THE BROWNS BOARD

Anyone Excited About Kessler Yet?

wargograw

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just sick after this game because even at half time I KNEW we would lose. I never even entertained the thought of us winning. I waited for the collapse, it came, and here we are. I'm betting many other fans felt the same way. I didn't think our defense would make a play, get a turnover, or do anything right. Even on the 4th and 1, we had no chance to stop them from getting that TD. It's sad, and I don't know when it will change. Certainly not this year.

We obviously need more playmakers on offense...that much was obvious to me yesterday. They shut down Pryor in the second half, and we just didn't have another target to go to. Hell, we only had like 3 possessions in the second half, maybe 4. We simply don't have the weapons needed to make plays. When McCown missed Pryor on that deep bomb, I knew the game was over.

I'm just sick after this game because even at half time I KNEW we would lose. I never even entertained the thought of us winning. I waited for the collapse, it came, and here we are. I'm betting many other fans felt the same way. I didn't think our defense would make a play, get a turnover, or do anything right. Even on the 4th and 1, we had no chance to stop them from getting that TD. It's sad, and I don't know when it will change. Certainly not this year.

We obviously need more playmakers on offense...that much was obvious to me yesterday. They shut down Pryor in the second half, and we just didn't have another target to go to. Hell, we only had like 3 possessions in the second half, maybe 4. We simply don't have the weapons needed to make plays. When McCown missed Pryor on that deep bomb, I knew the game was over.

I hate to say it but I felt the same way. I kept saying to myself "how will Cleveland screw this one up." Not IF, but HOW. The team did look like the gave up early. Where was the urgency in the last 5 minutes? Of course it didn't matter because they didn't recover the onsides kick, but what if the did? They wouldn't have had enough time to get in field goal range.

The other thing that kept bugging me was this. I kept hearing everyone say how Josh McCown gave us the best chance to win. Before yesterday, I questioned that stance, and now I definitely disagree with it. He's a great guy, I get it, but he doesn't know how to win. He made bad decisions at key moments. The one advantage we get with McCown is the downfield throws and he didn't do much in that department.

I think Kessler gives us the best chance to win. He's young but he's smarter with the football in my opinion. Kessler should start for the rest of the season barring injury.

I hate to say it but I felt the same way. I kept saying to myself "how will Cleveland screw this one up." Not IF, but HOW. The team did look like the gave up early. Where was the urgency in the last 5 minutes? Of course it didn't matter because they didn't recover the onsides kick, but what if the did? They wouldn't have had enough time to get in field goal range.

The other thing that kept bugging me was this. I kept hearing everyone say how Josh McCown gave us the best chance to win. Before yesterday, I questioned that stance, and now I definitely disagree with it. He's a great guy, I get it, but he doesn't know how to win. He made bad decisions at key moments. The one advantage we get with McCown is the downfield throws and he didn't do much in that department.

I think Kessler gives us the best chance to win. He's young but he's smarter with the football in my opinion. Kessler should start for the rest of the season barring injury.

On Kessler vs McCown I agree. McCown was supposed to 'open up' the downfield passing game. I remember three big throws - one completion that Pryor fought back for and could have gone anywhere; one big overthrow that should have been a touchdown; and one interception. So, I'm happy sticking with Kessler the rest of the way.

Your apprehensions may not have been much different from the team's. Part of the "learning how to win" cliche' that's more true than not.

We had five 2nd-half possessions.

Your apprehensions may not have been much different from the team's. Part of the "learning how to win" cliche' that's more true than not.

We had five 2nd-half possessions.

When you're up by 13 at the half, fewer possessions isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just need to not let them score TDs on three consecutive drives, and that appears to be the sticking point.

Fewer possessions isn't necessarily a bad thing if YOUR team is the one with the long scoring drives. LOL. Hell, if we could've even forced a damn FG or two, but our pathetic defense can't ever do THAT it seems. I forget the exact stat, but I heard something like the Jets converted four or five 3rd and 10 or more. Typical.

I hate our defense...hate it so much. The tackling, the lack of pass rush, the way they give up touchdowns and not FG's, and the way they never force turnovers. The feeling that when we absolutely NEED a play, we seem to never make it. I'm sure much of that can be said about the offense, but the defense is mostly to blame for giving up 3 straight TD drives. That's pathetic. If they could've held the Jets to just ONE FG...just one...look at the score now.

Fewer possessions isn't necessarily a bad thing if YOUR team is the one with the long scoring drives. LOL. Hell, if we could've even forced a damn FG or two, but our pathetic defense can't ever do THAT it seems. I forget the exact stat, but I heard something like the Jets converted four or five 3rd and 10 or more. Typical.

I hate our defense...hate it so much. The tackling, the lack of pass rush, the way they give up touchdowns and not FG's, and the way they never force turnovers. The feeling that when we absolutely NEED a play, we seem to never make it. I'm sure much of that can be said about the offense, but the defense is mostly to blame for giving up 3 straight TD drives. That's pathetic. If they could've held the Jets to just ONE FG...just one...look at the score now.

