THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Roach- I don't know what Super Bowl you just watched- but the Seahawks won that game with a stellar defense and a third round quarterback calling the shots. They probably would have won that game with Brandon Weeden at quarterback, certainly with Hoyer. You don't win games when the other team forces 4 turnovers.

Wheezy? LOL, you know I'm with you on the D-thing, h, but ya gotta keep it real...

Defense set the tone to be sure, but as I wrote in Z's SB edition of "This Week...":

• as I watched Wilson throwing quick slants from the pocket I thought of Hoyer, but...
  • as I watched Wilson rolling left and throwing strikes downfield, I thought of Manziel, but...
  • as I watched Wilson smartly running to the safety of the sidelines for positive yardage, while I really thought of neither, I especially did not think of Manziel.

I think Manziel can be as good as Wilson, but I am not convinced he will be. Mostly because he is currently not the smart runner that Wilson is.

At least Hoyer had the self-preservation instinct... he was just a bit short on the execution. Hopefully he'll have another chance to execute better in 2014.

HOLY THREAD MERGER BATMAN!

and he did very little QB-wise to put up the points seattle did. yes he moved the chains when needed to, but the special teams and WR efforts (kearse and harvin) far outdid anything wilson did. a QB passing league?

"Far outdid"? C'mon man... Making it tough to support you, mik, with hyperbolic statements like that.

Manning had a very strong arm before his surgery.

You can be successful in the NFL without a rocket if you do all the things you mentioned and you have amazing accuracy, like Joe Montana or the Bronco Manning.

But why are we discussing accuracy versus velocity instead of discussing the prospects that have both?

Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles and Carr all have major league arms, right? And they've shown good accuracy. There's four guys better than Janine ... and we have the fourth pick. So, we're going to pass on a QB, grab a wr or de or something, and then settle for a prospect that is not as highly regarded? We're talking about Quarterback here ... get the best prospect and don't look back. If he doesn't work out, oh well, you tried ... maybe we'll get lucky and Hoyer or a 5th round pick will be the guy ... but if we don't try for the best, we're stupid.

Zombo

I was in line in the Las Vegas Airport once right behind Janeane (not Janine).

Janeane%20Garofalo%2027,%20cropped.jpg

Wheezy? LOL, you know I'm with you on the D-thing, h, but ya gotta keep it real...

Defense set the tone to be sure, but as I wrote in Z's SB edition of "This Week...":

• as I watched Wilson throwing quick slants from the pocket I thought of Hoyer, but...
  • as I watched Wilson rolling left and throwing strikes downfield, I thought of Manziel, but...
  • as I watched Wilson smartly running to the safety of the sidelines for positive yardage, while I really thought of neither, I especially did not think of Manziel.
I think Manziel can be as good as Wilson, but I am not convinced he will be. Mostly because he is currently not the smart runner that Wilson is.

At least Hoyer had the self-preservation instinct... he was just a bit short on the execution. Hopefully he'll have another chance to execute better in 2014.

So most of your concern with Manziel is him avoiding contact? Would you rather try teaching a QB instincts, focus, accuracy, and pocket presence. .....or teach a guy to get all u can before getting down, or out of bounds?

As I watched Wilson smartly running to the safety of the sidelines for positive yardage, I think of Hoyer's torn ACL.

So most of your concern with Manziel is him avoiding contact? Would you rather try teaching a QB instincts, focus, accuracy, and pocket presence. .....or teach a guy to get all u can before getting down, or out of bounds?

If you'd been paying attention for the past couple months (at least). then you'd know the answer to your opening question is "yes".

Your second question is non-sensible. Why? Because if you'd watched Manziel as much as I have, then you'd know that he is too competitive for "self preservation" first and always. Sure.. if he is up 20+ in the 4th he'll reel it in, but in a close game he'll cut in back to the middle in the time it will take your heart to exit your chest and enter your throat.

Are there times when a QB should lay it on the proverbial line? damn the torpedoes and go full steam ahead? dive to reach the endzone and get helicoptered? Hell, yes... but only in a must score SB possession, not in Q2 of the home opener when you're ahead 10-3...

if the Cleveland Browns had the Seahawks defense Brandon Weeden would have been playing in the Super Bowl.

WSS

Bullshit, Steve... The cardinal QB rule when a D is as strong as Seattle's is to first do no harm. Something Wheezy is incapable of ...

if the Cleveland Browns had the Seahawks defense Brandon Weeden would have been playing in the Super Bowl.

WSS

Ummm ... no.

Unless you mean like Tavaris Jackson played in the Super Bowl.

