THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

>>What Front Office- short of a bunch of Retards- OK the Stooges just might be Retards- announces their interest in a player before the combine, & before team & individual workouts?>>

A Front Office that has a 'front runner' before starting a search for Head Coach??

What if their 'front runner' isn't interested?

I've been away from this board - and, in turn, not close to the Browns - for some time. I am struck by the vitriol toward the Front Office. I'm not saying it's not justified, just that life long and rabid Browns fans are REALLY unhappy. Used to be, "Blue Skies Ahead". Now it's anything but.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I think about it- just where is this "rumor" coming from? Source please.Yeah, and there was another rumor floating around they weren't interested in interviewing college coaches. BTW, Stoops hasn't exactly said he wouldn't be interested in coaching the Browns. What Front Office- short of a bunch of Retards- OK the Stooges just might be Retards- announces their interest in a player before the combine, & before team & individual workouts? Really?

If they['re doing due diligence on a coach, they sure as hell better take a look at all the top qb prospects.

Ive heard rumors in the past, namely during the weather delay of the Seahawks-49ers game way back in September about the Browns scouting Manziel heavily. And im pretty sure Stoops said he wanted to stay at Oklahoma. That honestly would have been a tougher snag than Chip Kelly.

Gus Malzahn and Johnny Manziel together would be bantardo's best bet to keep their jobs..

I would love to see this happen but it wont..

Instead we will remain unhappily in 4th place in the AFCN due to poor drafting and kneejerk hiring/firing practices..

http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/report-browns-very-high-on-johnny-manziel-011214

Johnny Manziel may not have to wait long to have his name called in the 2014 NFL Draft on May 8. According to CBS Sports, the Cleveland Browns, who have the fourth overall pick, are "very high" on the Texas A&M quarterback.

Along hopes of bringing Manziel to Cleveland, the Browns also reportedly have current Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn on their wish list if they are able to convince him to leave the Tigers after their BCS National Championship appearance.

The Browns feel Malzahn would be the best fit for Manziel to create their own dynamic offense the same as Auburn used to turnaround their program this past season.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I have been up and down on my feelings towards Manziel. After seeing the Maurice Clarett movie, my feelings towards the NCAA vs the athletes really changed. I feel that he was unfairly turned into a bad guy. Irregardless, I am now on the Manziel wagon, especially after seeing his passion in the Chick Fil a bowl. You could see him willing his team to victory and knew the game was over even when A&M was down by 2 touchdowns. The guy might be cocky, he might be a party boy, but i think he will be motivated and wanting to be a legend in the NFL. I think he is the answer and I sure hope Houston or Jacksonville dont think the same thing.

And if we got Malzahn that would salvage this mess of a coaching search. Even worse than last year. The Browns FO is about to lose a lot of this fanbase if they come out flat in this coaching search/offseason building.

I stopped reading after "irregardless". I'd be fine with Manziel but don't want to trade up for him. He is a playmaker but is an injury waiting to happen. Either way it goes down I'm fine.

A Front Office that has a 'front runner' before starting a search for Head Coach??

What if their 'front runner' isn't interested?

I've been away from this board - and, in turn, not close to the Browns - for some time. I am struck by the vitriol toward the Front Office. I'm not saying it's not justified, just that life long and rabid Browns fans are REALLY unhappy. Used to be, "Blue Skies Ahead". Now it's anything but.

You can only get beaten down and run over by a semi so many times before you have two options 1) walk away from the whole pathetic stinking mess, or 2) Get hostile and cynical. Haslam even alluded to option #2 in his post fire Chud presser. Yup, what if they're dying to get Manziel, Tooo bad they don't draft first, and what if someone ahead of them takes him? I'm not listening to the Stooges spin, but what the National media is saying- if they look like they're incompetent- they probably are. Eagles fans are less than impressed with Banner, and Lombardi is such a FO genius he was cooling his heels on NFLN for years. Bad hires result in bad decisions.

