed most, and his leadership and the way he gets his team to rally around him

yea, receivers cant really drop passes when they're not getting open. hoyer's completion percentage before mack went down was %61.6, which is pretty damn good i'd say with the receiving group. add josh gordon there and its hovering around 70%. no QB can do much when he has a bunch of tiny ass, cookie cutter receivers who cant get open or make a play unless they're set up perfectly, no run game to create any balance, has three pass rushers gunning him down 2 seconds after he takes the snap, and has no safety net to throw to. hoyer has the intangibles, ability, and mentality to be a really, really good QB. no stat in the world will change his decision making, ability to go through his progressions and read the field, soft touch, good throwing mechanics, good footwork, his ability to always step it up when needed most, and his leadership and the way he gets his team to rally around him

Thats funny..

seeing as how theres talk on the radio.. TV.. and articles on the internet pointing to Farmers "genius" putting a bunch of short and quick WR's on the field that can get more.. and easier separation from corners than the bigger taller WR's who dont have the same COD skills.

Did you read the interviews in pre-season about how uncoverable Hawkins was? He was too small and too quick... he goes in and out of his cuts soo nimbly the corners cant keep up.

Open? Hoyer connects most of his passes on play action.. where his WR's are standing out there waiting for him to get the ball there with no one around.

You are correct in that Josh Gordon will help. Not just because of his size.. but because of his ability to properly release.. change direction.. and accelerate AT his size.

ALSO...

The compl% stat is cute.. put you can spin those whichever way you want..

you could also say that after teams got 8 games of film.. of Hoyer starting in the NFL so they can see his tendancies and gameplan for him... that his play went downward

People make an awful lot of assumptions about Manziel. I've seen that story before. Everyone was so sure Brady Quinn was gonna save us all. Yea, not so much. Ran Anderson outta town with the incessant clamoring for Captain Checkdown. Anderson was never more than the guy who could throw bullets...even when he shouldn't...but he was better than Quinn. Fans thought they knew better than the coaching staff. This coaching staff has told everyone who the better QB is right now, but I'm sure you all know better this time, too.

What is they say about assuming and being an ass?

What happens if/when you all get your wish and Manziel doesn't deliver? And by deliver, I mean a better record than 8-4 in his first full 12 games. Nothing less will be acceptable. If we run the guy outta town who has done that for us, we better be sure Manziel can do better.

Till this playoff run is over, Hoyer is it period. Once out of playoffs, {possible At Carolina}, Browns will not BENCH Hoyer, but they got to take a look at #2..If Farmer is thinking of franchise tagging Hoyer next season and you don't have a #2QB, they properly sign Hoyer make's decision easy. There is no QB in draft better than Johnny next year. Johnny's Signed. If Johnny can't beat out a Hoyer,where the hell can he start and play for a winner,, My $$ on C-Town. Go Browns!!

Great... another Manziel fan who bitches about Hoyer, so that someday,

when it's Manziel coming in, he'll claim he was a genius.

deja vu all over again. Like Gip said, I think it was... Groundhog Day.

brian hoyer is not a game manager.

Then why is his picture next to the term in my football dictionary?

According to?

Is the ranking stat driven?

If yes, does it include the Mack lead data points that earned us the top spot?

#2. What I dont understand from some of you.. is that you say you dont want to take Brian out until we are out of the playoffs... THAT MAKES NO SENSE.

Apparently it makes perfect sense to the coaching staff... the ones who see JM in practice everyday and are in the best position to choose between their two primary QB options.

You make a QB change to provide a spark and hope that it helps the team IMPROVE and PLAY BETTER.

Hope? You cannot do it based upon hope.

As for the spark... JM did not spark anything in his two, "package" appearances. And if ever we needed a spark it was the JAX or HOU games... and yet our staff passed on that opportunity.

The point would be to evaluate a potential, "future QB" option, while getting the QB you did not think was best equipped to pilot your playoff run some OJT.

I would bet a six pack on that and a six pack that will never he elite. I will probably win both bets and will split at worst.

Such bravery... proposes an offsetting bet that is subjective, might not be settled for years and requires a performance level achieved by maybe 5 active QBs.

i think PlayGroundLegend must have fell from the monkey bars and hit his head.

this fan base is crazy. when it looks like we finally have stepped from the shadows and have found a QB that can get us more wins than any other QB we've had in 7 years, people just want to throw that all away to see what a spoiled little punk who is our #2 QB can do, just to do it, with no other reasoning at all. "we've got to see what he can do!" well i guess pettine and farmer have seen what he can do and deemed it not as good as hoyer or else they would have made the switch earlier.

hopefully our coaching staff and FO personnel have a little more from the neck up than a lot of browns fans do on this topic, unless of course those fans don't mind throwing games away or potentially ruining a rookie's career.

Archived