THE BROWNS BOARD

Anyone Excited About Kessler Yet?

wargograw

The injury was awful luck. Cody goes down after a great play, and BOOM. Knee to the head, out of commission. It's terrible luck for the kid, and he was REALLY starting to hit his stride. The team loves playing with him, he's gutsy, and he appears to have a good understanding of the offense. Believe me when I say that if Kessler was on the Cowboys or another "national team", he'd be the story of the year, and it wouldn't be close. Can you imagine Cody playing on a team like the Cowboys, with that offensive line and that running game? You ever see how much time Dak Prescott has, or how many manageable third downs he plays with due to Zeke Elliott? Now imagine Cody having all day to throw, having Dez Bryant, or just handing it off to Zeke all day. I don't know if he'd be as good as Dak (it's impossible to know, I realize that), but in my mind, Cody would have the Cowboys with a winning record.

That's what makes Cody's performance so much MORE amazing. He's putting up strong numbers on the worst freaking team in the entire league. When is the last time ANYBODY saw that? Shit, the number one pick in the entire draft is still ON THE BENCH, and that's after the Rams' starting QB threw FOUR freaking interceptions. Don't you think that if Jared Goff could do better, the Rams would play him? And remember the be-all-end-all Carson Wentz? The combination of Steve Young, John Elway, Jesus Christ, and Chuck Norris? Maybe you haven't noticed, but he hasn't exactly played well AT ALL. The Eagles may have won, but that has more to do with the Vikings playing like total asshats than it did with Wentz doing a damn thing. You want his stats for the past two games? Try 27-50 for 317 yards, 1 touchdown and 2 picks. Now look, I'm not saying a QB (especially a rookie) can't have a couple of bad games, but can you imagine just how badly the Browns would lose if Cody had a game like THAT? Shit, we'd lose 56-0. Like Mud and many others have said, our team doesn't have the talent to keep up with people. We can't knock that hail mary down? We can't tackle Hill on that 74 yard td run? We have to bite on EVERY double-move or play-action fake?

We need Cody out there, and we need him out there NOW. I hope to God the young man is ok, and I truly hope he doesn't have any more concussions. The brain is nothing to mess with, and I want him to return stronger than ever. We need him more than ever, and he's the key to so much of our team's future. This 3rd round pick literally holds the keys to our future. We have so many picks that we can use on SO MANY OTHER things IF Cody is our guy. And I think he is, I really do. You guys can laugh at me all you want, but I've seen enough. I like what I see, and I truly believe that Cody can get better and better. Let's hope that he gets back soon...and that he gets back with Coleman and Pryor.

Ogbah had two sacks. Nassib has flashed. Guess who else is coming to town? Myles Garrett. It's time to start building our team, and Cody actually LETS us do that.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if having a huge QB is mandatory....how is it that Russell Wilson made....and shoulda won 2 Super Bowls in a row.....and could go again this year. At 4-1-1 those Seahawks have one of the 4 best records in the NFL.

Wow, I'm pretty sure you don't read posts you just respond with the same repetitive thoughts. No one said mandatory but it's a safer bet to have that "prototypical" guy. Before you respond yes Jemarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf stunk. Again this isn't an exact science or the Browns would whiff on 9-10 first round picks but for fucks sake watch the Browns without the rose colored glasses.

Kessler is 6'1. While, yes, he is not tall for a QB, the following current NFL QBs are his height or less:

Russell Wilson 5'11

Drew Brees 6'0

Tyrod Taylor 6'1

Chase Daniel 6'1

Case Keenum 6'1

Trevon Boykin 6'0

Colt McCoy 6'1

Matt McGloin 6'1

At least 4 of the above are starters.

Not just about size, Cody's arm hasn't been great and thus limits stretching the field.

Well....the one thing I will say, is that I was bummed when Kessler went out.....and found myself wishing he was back in the game...

So, thats gotta count for something??? right?....cause I never woulda guessed Id feel that way....

Not just about size, Cody's arm hasn't been great and thus limits stretching the field.

And getting hit like a pinata.

Wow, I'm pretty sure you don't read posts you just respond with the same repetitive thoughts. No one said mandatory but it's a safer bet to have that "prototypical" guy. Before you respond yes Jemarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf stunk. Again this isn't an exact science or the Browns would whiff on 9-10 first round picks but for fucks sake watch the Browns without the rose colored glasses.

It may not have been you....but someone said that having a "big" QB is now "required".

