THE BROWNS BOARD

Anyone Excited About Kessler Yet?

wargograw

RE: the 49ers- I'm sure Gip. Gabbert and anit-patriot? Stinko city. Of the teams in the bottom 5, only the Panthers don't need a qb. Jets? Count on it. #6 Saints may even be thinking long term to find a replacement when Brees retires. Now if Kessler continues to improve- that will give the Browns the option of BPA on defense, and my even be able to trade down a spot or two and get Garrett or someone similar. The way this is shaping up for draft 2017, as long as the Browns are in the top 3, they'll be fine. :)

I think the decision to not draft a QB was made the day they took Kessler. At least that's my hope. Draft defense and more defense and then more defense and maybe an offensive lineman or 2 sprinkled in.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bears....who likely will have a Top 3 pick, seem almost certain to be in the market for a future QB.

Perhaps the same is true of the 49ers....not sure.

So, just like in previous years, even though prognosticators may believe no Top 3 draft pick talent exists at QB....they will be taken there because of the importance of the position and the dire need of some teams for one.

And this may still include the Browns.

with the 9"ers they may have a new coach(phil knight was on the sidelines last week)and one would think a new coach would want his own q.b

The Bears....who likely will have a Top 3 pick, seem almost certain to be in the market for a future QB.

Perhaps the same is true of the 49ers....not sure.

So, just like in previous years, even though prognosticators may believe no Top 3 draft pick talent exists at QB....they will be taken there because of the importance of the position and the dire need of some teams for one.

And this may still include the Browns.

Agree and as h added, there are many potential QB hunters.

My point was that some of the Class of 17 prospects, and good ones, will be there thru the better part of Day 1 and perhaps even a good bit of Day 2.

And then there's always Tour's sleeper de l'année... Who will it be?

Fuck. He will take our one win of the year and lose us Garrett in the process. I'm not sure 1-15 would be worth it at all.

I don't think there'll be any other 1-15 teams. *maybe* the 49ers. The bears usually manage to pull out a win or two in the division. The nfc champion panthers, with Cam Newton, will win more than one game.

LOL, it's funny...I felt the same way. I absolutely love so many things about McCown, but I was certainly worried that he'd provide enough of a spark to beat a couple teams. I know that "hoping to lose" is extremely weak, but when you're 0-7, might as well be the worst so you can get the BEST pick, right? And Garrett is rated as one of those "every ten years" kind of talents, so we definitely want that type of player on our roster.

The main hurt I'm feeling is the loss of Kessler for this week. I was enjoying watching his play and development. The good news for him (and us) is that Cody appears to be doing well and will be ready for next week.

Our defense was completely abysmal last week, and we turned in one of the worst performances I've seen in a while. It was REALLY bad. I still haven't heard a word about Haden's health, but I wouldn't count on him playing. If Haden plays, we might have a chance to beat the Jets. Fitzpatrick has turned the ball over many times this year, and although he OWNS the Browns record wise, I could see him throwing some INT's and possibly a pick-6.

At any rate, McCown playing definitely makes the game more watchable, and who knows, maybe we'll even have FUN this Sunday! Remember "fun"?

Ag, why did Garrett look like crap against Bama? They had to pull him out of the game for "being gassed". Was he injured?

He didn't look like a #1 overall, but I'd say "crap" is a little strong. He was going against a former 5 star, 3 year starter, 1st rounder this year Cam Robinson for one (Jonathan Allen is awesome but let's note the fact he was going against a 3 star true freshman complete scrub, comparatively). Myles has a deep leg bruise as well. So, while he can play, he's in a ton of pain. Excuses aside though, PFF gave him very good run D grades and he got some pressures later in the game.

He didn't look like a #1 overall, but I'd say "crap" is a little strong. He was going against a former 5 star, 3 year starter, 1st rounder this year Cam Robinson for one (Jonathan Allen is awesome but let's note the fact he was going against a 3 star true freshman complete scrub, comparatively). Myles has a deep leg bruise as well. So, while he can play, he's in a ton of pain. Excuses aside though, PFF gave him very good run D grades and he got some pressures later in the game.

