THE BROWNS BOARD

Cardale Jones

WalterWhite

And? tOSU's line and skill players have nothing to do with this conversation. They don't help Cardale improve his play between the ears. Tim had to make better reads in his system to improve. Sure, you can have success at a school like this with someone like Beockman, but a standout QB is a standout QB. I'd say the big difference between those Florida teams and this OSU team is that there is more of a downfield, vertical passing game. That, is something that matters.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And? tOSU's line and skill players have nothing to do with this conversation. They don't help Cardale improve his play between the ears. Tim had to make better reads in his system to improve. I'd say the big difference between those Florida teams and this OSU team is that there is more of a downfield, vertical passing game. That, is something that matters.

It has everything to do with this conversation. There are few top programs that require NFL type quarterback work and you'll hear all about it. Look at the starting QBs in the NFL, one has a National Championship - Cam Newton. And then there's the AFC North TCU, Delaware and Miami of Ohio.

Love Zeke... I mean how could you not? Of all the positives I may like his ball security best. Haven't seen anyone carry the ball that high, that tight since Tiki V2.0.

But back on QBs...

What schools actually run schemes that require QB reads beyond "see if your primary is open"? Not too many that I see anymore.

It's too risky to put too much responsibility on a QB's shoulders. Safer to have them look for an open primary, and if not there pull it down and run. Also you can teach that in a year (or less... maybe much less). That makes it better to trade size for speed in your recruiting.

I saw CJ making reads, finding holes to throw into. My guess is his size/ speed ratio makes him have to. While he's far from a statue, he does not have the speed to break a "big one". What he has is the size to stand in there and deliver the ball.

Urban may not require D-reading of all his QBs, but he has one that can.

Love Zeke... I mean how could you not? Of all the positives I may like his ball security best. Haven't seen anyone carry the ball that high, that tight since Tiki V2.0.

But back on QBs...

What schools actually run schemes that require QB reads beyond "see if your primary is open"? Not too many that I see anymore.

It's too risky to put too much responsibility on a QB's shoulders. Safer to have them look for an open primary, and if not there pull it down and run. Also you can teach that in a year (or less... maybe much less). That makes it better to trade size for speed in your recruiting.

I saw CJ making reads, finding holes to throw into. My guess is his size/ speed ratio makes him have to. While he's far from a statue, he does not have the speed to break a "big one". What he has is the size to stand in there and deliver the ball.

Urban may not require D-reading of all his QBs, but he has one that can.

I really only watched the Alabama & Oregon game and Jones looked like the standard Cam Newton, JeMarcus Russell, EJ Manuel, Josh Freeman etc. Which isn't to say bad but not something I'd want Farmer to bet the farm on in 2016, pun intended. Maybe another year in college will change that.

We can stop talking about him. He'll never be a Cleveland Brown. We'll win 9 games next year in spite of Manziel, Cardale will go in the top 5, then we'll lose 12 games for each of the following three seasons, release Manziel and start all over with some other shitty quarterback.

I really only watched the Alabama & Oregon game and Jones looked like the standard Cam Newton, JeMarcus Russell, EJ Manuel, Josh Freeman etc. Which isn't to say bad but not something I'd want Farmer to bet the farm on in 2016, pun intended. Maybe another year in college will change that.

It's funny, because I saw more Roethlisberger than Newton.

Newton is more of a runner, escapes the pocket often, more nimble than powerful, and has little-to-no touch on most passes. Newton's mechanics are shit, he throws off his back foot routinely, and when he's constantly pressured he either rolls out or tries to force passes. Newton's go-to maneuver is to work up then out, he takes one step up in the pocket and often then moves out between the guard and tackle to one side of the field.

Jones, for the most part, didn't display any of that behavior. He showed ability to go through progressions (moreso in the National Championship than the other two games), he displayed poise under duress, he often stayed in the pocket until the last second and, when he did run, his runs were more north-south than east-west.