Zombo

"Far outdid"? C'mon man... Making it tough to support you, mik, with hyperbolic statements like that.

i kinda over-reacted last nite and aimed a lot of shit towards the gotta get manziel @4, need QB @4 crowd.

don't get me wrong, wilson played a great game, except for a couple of flub passes in the first minutes of the game due to nerves. he ran when he HAD to. i recall only one called QB run/read option play all night. he threw some sideline darts to extend drives and he hit receivers in the numbers.

what i was trying to say was the defense accounted for more points either scoring themselves or securing TOs. the percy harvin KO return sealed the deal. and the 15 yard catch (?) by kearse where it seemed like everyone in the broncos secondary had a shot at the guy and he bounced and spinned off everyone of them to make into the end zone was my favorite play of the game.

It's very different playing QB for the best 'DEFENSE' in the NFL than the Cleveland Browns.

You don't have to force anything in Seattle. They usually also play ahead with one of the best running games.

If we bring Johnny here, he's destined for failure. There's no defense. There's no running game.

It's very different playing QB for the best 'DEFENSE' in the NFL than the Cleveland Browns.

You don't have to force anything in Seattle. They usually also play ahead with one of the best running games.

If we bring Johnny here, he's destined for failure. There's no defense. There's no running game.

Running game, I agree. But defense... I think you're way off-base.

We finished in the top 10 this year. I've said it a million times, though, that means nothing. The rankings are overhyped and are based off Yds/GM., which isn't a true representation. With that said, we have all of the same key pieces Seattle has on defense, minus a ballhawk safety and #2 CB.

With the right coordinator, not that piece of shit Horton, this defensive squad can be very good.

Running game, I agree. But defense... I think you're way off-base.

We finished in the top 10 this year. I've said it a million times, though, that means nothing. The rankings are overhyped and are based off Yds/GM., which isn't a true representation. With that said, we have all of the same key pieces Seattle has on defense, minus a ballhawk safety and #2 CB.

With the right coordinator, not that piece of shit Horton, this defensive squad can be very good.

I think our defense is close to elite from a talent standpoint. With the right guy to get it out of them we could be amazing. I do think we need to add a good ILB and definitely another good DB.

I think our defense is close to elite from a talent standpoint. With the right guy to get it out of them we could be amazing. I do think we need to add a good ILB and definitely another good DB.

Let's stop with this elite defense talk.

This defense is not elite. It's good and that's it. Seattle is elite. The 2000 Ravens are elite. You want close to 'elite'...the 49ers are close to Elite.

Folks throw around the word 'elite' like it's nothing.

Let's stop with this elite defense talk.

This defense is not elite. It's good and that's it. Seattle is elite. The 2000 Ravens are elite. You want close to 'elite'...the 49ers are close to Elite.

Folks throw around the word 'elite' like it's nothing.

We have the same talent level of players, according to their average draft position. It's not like we're fielding a talent deprived defense. We've invested the picks and the money, we just need a piece or two...one of them being the right coach.

It's not outside the realm of possibilty.

definitely not elite but i would upgrade good to very good.

no one will listens, but i've been screaming for a #2 CB for years while everyone shouted back at me that skrine 'was doing a good job'. uh, yeah.

we need a 6'2-3" bruiser, with jets. maybe a converted WR? i also got shot down when saying we should have added avril instead of krueger whose stats were blown up cuz the ravens only used him on 3rd downs.

that's why i keep explaining the fact that we are 2-3 impact players on defense to become 'elite' why not draft that with our 2, 3 and 4 picks? leaving our first for whatever fiendish plans dumbtardi has in the works (unless of course pettine steers him the right direction from the get-go).

Elite? Our D? No....

People have been saying we were close to Elite for two years and counting...

As a 3-4 I think we were good... but our LBs were too weak to move higher.

As a 4-3 I think we can make the next step to very good with the current roster. Then we might finally be only a player or two away from "elite".

no one will listens, but i've been screaming for a #2 CB for years while everyone shouted back at me that skrine 'was doing a good job'. uh, yeah.

we need a 6'2-3" bruiser, with jets. maybe a converted WR? i also got shot down when saying we should have added avril instead of krueger whose stats were blown up cuz the ravens only used him on 3rd downs.

that's why i keep explaining the fact that we are 2-3 impact players on defense to become 'elite' why not draft that with our 2, 3 and 4 picks? leaving our first for whatever fiendish plans dumbtardi has in the works (unless of course pettine steers him the right direction from the get-go).

I think skrine had a very good year. He'll have a much better year next year if we get a #2 and make him the nickel corner.

We could definitely use more height.

You are absolutely correct on the Kruger talk. I laughed out loud when the Browns rushed to sign him to all that goobs of money. Kruger was a 3rd down guy who benefited from other standout defensive players on his team. He was so overpaid and only y abut 15 plays in the Super Bowl.

This is the one of the most accurate scouting reports I've read on Manziel. I agree with almost everything, and I also believe he looks more like a 3rd - 5th round quarterback than a 1st round pick. His biggest weakness is described well in the "Pocket Poise" section of this report. I honestly believe he may flash in the NFL early on purely due to his athleticism, but he does not, in my opinion, have the skills necessary to become a franchise QB...

Archived