Lombardi's first draft was less than stellar, and some of the cuts and pick ups were questionable. I have ZERO confidence he will fare much better in 2014 with a boatload of selections.

Can I add Haslam is starting to look like a Jerry Jones wannabe? Situations can make a liar out of you- but Haslam has put out a line of BS to the fans that's pretty easy to document. "Continuity" so let's fire a coach after one year. "proven winner" I suppose all those coordinators you're stuck with interviewing were the major reaons the Broncos and Seahawks are winning "sustainable success"- when you're obviously putting all your eggs in the 2014 draft basket. Riiiiiight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to say it, but how many successfully NFL QB are there below 6 feet?

Russell Wilson isn't even a pro bowler. If Russell Wilson is the highest he can get, that's just a waste of a pick at 4.

are there, or have there been? Not many in either case, but there also havent been many if any that have had Manziels combination of good throwing ability and elite athleticism and quickness. I think he'll be much better than Wilson is now, and I think Wilson will get better also.

Hate to say it, but how many successfully NFL QB are there below 6 feet?

Russell Wilson isn't even a pro bowler. If Russell Wilson is the highest he can get, that's just a waste of a pick at 4.

Wow, so much wrong with this.

Let's start by saying that Russell Wilson has been named a Pro Bowler both years he has been in the league (had other obligations this year).

And Johnny Manziel is not under six feet.

Other than that, I think you really drove home your point.

Zombo

Just to be clear ... this what we Don't want at #4 from a QB, is that what you are saying?

wilson_zps05316c45.jpg

Regarding the original CBS report, Haslam pretty much debunked it at the Pettine hiring presser. Hey today, all you need is a computer and maybe a blog to start big time rumors. The only truth of the matter is the Browns have scouted Manziel extensively. Said Jimmy H, "we'll spent thousands of hours evaluating before we make a decision". I'll believe that to be true, considering the amount of time they spent looking for a new coach. Huge difference in liking what you see, and locking in on a particular player this early.

Really guys- that rumor was so far-fetched, in my own mind I immediately discredited it. The Browns have to at least seriously evaluate (besides Johnny Football) Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr, Garrapolo, Metlenberger, and Boyd. Probably Watkins and Clowney too, or anyone who has a realistic shot of going in the first round. That means seeing what they do at the combine (f they show up) multiple private interviews, pro days, and private workouts.

What if Johnny Football interviews as Johnny A-hole, and turns everyone off? Hmmmmm?

Regarding the original CBS report, Haslam pretty much debunked it at the Pettine hiring presser. Hey today, all you need is a computer and maybe a blog to start big time rumors. The only truth of the matter is the Browns have scouted Manziel extensively. Said Jimmy H, "we'll spent thousands of hours evaluating before we make a decision". I'll believe that to be true, considering the amount of time they spent looking for a new coach. Huge difference in liking what you see, and locking in on a particular player this early.

Really guys- that rumor was so far-fetched, in my own mind I immediately discredited it. The Browns have to at least seriously evaluate (besides Johnny Football) Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr, Garrapolo, Metlenberger, and Boyd. Probably Watkins and Clowney too, or anyone who has a realistic shot of going in the first round. That means seeing what they do at the combine (f they show up) multiple private interviews, pro days, and private workouts.

What if Johnny Football interviews as Johnny A-hole, and turns everyone off? Hmmmmm?

or what if he pulls a Leaf and doesnt even show up to interview with us? And if the report was true, and it came from one of the stooges, then it means we have no interest in Manziel.

Just to be clear ... this what we Don't want at #4 from a QB, is that what you are saying?

wilson_zps05316c45.jpg

Yeah, we don't need that guy!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have Weeden

Hoorta's anti-Johnny bias is laid on so thick, that I've actually had to stop reading his posts about quarterbacks for a while.

He's like bizarro POG when it comes to a player.