I simply showed evidence that it is not required.

Is it really the "arm" that is "inaccurate"?

Hint: The answer is no.

In any sport with which I am familiar, far more important are "legs" & footwork. It's about weight distribution & transfer......in addition to football, see baseball, basketball, soccer, golf, bowling, pool/billiards.

Mike

I'm not exactly sure what people want to see out of a QB. Go back in the past 20 years and name all of the 3rd round QB's that have a QB rating of 94, 67% completion, and 4 TD's and 1 pick. I'm guessing there aren't too many.

Believe it or not, the QB I compare Kessler to is Philip Rivers. KEEP IN MIND that this is the "highest possible ceiling" comparison, so I don't want to hear people saying, "Jiggins think Kessler is Philip Rivers! Hahahaha!" That's not what I'm saying. What I AM saying is that I see some similarities. First, let's just get out of the way that they aren't anywhere near the same size...I know this, so don't even say it. That being said, Rivers has extraordinary accuracy, and almost nonexistent foot speed. To make up for the lack of athletic ability, Rivers moves VERY well in the pocket. Kessler also moves well in the pocket, and according to Pro Football Focus, is second in the entire league "when throwing under pressure", completing 84% of his passes. That's completely insane...for ANY QB, let alone a rookie.

I make this comparison because I believe Kessler has A CHANCE to be good. Rivers doesn't have a strong arm, quick speed, but he at least has size. Cody will have to learn how to avoid taking hits, and our team will have to assemble a better OL. Look at Rivers numbers early on in his career. He was a rookie in 2004, but only played in two games. He played in a few more in 2005, but didn't do that well. But in 2006, he played in all 16 games, and guess what his numbers were? 62% completion, 22 td's, 9 picks, and a QB rating of 93. Sound familiar?

In Monopoly it's the slight of hand, i.e. knowing how to milk the investment, cash it in thru bankruptcy and pay no income tax for decades while declaring yourself the winner. :P

Isn't that in one of Trump's books? The Art of the Deal? (I read it in grad school.....oh just fact checked, I was just out of grad school. ) ;)

I make this comparison because I believe Kessler has A CHANCE to be good.

Yes, he does. But is there a QB in the draft that has a chance to be even better? Perhaps even great?

Still time in 2016 to increase the sample size.

I'm not exactly sure what people want to see out of a QB. Go back in the past 20 years and name all of the 3rd round QB's that have a QB rating of 94, 67% completion, and 4 TD's and 1 pick. I'm guessing there aren't too many.

Believe it or not, the QB I compare Kessler to is Philip Rivers

That's actually a very good ceiling comparison. Rivers has done incredible with his strange delivery, that results in average at best NFL level "arm strength"....... If we get anywhere close to getting Rivers level career out of Cody, then we should all be pretty damn happy.

So much more to being an NFL QB than arm strength..... Just ask Weeden or DA.

Right.....the relevent part of the body is the Brain.

Fair to say?

Brain was the part I had in mind...

Not sure where the line is drawn between it and the eyes, but depth perception also plays a major role.

Brain was the part I had in mind...

Not sure where the line is drawn between it and the eyes, but depth perception also plays a major role.

I may be tapping in a little late here, but if we're talking about Kessler...nothing he's done this far has shown a clear inability to process information. Hesitance, absolutely. But he's batting closer to .1000 than he is a 0 when it comes to decision making, IMO.

If we're talking about someone else, I'll kindly screw ofd

I may be tapping in a little late here, but if we're talking about Kessler...nothing he's done this far has shown a clear inability to process information. Hesitance, absolutely. But he's batting closer to .1000 than he is a 0 when it comes to decision making, IMO.

If we're talking about someone else, I'll kindly screw ofd

Batting .1000 means you go 1 for 10.........watch your decimal point location. :P

We've all heard this before, but availability is the probably the most important aspect of an NFL player. Kessler must figure out how to avoid these bone-jarring hits in order to stay on the field. As I've said before, the recent concussion was bad luck. Cody had taken some crunching hits, but what did him in was the random knee to the head as Cody was falling. A guy ran by him and just nailed the side of his helmet. Completely sucks. That being said, even in his limited play against the Bengals resulted in too many hits. And before you guys blame the OL, you should know that it was their best pass protection rating of the season (per Pro Football Focus interview on radio show). Additionally, Cam Erving earned his highest rating by far in his brief stint before leaving at half time. This is no small feat for Cam because we played a stud DL, and Geno Atkins is the guy that knocked Erving through the air like he was an extra in a John Woo film. Cam will look to continue his elevated play against another talented DL, in Wilkerson and Leonard Williams.

