THE BROWNS BOARD

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The irony of all this is that Josh was in exactly the same position as Johnny when injury forced him into the starters position. He played very well but was replaced by Cutler when he was cleared only for Cutler to blow it so Chicago did not make the playoffs. History hopefully will not repeat here. Go Browns and thanks Johnboy (fits well with fanboys) for a memorable game.

Q: Did you hear that Cleveland's football team doesn't have a website?
A: They can't string three "Ws" together.

Sorry-I just could not resist. :P

The Browns will be like 2-7 or 3-9 and then Pettine will play Manziel once the season is broken.

Apparently, you can't start a Poll anymore- because I tried to. How many losses will it take to get McCown benched? Admittedly, it's easier to play Josh and bench him, & bring in Johnny if he sucks- than the other way around. It may not matter- because if McCown hasn't figured out in his forced layoff he has to curb his reckless- and it do mean reckless- style of running outside the pocket- he's not going to last very long anyway. I've said elsewhere that helicopter he took in the Jets game wasn't the first time this year he took a kill shot.

Playing McCown likely wins more games this season but he is not a young guy. Playing Johnny lets the staff know exactly what they have in him. If he does well, great. If he stinks up the joint, you know that drafting a QB is a very real possibility.

See above. So let's blow another season and find out we still have no answer at quarterback. Regarding those stats- HEY PETTINE- Manziel may be leading the league in quarterback fumbles with 4, you know who's right behind? Winston and Mariota with 3. I suppose they should be benched too, until they learn better ball security.

I don't know if Johnny is going to end up being the guy, but let's be honest, does anyone on this board think we have a shot at the Super Bowl this year? So let's say McCown is the better option this season, and we win an extra game or two with him at the helm. We end up 7-9 or 8-8. What is the point of the extra two wins with McCown? There would be some legitimacy to that argument if we were a bubble playoff team, but we just aren't that team. Starting Manziel at least lets us find out if he is the guy or we need to look elsewhere. I just don't buy that waiting a year to start Manziel so he can develop and learn is somehow going to dramatically change the results. Somehow starting him this year turns him into a bust and if we would have only waited until next year he would have been a HOFer. We shouldn't be delusional about McCown either. He was 2-14 last year for the fucking trainwreck Bucs.

yup.

His inability to move the chains was masked by the inability of the coaches to be less than superconservative (read that entirely predictable) in the 3rd and 4th quarters and set him up for 3rd and long which is a sackers wet dream. The second bomb was set up by moving the chains from the 20 to the 50. The second TD was set up by moving them deep into the red zone. The first bomb was a planned play off a correct reading of the D by both QB and receiver. None of it was luck. Get your facts straight.

I said it elsewhere- Pettine was playing not to lose sitting on a lead- and it almost cost them. Go look up the play by play. the Browns ran on EVERY first down in the third and fourth quarter- and the vast majority of second down on top of it- talk about predictable. Johnny bailed them out with a schoolyard play.

Young had to sit behind Montana. Rodgers had to wait behind Favre. McCown is a legend. Manziel needs to wait his fucking turn.

:) Safe to say the only way Josh is getting in the HOF- to paraphrase one announcer- is if he buys a ticket, like everyone else. In conclusion- Dear Mr. Pettine- you made a tough decision- you had better be right. Anything less than 9-7 with Josh at the controls will be unacceptable to the fan base- and you know it.

"I said it elsewhere- Pettine was playing not to lose sitting on a lead- and it almost cost them. Go look up the play by play. the Browns ran on EVERY first down in the third and fourth quarter- and the vast majority of second down on top of it- talk about predictable. Johnny bailed them out with a schoolyard play."-Hoorta

Thanks for backing up my point to the guy who kept arguing that JM could not move the chains. Apparently he watched a different 3-4th Q.

who cares if it's unacceptable to the fanbase? who the fuck are we? some monday morning armchair coaches and qbs? a bunch of whiners that cry everytime a decision is made that we don't like?

jeezus christ, man the fuck up and let these people do their jobs. 2 weeks in we're 1 and 1 and the world is crumbling and the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse are crashing through the sky.

same people that bitched about weeden are the same people that bitched about mccoy are the same people bitching about mccown. the same people that are still crying about watkins or mack or bridgewater are the same people who just love to bitch. and i'm about to click ignore on all of them.

isn't it great to complain about shit you have no control over? bunch of bitches, for real.