I don't give a shit who we get as long as his talents mesh with the system in place. Judging by Pettine's comments, it seems likely that we'll be drafting "BPA by position" and not by scheme. Meaning we're going to take the best QB available, no matter what scheme he fits, and adjust accordingly. Whoever is available at #4, be it Bortles or Manziel, will be our next QB.

That's something I can get behind, personally.

dude you get behind so many guys it's not funny, all lathered up and shit.

all this homo for a QB shit will change by may, and if pettine has anything to say about our draft choices good luck in seeing anyone of your fag favorites @4. more like clowney or mathews.

Judging by Pettine's comments, it seems likely that we'll be drafting "BPA by position" and not by scheme. Meaning we're going to take the best QB available, no matter what scheme he fits, and adjust accordingly.

Link?

Hoorta's anti-Johnny bias is laid on so thick, that I've actually had to stop reading his posts about quarterbacks for a while.

He's like bizarro POG when it comes to a player.

I don't give a shit who we get as long as his talents mesh with the system in place. Judging by Pettine's comments, it seems likely that we'll be drafting "BPA by position" and not by scheme. Meaning we're going to take the best QB available, no matter what scheme he fits, and adjust accordingly. Whoever is available at #4, be it Bortles or Manziel, will be our next QB.

Sorry if you can't stand me debunking a bullshit internet rumor. I would have done the same if (Insert Bortles or Bridgewater) in that horse crap instead of Manziel. Yup, if anyone else high on the list doesn't interview well, scratch them off too. Happy now?

What I'm really tired of is all this premature Manziel love. There's more spew on this board about him than all the other potential qb draftees combined.

“We’re going to spend thousands of hours researching whether to pick a quarterback in the draft or NOT,” Haslam said Clear enough? Really TC, spend more time researching other qbs than bitching about me bitching about Johnny Football. I've already seen enough of Bridgewater & Bortles to say I'd take either of them over Football in a heartbeat. Carr I'm not so certain about, so back off .

And if they have a non-qb rated higher, you going to start whining?

Link?

It's all in his introductory press conference.

"I’ve always been of the mindset that you never fit your players to your system; you fit your system to your players. So again, once we hit the ground running and get the staff hired, the first task will be to evaluate the roster from top to bottom and see what we have here, what we do well, maybe what holes we need to fill"

"[W]hen you prioritize the positions of the National Football League, there’s the quarterback and then there’s about 10 open spots, and then you start talking about the next open position. It would be foolish, even being a defensive guy, to ignore that issue."

"To win in this league you have to have a great quarterback and that’s something we’re going to put our full focus and attention on.”"

From the mouth of babes.

Sorry if you can't stand me debunking a bullshit internet rumor. I would have done the same if (Insert Bortles or Bridgewater) in that horse crap instead of Manziel. Yup, if anyone else high on the list doesn't interview well, scratch them off too. Happy now?

What I'm really tired of is all this premature Manziel love. There's more spew on this board about him than all the other potential qb draftees combined.

“We’re going to spend thousands of hours researching whether to pick a quarterback in the draft or not,” Haslam said Clear enough?

And if they have a non-qb rated higher, you going to start whining?

Probably, because that is a dumb decision. I trust this scouting department about as far as I can throw them, which is to say, not far.

Clowney won't turn this four win team into an eight win team. Neither will Watkins. Teams with a glaring hole at QB like the Browns currently have don't add a positional player and magically turn things around a year later, it just doesn't happen.

As I've been saying all year, I'm a big fan of Bortles. Moreso than Manziel. I just want to see a fair and rational argument debunking Manziel, not the same bullshit everybody throws around: "Oh, he's a dick and I don't want his weasel face on my team." You say that you're against the premature Manziel love, yet you're spewing premature Manziel hate just as often. Same story, just opposite ends of the spectrum.

Interviews don't win football games. Players do. I couldn't care less about how Manziel or Bortles or Bridgewater interviews. I don't care if they can barely form sentences. I don't care if they grab Suzy Kolber's titties, yelp, and go climb a tree. If they can play, and win, then that should be all that matters.

