THE BROWNS BOARD

All Saquon, all the Time...

hoorta

https://sports.yahoo.com/penn-state-head-coach-james-214411333.html

Good video interview with James Franklin about Saq and the draft. 

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/shurmur-gettleman-drool-over-saquon-barkleys-potential/269893576

Shurmur, Gettleman drool over Saquon Barkley's potential

By Ralph Vacchiano | 11:35AM

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

ORLANDO -- Giants GM Dave Gettleman has made it clear that he won't necessarily take a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft. Of course, he wouldn't say who else he was considering.

But it sure sounded like he expects Penn State running back Saquon Barkley to be sitting atop his draft board when it's done.

Gettleman, who has been an NFL executive for 20 years and before that a scout since 1986, was practically drooling when he spoke about Barkley at the NFL owners meetings on Tuesday. He said he has very rarely seen a running back with the skills the 5-foot-11, 230-pounder has, which of course is why so many scouts and NFL executives consider him to be the best player in the draft.

"It's unusual," Gettleman said. "I'm telling you, he can string together moves and get in and out of stuff. It's funny, I (watched film of) him right before I came down. He's unique, no doubt about it. He's big, he's powerful, he can step on the gas, he's got different levels of speed. And he catches the heck out of the ball and he sees the blitz pickup stuff.

"So, you know, he's unique."

There's no doubt he is, and both Gettleman and Giants coach Pat Shurmur have said they don't have a problem with taking a running back second overall. For years, the prevailing thought in the NFL was that running backs could be found later, and that building an offensive line was far more important. But a recent run of game-changing running backs - like Dallas' Ezekiel Elliott and Los Angeles' Todd Gurley - has seemingly changed all that.

That's why the Giants could be faced with a very interesting choice if the Browns don't take Barkley with the top pick. The Giants need a quarterback to eventually replace the 37-year-old Eli Manning, and Shurmur admitted he has an "urge" to find a "generational quarterback" for his new team.

But what he's seen out of Barkley might give him a different draft-night urge, too.

"He's equally impressive, like the quarterbacks," Shurmur said. "When you watch his tape there isn't anything he can't do. He's really a pretty good pass protector. That's an important piece. And he can catch the football as well.

"He can do everything you're looking for in a running back, and he's a terrific human being as well."

Gettleman said he's heard that about Barkley too, though the only chance they had to meet was during a formal, 15-minute interview at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis earlier this month. Gettleman said the Giants' plan is to bring in Barkley for one of their 30 official pre-draft visits, so he can get to know him a little more.

"Shame on me if I don't know him," Gettleman said. "I think everybody said he's a great, great human being."

But is he a great enough player for the Giants to pick him at No. 2, despite their need for that "generational quarterback?" It might depend on what the Browns do first, but if Barkley is there, it's clear he'll be in the conversation when the Giants make their pick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all Gipper's dog slobbering comments and the constant bombardment from the peanut gallery- It sure as hell starts to feel like I might know some things. First Gordon, then Hogan, and now Barkley... Dawg, am I the man of the year...?

2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all Gipper's dog slobbering comments and the constant bombardment from the peanut gallery- It sure as hell starts to feel like I might know some things. First Gordon, then Hogan, and now Barkley... Dawg, am I the man of the year...?

Ya know, that's not the only thing either- I called Derek Carr, Tyrann, and a host of other guys. And you know the funny part- every single time I call for a player, I'm bashed and NEVER ONCE given the benefit of the doubt. Whatever though, it's all good- I'll continue to beat my drum and my tribe will find me. B)

18 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

then Hogan, and now Barkley... Dawg, am I the man of the year...?

You said what about Hogan?  That's he's a third string no arm lousy QB who's about to be shipped out of town?   If you said that, then you'd be correct. 

Just now, Mark O said:

You said what about Hogan?  That's he's a third string no arm lousy QB who's about to be shipped out of town?   If you said that, then you'd be correct. 