I didn't know the ins and outs of it so that makes a lot more sense. Between Allen or Garret, who would you pull the trigger on if they were both available? I know you are an Aggies fan but you are pragmatic.

I hate the awkwardness of our personnel right now.

Awkwardness joined Ugggliness when Des & Orch went down. Still think Niles Stamples would have also helped against the run also..I still see Bears & 9'ers being the 2 teams that breaks the Draft walls down to take a QB & not Us, to stop Kess's chances of growth. So, here we sit again in everybody's way of a deal or no deal for a QB. But this time, let's be like the Tits with Mariota & get a Allen Or Garrett at 1 or 2 than Jets & Bears can decide between the other 2 curtains. I also prefer Allen at this point..But, Lot'a time on clock

All the local media seems to think McCown will get the start. Kess isn't out of protocol yet

Fuck. He will take our one win of the year and lose us Garrett in the process. I'm not sure 1-15 would be worth it at all.

My question is what if Josh does manage to beat the Jets? Does Hue bench him and start Kessler when he's healthy? Or are meaningless wins more important?

Awkwardness joined Ugggliness when Des & Orch went down. Still think Niles Stamples would have also helped against the run also..I still see Bears & 9'ers being the 2 teams that breaks the Draft walls down to take a QB & not Us, to stop Kess's chances of growth. So, here we sit again in everybody's way of a deal or no deal for a QB. But this time, let's be like the Tits with Mariota & get a Allen Or Garrett at 1 or 2 than Jets & Bears can decide between the other 2 curtains. I also prefer Allen at this point..But, Lot'a time on clock

Stamples been out with injury? I completely forgot about him.

My question is what if Josh does manage to beat the Jets? Does Hue bench him and start Kessler when he's healthy? Or are meaningless wins more important?

I think Kessler gets put back in there to keep developing him over the year. Winning 3 games with Kess is meaningful. It shows improvement. Winning 3 games with Josh is pretty well hollow.

I still think Kessler's performance has been overshadowed by the team's overall level of awfulness. Let's look at Brady Quinn's first five games, or Brandon Weeden's. How about Johnny Manziel? These are ALL first round guys, and none of them could scan the field like Cody could. One of the throws that stands out to me is Cody's first TD pass to Pryor. Despite a late double team, Pryor managed to out-race both defenders to the side of the end zone, and Cody had one place to put the ball with the sideline rapidly approaching. Not an easy throw, but one he made LOOK easy.

Perhaps this concussion is the best thing for the kid. Maybe he needs a week or two to sit back and learn what he could do differently in terms of avoiding hits. Are there defensive indicators that show a kind of blitz? Is there a way to identify a quick read and let the ball rip sooner? Could he throw the ball away before it gets too late? Watching Josh McCown isn't the greatest way to learn this because Josh holds onto the damn ball longer than anybody, but just maybe...Cody can learn something from this. At least it's a concussion and not a blown knee (obviously concussions are serious, but I'm talking in terms of returning to the field).

Went to IR 8/16 with shoulder. been over 10 weeks, most IR's can come back at or after week 8? Stample & Gabe Wright would battle for 3rd on depth chart behind Paea & Shelton. Watched Niles at FSU alot & he can push a pocket in a QB's lap..Sure would be nice to see anybody do it at this point...

I still think Kessler's performance has been overshadowed by the team's overall level of awfulness. Let's look at Brady Quinn's first five games, or Brandon Weeden's. How about Johnny Manziel? These are ALL first round guys, and none of them could scan the field like Cody could. One of the throws that stands out to me is Cody's first TD pass to Pryor. Despite a late double team, Pryor managed to out-race both defenders to the side of the end zone, and Cody had one place to put the ball with the sideline rapidly approaching. Not an easy throw, but one he made LOOK easy.