Hue Jackson has be reluctant to name McCown the starter this weekend, which is strange because he's been a "full participant" at practice, and he's been throwing for over two weeks. The sneaky reason that Hue won't name Josh the starter is because he's secretly hoping Kessler will clear concussion protocol. It's rare that a QB exits the protocol one week after injury, but the chances are must higher when a player has no history of concussions, such as Kessler.

This season obviously isn't a winner, so it's all about evaluating our young players. Ogbah is coming on strong (3 sacks in two weeks), Nassib is healing and will play better, Shelton is REALLY playing better (although laid an egg last week), Coleman is back soon, and so on. The most important player to evaluate is Kessler, for obvious reasons. And to answer a previous poster's question, there is only one QB I currently rank higher than Kessler at this moment, and that's Mitch Trubisky. I don't want Kizer (boom or bust), I don't want Watson, and I don't want anybody else. Now...EVERY year there will be QB prospects that seem to come out of nowhere, and I'm guessing this year is no exception. I haven't done the research to know who they are yet, but at this time, I'm all in on Kessler, and if I'm the Browns, I don't want to use one of my top 4 picks on someone who probably won't beat out Cody ANYWAYS. Jared Goff was the number one pick in the entire draft, and he plays on a very marginal team that has poor QB play. Do you see him in the games? Nope. Kessler has the goods, I just hope people have the patience to let him grow. He's yet to have a real "stinker game", and EVERYBODY has them.

I may be tapping in a little late here, but if we're talking about Kessler...nothing he's done this far has shown a clear inability to process information.

Nah... you're good... and I'll go a step further. Kess has already demonstrated improvement in his processing speed. Does that raise his floor high enough? Not sure as of yet...

And to answer a previous poster's question, there is only one QB I currently rank higher than Kessler at this moment, and that's Mitch Trubisky. I don't want Kizer (boom or bust), I don't want Watson, and I don't want anybody else. Now...EVERY year there will be QB prospects that seem to come out of nowhere, and I'm guessing this year is no exception. I haven't done the research to know who they are yet, but at this time, I'm all in on Kessler, and if I'm the Browns, I don't want to use one of my top 4 picks on someone who probably won't beat out Cody ANYWAYS.

Out of nowhere? You mean like Trubisky?

If this draft class continues along the path it's on, it won't take a top 4 to land a quality QB prospect. Whether Kessler forestalls thoughts of spending a late Day 1 or Day 2 pick on a QB prospect is TBD.

Nah... you're good... and I'll go a step further. Kess has already demonstrated improvement in his processing speed. Does that raise his floor high enough? Not sure as of yet...

Out of nowhere? You mean like Trubisky?

If this draft class continues along the path it's on, it won't take a top 4 to land a quality QB prospect. Whether Kessler forestalls thoughts of spending a late Day 1 or Day 2 pick on a QB prospect is TBD.

The Bears....who likely will have a Top 3 pick, seem almost certain to be in the market for a future QB.

Perhaps the same is true of the 49ers....not sure.

So, just like in previous years, even though prognosticators may believe no Top 3 draft pick talent exists at QB....they will be taken there because of the importance of the position and the dire need of some teams for one.

And this may still include the Browns.

The Bears....who likely will have a Top 3 pick, seem almost certain to be in the market for a future QB.

Perhaps the same is true of the 49ers....not sure.

So, just like in previous years, even though prognosticators may believe no Top 3 draft pick talent exists at QB....they will be taken there because of the importance of the position and the dire need of some teams for one.

And this may still include the Browns.

RE: the 49ers- I'm sure Gip. Gabbert and anit-patriot? Stinko city. Of the teams in the bottom 5, only the Panthers don't need a qb. Jets? Count on it. #6 Saints may even be thinking long term to find a replacement when Brees retires. Now if Kessler continues to improve- that will give the Browns the option of BPA on defense, and may even be able to trade down a spot or two and get Garrett or someone similar. The way this is shaping up for draft 2017, as long as the Browns are in the top 3, they'll be fine. :)

And while writing the above another potential Kessler comparable occurred to me... Chad Pennington.

With Kess not ready yet for the River's piss & vinegar edge Phillip had coming in^^^This is a good call T... Kess "The Thundering Herd of USC" (we got no white horse for a mascot ;) )

Archived