To their credit, they forced a FG when the O turned it over at the 10. I mean, clutching at straws a bit in the second half, but, you know, it's something?

Yeah, I actually thought about that after I hit "Post", but was too lazy to edit it. Our coach also deserves some blame for the atrocious clock management at the end. That draw play....I mean...REALLY? The players also didn't move with the alacrity and urgent nature of a team down ten, and it really pissed me off.

Concussions are tricky things, and I'd be lying if I said I felt 100% sure that Cody will be back this week. The sooner I read, "Cody cleared from concussion protocol", the happier I'll feel. Cody and Coleman on the field (for offense) is what makes me want to watch this team. I still can't believe Corey's broken hand from practice...Jesus.

Chad Kelly out for the year with a knee injury. He was a guy the Browns may have had on their radar.

Lucky for my A&M team which also just lost the starting QB Sat. We play Ole Miss in College Station this weekend. Neither has their starting QB.

Lucky for my A&M team which also just lost the starting QB Sat. We play Ole Miss in College Station this weekend. Neither has their starting QB.

I guess your reputation extends to your Aggie fandom as well. We will have Trevor.

What else do you guys want from Kessler?

Rookie...

68% comp.

Over 1,000 tds

5 tds 1 int

Historically bad offensive line..

6 different starting o-line combinations..

#1 target is a guy who changed to WR from QB last season..

Always playing from behind so opposing defenses know he has to throw..

Stared the season as a 3rd stringer.. thrown into action Week 3

Since when has a ROOKIE been this good for us since 99? I'll wait

Don't let how bad this team is detract from Kessler's performance so far

I guess your reputation extends to your Aggie fandom as well. We will have Trevor.

Thank you Dr. War. I did not realize your practice had remained open. Seems very debatable whether he can play effectively.

BTW in case you haven't noticed, it seems you are becoming incapable of making posts on here without it being insulting in one way or another. I would venture to say you would not say some of the things you put on here if that person were standing in front of you. Grow up.

We drafted a great backup. Every team needs one. Come 2018, that's where he will be.

Once we have a legit roster, he will be able to win us games if our QB goes down.

I'd be down for that if he hits a wall. There's obviously some physical limitations, but we shall see. I hope they give him next year and if he takes the reigns and stacks good games and wins together, we've got our guy..

I think he can do it

If not.. Jake Browning in 2018 it is!

We drafted a great backup. Every team needs one. Come 2018, that's where he will be.

Once we have a legit roster, he will be able to win us games if our QB goes down.

good post Adoug319!! We drafted Kosar as a backup to Gary Danielson. We Drafted Sipe as a backup up to Mike Phipps..1 Miami,1 SD State, 1 Southern Cal..It's worth another shot, any way we can get us there..

What else do you guys want from Kessler?

Rookie...

68% comp.

Over 1,000 tds

5 tds 1 int

Historically bad offensive line..

6 different starting o-line combinations..

#1 target is a guy who changed to WR from QB last season..

Always playing from behind so opposing defenses know he has to throw..

Stared the season as a 3rd stringer.. thrown into action Week 3

Since when has a ROOKIE been this good for us since 99? I'll wait

Don't let how bad this team is detract from Kessler's performance so far

Damn! 1000 TDs? Dude's killin' it.

But yea, I agree, he's the lone bright spot in a dark hole full of turds.

Thank you Dr. War. I did not realize your practice had remained open. Seems very debatable whether he can play effectively.

BTW in case you haven't noticed, it seems you are becoming incapable of making posts on here without it being insulting in one way or another. I would venture to say you would not say some of the things you put on here if that person were standing in front of you. Grow up.

And you can't make a post without insulting our teams. I'll take my side of the ledger.

You said we didn't have our QB. Now you're switching it to "effectively"?

It's VERY hard to evaluate Cody when he's playing on a team like ours. No rookie QB should feel like he has to score a touchdown EVERY time he has the ball, and that's just about what the deal was Sunday. For some reason, FOX didn't replay the 3rd down throw to Hawkins in the end zone, but at first glance, the throw looked almost perfect. Cody evaded pressure, rolled back to the left, kept his head up...and threw a soft ball to the diving Hawkins...who failed to make the catch. Again, I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it. Cody is extremely accurate, and is money when throwing near the sidelines. I saw Hawkins dive, and I THOUGHT he had it...but then the ball rolled around on the ground and I cursed up a storm.