I said we should get Hogan before the draft. We did end up getting him in a round about way. He set a record against the Bengals in his very first and only game. 

He was the best QB on the roster last year in training camp, during the season he outperformed Kizer on a daily basis. I said he was the best QB on the roster and he's the ONLY QB still on the roster. So, you can say what you want.

Just because you got you had a shitty time at the game that Hogan started last year, don't take it all out on Hogan. Who were his receivers that game Mark? - that's not rhetorical. 

It absolutely kills you to have to give me credit for anything, doesn't it? Oh, first world problems...

And for the record you don't know what string QB Hogan is this season. 

I fully expect him to be right on Tyrod's heels. He's a warrior. 

27 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Ya know, that's not the only thing either- I called Derek Carr, Tyrann, and a host of other guys. And you know the funny part- every single time I call for a player, I'm bashed and NEVER ONCE given the benefit of the doubt. Whatever though, it's all good- I'll continue to beat my drum and my tribe will find me. B)

Your tribe will be unboarding their short bus with a long name right after they finish licking the windows. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Your tribe will be unboarding their short bus with a long name right after they finish licking the windows. 

Image result for Peanut Gallery Sign Image result for Peanut Gallery Sign Image result for Peanut Gallery Sign Brought to you by the Troll who farts under the covers... and likes the smell.

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Don't get your extra chromosome all in a huff, PatheticG. 

Don't you be calling me out my name dawg. Pathetic is your attempt at mocking me for calling Barkley for what he is. Pathetic is being so punch drunk for a Quarterback that you can't see the forest for the tress. Pathetic is your attempt at trolling me, without ever adding anything of substance to your own posts. 

You see, what I do is poetic. What you do is pathetic. Quite a difference it makes when you actually know what a word means.

Barkley will be the #1 pick of the draft OR he'll be the #2 pick in the draft, it all depends on how smart the Browns are going to play this.  

Just now, PoeticG said:

Barkley will be the #1 pick of the draft OR he'll be the #2 pick in the draft, it all depends on how smart the Browns are going to play this.  

Browns can't draft Barkley.

It would violate his restraining order against you to be in Cleveland. 

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Browns can't draft Barkley.

It would violate his restraining order against you to be in Cleveland. 

It's cool, I can move back to AZ if that's what it takes. ;)

Saquon is what will make this Franchise turn the corner and take it to the next level. 

1 minute ago, PoeticG said:

It's cool, I can move back to AZ if that's what it takes. ;)

Saquon is what will make this Franchise turn the corner and take it to the next level. 

Wait - you want the Browns to take Saquon Barkley, the RB from Penn State? 

Wait - you want the Browns to take Saquon Barkley, the RB from Penn State? 

#1 Overall  - 100% 

I just read that the NFL is going to change the rule that you can't strike with your helmet. Good Shmucking luck trying to bring down Barkley at all next year. Without defenses targeting his tree trunk legs, it's going to be funny as hell to see the number of defenders shitting their pants and have to actually try to tackle him. 

3 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

#1 Overall  - 100% 

I just read that the NFL is going to change the rule that you can't strike with your helmet. Good Shmucking luck trying to bring down Barkley at all next year. Without defenses targeting his tree trunk legs, it's going to be funny as hell to see the number of defenders shitting their pants and have to actually try to tackle him. 

NFL defenses are going to be "shitting their pants" trying to tackle Barkley, when NCAA defenses held him under 100 yards a game last season on the regular? 

Interesting.

NFL defenses are going to be "shitting their pants" trying to tackle Barkley, when NCAA defenses held him under 100 yards a game last season on the regular? 

Interesting.

Don't confuse pipsqueakG with facts like that...it makes his little head hurt.

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

Don't confuse pipsqueakG with facts like that...it makes his little head hurt.

Ironically PatheticG's little head hurts whenever he thinks about Barkley - all the blood rushes to it. 

He totaled 5,557 all-purpose yards in his three year collegiate career.

Nice try PG (Peanut Gallery) Fans.

