THE BROWNS BOARD

Manziel is 1-0 as the starter

McCown is 0-1 as the starter

It's that simple

Only for a simple mind..

Due to O line fuck ups mainly.

Yep...every fuck up Johnny does is someone elses fault.....heard it a million times..

Sorry...the fumbles(and Int) are on him....and his lack of awareness.....just standing in the pocket with no clue where the rushers are...try watching the plays....

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, TC- McCown has been in 6 different situations prior to the Browns- (had to look at Pro Football Reference), and been found lacking in all of them. But now yessir- it's all going to be different somehow. Josh wasn't in the right system to succeed- so how many exactly does he need to show his stuff? This isn't my take now- it was from day one when Farmer brought him in. So yeah I'll blame Farmer for some questionable moves, if Pettine is only playing the cards he's bean dealt.

Let's just say we really don't know what Manziel's potential is yet. Am I being a nasty old curmudgeon if I posit I know what McCown's is? Like career backup- that's been proven in spades? Or do you want me to hope Josh can pull a Jim Plunkett or Joe Kapp career revival out of his ass?

McCown sure did look great in the opening drive against the Jets. Big whoop. Brandon Weeden looked like Bret Farve after Romo went down too.

Sorry if it seems like I'm channeling my inner Ghoolie on this one. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

That's all well and good, if you're looking at things on surface level.

Take a look at what he's had to work with up front. The following are the years that he started accompanied with his respective offensive line's pass protection ranking.

2003 - ARI - Off. line rank 24th

2004 - ARI - Off. line rank 17th

2005 - ARI - Off. line rank 14th

2007 - OAK - Off. line rank 27th

2013 - CHI - Off. line rank 5th

2014 - TB - Off. line rank 29th

Is it a coincidence that McCown's best performance came when his offensive line gave him time to throw, and his worst performance came when they didn't?

McCown, excluding one year, has never had an offensive line to protect him. THAT'S why I have faith that his "other six stops" aren't reflective of what he can do.

Man, it's hard enough defending my Browns against my smack talking friends that root for other teams, much less having to come here and read a bunch of shit from supposed Browns fans who consistently cry about their beloved boy not being under center.

I don't care who is under center. I don't care who snaps it. I don't care which RB gets the most carries........... I just want to see the Browns win. Period. Yes, I have opinions on which QB should play, what offensive and defensive schemes we should run, but I don't cry and piss all over the board that my 'favorite' Browns player isn't where I think he should be on the depth chart.

So have at it crybabies. I'm sure a few of you are secretly hoping the Browns will lose Sunday so you can be the 1st to post how you were right, and Pettine and the rest of us are all wrong................... Fuck me to tears, and more importantly F U C K Y O U

So have at it crybabies. I'm sure a few of you are secretly hoping the Browns will lose Sunday so you can be the 1st to post how you were right, and Pettine and the rest of us are all wrong................... Fuck me to tears, and more importantly F U C K Y O U

No one wants to lose, nobody does.

It's just a lot easier to lose when the head coach and upper management make poor decisions, throw away draft picks, and the team plays uninspired (see week 1) or how boring we were on offense last week.

It's about giving your team the best chance to win and if you think Josh McCown gives that, then you've already punched your ticket to the maximum security wing of the psych ward

That's an old one- surprised you don't know it. On the Other Hand.

LOL... *facepalm* and I was quoting the old Truman economist line a day or so ago...

But now that I know... No... does not mean we wasted a draft pick... yet.

Well he tweeted Sunday complaining about how Pettine downplayed Johnny's performance in the presser (lots of overly sensitive Aggies were complaining about this). In it he mentioned that Pettine doesn't like and didn't want Johnny. I really hope it's not true. I see evidence to both sides. Maybe it was just tweeted in the heat of the moment and isn't accurate. But it's pretty close to the situation.

de

Yup... worst of both worlds...

Old news... Ask the Ag tweeter if he were a defensive-minded coach would he want a free-lancing phenom as your QB? Should get a sense of his honesty and football acumen in one reply...

Due to O line fuck ups mainly.

Ummmm... not that it matters, but that's not even close to true.

At least you can talk some Browns after you cum...

