THE BROWNS BOARD

Another possible interpretation: That Pettine still sees JFF as still immature, and this is intended to lower whatever ego boost Johnny got from his first win. In essence he is saying to JFF:

"You ain't there yet kid". Its like his rehab....just because he was sober for a week does not mean he is "cured".

Johnny needs more "curing" ....in multiple senses of the term.

Why in hell would any coach want to lower a positive from getting a win with his team? I can't see that Gip. You gotta have carrots, not just sticks.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why in hell would any coach want to lower a positive from getting a win with his team? I can't see that Gip. You gotta have carrots, not just sticks.

Maybe Pet sees that Johnny is not quite prepared either mentally or emotionally to deal with success.

Again....he probably has better insight to the situation than anyone.....so maybe he feels this is best for Johnny.

Sorry, but I still think it possible that JMZ is still in a fragile, delicate state emotionally, and that Pettine sees this as best for him.....in addition to feeling that McCown still gives the Browns the better chance to win.

Honestly, it is all speculation on our parts.

Our D needs to keep getting better as does our run game, and it will usually take more than 8 completions a game to win. Pet was quoted this week saying that "he was only interested in winning, and not developing Johnny". I like Pet and trust his decision, no matter which QB he starts.

During that 90yd drive, McCown looked solid as hell against what we now know is a stingy Jets D. Hopefully he can continue to perform like that, and if he does we will win a lot of games.

I won't lose a second of sleep knowing McCown is starting, while some of you will slit your wrists.

Maybe Pet sees that Johnny is not quite prepared either mentally or emotionally to deal with success.

Again....he probably has better insight to the situation than anyone

I make my living as a coach and I like to say........ Parents see the tip of the iceberg, coaches see the whole iceberg - D Bone B)

Playing McCown likely wins more games this season but he is not a young guy. Playing Johnny lets the staff know exactly what they have in him. If he does well, great. If he stinks up the joint, you know that drafting a QB is a very real possibility.

So its not at all possible to win games, whilst continuing to groom Johnny with practice reps and spot action? You're saying to toss Manziel in as the starter simply to 'see what we have', even if it costs us perhaps finishing .500, correct?

Yeah, that's a great message to send to the vets and members of this team.

I'm disappointed we're sitting one of our best offensive playmakers. The fumbles were concerning, but other than that JM played a good game...

I think putting McCown is like taking the wind out of our sails. There won't be as many big plays or excitement, but McCown may play "safe" enough for us to win the way we want to... with solid D and a running game...

The only problem I see, is eventually McCown will revert back to old-McCown and start turning the ball over. Hopefully not, but I just see it happening down the road...

So its not at all possible to win games, whilst continuing to groom Johnny with practice reps and spot action? You're saying to toss Manziel in as the starter simply to 'see what we have', even if it costs us perhaps finishing .500, correct?

Yeah, that's a great message to send to the vets and members of this team.

Pain for one year or pain for several. Which one would you prefer? If McCown offers average play, you still have two years max and you are back to square one. I would rather have a year of learning what you have then make the judgment call on whether you cut bait. You would have McCown for another year to let a rook learn behind. I prefer pulling Band-Aids off instead of dragging it out.

Pain for one year or pain for several. Which one would you prefer? If McCown offers average play, you still have two years max and you are back to square one. I would rather have a year of learning what you have then make the judgment call on whether you cut bait. You would have McCown for another year to let a rook learn behind. I prefer pulling Band-Aids off instead of dragging it out.

If Johnny isn't the answer then what makes you think drafting another 1st round QB won't include having 'pain for several' years more?

Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?

I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.

If Johnny isn't the answer then what makes you think drafting another 1st round QB won't include having 'pain for several' years more?

For one, you would have a QB actually picked without interference from the owner. Someone they feel can actually do the job. Second, the rook would have at least a year behind McCown to learn. Hopefully a kid that doesn't spend that year being a drunk and not reading a play book.

I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.

I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB. However, they likely have two seasons max out of the guy.

Bear in mind, I am still very skeptical of Johhny. He could prove me wrong but I still don't see it.

Agreed. A couple lucky hail mary's doesn't do it for me, especially when fumbling seems to be an issue. JF hasn't done enough to win the starting job. When he does, I'll be a fanboy.

I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB. However, they likely have two seasons max out of the guy.

So to generalize your argument - You would rather Pet set the depth chart to possibly help the team win 2 years from now, at the cost of winning today?

Sounds yucky when said out loud ;)

So to generalize your argument - You would rather Pet set the depth chart to possibly help the team win 2 years from now, at the cost of winning today?

Sounds yucky when said out loud ;)

Being average for two years and potentially being in the gutter again is too much for this guy haha. Would rather have the team set up for long term success.

Being average for two years and potentially being in the gutter again is too much for this guy haha. Would rather have the team set up for long term success.

Your argument makes no sense when phrased like that. IF Johnny is the real deal, then him waiting certainly won't hurt his development.

Start him now, he fails, draft another rookie QB who sits behind McCown for a year or two (your words) would still make this team average.

It's the right decision. Don't tell your team to play so hard, so tough, and then

tell them "gee, you just lost your job because the other guy..."

nah. If/when Johnny takes over as the starter - it's because he gets the understanding

of the offense and defenses... like McCown, and EARNS the starter position.

I don't like fumbling on the end zone and giving the opponent the ball at their own 35.

I don't care how about drive, passion, effort he put in. Being stupid will lose you football games. Total momentum swing and demoralizer that set the tone of the game.

McCown also isn't a very good quarterback (we already know that, along with 9+ other teams), but it's really Pettine's judgement call so I'll trust them.

--

I believe in win now philosophy, not next year.

But McCowns track record doesn't involve much winning

Pain for one year or pain for several. Which one would you prefer? ..... You would have McCown for another year to let a rook learn behind...

How about no pain, if possible?......I think that is the plan for this year.....McCown, with the redshirt rook behind him....

For one, you would have a QB actually picked without interference from the owner. Someone they feel can actually do the job. Second, the rook would have at least a year behind McCown to learn. Hopefully a kid that doesn't spend that year being a drunk and not reading a play book.

Speculation on the first 2 lines.....and "our current status" on the last 2....

I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB.

Which is why he should play now.....bottom line.....best players play....Fuck the whole "2 years from now thing"....we are sick of waiting for the next great "pick".....oy....

Which is why you play the best players and let the new ones come along slowly....after all the "kids gloves" handling of Johnny this off season and preseason....why suddenly blow it up by putting the pressure of a make it or break it season on his back???when we have a better starter and one who is willing to work with him?....

He'll get his chance....(this year).....

I don't like fumbling on the end zone and giving the opponent the ball at their own 35.

I don't care how about drive, passion, effort he put in. Being stupid will lose you football games. Total momentum swing and demoralizer that set the tone of the game.

McCown also isn't a very good quarterback (we already know that, along with 9+ other teams), but it's really Pettine's judgement call so I'll trust them.

Does McCowns one fumble outweigh Johnnys interception and 4 fumbles?....(or was it 5?).....cause he definitely gave the Jets some seriously good field position.....

And, when Josh does make a mistake(and he will).....ugh.....cause NOW the Johnny brigate will demand perfection from him....or else.....first screw up and they'll all be screaming JOHNNY, as if he would be mistake free......BOOK IT!

Archived