3 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

He totaled 5,557 all-purpose yards in his three year collegiate career.

Nice try PG (Peanut Gallery) Fans.

Oh... Saquon... you... have... so... many... all-purpose... yards... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... 

stan dad.jpg

Saquon Barkley played in 38 games. In those 38 games he managed to pick up a total of 5,557 yards. What is his average yards per game?

- I'll just put it here for you since I don't expect a straight answer... 146 yards per game average. 

You guys are soooo.... special to me ;)

Here's your boy Sony Michel's numbers last year.... what was that you were saying about Barkley? What is that, 7 catches all year? What is that game with 2.3 yards per carry? I see at least 5 games where he didn't get 10 carries... hmm, more than one can play this little game... 

2017 Game Log Rushing Receiving
DATE OPP RESULT   ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
9/2 Appalachian State W 31-10 16 87 5.4 44 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
9/9 @Notre Dame W 20-19 13 73 5.6 17 1 1 -2 -2.0 0 0
9/16 Samford W 42-14 No statistics available.
9/23 Mississippi State W 31-3 7 32 4.6 8 0 1 3 3.0 3 0
9/30 @Tennessee W 41-0 11 64 5.8 21 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
10/7 @Vanderbilt W 45-14 12 150 12.5 50 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
10/14 Missouri W 53-28 9 86 9.6 36 2 0 0 0.0 0 0
10/28 @Florida W 42-7 6 137 22.8 74 2 0 0 0.0 0 0
11/4 South Carolina W 24-10 16 81 5.1 13 1 1 16 16.0 16 0
11/11 @Auburn L 40-17 9 21 2.3 7 0 0 0 0.0 0 0
11/18 Kentucky W 42-13 12 87 7.3 37 3 0 0 0.0 0 0
11/25 @Georgia Tech W 38-7 13 85 6.5 16 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
12/2 @Auburn W 28-7 7 45 6.4 18 0 2 38 19.0 32 0
ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY NORTHWESTERN MUTUAL - CFP SEMIFINAL
1/1 @Oklahoma W 54-48 (2OT) 11 181 16.5 75 3 4 41 10.3 17 1
CFP NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PRESENTED BY AT&T
1/8 Alabama L 26-23 (OT) 14 98 7.0 26 0 0 0 0.0 0

NFL Draft 2018 Scouting Report: Saquon Barkley is the crown jewel of this class

By Tyler Green@TylerGreenSB Mar 28, 2018, 4:14pm PDT

Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

Measurables
6’0”, 233 lbs
40-yd Dash: 4.40 seconds
Vertical Jump: 41 inches
Bench Press: 29 reps

Stats
2017: 1,271 Rushing Yards, 5.9 Yards Per Carry, 18 Touchdowns, 632 Receiving Yards
2016: 1,496 Rushing Yards, 5.5 Yards Per Carry, 18 Touchdowns, 402 Receiving Yards
2015: 1,076 Rushing Yards, 5.9 Yards Per Carry, 7 Touchdowns, 161 Receiving Yards

Awards
2017 First-Team All-American
2017 First-Team All-Big Ten
2017 Big-Ten Offensive Player of the Year
2017 No. 4 in the Heisman Trophy voting
2017 Paul Hornung Award (college football’s most versatile player)
2017 Finalist for the Maxwell Award, Doak Walker Award, Lombardi Award and Walter Camp Player of the Year Award
2016 Second-Team All-American
2016 First-Team All-Big Ten
2016 Big-Ten Offensive Player of the Year
2015 Second-Team All-Big Ten
2015 Big-Ten Offensive Freshman of the Year

Strengths
With a 6’0”, 233 lb frame and world-class speed and agility, Penn State running back Saquon Barkley looks as if he was made in a laboratory. His athleticism combined with great vision and an unreal jump cut make him one of the best running backs to come out of the draft in years.
Barkley is also a receiving threat out of the backfield which will help him be a three-down player in the NFL. His pass blocking is dependable as he squares up his feet and body to meet blitzing defenders.

