THE BROWNS BOARD

Cardale Jones

WalterWhite

Retard post. Zombo is a southern denizan and a SEC fan by default. He didn't watch much Big 10 football, including Jones.

Z was born in Pa. What makes you think he is an SEC fan by default? Besides.....what kind of a dumbass would call themselves an "SEC" fan? You might be a Florida fan or a Georgia fan or a Vanderbilt fan or an Alabama fan...but being a "fan" of a conference is stupid. Your most hated rivals are your conference rivals.

Fuck Michigan.

Get it now?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are quite a few teams in the Big Ten I root for when they don't play OSU, like PSU, Wisconsin, and the lowly Hoosiers. And other than Michigan (which doesn't have to worry about bowl games) I want Big Ten teams to do well in bowl games.

Z was born in Pa. What makes you think he is an SEC fan by default? Besides.....what kind of a dumbass would call themselves an "SEC" fan? You might be a Florida fan or a Georgia fan or a Vanderbilt fan or an Alabama fan...but being a "fan" of a conference is stupid. Your most hated rivals are your conference rivals.

Fuck Michigan.

Get it now?

IIRC Z is a Penn State fan......

There are quite a few teams in the Big Ten I root for when they don't play OSU, like PSU, Wisconsin, and the lowly Hoosiers. And other than Michigan (which doesn't have to worry about bowl games) I want Big Ten teams to do well in bowl games.

Yep, I'll never root for Michigan but I'm definitely hoping for Big Ten teams to win the bigger bowl games.

I'd trade Johnny , a sixer and a dozen donuts for him right now!

Ditto. Would Johnny Football even be the starter next year at OSU? I have serious doubts.

Jones was reading D's... throwing into windows. That deep cross in the 2nd half was beautiful.

What he stepped in and did these last three games is unparalleled to my knowledge... (Gip?). At least in reality... Keanu Reeves in "The Replacements" was in the neighborhood.

Maybe the 2nd coming of Culpepper with even more talent?

Count me in...

Too bad we can't draft him in April. Yar- another Cleveland product. Agreed he probably needs another year in college. There is no doubt- zero- the kid has an NFL arm. 12 Gauge is an apt nickname. Only question will be, does he have an NFL brain? Loved hearing he essentially turned his cell phone off before the game- only was taking calls from his mom and the coaches- the anti-Manziel. In game, that rocket over the middle through coverage had me saying holy s**t. As pretty 50 yard ropes as you'd ever want to see on target- on the move- shades of Big Ben. Looked like Can Newton when he decided to run- duly impressed he knocked Oregon's 315 pound nose tackle backwards when they collided.

Urban, you have yourself one hell of a good problem next year- there won't be enough footballs to go around. If I were Braxton Millier- I'd think about transferring, can't see you beating out Barrett or Jones.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls14/story/_/id/12159290/cardale-jones-ohio-state-buckeyes-marcus-mariota-oregon-ducks-undecided-nfl-draft

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Cardale Jones started the year as Ohio State's third-string quarterback and led the Buckeyes to a national championship, while Heisman winner Marcus Mariota's season ended without the honor that mattered to him most.

Both are now left pondering a jump to the NFL.

Entering Monday night's game, Mariota said he would trade the Heisman Trophy he won this season for a national championship because the team honor was more important to the Oregon Ducks' junior quarterback.

More from ESPN.com

mcshay_todd_m.jpgCardale Jones is an "extremely raw Ben Roethlisberger," writes Todd McShay. If Jones goes pro, where will he be drafted?Story in.gif

schlabach_mark_m.jpgStar turns from QB Cardale Jones and RB Ezekiel Elliott help propel Ohio State to an improbable championship, Mark Schlabach writes.Story

Instead, Jones and the Buckeyes overpowered the Ducks for a 42-20 victory in the College Football Playoff National Championship presented by AT&T.

It might have been Mariota's final game with Oregon. He has until Thursday to decide whether he will skip his senior season and declare for the NFL draft. Mariota, who already has completed his degree, is expected to be a top pick.

Did the devastating loss change his mind about coming back?

"I'm sure it will weigh in a little bit, but there's a lot of other things that have to play into that decision," Mariota said. "There's starting grad school, coming back for another year to improve, there's a lot of other things that could bring me back. It's just not specifically this loss."

Jones, a third-year sophomore, is also eligible to enter the draft. It's now a feasible option after the way he played in the final three games of the season, and since there's no guarantee he'll be the Buckeyes' starter next season.

He was the MVP of the Big Ten championship game, a 59-0 rout of Wisconsin, in his first college start. He then led the Buckeyes to wins over Alabama in the Allstate Sugar Bowl and Oregon in Monday night's national championship game.

Asked about the NFL, Jones said, "It's definitely a 'who knows?' right now."

His top priority is getting his degree. But if he returns next season, there's no guarantee he will get the No. 1 job with Braxton Miller and J.T. Barrett possibly waiting in the wings.

