THE BROWNS BOARD

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-QB-Josh-McCown-cleared-to-return-set-to-start-vs-Raiders/3482b7da-4059-4d65-bbd6-d8061180e40a

Josh McCownicon-article-link.gif is out of the NFL’s concussion protocol and is set to make his second start of the season Sunday against the Oakland Raiders at FirstEnergy Stadium, coach Mike Pettine announced Wednesday.

McCown was injured at the end of Cleveland’s first offensive series of the season. He completed 5-of-8 passes for 49 yards and ran three times for 23 yards.

McCown will be on the practice field this afternoon when the Browns begin their on-field preparations for the Raiders

Not sure if this is the right call... What I am sure about is that I am disappointed. I like what I saw from Josh on that opening drive, but the reality is that it was ONLY ONE DRIVE..

Do you think this has anything to do with that pass that JFF threw to Benjamin to seal the game on Sunday? From what I understand, that pass should have never happened.... Sure it turned out great and made the highlight reels, but it seems to have flown in the face of the coaches... You think they feel he isn't ready?

GO JOSH, GO BROWNS....

Stay ready Johnny..

Robert

Not sure if this is the right call... What I am sure about is that I am disappointed. I like what I saw from Josh on that opening drive, but the reality is that it was ONLY ONE DRIVE..

Do you think this has anything to do with that pass that JFF threw to Benjamin to seal the game on Sunday? From what I understand, that pass should have never happened.... Sure it turned out great and made the highlight reels, but it seems to have flown in the face of the coaches... You think they feel he isn't ready?

GO JOSH, GO BROWNS....

Stay ready Johnny..

Robert

I think it had more to do with the fumbles.

Ouch! Worst comment on NFL Network? "This is just the Browns being the Browns"

I am surprised that most of the talking heads aren't seeing this as a close call rather than thinking it is a slam dunk that Manziel should start. Good arguments can be made on both quarterbacks to start but the deciding factor to me for starting McCown is that it is the right thing to do. He played like a Brown and got injured and that should not cost him his job.

Well....kind of surprised, but then again, not really.....In the long run, probably the smart move.....

1) QB shouldnt lose his job because of an injury......sends the wrong message...

2) McCown has looked good so far, so why not give him a chance to show his stuff(he earned it, right?)

3) Johnny, while playing better, didnt exactly light it up....basically 2 great passes and a bunch of average....

4) Based upon the little Josh has played, it looks like he'll get whacked again(soon enough)....JF will get another shot...

5) IF McCown plays poorly, it's an easy switch to Johnny.....but....

6) If Johnny played poorly, it would be a nasty negative back step to pull him and put Josh back in......

I say......GO JOSH!!!!!!!

Manziel won a game that McCown would have won quite comfortably. When the bigger tests come - after the SD game we have a brutal stretch - McCown is better placed to win games than Manziel. Let Manziel keep learning, then anoint him starter next summer.

Oh, and the point about not losing your job for 'playing like a brown' should not be underestimated.

Just my 2 cents.

Ouch! Worst comment on NFL Network? "This is just the Browns being the Browns"

It is a lame comment.....to be sure.....

Browns being the Browns would be throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.....like investing an entire off season, training camp and preseason devising a plan to use McCown as the QB, while developing Johnny.......then throwing it all out after one series, because McCown got a headache and then Johnny played an "ok" game.....

How about sticking to the plan for more than a few minutes?.....THAT would be the NEW Browns being the NEW Browns

As much as I'd like to see Manziel start against OAK. going with McCown is the right thing to do. If we lose to OAK. MA ziel should be back. I don't want to hear OAK is a good team. Young QB good defense. Nah fuck that. If we lose and go down 1-2 I want Manziel back.

Hard decision but I give credit to Pettine for making it. The fact is in very limited play McCown looked pretty dang solid out there and the team prepared all offseason for him under center.. He's going to be on a short leash for sure so if he plays bad over the next 3-4 weeks give the ball back to Manziel.

Johnny is going to succeed or fail my starting for the Cleveland Browns. No different than any other quarterback taken in the draft. This Ain't Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Brett Favre.

I like Josh McCown, I really do, but we know why he's here. If he beats the Raiders fine, except that we have set back Johnny's development by another week or two or more. And believe me Johnny is going to have some rough spots as a starter wheneverror that happens be it this week or next season. I say get it out of the way.

WSS

You have to support the decision either way. You can make arguments both ways...McCown or Manziel.

If McCown plays like he did in the first drive, he won't make it out of the 1st Q again anyway. Hopefully he wises up a bit.

Personally...I would have liked to see Manziel, I understand why he didn't (sending wrong message, etc.) - but we already know that McCown's ceiling is backup QB.

The reality is that the skill right now of the two is a tossup. However, JFF's ceiling is starter while McCown is who we thought he was.

Manziel still has a lot to work on regarding the intermediate just-get-the-first-down throws.. he's behind McCown in that right now. But the only way he learns is.. playing time.

Start JFF and let him figure it out.

If McCown was to lose his starting job due to injury and going all out on a play to score a touchdown at the 2 yard line I hate to think about the message that would send to other players on the team. In the back of their minds they would have to think if they laid it all out on the field and got injured it could cost them their starting job.

Getting his head taken off and fumbling sure does sound about right in regards to "playing like a Brown"

I would argue that fumbling at the opponent 1-yard line and giving them the ball back at their own 35 (after personal foul) negated everything good about that first drive.

That first drive we came away with nothing and the Jets got all the momentum - directly due to McCown's actions. So I agree I wouldn't defend the quality of that first drive.

I "understand" why McCown is still the starter, even though I don't agree with it. I wasn't real happy when we signed McCown to begin with though.

It is a lame comment.....to be sure.....

Browns being the Browns would be throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.....like investing an entire off season, training camp and preseason devising a plan to use McCown as the QB, while developing Johnny.......then throwing it all out after one series, because McCown got a headache and then Johnny played an "ok" game.....

How about sticking to the plan for more than a few minutes?.....THAT would be the NEW Browns being the NEW Browns

Browns being the Browns means having perhaps the greatest coach/QB/RB in the history of the game.

Pettine always talks about all work up to now and Josh had won the starting role up until the injury. I am not sitting in the Browns team facilities where I think veterans have some input. I back Pettine' s decision. Had there been no fumbles then I might disagree, but there were. Continue the plan to develop JM behind the veteran. Bring him in when there is a time to do so, hopefully when we have good leads like other teams did for their eventual starters. It may be old school, but then so am I.

Well....kind of surprised, but then again, not really.....In the long run, probably the smart move.....

1) QB shouldnt lose his job because of an injury......sends the wrong message...

2) McCown has looked good so far, so why not give him a chance to show his stuff(he earned it, right?)

3) Johnny, while playing better, didnt exactly light it up....basically 2 great passes and a bunch of average....

4) Based upon the little Josh has played, it looks like he'll get whacked again(soon enough)....JF will get another shot...

5) IF McCown plays poorly, it's an easy switch to Johnny.....but....

6) If Johnny played poorly, it would be a nasty negative back step to pull him and put Josh back in......

I say......GO JOSH!!!!!!!

Well said. I also liked OldBrownsFan's "Play like a Brown comment".

I'm all in for the Browns & we'll see what happens.

Mike

Another possible interpretation: That Pettine still sees JFF as still immature, and this is intended to lower whatever ego boost Johnny got from his first win. In essence he is saying to JFF:

"You ain't there yet kid". Its like his rehab....just because he was sober for a week does not mean he is "cured".

Johnny needs more "curing" ....in multiple senses of the term.

Archived