Also, did anyone else notice on the two deep throws to Coleman and Pryor how both receivers jumped AWAY from the ball? Don't get me wrong, I know how hard it must be to run full speed one direction, and then to stop and jump the other way. However, if you saw the replay of both throws, you'd notice that Pryor and Coleman were fading away when the ball arrived. This might sound silly and ridiculous, but it's not. For example, on Pryor's throw, his defender wasn't even looking at the ball. The announcer even made mention of it. So if Pryor was able to stop and jump TOWARDS the defender, guess what happens? He either makes the catch outright, or the flag for pass interference comes out. A defender not looking at the ball who plows into the receiver? Yeah, they'll call that all day. Same with Corey's attempt.

I realize that both receivers are essentially rookies, and it would've been tough, but these are the kind of plays we NEED to start making more often. Even if it's just to draw a pass interference call. Was Cody perfect? Hell no he wasn't. I saw at least twice (and there were probably more) where Cody immediately went to the short route, and we had a guy running free deep down the field. One play in particular Cody missed a streaking Barnidge down the seam. He didn't even look his way, he just fired the ball directly to the guy in front of him for 6 yards.

Hue Jackson kind of pissed me off when he said it's the QB's job to win the game. I realize he wasn't putting the entire loss on Cody, but I was kind of hoping the coach would GIVE IT TO THE DAMN DEFENSE just a little bit. How many punts did we force? How many FG's did we hold them to? How many turnovers? Cody threw SEVEN PASSES in the second half. SEVEN. And it wasn't because we were trying to grind out the clock and running the ball. It's because we NEVER HAD THE BALL.

I just don't see how we can evaluate a QB when we have the worst defense in the entire league. I actually LIKE what I see out of Cody, but who knows if it's enough? It's not like he's going to get the benefit of a stout defense. He's not going to get the ball back if he makes a mistake and fails to complete a 3rd down. He isn't going to enjoy a turnover deep inside the opponent's territory, where he gets to come in and try to score a quick touchdown. NOOOOOOO, he has to sit down for a half an hour each time our defense is out there, and sit there and watch us get carved up until they score a touchdown.

As Mud and many other people on this board have said, we have NO talent on defense, and now it's starting to show more than ever. Dallas was the absolute worst team for us to play because of their OL, and when I watched our defenders get completely absorbed by their big guys, it was so sad. It really was. We have NOBODY explosive. Nobody that can burst through and drill a QB. And what's with the defensive miscommunications? We just give up easy touchdowns now? WTF?

I just can't...I can't right now.

I would hope so. But I'm guessing Gipper had his eye on him a little more than our FO.

Browns may have #1 overall pick.....do you think they would take a QB there? I don't, not now. So, yes, I think our FO had their eyes on Chad Kelly. (Hell, they have their eyes on the top 500 possible draftable players). But if they really wanted to use a high pick on a QB....who would you have had your eyes on? Kelly would have been one of those guys....along with several others. But he would be in there.

I wouldn't take the kid in any round. Lots of talent but way too volatile and I think his receivers make a lot of his plays for him. I like his moxie but he's a little too much of a gangster. I could excuse anything until he jumped into a brawl on the field during his little brother's high school game. What an idiot.

And you can't make a post without insulting our teams. I'll take my side of the ledger.

You said we didn't have our QB. Now you're switching it to "effectively"?

Here Jackass. He's out for the season. I guess your reputation extends to your Aggie fandom as well. We will NOT have Trevor.

http://texags.com/s/22414/trevor-knights-injury-thrusts-spotlight-onto-am-backup-jake-hubenak

I'm sure you're stoked. I am a prominent poster on Texags (and I am actually very negative about the Ags at the moment, so no my reputation really doesn't) and no one had that info and everyone assumed after what Trevor posted yesterday that he was playing. You, however, assumed he was not, because you're negative about everything. But I'm sure you're excited to be right. I was wrong. Congrats.

I'm sure you're stoked. I am a prominent poster on Texags (and I am actually very negative about the Ags at the moment, so no my reputation really doesn't) and no one had that info and everyone assumed after what Trevor posted yesterday that he was playing. You, however, assumed he was not, because you're negative about everything. But I'm sure you're excited to be right. I was wrong. Congrats.

I watched him in the sling at the game and it sure looked like shoulder separation to me. And I know he's a warrior and tried to play with it anyway which did not come close to working. His post yesterday was extremely vague, mostly about being back to Kyle. It isn't that I was negative, just realistic. I'm exactly the same here. This team does not look anything like a real NFL team. That is realistic, not negative. You need to learn the difference. Your wing and a prayer hope that Trevor would play and then insulting me in the process because I had a different opinion is what I object to. Your arrogance in that response is what I did not like, as if your opinion of his ability to play was better than mine. Would I rather have Trevor back playing now? Damn right I would. But I just could not justify it being possible after seeing what I saw, a guy who was in terrible pain in his throwing shoulder reluctantly standing on the sidelines in a full arm sling.

Just for the record I am not negative about the Ags in the long run. We'd be fools to run Sumlin off. Everyone has problems getting through the SEC West except the giant in the room that squashes them all. All the rest of us fight each other for the leftovers.

Archived