LMAO.. you, sir, are on a roll...

No one wants to lose, nobody does.

It's just a lot easier to lose when the head coach and upper management make poor decisions, throw away draft picks, and the team plays uninspired (see week 1) or how boring we were on offense last week.

It's about giving your team the best chance to win and if you think Josh McCown gives that, then you've already punched your ticket to the maximum security wing of the psych ward

Also easier??? Casting aspersions rather than constructing an argument...

That's all well and good, if you're looking at things on surface level.

Take a look at what he's had to work with up front. The following are the years that he started accompanied with his respective offensive line's pass protection ranking.

2003 - ARI - Off. line rank 24th

2004 - ARI - Off. line rank 17th

2005 - ARI - Off. line rank 14th

2007 - OAK - Off. line rank 27th

2013 - CHI - Off. line rank 5th

2014 - TB - Off. line rank 29th

Is it a coincidence that McCown's best performance came when his offensive line gave him time to throw, and his worst performance came when they didn't?

McCown, excluding one year, has never had an offensive line to protect him. THAT'S why I have faith that his "other six stops" aren't reflective of what he can do.

It's no coincidence virtually any NFL quarterback can look good- if given all day to throw. Oh- and given guys like Matt Forte, Martellus Bennett, Brandon Marshall, and Alshon Jeffrey for sidekicks. Old Josh got promptly replaced when Jay Cutler got healthy too. Regarding no protection- Joe Montana looked like Joe Blow when Lawrence Taylor and his Giants pals shredded his o-line in a playoff game way back.

So let's all hope that nice 5 game stretch proves Josh is really good- just give him a repeat of those circumstances. Too bad Josh Gordon is suspended, Jordan Cameron walked, and Trent Richardson turned into a mega bust.

Does that mean I want McCown to flop, just so I can say I told you so? Nope- I'm just betting the odds of him doing something significantly better than career average are really long. He went 3-2 with the Bears- I won't be doing back flips and cartwheels if McCown leads the Browns to a 9-7 record.

It's no coincidence virtually any NFL quarterback can look good- if given all day to throw. Oh- and given guys like Matt Forte, Martellus Bennett, Brandon Marshall, and Alshon Jeffrey for sidekicks. Old Josh got promptly replaced when Jay Cutler got healthy too. Regarding no protection- Joe Montana looked like Joe Blow when Lawrence Taylor and his Giants pals shredded his o-line in a playoff game way back.

So let's all hope that nice 5 game stretch proves Josh is really good- just give him a repeat of those circumstances. Too bad Josh Gordon is suspended, Jordan Cameron walked, and Trent Richardson turned into a mega bust.

Does that mean I want McCown to flop, just so I can say I told you so? Nope- I'm just betting the odds of him doing something significantly better than career average are really long. He went 3-2 with the Bears- I won't be doing back flips and cartwheels if McCown leads the Browns to a 9-7 record.

So it's McCown's fault that he performs better when he has time to throw? That's a knock on his character?

He also had Jackson, Evans and Doug Martin in TB...so what happened there?

If McCown throws for 12 TD's and 0 INT over an5 game span, you (along with everyone else) would be shitting your pants.

Hell, everyone shit their pants over Hoyer and his performance was merely average.

It's not like he's getting the start over Aaron Rodgers.

Fuuuck. I'd take a guy that was painfully average in Cleveland. When was the last time we even had an average qb? Mccown goes 9-7? I'd be building a statue for him.

As Ghoolie would say "that's the problem". The Browns have been so horrifically bad for so long- do we really want to build statues for "Average"? I understand the young 'uns saying- hey- mediocre is an improvement. The real goal is that distant dream of not only playing in, but Winning a Super Bowl. Of the pre-merger teams, only the Browns and Lions have never been to the Promised Land- and I say - we're long overdue. Unfortunately, it looks like it's not the "Plan" to get there this year either. As the one buzzard said to the other- "patience, my ass, I'm gonna kill something." I've been patient since 1964- and I 'm old enough to remember that one.

"Why is it so hard to just kick back and see what happens Sunday?" WSS

OK Steve, we'll see what we see. I'm just funnin' with TCPO.