^ This, all of it. I tend to stay away from the forum now because of it. I wait until game day in the tavern to talk football with real Browns fans, and not fans of a dude.

who cares if it's unacceptable to the fanbase? who the fuck are we? some monday morning armchair coaches and qbs? a bunch of whiners that cry everytime a decision is made that we don't like?

jeezus christ, man the fuck up and let these people do their jobs. 2 weeks in we're 1 and 1 and the world is crumbling and the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse are crashing through the sky.

same people that bitched about weeden are the same people that bitched about mccoy are the same people bitching about mccown. the same people that are still crying about watkins or mack or bridgewater are the same people who just love to bitch. and i'm about to click ignore on all of them.

isn't it great to complain about shit you have no control over? bunch of bitches, for real.

BINGO!!

I don't think it has as much to do with the fan base as with the pundits. The guys supposed to be sports gurus who are pretty much all a little bit shocked.

You have to admit it's not a common practice of professional football coaches, successful or otherwise, preferring to start journeyman over your first round quarterback pick.

WSS

Yup Mik- we have no control over what the coaching staff does or doesn't do. I'm willing to let McCown fall flat on his face, should that happen- and his track record is less than stellar, no? So excuse me I'm skeptical McCown will succeed where washed up retreads like Dilfer, Garcia, Delhomme, and Wallace have proceeded to suck. FWIW, several of those guys have (had) better resumes than Jake.

The more serious question is what's Haslam going to do if Pettine (assisted by Farmer) brought in yet another big stinking pile of crap at the qb position? I'm saying- If Pettine's right- he's going to look like a genius- if he's wrong- well. He's going to have no choice but to start Johnny when the Browns are 2-8 or 3-7 at the bye. Another season flushed down the toilet. The Ghoolie pessimist in me could easily see that happening. Go take a look at some of the recent NFL power rankings and tell me I'm making that scenario up. I'm getting too damn old to keep putting up with yet another lost season.

I don't think it has as much to do with the fan base as with the pundits. The guys supposed to be sports gurus who are pretty much all a little bit shocked.

You have to admit it's not a common practice of professional football coaches, successful or otherwise, preferring to start journeyman over your first round quarterback pick.

WSS

The above says it Steve. If said journeyman sucks- Pettine may have bought himself a ticket out of town.

I continue to marvel at a thought process that sees no downside in thrusting an ill-prepared player with a history of substance abuse connected to pressure situations into the full-time starting role of an NFL team.

I mean... what could possibly go wrong?

Also not common... first-round picks that cannot beat out a journeyman starter.

And fuck the pundits... even if there was truth in "pretty much all", Pet and staff aren't sitting around watching ESPN.

To paraphrase Paul B...

The fan-base influence is zero and the pundit influence is even less.

Yup Mik- we have no control over what the coaching staff does or doesn't do. I'm willing to let McCown fall flat on his face, should that happen- and his track record is less than stellar, no? So excuse me I'm skeptical McCown will succeed where washed up retreads like Dilfer, Garcia, Delhomme, and Wallace have proceeded to suck. FWIW, several of those guys have (had) better resumes than Jake.

Except those were different teams with different personnel and different coaches. Comparing the 2015 McCown Browns to the 2010 Delhomme Browns is no different than comparing the Houston Texans to the Permian Panthers.

McCown's track record was less than stellar, except that those were all different teams with different personnel and different situations. In the (extremely) limited time McCown had against the Jets, the offense looked just as capable as (if not more than) Manziel's offense.

McCown wasn't brought in here to be a long term option. Those guys were. Those guys were brought in to be THE GUY and to win games and get us to the playoffs. McCown was brought in to win games and get us to the playoffs, sure, but he was more brought in to help mentor THE GUY - unlike Hoyer.

Everyone bitches for consistency, then complain when they get it.

The more serious question is what's Haslam going to do if Pettine (assisted by Farmer) brought in yet another big stinking pile of crap at the qb position? I'm saying- If Pettine's right- he's going to look like a genius- if he's wrong- well. He's going to have no choice but to start Johnny when the Browns are 2-8 or 3-7 at the bye. Another season flushed down the toilet. The Ghoolie pessimist in me could easily see that happening. Go take a look at some of the recent NFL power rankings and tell me I'm making that scenario up. I'm getting too damn old to keep putting up with yet another lost season.

And, if that's the case, what evidence do you have that Johnny doesn't win the next six games?

The above says it Steve. If said journeyman sucks- Pettine may have bought himself a ticket out of town.