Jones threw for 257 yards and three touchdowns against Wisconsin in his first college start. He passed for 243 yards and another TD in a 42-35 win over Alabama. He turned in another solid performance in the title game, despite an odd play that resulted in a fumble, completing 16 of 23 passes for 242 yards and a score with one interception.

Mike and Mike

ESPN NFL draft Insider Todd McShay offers his insights on the abilities of Marcus Mariota and Cardale Jones, Mariota's potential and whether Jones should enter the 2015 NFL draft.

More Podcasts »

"It's up in the air, sort of, because my No. 1 priority is graduating from Ohio State University and walking away with something that no one can take away from me," Jones said.

The soft-spoken, lead-by-example Mariota had a stellar season despite the loss.

In addition to the Heisman, Mariota was named The Associated Press Player of the Year and the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year, among a slew of other awards.

He set a conference record for touchdowns in a season with 58. He had 42 via pass, 15 on the run and one touchdown catch. He also set the conference mark for career touchdowns with 136. He has thrown at least one touchdown pass in all 41 games he has started in his career, the second-longest streak in NCAA history behind Marshall's Rakeem Cato (46). And Mariota is one of four quarterbacks in FBS history to pass for more than 10,000 yards and run for more than 2,000 in his career.

Mike and Mike

ESPN CFB analyst Danny Kanell discusses Ohio State's defense, how the College Football Playoff National Championship affects Marcus Mariota's draft stock and Cardale Jones' future.

More Podcasts »

But Mariota faced challenges against Ohio State.

Oregon's receiver corps was hit earlier in the week when redshirt freshman Darren Carrington was declared ineligible for the game because of a failed NCAA drug test. Carrington did not travel to Texas for the biggest game of the season. The team already had lost freshman receiver Devon Allen, who also runs on Oregon's track team, on the opening kickoff of the Ducks' 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual.

Junior tight end Pharaoh Brown had six touchdown catches for the Ducks this season before he suffered a season-ending knee injury against Utah. And before the season started, junior receiver Bralon Addison tore a ligament in his left knee.

That left Oregon, which regularly uses three- and four-receiver formations, with just Dwayne Stanford, Keanon Lowe, Charles Nelson and converted running back Byron Marshall.

"It's tough. It happens. It's a part of football," Mariota said about the injuries. "But I thought that the guys who played stepped up and made plays."

Graded out by McShay as a third-rounder. I say absolutely. There is literally no downside to this.

(You're welcome for the linkbuilding, ESPN.)

Like I've been saying, if I was Cardale I'd be on the phone this morning with every major football program and the NCAA about transferring to be able to play next year. I truly think with one more year of starts under his belt (assuming he plays the same level) he'd be a lock top ten pick. It's very risk-reward for him but I don't see how you can take the job away from Barrett either. Man, I see all sides of this one. That's gotta be a hard choice for the guy and I hope he comes out on the right side of it.

Like I've been saying, if I was Cardale I'd be on the phone this morning with every major football program and the NCAA about transferring to be able to play next year. I truly think with one more year of starts under his belt (assuming he plays the same level) he'd be a lock top ten pick. It's very risk-reward for him but I don't see how you can take the job away from Barrett either. Man, I see all sides of this one. That's gotta be a hard choice for the guy and I hope he comes out on the right side of it.

Problem for Jones is- he can't transfer without sitting out a year. Braxton Miller can, because he's already graduated.

I agree with McShay extremely raw Ben Rothlisberger is an apt description.

Problem for Jones is- he can't transfer without sitting out a year. Braxton Miller can, because he's already graduated.

I agree with McShay extremely raw Ben Rothlisberger is an apt description.

See kids who transfer is something I don't quite understand. It seems like the NCAA makes exceptions quite a lot for students but I never quite get. I suppose this is a pretty clear-cut case of the sitting out rule, but would there be any room for an appeal?

Well.....he can do like a lot of others do now and go to a 1-AA or FCS school to play right away.....

and, now that the world knows about him and how he's played against top talent, it probably would help him more than hurt him...

My first reaction was big big big mistake on his part if he were to jump after playing 3 collegiate games. Yeah 3rd rounder at best cause you don't have any idea about this kid other than he came in for 3 games with a beasted out OSU squad. And the fact that the starting job is likely his to lose next year, why not go for a 2nd title? It's possible though people are telling him he's better off in the long run being a 3rd or 4th rounder and being taught the NFL game as a 2nd or 3rd stringer somewhere....than play for Urban Meyer who's gonna make him a "great" college qb but play in an offense that if he gets used to it the NFL transition will be that much harder. This is possibly what happened to Tebow....his skillset worked great in Meyers system so why work on his delivery etc, etc.

My first reaction was big big big mistake on his part if he were to jump after playing 3 collegiate games. Yeah 3rd rounder at best cause you don't have any idea about this kid other than he came in for 3 games with a beasted out OSU squad. And the fact that the starting job is likely his to lose next year, why not go for a 2nd title? It's possible though people are telling him he's better off in the long run being a 3rd or 4th rounder and being taught the NFL game as a 2nd or 3rd stringer somewhere....than play for Urban Meyer who's gonna make him a "great" college qb but play in an offense that if he gets used to it the NFL transition will be that much harder. This is possibly what happened to Tebow....his skillset worked great in Meyers system so why work on his delivery etc, etc.

