THE BROWNS BOARD

Dorsey Hired

Adoug319

My short lived exile has been postponed on this hire... Also anyone thinking this is a pure football guy?

http://decisionlens.com/customers/kansas-city-chiefs

That's the analytics company contracted by John Dorsey for the chiefs. Feel free to read the case study about "moneyball" being used by dorsey as far back as 2009 in the selection of Clay Matthews. If anything we have DOUBLED DOWN on analytics rather than strayed away from them.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, CaineDeSoulis said:

My short lived exile has been postponed on this hire... Also anyone thinking this is a pure football guy?

http://decisionlens.com/customers/kansas-city-chiefs

That's the analytics company contracted by John Dorsey for the chiefs. Feel free to read the case study about "moneyball" being used by dorsey as far back as 2009 in the selection of Clay Matthews. If anything we have DOUBLED DOWN on analytics rather than strayed away from them.

All teams use Analytics and have for years.  The difference is what position they hold in the organization - are they making the decisions or just providing the decision-makers with the data and analysis.  In this case, it looks like he outsourced the Analytics instead of having it done internally.

I'm a bit concerned with a few other red flags. 

If he's really a disorganized guy who doesn't keep the rest of the organization informed, this could become a huge problem.

It's also apparent that Hue has the owner's ear.  If he can go over the GM's head, we could be in for another round of FO in-fighting for the next two years and end up with another cluster-f.  Two years seems to be Haslam's limit, despite any statements made publicly.

when the browns decide to go outside the box i guess it means someone wiping down the floor after them later with bleach.

i've picked a KC/Detroit SB every year and both crap out worse than a marvin lewis HCed team.....

if haslam had listened to fans bernie would be sitting at a desk with his scotch looking at a one paged yellow binder scribbled note, closing his eyes, rolling the dice and praying no snake eyes....or box cars.

Shmuck mccarron. if he was sooo good he'd be starting somewhere.

dorsey might be a saviour or might be another huge flippin whiff. give me the draft and TC to figure him out.

god help us if Hue has anyone's ear (in a jar on a shelf). i think this marks the beginning of the Mayfield 6 game era in cleveland.

Hue talking to dee haslam:

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Jesus Christ that was fast

Not really. He bought Cowhers house in Berea 2 months ago.

Also the Steelers are reporting that Sackashitsi just bought a house in Sewickley.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Count me as not surprised...

Again, count me as not surprised...    the Haslam\Hue\McCarron meeting on the field- the Owner\Hue\players meeting minus Sashi. The tea leaves were there, if we wanted to read them.... 

I've heard of an organization bringing a guy in to "show him the ropes" and then firing the guy who trained him.... 

Could it have been (unlikely) they asked Sashi to go back to his old job as beancounter, and he wouldn't accept the demotion? 

PS I sure hope Dorsey is better than those last two "football guys" Farmer and Holmgren... 

M Holmgren was never GM here. Farmer was Haslam's mouthpiece. 

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

As I said in another thread- depends if he wins his grievance or not. UFA- maybe. RFA, and the Bengals slap a first round tender on him? No way in hell. Even Hue (at least I hope) isn't crack headed enough to give up the #1 overall (or at the very worst the #3) for McCarron. 

^^^ LOL!!!!!  

I'm sorry Hoorta, I didn't see the other thread. Lots of info I'm sorting through right now. I've been a big Alex Smith fan for years now, and there's a part of me that wants him to come to Cleveland. With the Chiefs falling apart the past 5 games or so, maybe it's time for the Patrick Mahomes era to begin? If that's the case, what will it take to get him? I say we get Alex Smith, draft Rosen (or maybe Lamar...my dark horse!), and keep Kizer. That's a QB group I can rally behind. 

Of course, we don't know the price it'll take to get Alex Smith (if he's even for sale), but I don't think it's going to be high because the Chiefs are kind of in a bit of salary cap trouble (I THINK, might be wrong). So that tells me the Chiefs might simply CUT Smith at the end of the year. Easiest way to get salary cap under control is to get rid of the QB making big bucks. 

No fan should EXPECT Josh Gordon to be back next year. We all know better than that. But we all should expect us to go after the top FA wide receivers. I really believe that. Let's get an accurate, veteran QB. Spend money on the RIGHT veteran receivers, while drafting one early. Hope to heck Coleman stays healthy, and pray even harder for Josh to be on the right track. Chip away at our defensive holes, and maybe...just maybe...we can start fielding a competitive team. 

It's difficult not to get excited about this hiring in my opinion. We have a guy with a proven record of making a roster more competitive. We have more quality picks than I've ever seen. We have some good young players we can build around, and we're keeping our coaches. Regardless of how you feel about Hue and Gregg, it's difficult to argue against the importance of keeping our coaches and not switching systems AGAIN. Especially with such a young roster. 