Weaknesses
At times, Barkley suffers from ‘Barry Sanders syndrome’ where he tries to make something out of nothing and ends up losing substantial yards as a result. He needs to know when to simply lower his head and avoid a loss on the play.
The other popular criticism of Barkley is that he doesn’t always play to his size meaning he isn’t a physical running back. He chooses to avoid tacklers instead. As shown in his game against San Diego State, Barkley is more than capable of breaking tackles.

Verdict
From top to bottom, the 2018 NFL Draft class boasts plenty of talent, but Saquon Barkley is the crown jewel. He has the ability to be a perennial All-Pro and a potential Hall of Famer if he is placed behind even just an average offensive line. With excellent size and athleticism along with great elusiveness, the former Nittany Lion is as close to a “sure thing” prospect as the draft has to offer.

Pro Comparison
LaDainian Tomlinson

---------------------------------------------------------------
That is why he is the #1 Overall selection and the Face of the Cleveland Browns for years to come. With Barkley we'll win the Superbowl within 3 years. 

30 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Saquon Barkley played in 38 games. In those 38 games he managed to pick up a total of 5,557 yards. What is his average yards per game?

- I'll just put it here for you since I don't expect a straight answer... 146 yards per game average. 

Now Mr. G, you are starting to try and use good points, we may be friends yet even if I think you are wrong. 

When you actually use some evidence it helps your case. Like I have said from beginning, I have an issue with the extreme OVERHYPE, not the player or his ability.

BUT, for you to help your case even more you MUST explain your All purpose yards, especially when you then use some other players numbers as supporting your case.

Meaning, when you degrade Michels you, then you also have to do the same for Barkley. You also have to factor in that Barkley was the feature back, and a good one at that, while Ga had 2 high profile high draft pick backs. And 3 when you factor in the beginning of college careers with Gurley there. Again, taking nothing away from either one, but to be taken seriously you have to use the same rules.

Another point with the all purpose yards is that since Barkley was a returner, that adds a chunk to it. A bad KR average would be 20 yards.

It also hurts your case when you leave yourself NO margin of area. When you use words such as THE best, instead of one of, or 100%. It is just not true that 100% that ANYONE in this draft is certain to go 1 or 2.

Last thing I will say for now is that it will be harder now for defenders to tackle ANYONE. BUT, if you watch and know football then you know that A LOT of the initial helmet contact comes from ball carrier, which is also now illegal. So everyone will have to adjust their game.

Now, I will say one thing about Barkley. Not saying it's a TERRIBLE thing, but from a recent interview, he isn't the most humble person in the world. He isn't perfect acting like you hinted at. I know all these guys have egos, but his character doesn't seem as good as Larry Fitzgerald. While probably true, for every thing he didn't perform as good as thought at combine he had an excuse. I dont remember the other thing he said that sounded a little off, but just shows he isn't perfect.

If the Browns take him 1,4, 253 then I hope he turns out what you have said and more.

I don't mean to degrade Sony, I like the kid, he's a cool cat. I wouldn't take him over Barkley though. 

By 100% #1 Overall - I mean that "I" would have already turned in the card for him to be the first pick. 

The all purpose yards are a big thing, because he's effective from a multiple of angles, he's not one dimensional. 

The kickoff return yards... let me check it here- Barkley had a total of 19 kickoff returns in the 3 years- so not that many all told. But they did use him to spark the team here or there.. or if they needed a big return they would use Saquon then. But he had 519 yards total on those 19 kickoff returns... so he averaged 27.3 yards per return- running back 2 for TDs. 

27.3 doesn't seem like much but here's what last years NFL comparisons looked like for Kickoff return averages... it puts Saquon squarely between Patterson and Cooper for #2 in the NFL...

1 Cordarrelle Patterson Oakland Raiders WR 28.3
2 Pharoh Cooper Los Angeles Rams WR 26.3

Barkley shouldn't have been a finalist for Doak Walker. that was a complete joke. Impossible to even justify it.