He can't transfer and play, nor can he be guaranteed the job over barrett.

I'd take him as a late round project, but Meyer's system isn't an NFL system.

I'd take Him in the 1ST. Against Oregon he had 1 bad pass and even it wasn't that bad. Pro teams will look at the game tapes on him and see he is very very accurate. And there is not a throw he cannot make. He looks really good in a solid pocket and is more elusive than Ben.n

If Jones sticks at OSU and starts, then he might fuck up and win the Heisman.

Graded out by McShay as a third-rounder. I say absolutely. There is literally no downside to this.

... or even a second, which is where Mel put him. First? Can't see that...

I'd take him as a late round project, but Meyer's system isn't an NFL system.

But the skill I glimpsed is transferrable.

Yeah, the OSU in Corvallis. I don't give a shit about Ohio State normally but I was flying buckeye flags across the state of Oregon all week. GO BUCKS. Ha ha FUCK THE DUCKS

And by the way don't draft Sean mannion. If you want a Mike Riley OSU qb go get MAtt Moore or DA. Sean mannion ain't in their class.

Lums- great to see you back after a long absence. As Tour said "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." For guys who are relatively new around here- Lumburgh is a diehard OSU (Oregon State) fan. And for the last time- he is NOT Zombo yanking your chain.

Yes Jones did make that dumb comment- but at least he is doing well in his AA studies major.

From a business standpoint, and if he were my son, I would have him declare for the draft.

His stock, although very short in history, is incredibly high. High enough where I say someone takes him in the late part of the first round. This is a QB starved league, and if he comes out, I would spend a first because the payoff could be astronomical.

Where do you find that kind of accuracy, that kind of velocity, and that size?

His stock may go higher in college, or it may go down.

What you said. He's no more a risk than Johnny Freaking Flop. Might only be a three game sample- but it was the highest level three game sample you'd ever want to see. I might be an OSU homer- but the qb with the best NFL potential in the Championship game wasn't Mariota. Um the Browns have two first round picks- and if they used one on Cardale- I wouldn't be too particularly upset about it.

If he does come out.....what would you guys think? not sure i'm willing to spend one of our 1st rounders on him but if things don't look good and we trade down he could be there.

What do you see him as? Pretty much everybody is saying he's not NFL ready, so are you willing to spend a 2nd rounder on a project QB? Similarly big-armed, big bodied QBs like Mettenberger and Logan Thomas went in the 6th last time.

Another thing to consider is right now his stock is as high as it will possibly get. Once the formal draft process begins and the high of the championship wears off his stock will fall some, at least in my opinion. I'd be shocked if he does go despite his upside if he went in the first four rounds.

Another thing to consider is right now his stock is as high as it will possibly get. Once the formal draft process begins and the high of the championship wears off his stock will fall some

Id agree with this......

Soon, all the draft publications will come out....opinions will start flying....."media babes" will be born ....and good players(today) will evolve into sure fire superstars by draft time....book it!

and some freak(maybe Cardale) will run really fast and jump really high at the combine and suddenly become the best prospect ever.....

Id agree with this......

Soon, all the draft publications will come out....opinions will start flying....."media babes" will be born ....and good players(today) will evolve into sure fire superstars by draft time....book it!

and some freak(maybe Cardale) will run really fast and jump really high at the combine and suddenly become the best prospect ever.....

I do wonder though, how many QBs have such a small, but high profile sample set? Tannehill was considered risky because he only had 17(?) starts, Jones only has 3. Objectively, I'd like to see him transfer because presumably he won't beat out both Miller and Barrett for the starting gig, and he really needs some game time to showcase his ability.

I do wonder though, how many QBs have such a small, but high profile sample set? Tannehill was considered risky because he only had 17(?) starts, Jones only has 3. Objectively, I'd like to see him transfer because presumably he won't beat out both Miller and Barrett for the starting gig, and he really needs some game time to showcase his ability.

Yep....I think a transfer is in his best interest. ....he could and should go to an FCS school to play another year.....heck, he could even go DIV 2 now, because no matter where he goes, they will all be watching very closely....

He has to declare by tomorrow, so we will know soon enough if this discussion is even relevant right now.....

Yep....I think a transfer is in his best interest. ....he could and should go to an FCS school to play another year.....heck, he could even go DIV 2 now, because no matter where he goes, they will all be watching very closely....

He has to declare by tomorrow, so we will know soon enough if this discussion is even relevant right now.....

He surely won't declare?

He surely won't declare?

I have no idea what he'll do.....it's a HUGE decision for a kid to make on such short notice.....just a month ago this wasn't even a glimmer of a possibility for him, so you know his head is spinning from all the attention and opinions.....

Personally, if I was E. Meyer, Id be starting him next season and would be telling him that. My thinking is that, even as good as Barrett and Miller were, Cardale proved he could win it all and be a championship QB.....while the other 2 are still just potential winners.....

I doubt Meyer does that....but, I would.....

Archived