Overreaction at its finest. Also attributing personnel moves to a HC, rather than the GM, at its finest.

Here's the thing, tour, I think this soap opera is so convoluted that we don't know who wanted who. Did Mike Pettne not want Johnny? Did ray farmer want him and this is part of the conflict between Mike and Ray? Did Jimmy want him and the other two are just being good soldiers? If so I'm surprised that Coach Pettine has treated him with such disdain so far. It really did start last year, he pretty much came out and said fuck you your a backup and implied that he didn't even like that setup.

I understand you are not a fan but

All of us get defensive if the pundits predict 3 and 13 for the Browns right? But when they questioned the coach's decision to not start the guy that should be considered the future of your franchise... And really if he isn't why even keep him?

So what's your take? Who wanted Johnny in the first place? And who didn't? I can't imagine there'd be three no votes. But there could be only 1 yes vote. Do you think coach and farmer disagreed?

And do you guess it's just the coach's manner to be kind of a prick or if he really just doesn't like the kid?

WSS

I continue to marvel at a thought process that sees no downside in thrusting an ill-prepared player with a history of substance abuse connected to pressure situations into the full-time starting role of an NFL team.

I mean... what could possibly go wrong?

If Pettine & Co. have determined Johnny isn't ready yet- I'll accept that reasoning.

OTOH- if Johnny can't beat out McCown yet- can we say wasted draft pick?

OTOH? On To Our House?

I think my answer is "no", but need an acronym assist to be sure...

bbl... gtgg*

*be back later... got to go grade...

OTOH? On To Our House?

I think my answer is "no", but need an acronym assist to be sure...

bbl... gtgg*

*be back later... got to go grade...

That's an old one- surprised you don't know it. On the Other Hand.

Except those were different teams with different personnel and different coaches. Comparing the 2015 McCown Browns to the 2010 Delhomme Browns is no different than comparing the Houston Texans to the Permian Panthers.

McCown's track record was less than stellar, except that those were all different teams with different personnel and different situations. In the (extremely) limited time McCown had against the Jets, the offense looked just as capable as (if not more than) Manziel's offense.

McCown wasn't brought in here to be a long term option. Those guys were. Those guys were brought in to be THE GUY and to win games and get us to the playoffs. McCown was brought in to win games and get us to the playoffs, sure, but he was more brought in to help mentor THE GUY - unlike Hoyer.

Everyone bitches for consistency, then complain when they get it.

And, if that's the case, what evidence do you have that Johnny doesn't win the next six games?

Overreaction at its finest. Also attributing personnel moves to a HC, rather than the GM, at its finest.

Well, TC- McCown has been in 6 different situations prior to the Browns- (had to look at Pro Football Reference), and been found lacking in all of them. But now yessir- it's all going to be different somehow. Josh wasn't in the right system to succeed- so how many exactly does he need to show his stuff? This isn't my take now- it was from day one when Farmer brought him in. So yeah I'll blame Farmer for some questionable moves, if Pettine is only playing the cards he's bean dealt.

Let's just say we really don't know what Manziel's potential is yet. Am I being a nasty old curmudgeon if I posit I know what McCown's is? Like career backup- that's been proven in spades? Or do you want me to hope Josh can pull a Jim Plunkett or Joe Kapp career revival out of his ass?

McCown sure did look great in the opening drive against the Jets. Big whoop. Brandon Weeden looked like Bret Farve after Romo went down too.

Sorry if it seems like I'm channeling my inner Ghoolie on this one. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Hoorta, but there was in fact one where he was NOT proved to be lacking, and that's what we're basing this experiment on, and that's fine with me.

FTR, the guy that runs Texags.com which is a massive A&M site (obviously) is good friends with Johnny. I posted what he said about the McCown pickup (thought it was a great move) back when it happened. Knowing how close he is to Johnny, I said that it was basically the official (and accurate) statement from Johnny about the McCown pickup.

Well he tweeted Sunday complaining about how Pettine downplayed Johnny's performance in the presser (lots of overly sensitive Aggies were complaining about this). In it he mentioned that Pettine doesn't like and didn't want Johnny. I really hope it's not true. I see evidence to both sides. Maybe it was just tweeted in the heat of the moment and isn't accurate. But it's pretty close to the situation.

Bullychuck used to always say "I can only go by what I see"......

And, this season so far, I see McCown moving the ball more consistently.....and scoring more points.....

and in the 4 games he's started as a Brown, he has never trailed.....

Archived