THE BROWNS BOARD

Benjamin to sign.....Mack out then in ?

darren15

Sorry, but not going to lose much sleep if we lose Benji. Like him as a #2/#3 WR, but how many times have you ever seen a reception of his and said, "Wow, what a catch?".

Will miss his punt return contributions, but for every nice return there's been two or more "why did he not field that?" moments.

that will very much suck if we lose him to the Oakland Raiders. Carr was my 2014 QB preference, if i'm the Raiders FO i'm definitely listening to my franchise QB's reasonable requests....

... or his brother's? Methinks you thinks of Derek... ;)

When did David become a talking head?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking like our FO is willing to let players test the market.

If we've treated the players well, and if Sashi is as respected by Agents as we were led to believe when he was promoted, then we should fair well... and not overpay.

Sorry, but not going to lose much sleep if we lose Benji. Like him as a #2/#3 WR, but how many times have you ever seen a reception of his and said, "Wow, what a catch?".

Will miss his punt return contributions, but for every nice return there's been two or more "why did he not field that?" moments.

Sign me up for this thought as well. I like him as a player, and I hope he re-signs for continuity more than anything else. His stats from this year though are eerily similar to Brian Hartline's from 2013 as well:

Benji:

G Rec Tgt Yds Avg Lg TD

16 68 124 966 14.2 61 5

Hartline:

16 76 134 1,016 13.4 50 4

before anyone goes crazy on me I get he returns punts and is faster, I get that but it's not like we're losing top flight production here either. I write that comparison to say there's other guys (to include one on our team) who can fill this production role. If Benji leaves and a guy like Sanu signs on I don't think we've let a great one walk out the door.

Ward, Sheard, Skrine, Cameron, Mack, Schwartz, Gipson, Benjamin - there's a list of legitimately decent-to-great players that we've let walk or are in the process of letting walk.

I don't get it, the Browns have over $40 million in cap space but they don't seem to care to let the few remaining talented players walk.

BTW, except for Mack, all of the guys on your list were brought in by Heckert (another FO guy we let get away).

Looking like our FO is willing to let players test the market.

If we've treated the players well, and if Sashi is as respected by Agents as we were led to believe when he was promoted, then we should fair well... and not overpay.

If we were fairly deep (talent wise) at most of the positions, I would share your opinion. Even if we could draft with a ~35% success rate, I would say buh-by. However on a team nearly devoid of talent the FO shouldn't let their young guys leave without making them a competitive offer.

Fair points Canton Dawgs but this FO never had the chance to stop it during last season. Once the other numbers$$ start coming into agents on ranked #1 WR FA's with likely not much in WR draft. Agents get paid to make their guy $$. Agent did his job. We.. once again failed

This is Benji's one chance for a large pay day, and it looks like he wants to make the most of it. Hard to blame the guy, but I'd be curious as to exactly WHAT our team offered him. Did we low ball the guy, or is he being unreasonable? We'll probably never know, but sometimes the details of offers are made public. I could see some team like the Patriots offering Benjamin a solid deal. Can you imagine a guy like Benji running down the field with Brady throwing the ball to him? Patriots aren't known for their big spending on free agents, but it's just a thought.

The interesting thing about Benji is...we really can't lose the guy, and our team HAS to know that. If Benji leaves, then we have what left? Hartline, Gabriel, Hawkins, Pryor, and Marlan Moore for sure? Yes, I know we COULD have Gordon back, but if you're the Browns' front office, are you REALLY counting on that? Probably not. We drafted Benji, developed him, worked through his injury, and can't let him go.

The apparent revelation that Mack could opt out, and then re-sign is a welcomed thought. I didn't think there was even a CHANCE that could happen, so we'll see. Somebody was reporting that Mack wants $10 million a year instead of $8 million...we might pay that. We have the money.

jiggins-well there is one key member of the FO who is still with us with hands near the purse strings. And he was here when somehow decent players have left without finding the $ to retain them. I am very skeptical at this point that analytics might get Trumped.

jiggins-well there is one key member of the FO who is still with us with hands near the purse strings. And he was here when somehow decent players have left without finding the $ to retain them. I am very skeptical at this point that analytics might get Trumped.

Im not sure that any of our moves were money motivated.....Whitner is more expensive than Ward, Williams is more than Skrine, Bowe and Hartline were a major increase in cost, McCown certainly cost more than his predecessor, Starks cost more than Ruben woulda, etc....

I honestly believe, right or wrong, that they tried to improve and were/are willing to pay more to do it.....