Now, keep in mind, this was only through three games. He also showed ineffectiveness and indecision against Wisconsin. But his personal progression through those three games was remarkable. By the time the National Championship rolled around, there were articles claiming that Jones, and not the Heisman-trophy winning QB for the other team, would be the best QB on the field that night (and they weren't wrong).

Obviously some of this is fandom on my part, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that he played fucking fantastic against three of the top defenses in the nation...so anyone who'd like to chime in with a little "homer" quip can shut the fuck right up before they even start.

The only comparison between the Jones and Newton (in my opinion) is that they are both tall, black, and have strong arms. That's about where the comparison ends.

This scouting report is one that I think could be very similar to Jones's whenever he decides to declare:

Positives: Good size, speed and outstanding athletic ability for the position. Has a quick setup, a very strong arm and large hands. Can drill the outs and air the ball out. Took to the new offense very well and went from being a thrower with poor mechanics to a pitcher with solid mechanics. Is a good leader and a tough guy. Very accurate from hash to sideline. Works hard and shows he will pay the price. Athletic but doesn't force issue with athleticism. Also has a 35½-inch vertical leap, and ran a 3.99 shuttle and 7.19 three-cone.

Negatives: Lacks great accuracy throwing down the field. May never be a high-percentage passer. Played in a very QB-friendly offense that at times masked some of his shortcomings.

Summary: May have improved as much as any quarterback in the country and went from a free agent to a first-round pick in the past year. As long as he shows adequate accuracy at his pro day, will be one of the first quarterbacks taken.

Care to guess who's scouting report that was? I'll give you a hundred doll hairs if you can guess it without Googling.

Cardale is a "tale of the tape" guy and Farmer said in his presser he's not a measurables guy.

Maybe Cardale becomes an accurate pocket passer and improves his reads but that isn't necessary to be successful at Ohio State.

Were you watching the same Championship game? 50 yard ropes dead accurate? Drilled an over the middle NFL throw? Threw the ball away when no one was open?

We can stop talking about him. He'll never be a Cleveland Brown. We'll win 9 games next year in spite of Manziel, Cardale will go in the top 5, then we'll lose 12 games for each of the following three seasons, release Manziel and start all over with some other shitty quarterback.

^ THIS.

Newton is more of a runner, escapes the pocket often, more nimble than powerful, and has little-to-no touch on most passes. Newton's mechanics are shit, he throws off his back foot routinely, and when he's constantly pressured he either rolls out or tries to force passes. Newton's go-to maneuver is to work up then out, he takes one step up in the pocket and often then moves out between the guard and tackle to one side of the field.

Jones, for the most part, didn't display any of that behavior. He showed ability to go through progressions (moreso in the National Championship than the other two games), he displayed poise under duress, he often stayed in the pocket until the last second and, when he did run, his runs were more north-south than east-west.

Now, keep in mind, this was only through three games. He also showed ineffectiveness and indecision against Wisconsin. But his personal progression through those three games was remarkable. By the time the National Championship rolled around, there were articles claiming that Jones, and not the Heisman-trophy winning QB for the other team, would be the best QB on the field that night (and they weren't wrong).

Obviously some of this is fandom on my part, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that he played fucking fantastic against three of the top defenses in the nation...so anyone who'd like to chime in with a little "homer" quip can shut the fuck right up before they even start.

The only comparison between the Jones and Newton (in my opinion) is that they are both tall, black, and have strong arms. That's about where the comparison ends.

This scouting report is one that I think could be very similar to Jones's whenever he decides to declare:

Care to guess who's scouting report that was? I'll give you a hundred doll hairs if you can guess it without Googling.

Cam Newton? It sure as hell isn't Manziel.

Were you watching the same Championship game? 50 yard ropes dead accurate? Drilled an over the middle NFL throw? Threw the ball away when no one was open?

^ THIS.

Cam Newton? It sure as hell isn't Manziel.

I would take a shot on Newton right now.. provided we could get him...

We can stop talking about him. He'll never be a Cleveland Brown. We'll win 9 games next year in spite of Manziel...

9?

I googled... Interesting.

Archived