Perhaps this concussion is the best thing for the kid. Maybe he needs a week or two to sit back and learn what he could do differently in terms of avoiding hits. Are there defensive indicators that show a kind of blitz? Is there a way to identify a quick read and let the ball rip sooner? Could he throw the ball away before it gets too late? Watching Josh McCown isn't the greatest way to learn this because Josh holds onto the damn ball longer than anybody, but just maybe...Cody can learn something from this. At least it's a concussion and not a blown knee (obviously concussions are serious, but I'm talking in terms of returning to the field).

hard to say at this point...i do know this, that if we don't have a real football team out their, he's going to get killed like all the others.

Was put on IR at the end of August after damaging his shoulder early in the month.

Only one IR can bounce back to playing, and it's after 8 weeks, but you don't have to specify it at the time, unlike last year where you could have more but had to specify upfront.

The way guys are getting major injuries now the NFL should revisit that and maybe expand it a bit.

Bigger, faster, stronger equals more IR type injuries. .....plus it plays havoc with our FL teams! :lol:

Outstanding post!

On Nashville sports radio, they were talking about how the Colts recently game planned to better protect Andrew Luck by getting the ball out of his hands quicker with shorter throws to challenge TN's LBers in the hook zones and flats as well as their Safety via the TE Doyle. Doyle had about 10 catches on a LeBeau Defense that has been vulnerable to TEs.

Kessler may not be Andrew Luck talent wise; but he has shared some beatings as a passer while sporting some impressive accuracy in spite of it. At the very least, I would think we could off set some aggressive pass rushes with some screen passes to our RBs. In previous years, we sucked at setting up screen passes. Early on this year, I saw us set some up pretty well. I also think we can swing pass our RBs to challenge the flats. No reason Duke and Crow can't become as good at this as Byner and Fontenot became when defenses were foaming at the mouth to get to the cement shoes of Bernie Kosar.

When Infante showed up in 1986, he inherited 2 RBs that gained over 1000 yards apiece in 1985. He also knew he had an accurate and intelligent young QB who's immobility was about to go on trail against aggressive pass rushes. Lindy loved to remind defenses if they wanted to blitz - he had the RBs and TE that could make them pay dearly and often for doing so. Our RBs had 123 receptions in our 12 win season back in 1986 while Ozzie was Ozzie.

Today, Barnidge is coming off a Pro Bowl season while we're still learning the names of our young WRs filling in while Coleman is injured and Pryor is on a snap count with his hammy. Duke came here with a history of being a good receiver out of the backfield while Crow is also showing us promise as a receiver out of the backfield. All this gives me the feeling we can protect our QBs better with a quick ball control passing game.

It'll be interesting to see how the second half of the season shakes out.

We need Cody to get healthy, and STAY that way. Josh McCown played like...well...he played like Josh McCown against the Jets. Made some good plays, but couldn't sustain it for an entire game. He was also the victim of multiple drops, several by Ricardo "Skillet Hands" Louis, and also Terrell Pryor...who didn't appear to favor the wet conditions.

Would we have won with Cody starting? Who really knows, but I DO like how Cody is a bit more consistent. God forbid we have our bye week right now so our guys could get healthy. The schedule gods didn't do us many favors this season.

That's a great point, London. The weather obviously impacted our receivers yesterday, and Terrell Pryor got his first taste of playing with a wet ball, and he didn't much like it. Ricardo drops everything anyways, so nothing new there. Josh had at least one slip on him (the lateral out of bounds), and probably others. Cody is from California...it'll be interesting to see how he does as the weather gets truly nasty in Cleveland, AND we have most of our home games coming up.

We don't have to WIN to be successful right now. We just need the young guys to stay healthy and play well. Cody MIGHT be healthy this week, and finally might get to play with Corey Coleman. Since Coleman wasn't actually catching balls last week, I'm hesitant to think he'll be playing this week. In fact, I'd say it's very unlikely that we'll see Coleman until another week. Hope I'm wrong.

Archived