And I can understand if Jimmy is getting a little gun shy on the whole FA thing.....though, to me, the only real flubs in terms of "letting" talent go were probably Sheard and Ward.....the rest? Cameron, Skrine, Ruben.....not really....

Grossi talking about how Mack is close to a backloaded deal with Mack and Swartz may get franchise tagged. We shall see.

It would be great if we found a way to keep both..... Im all in and dont care one bit about how much it costs Jimmy.....

What do you mean, shitcanning players or letting them walk because they're somebody else's guys?

Neither? Sometimes you have to go back to the original statement...

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=581031

This is Benji's one chance for a large pay day, and it looks like he wants to make the most of it. Hard to blame the guy, but I'd be curious as to exactly WHAT our team offered him. Did we low ball the guy, or is he being unreasonable? We'll probably never know, but sometimes the details of offers are made public. I could see some team like the Patriots offering Benjamin a solid deal. Can you imagine a guy like Benji running down the field with Brady throwing the ball to him? Patriots aren't known for their big spending on free agents, but it's just a thought.

The interesting thing about Benji is...we really can't lose the guy, and our team HAS to know that. If Benji leaves, then we have what left? Hartline, Gabriel, Hawkins, Pryor, and Marlan Moore for sure? Yes, I know we COULD have Gordon back, but if you're the Browns' front office, are you REALLY counting on that? Probably not. We drafted Benji, developed him, worked through his injury, and can't let him go.

Contract terms always come out. Whether the player's previous team was "in the hunt", generally comes out as well. We simply have not taken this route for a long time.

Squinting as hard as I can and not seeing any way that NE would seek to sign him. Only Brown WRs the Pats might be interested in? Gordon and Hawk...

There are FA and draft options to replace, if not upgrade, Benji. He's a good player, but not one I open the wallet for.

But then... I'm counting on Gordon as well...

Cmon guys....Benjis not that good.....he had 900 yds one year.....and mostly because he had the most targets.....heck, the year before it was Hawkins who had all the targets(and yards)....and I dont see anyone claiming he needs big $$$$.....

Once we get a real WR in there, ala Gordon or a rookie, Benji will go right back to punt returner and average WR.....

Giving Benji a big $ contract will be a move the Browns regret...book it....(and I think analytics will support that, which may be the hangup, if there is one)

ANd there were two to choose from... ;)

Cmon guys....Benjis not that good.....he had 900 yds one year.....and mostly because he had the most targets.....heck, the year before it was Hawkins who had all the targets(and yards)....and I dont see anyone claiming he needs big $$$$.....

Once we get a real WR in there, ala Gordon or a rookie, Benji will go right back to punt returner and average WR.....

Giving Benji a big $ contract will be a move the Browns regret...book it....(and I think analytics will support that, which may be the hangup, if there is one)

We need to disagree more...

Intrestingly Sashi spoke on Mack and Gordon today.......

Implied that it looks good for Gordon to be reinstated....AND.....there is a spot on the roster for him..... :D

Mack?.....he basically said we need to get er done in the next week or 2 or else.....

Given the choice i would have Mitch back definitely, Mack back depending on cost.....Gipson is gone and Benjamin should not command big money, he sure is no Megatron , Larry Fitz etc

The apparent revelation that Mack could opt out, and then re-sign is a welcomed thought. I didn't think there was even a CHANCE that could happen, so we'll see. Somebody was reporting that Mack wants $10 million a year instead of $8 million...we might pay that. We have the money.

FWIW... NFL.com's top 99 FAs. Mack isn't on the list because technically, he's still under contract. PS apparently they agree with Mud about Benji....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637939/article/2016-free-agency-top-99-available-players

Our guys and some players of interest.

34. Tashaun Gipson, Cleveland Browns safety: He followed up an incredible 2014 season with a miserable 2015 campaign. He's worth a shot at a discounted price.

39. Marvin Jones, Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver: If Jeffery is tagged, Jones would be our top receiver on the entire market. He has a terrific skill set, but is a candidate to get overpaid because of the thin market.

45. Mitchell Schwartz, Cleveland Browns tackle: The ever-improving right tackle adds value with excellent Twitter analysis.

51. Travis Benjamin, Cleveland Browns wide receiver: Coming off a career year, Benjamin may find out that NFL teams refuse to pay for undersized slot receivers.

68. Mohamed Sanu, Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver: Sanu is essentially a fine slot receiver, with some gadget plays mixed in. He could be productive in the right system.

Archived