Guy had 1271 yds rushing 5.9 YPC and didn't split time with anyone.... Lamar Jackson outrushed Saquon Barkley on the season in both total yds and YPC. 

Bryce Love and Rashaad Penny were hands down the 2 best RB's in the country.  Saquon isn't in the top 20 in YPC or total rushing yards... He is #6 in total yards, but guess who #1 and #2 are? Penny and Love.  Love had 2218 yds rushing at 8.1, Penny had 2248 yds at 7.8. Those are dominating runners. 

The kickoff return has pretty much been made into a complete non-factor in the NFL, and I highly doubt a team uses the RB they took high in the first round as their kickoff returner.  At least not longterm. 

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The kickoff return has pretty much been made into a complete non-factor in the NFL, and I highly doubt a team uses the RB they took high in the first round as their kickoff returner.  At least not longterm. 

I'd like to agree but we did use our first rounder Peppers in Kickoff and Punt Return last season. It all depends on what is called for. Like I said, if it's the last drive of the game and we need a score, are you going to put your fastest strongest player on the return? They could always pooch it, but that would be decent field position I guess. 

50 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I don't mean to degrade Sony, I like the kid, he's a cool cat. I wouldn't take him over Barkley though. 

By 100% #1 Overall - I mean that "I" would have already turned in the card for him to be the first pick. 

The all purpose yards are a big thing, because he's effective from a multiple of angles, he's not one dimensional. 

The kickoff return yards... let me check it here- Barkley had a total of 19 kickoff returns in the 3 years- so not that many all told. But they did use him to spark the team here or there.. or if they needed a big return they would use Saquon then. But he had 519 yards total on those 19 kickoff returns... so he averaged 27.3 yards per return- running back 2 for TDs. 

27.3 doesn't seem like much but here's what last years NFL comparisons looked like for Kickoff return averages... it puts Saquon squarely between Patterson and Cooper for #2 in the NFL...

1 Cordarrelle Patterson Oakland Raiders WR 28.3
2 Pharoh Cooper Los Angeles Rams WR 26.3

I didn't think you were TRYING to degrade him, but when you point out a negative for him, you have to use the same criteria for Barkley.

And I know you would take him, but you said 100% if he isn't taken 1 then will be 2. Which that isn't 100%.

Again, of course all the yards are important, but when you add them it increases his total, where someone else didn't have that opportunity. I am not looking up the exact numbers because they don't really matter, but you had said something like 3300 all purpose yards in career. So let's say he averages 8 yards per play. That is 412 touches. So take out the 19 for 519, that leaves 393 for 2781 which is a full yard less, which is a difference to change.

And while the 27.3 would be #2, you can't just plug in a number and expect it to continue in pros.

None of that is to say Barkley won't be a good player, just goes to show that a stat can be used depending on how you want to look at it. Just like you can point out the 2 TD's against Ohio State, someone else can point out the poor ypc, and both are right, just depends how they are interpreted.

40 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I didn't think you were TRYING to degrade him, but when you point out a negative for him, you have to use the same criteria for Barkley.

And I know you would take him, but you said 100% if he isn't taken 1 then will be 2. Which that isn't 100%.

Again, of course all the yards are important, but when you add them it increases his total, where someone else didn't have that opportunity. I am not looking up the exact numbers because they don't really matter, but you had said something like 3300 all purpose yards in career. So let's say he averages 8 yards per play. That is 412 touches. So take out the 19 for 519, that leaves 393 for 2781 which is a full yard less, which is a difference to change.

And while the 27.3 would be #2, you can't just plug in a number and expect it to continue in pros.

None of that is to say Barkley won't be a good player, just goes to show that a stat can be used depending on how you want to look at it. Just like you can point out the 2 TD's against Ohio State, someone else can point out the poor ypc, and both are right, just depends how they are interpreted.

^that was one of the major points I had tried to make in the response that I ended up losing, how each of us interprets the stats and how they can be seen in different ways depending on the angle you view them from. Great job G! 

Archived