Sashi never really got us a free safety, and that hurt. Gregg didn't do a good job of containing teams in the red zone, and his players didn't force anywhere NEAR enough turnovers. We need to get that figured out immediately, and also find a way to get some of these dang fumbles. Let's get healthy, add key depth, and nail this freaking draft. 

neither Williams or Hue have all the players they need to win.Williams needs a shut down cb and a strong fs. They were slamming the run game of opponents into the turf often. That is huge. Jamar Taylor could be a fs? he isn't much of a cb - Joe Haden lost a few steps, etc...I don't know that Taylor has his head in the game sometimes. Maybe a tall, very fast lb. The Browns can't stop passes for the most part so it's just impossible. Run defense works 90 percent of the time nicely. Boddy-Calhoun sp? is a real football player, but it's asking a lot for him to cover a tall wr -

Hue needs a real qb that sees the field, gets it. If a qb can't do it mentally, just doesn't see it... you can't coach it. and the wr crew... seriously? Higgins gets in on one catch... Louis disappears most of the time, Kenny Brittlehands can't catch but he gets open, and even Gordon gets double teamed and the qb can't get him the ball accurately anyways.

This next draft - a star qb, a #1 wr, a couple of db's... maybe a big smart instinctive rb...and I don't see how you stop the Browns from winning next year. They are oh so close...still seems far away.

About qb - I do have fun talking about Allen - I'm not looking for a chump that is in a perfect system to have high stats and has a great arm. I want a leader - a very, very smart qb that sees the field Kosar or Sipe wise. A guy who inspires his team to want to win, and know they CAN win. As much as Kizer plays hard, he turns right around and the offense deflates the defense.

Ridley is one of my favorite wr's, and D. J. Chark might be even better. Add one of these two to the offense. And with a later round pick....this kid is the kind of FOOTBALL PLAYER I would stock my team with. Smart, hard working, very talented... LOVES the game, and inspires his teammates ....

I love watching Baker Mayfield play... he could be that guy...but seems he has some kind of behavior problem or something. Or, maybe he grows up in time to be a great NFL qb. Tough for the Browns to take the chance, now

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20923614/west-virginia-david-sills-7th-grade-phenom-failed-qb-elite-receiver

sachi wasn't working out, so be it.

but I give Hue a pass on what seems to be "mistakes"... I think he has to spend too much time coveringfor a talented qb that lacks vision and doesn't see the field. How tough is it to learn how to look one way, then lookand throw the other way? How much instinct does it take to know that you can't throw a long pass to a wr that is closely double covered before the ball ever gets there?

I get upset with Hue, but I'm seeing more and more that he is frustrated at not having the players he needs, and he's trying to make decisions based on that fact.

9 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Rumors are that the NY Giants were interested in Dorsey.

The Giants are a no jacking around class organization who typically have an eye for talent in the front office and on the team.

Which is why the firing happened now.  Haslam knew NY would go after him.  

20 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Dorsey's entire career is as a scout.  How will he make a judgement on players he doesn't personally scout? Will there be.... metrics?

If there are metrics used and those ratings are based on team consensus [which given everything we can find is what Dorsey is all about].... this is different than Sashi how, exactly? One fewer "s" in the name yields infinite wins?

Sashi Browns entire career has been counting pinto navy,  lima, garbanzo and kidney beans.

WSS

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

sachi wasn't working out, so be it.

but I give Hue a pass on what seems to be "mistakes"... I think he has to spend too much time coveringfor a talented qb that lacks vision and doesn't see the field. How tough is it to learn how to look one way, then lookand throw the other way? How much instinct does it take to know that you can't throw a long pass to a wr that is closely double covered before the ball ever gets there?

I get upset with Hue, but I'm seeing more and more that he is frustrated at not having the players he needs, and he's trying to make decisions based on that fact.

We all want a Superbowl, don't we?

Ok, so I tell you this: any Superbowl team has roster problems. No winning team has a perfect roster. The coaching staff must make everything work, focusing on strengths and trying to minimize the flaws. For example, the Eagles this year have a dubious secondary, so they focused on pass rush to help the secondary.

If any coach goes 1-27, it's not only GM's fault, it's their fault too. And I don't think that a 1-27 coach can lead us to a Superbowl. He's not the "franchise coach" that everyone in this Board wishes for, in order to have some continuity in this roller coaster franchise.

8 hours ago, wargograw said:

Fired GM who couldn’t get another job. Terrible hire. 

He was just let go in like July.   Where were these job openings that he was supposed to get?   Its not like like there are dozens of openings for an NFL GM position.  Plus, it seems clear to me that they have had this move in mind since at least October.

2 hours ago, BrownsKidd said:

Interviewed Singletary a few weeks back.

Do you think that is what he was interviewed for?   At the time it was stated that he was brought in to talk about an asst. coach position....but you think it was actually for the GM slot?

They did this all on the hush hush.  There may have been a number of others interviewed that we have no clue about.

18 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

The owner has guaranteed the 1-27 HC his job a month after trying to sign hs QB of choice. 

Any GM that now arrives is nothing but a patsy to the head coach. He may as well not even be here. 

I think we now know what Hue meant when he said he wanted to be more involved in the process.

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That or this is Holmgren/Heckert/Mangini all over again, and a season is wasted with a new front office keeping the existing head coach that was inevitably fired... We'll see...

This was my first thought as well.

It will be interesting to see what other changes come in the FO... both resignations as well as terminations. To see how much of the consensus machine being built remains by the time April rolls around.

30 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

It will be interesting to see what other changes come in the FO... both resignations as well as terminations. To see how much of the consensus machine being built remains by the time April rolls around.

Well hopefully without the old engineer the consensus machine can be update from Steam to diesel or electric.

WSS

Archived