So it's McCown's fault that he performs better when he has time to throw? That's a knock on his character?

Who said anything about character? FWIW I think McCown is an extremely high character guy. I stated a simple fact of football.

He also had Jackson, Evans and Doug Martin in TB...so what happened there?

LOL, to quote Bill Bellicheat "diminishing skills?"

If McCown throws for 12 TD's and 0 INT over an5 game span, you (along with everyone else) would be shitting your pants.

You're on- $100 bucks says he can't. :) And I will shit my pants should that come about. I put the odds of that happening about equal to the earth getting hit by an asteroid in the same time frame.

Hell, everyone shit their pants over Hoyer and his performance was merely average.

Toss out the Buffalo game he got hurt in- and in Hoyer's first 12 games with the Browns he was 8-4, (9-4 if you count games he started in.) that's potential playoff pace, until the wheels came off. Add in the Hometown Kid makes good factor. McCown now only has to go 9-3 to match, I daresay he'll be the toast of the town if he does so-

It's not like he's getting the start over Aaron Rodgers.

Neither would anyone else- probably not Peyton Manning, and certainly not Eli. Please- very bad analogy.

Josh isn't so bad. He was actually under pressure a lot in Chicago too, but had good weapons and trusted them.

I expect big games from Gary Barnidge and McCown this weekend. Hawkins too. 27-24 Browns

Johnny will play eventually, but he's still only 22 and has some areas he needs to clean up. Pettine is actually making the right call by playing Josh, and I've been in support of playing Manziel from day one after he was picked.

Can be start and succeed right now? Probably to a degree. But he's making marked improvements in critical areas of the game, and his mechanics look much better other than his plant foot at times. Securing the ball in the pocket, and developing a better pocket alarm clock are two of the big things he has to work on. QBs can't sit in the pocket and pat the ball for 4 or more seconds. They have to see the field quick, check their progressions and then think about evading pressure within 3-4 seconds of snap, sometimes quicker.

He has the arm. He has the wheels. I'm confident from what I've seen he'll get the rest soon.

I really like both our quarterbacks, but you can't help but worry if the right choice is winning now Vs building for the future.

(and I still honestly wonder why Mike Patton was such a prick when we drafted Johnny. I've never heard any other coach dis their first-round quarterback selection.)

WSS

Pet dissed the choice???

I simply don't see that winning now and developing are mutually exclusive...

I like pissing in my pants as much as the next guy, but lets all piss in our pants together.

I can't remember a post that needs context more than this one...

I really like both our quarterbacks, but you can't help but worry if the right choice is winning now Vs building for the future.

Pet dissed the choice???

I simply don't see that winning now and developing are mutually exclusive...

A lot of talk about Pettines ass being on the line.......and, I think, he was hired to coach players and try to win football games now....(not somewhere in the future)

So, if it was my job to win on sunday....and, if I didnt win, I would likely be fired.......then why would I risk not winning just to develop a player for a team I wont even be coaching......makes no sense.....(who sacrifices their job to improve a company thats just going to fire them)

Bottom line.....would you trust Johnny with your job cause he had one decent game.....???.......I wouldnt..........

Would it be inaccurate to state that those who don't want to see Josh McCown (or would prefer Manziel) in this game are the same ones who were against the signing when it happened? That it actually has very little to do with a 17 play drive, a few fumbles or a win from the little guy?

I'm not to jazzed about this move either. But obviously this boils down to who gives the Browns the best chance to win the next game.

Everything else is noise.

Would it be inaccurate to state that those who don't want to see Josh McCown (or would prefer Manziel) in this game are the same ones who were against the signing when it happened? That it actually has very little to do with a 17 play drive, a few fumbles or a win from the little guy?

I'm not to jazzed about this move either. But obviously this boils down to who gives the Browns the best chance to win the next game.

Everything else is noise.

The same people who clamored for Manziel last year and made excuses for him when he sucked (and continue to make excuses for his fumbilitis). I don't think it has to do with people against the McCown signing (Maybe they overlap).

I'd have liked to see the kid over McCown, but in all fairness Johnny made plenty of mistakes - and when the QB fumbles every time he gets hit it definitely hinders your chance to win.

Archived