THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Trade for Patriots LB Jamie Collins

TypicalBrowns

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't know much about him in detail but sounds like what the doctor ordered:

“He doesn’t dominate in any one role like Luke Kuechly does in pass coverage and run defense, but he is very good at all facets of the game,” Kosko said of the 6-foot-3, 250-pound Collins. “Collins has the athleticism to cover TEs and HBs effectively, the explosiveness to rush the passer, and the size and strength to defend the run.”

-from http://nep.247sports.com/Bolt/Pro-Football-Focus-Jamie-Collins-is-AFCs-eighth-best-defender-46044679

OK, this is all lovely, but his contract is up after this year, did we, a 0-8 team, really give a third round pick for a guy to play 8 games and then almost certainly go sign somewhere else? There has to be something more to this, right, like we've spoken to him and he's going to extend his contract etc., but then why would he agree to that, rather than going in to free agency in march?

OK, this is all lovely, but his contract is up after this year, did we, a 0-8 team, really give a third round pick for a guy to play 8 games and then almost certainly go sign somewhere else? There has to be something more to this, right, like we've spoken to him and he's going to extend his contract etc., but then why would he agree to that, rather than going in to free agency in march?

We did not. If they can't re-sign him I can almost guarantee he will be the beneficiary of a franchise tag. It's the only way this move makes sense. I don't know who else on the Browns has a contract expiring at the end of the year but I can guarantee they aren't franchise-tag worthy.

We did not. If they can't re-sign him I can almost guarantee he will be the beneficiary of a franchise tag. I don't know who else on the Browns has a contract expiring at the end of the year but I can guarantee they aren't franchise-tag worthy.

They are not. The most notable players are Pryor (UFA) and Crowell (ERFA?), who we should strive to re-sign. Outside of that, it's names like Poyer, T Williams etc.

Collins is a good football player but can you imagine how the dude feels? Hey man, you're getting traded from the best organization and team in football to pretty much the worst. Oh also you still get to play in shitty cold weather.

As long as he has a good attitude though this is a great pick-up. Collins is one of those dudes who just does everything well but nothing incredible which I LOVE at the LB position.

His agent said he's 'not upset just wants to go where he's wanted' - I guess he forgot the '...and has a chance of winning a game this year'.

Or, it could be a PR move? A signal to the players that it's not ok to give up on the season, that the FO and coaching staff is not giving up trying to win every damn game? Getting a guy who is a veteran of a winning organisation, injecting some winning mentality, if only for 6 months?

His agent said he's 'not upset just wants to go where he's wanted' - I guess he forgot the '...and has a chance of winning a game this year'.

Or, it could be a PR move? A signal to the players that it's not ok to give up on the season, that the FO and coaching staff is not giving up trying to win every damn game? Getting a guy who is a veteran of a winning organisation, injecting some winning mentality, if only for 6 months?

All of the above. He sounds like the type of guy the defense needs... a well-rounded defender who can cover tight-ends, stop the run, and rush the passer. It doesn't hurt that it comes at a really low time for the fans and the team.

Funny he's liked by PFF because his play this year has been pretty averaged compared to what he's done before.

Basically Jamie is new Mingo except he's able to finish plays when he gets there.

He's been liked by them every year, pretty much - rookie team of the year in 2013, honorable mentions or similar for team of the year in 2014, 15, that kind of things.

Maybe he's having a down year (bad timing), but he's pretty consistent, and seems to be a well rounded, multi-dimensional player, who will allow us to roll with more disguised plays on D, and hopefully bring out the best in the guys around him as well (*cough* Kirksey *cough*).

Collins was more of a package player in NE IIRC. Not considered an every down LB by them. I think he wants his opportunity to be the dude - he's going to be like Cleveland's Von Miller. We are likely building a defense around him, rather than having him be a situational player.

I don't think this bodes well for us getting Garrett, though.

I'm wondering if we're looking to switch to a 4-3 more permanently? With Nassib-Meder-Shelton-Ogbah on the line, then Collins-Davis-Kirksey as the backers. Hell, that's not a terrible front seven, even if the secondary is essentially some remote controlled tackle dummies.

I'm wondering if we're looking to switch to a 4-3 more permanently? With Nassib-Meder-Shelton-Ogbah on the line, then Collins-Davis-Kirksey as the backers. Hell, that's not a terrible front seven, even if the secondary is essentially some remote controlled tackle dummies.

I hope so. We've basically been playing 4-3 more than anything else lately and that makes a lot of sense for our linebackers.

Next year, after injuries, you'd also have Desmond Bryant starting inside next to Danny Shelton, backed up by Meder and Cooper. Orchard backing up the ends, plus probably a relatively high draft pick.

At LB, you have Schobert backing up, though then you're down to basically nobody - Dominique Alexander isn't going to strike fear in to too many OCs. Could see another draft pick (or FA) needed here in the mould of Davis (middle of the pack, capable if limited starter and/or quality backup).

Then, that secondary...

No, that's NOT a terrible front, and it's something to build on, right? Also, don't forget about getting Desmond Bryant back, if he's still under contract. I'm guessing that we'll release him, but who knows? Perhaps we can keep him. We need DEPTH now up front, and then we need to figure out the damn secondary. And no, I don't think that knocks Myles Garrett out of the running with the first pick either.

Even if we somehow get the first pick, I SEVERELY doubt that we'd keep it. There will be another team who is completely enamored with either Garrett or one of the QB's, and they will offer up the UNIVERSE for the top pick. It's an analytics jamboree, and I can't see how our new office could possibly say no. The VERY early guy on my radar, other than Garrett of course, is Trubisky. Love that guy, but really hoping we don't need him.

Archived