THE BROWNS BOARD

Report: Browns Begin Searching For New Football Executive

jbluhm86

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everytime I hear of one of these purges I remember the old sayings it's easier to get rid of one manager than 25 players or one coach than 53 players.

Same with the FO, you're chopping off the head of the snake.....you're still stuck with the carcass for a long time until it rots away.

And the Cleveland Browns revolving door of futility continues, NEXT!

I've heard from a couple of different reporters, that Kenny Britt is not hurt...he got benched by Hue.

Just think, the morons in the FO that gave Britt a 4 year $32 million dollar deal, got benched after his 5th game of the season in his first year.

And is there any Browns fan that has confidence in letting these same clowns pick in the upcoming draft?

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

I've heard from a couple of different reporters, that Kenny Britt is not hurt...he got benched by Hue.

Just think, the morons in the FO that gave Britt a 4 year $32 million dollar deal, got benched after his 5th game of the season in his first year.

And is there any Browns fan that has confidence in letting these same clowns pick in the upcoming draft?

Exactly...I've been saying this for several years. Why do we get excited about first round draft picks?...why do we suggest trading for more draft picks? If we've proven anything, it's that we have no idea how to judge talent. We always get stuck with these arrogant geniuses who are " smarter than everyone else", so they pass on the obvious choice, to pick some loser. Yes, Jimmy...fire all their asses today!...screw the idiots who say you have a quick trigger finger. It's your team, correct your mistakes. But, then...please hire knowledgeable, sincere football people to turn this crap into a real professional football team. Oh....if it's true Britt was benched, I have no problem with it. He sucks, and should be wearing a ski mask when he accepts his pay check. Another washed up, overrated player that these idiots picked up.

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Well whomever they reached out to isn't currently employed as I believe contact with any current FO member or Exec is prohibited during this part of the year.  

I.E.... Peyton.  

Theres nothing to stop Jimmy and Peyton from talking behind closed doors...

19 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

The only part I put any faith in is the denial of the the "report" which interestingly labels it both "false" and "erroneous".

That said... I have to ask "why the use of two words in the denial that are essentially synonyms?"

One potential explanation is that while we are "searching" we are not looking for a new "GM guru", but rather lower positions. In this case the report is false in that we are not looking for a new top dog, but also is erroneous because we are looking.

I have no doubt we are looking to add "football" talent to the FO. Doing so is part of the FO process. I've written about this before. It's a key element of any continuous improvement process. Some members of the FO now have two years of track record. The weakest of these, likely 10 - 20% of the staff, are prime candidates for dismissal either for prospects they backed or prospects they failed to ID. And either way these prospects don't have to be on our roster for their work to be evaluated.

I even feel it is likely our FO is emphasizing adding/ improving talent in QB evaluation. While I am not ready to anoint every young QB we have passed on, even ones with more of a resume' such as Wentz, let alone the early flashes that are Watson and Trubs, our need to sharpen our evaluation capability is looking evermore important with the looming QB class... and our continuing need at the position. This could even involve the use of P. Manning as a "Special Consultant".

2 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

So many elite players we've had on the board and traded away since 2014

The Raiders essentially rebuilt  their team by drafting the two guys we should have. Mack and Carr

I hate hearing from people on this board talking about players we should have taken.  If we had taken Carr, he would've been more beat up than he is now.  The fact is we've been trying to get good talent, but we don't give coaches enough time.  Our fans want the coaches to go after one or two years.  I still think we need to give them at least 3-5 years.  Again, no team has a worse record than we do when it comes to firing coaches.  How many have we had since '99?  I forgot.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

One more thing...

If I am wrong and we revert to a traditional, football guru at the top FO...

... then I am outta here...

Tour, Hue I'm not sure about- the post game ranting was just more frustration. We haven't drafted that poorly. Garrett, Peppers, Njoku all ok in my book. You know how I feel about Kizer. But after Hogan stunk the place up, we're going to see Deshone sooner than later. I'll shoot you a PM later tonight when I get home.

One more thing...

If I am wrong and we revert to a traditional, football guru at the top FO...

... then I am outta here...

Aw, come on, we're Browns fans for life, regardless of how bad we suck. And you know the suckage is extreme, when a Texans fan feels so sorry for you they bought me a Heineken. 😀

12 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Why? 

Here as in done with the Browns.

I believe in what we are doing... I see it's promise. If the plug gets pulled prematurely, I'm done.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Peyton would likely bring someone like Bill Polian on with him....to consult or otherwise.

I would hope.

Mike Holmgren had a ton of experience in the NFL, the same winning pedigree as Manning but in a different position, and was mediocre at best as a front office exec.

I'm not saying Manning couldn't be successful, I just wonder if some people love the idea of Manning because he's a big name.

Going to hang a curve ball right over the plate or just piling on..October 31st 4 pm is Trade Deadline Day.. the mystery Football Executive comes into play way before the draft..#73

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I would hope.

Mike Holmgren had a ton of experience in the NFL, the same winning pedigree as Manning but in a different position, and was mediocre at best as a front office exec.

I'm not saying Manning couldn't be successful, I just wonder if some people love the idea of Manning because he's a big name.

Yes, certainly that is a big part of it.   Another big part of it is:  What the effing ell do we have to lose trying this?  

The concern that we are not being patient?  Or is it pride?

45 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I believe in what we are doing... I see it's promise. If the plug gets pulled prematurely, I'm done.

So you beleive in analytics so much that bringing football people in would disgust you so much? Im not 100% against analytics, it has its place but it might be in other sports. 

I want former high level players making draft decisions, not a bean counter. You can use analytics deciding on established free agents and what their actual value is vs what they're asking for etc, etc. I just dont see how someone like sashi brown with no eye for what goes on when the pads come on, how his opinion can trump the opinion on...lets say a QB... of a guy like manning

I knew that this rebuild was going to be ugly, and I knew that even though Browns fans seemingly were overwhelmingly behind the hiring of Hue, that they'd turn on him in a second when all the losses came. Losses that were inevitable when the majority of your team is rookies and second year guys. I also know that years ago this fanbase was solidly behind using the 3rd overall pick on Troy Smith. It is what it is.

That being said, I don't have a problem with the idea behind this rebuild, or even how it's been done (in general... I don't think all the vets had to be jettisoned considering the massive amount of cap space, but whatever). The problem I'm having now is with the execution of the plan. I have some doubts, to be honest.

I still would like to see this organization intact into next season, but I don't think it is happening. Will it be a wholesale change? That I don't know... but someone/some people IMO are going to pay at the end of this season.

10 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

You can use analytics deciding on established free agents and what their actual value is vs what they're asking for etc, etc. I just dont see how someone like sashi brown with no eye for what goes on when the pads come on, how his opinion can trump the opinion on

And the answer is Kenny Britt & Tretter? 

Completely Agree Tour. I really enjoy the philosophy and method this FO is using but its really in its infancy in our organization. My issues have been with coaching and scheme some personal preference and some obvious misuse. I just cant get my head around the fact we grabbed so many athletic in space playmakers and run a scheme thats predicated on low percentage plays better suited to veteran players. A good example is the vertical passing game is greatly enhanced when a wily vet can get the PI calls. Britt for example Excelled GREATLY in Crossing routes as did Cody Kessler AND Sammie Coates but we rarely run them now... Funnily enough Kessler had the Highest QB Rating in the league on these routes...

I agree and disagree.  I believe in the draft capital approach to an extent - I don't believe in how we've gone about identifying the talent.   I still can't find it in myself to get past a couple of the players we ignored.  

This is where i believe Sashi needs his role reduced. 

Archived