We have three different quarterbacks with three different physical attributes and three different styles of play that will probably all go in the top five. It's not going to be a brain buster pick. We need to take the one that grades out highest according to the style of play that our HC and OC envision the team running. That's it.

If we're going to run a Pro-style, PA pass predicated system, take Bortles. If we're going to run a spread based read option, take Manziel. That's what it should come down to.

Personally, I'd rather see us take Bortles for a multitude of a reasons, but that is neither here nor there.

It isn't hate to not jump on the media hype bandwagon this early.

And every qb in this draft is no Luck.

So you'd take Manziel at 4? I wouldn't.

I'd be happier taking a blue chip difference making stud at 4, and drafting

a Garoppolo a few? picks later. In fact, you may have to trade up to the top

pick in the second round to get hiim, and maybe a late first round pick

might nab him, as some team really doesn't need much, except another really

smart, accurate, super quick release qb to their roster.

It's early. I'll be all in on Manziel if he makes a believer out of the scouts and coaches

at the comine.

Showboating/improvising doesn't necessarily help a young rookie qb to be coachable

when he steps up into the NFL. Some of us just aren't sold on Manziel. That's all.

I wonder how many Ryan Leaf fans there were back in the day, "all in" on his talent....

I've said it so many times. I have no stance... It's January. I just think it's way too early to be so adamant, and that some of the reasons people are using are a little absurd. Tis all, good sir.

Fair enough... still awaiting your breakdowns.

It's all in his introductory press conference.

"[W]hen you prioritize the positions of the National Football League, there’s the quarterback and then there’s about 10 open spots, and then you start talking about the next open position. It would be foolish, even being a defensive guy, to ignore that issue."

"To win in this league you have to have a great quarterback and that’s something we’re going to put our full focus and attention on.”"

Thanks. I remembered all the bits. They just did not coalesce in my mind the way you originally summarized them... and they still do not.

Nothing in the quotes says they are going to draft a QB at #4.

Nothing says they are even going to draft their "great QB" vs. trading for or signing him.

Nothing in the quotes says they are going to let the percieved need for a QB influence their analysis of the QBs that are available.

But in fairness, nothing says they won't...

Clowney won't turn this four win team into an eight win team. Neither will Watkins. Teams with a glaring hole at QB like the Browns currently have don't add a positional player and magically turn things around a year later, it just doesn't happen.

No one player is going to be added to the exclusion of all others, so that's no basis for an argument.

That a great QB has more impact tham adding a great WR is not the argument.

That Watkins will not be a great WR is not an argument I have heard.

That any of the top QB prospects have shortcomings (pun unintended) that may prevent their greatness is in arguments against each that I have read.

You apparently love the path to 8 wins with Bortles, but would settle for liking the Manziel path, presumably with a WR added later in the draft.

I love my path with Hoyer and Watkins.

I just want to see a fair and rational argument debunking Manziel, not the same bullshit everybody throws around: "Oh, he's a dick and I don't want his weasel face on my team."

Which has never been my argument not that of several others. Unless it's in a thread I've yet to read this morning, I'm still awaiting your reasoned counter to my injury potential rationale.

"I’ve always been of the mindset that you never fit your players to your system; you fit your system to your players."

We have three different quarterbacks with three different physical attributes and three different styles of play that will probably all go in the top five. It's not going to be a brain buster pick. We need to take the one that grades out highest according to the style of play that our HC and OC envision the team running. That's it.

If we're going to run a Pro-style, PA pass predicated system, take Bortles. If we're going to run a spread based read option, take Manziel. That's what it should come down to.

Not sure how you square your analysis with Pettine's words.

"If we're going to run a Pro-style, PA pass predicated system, take Bortles. If we're going to run a spread based read option, take Manziel. That's what it should come down to."

You DO NOT need a Manziel type player to run a read option offense.

There's this kid who was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft who finally got a chance to start this season.

He's doesn't run like Vick

Does not have impressive stats like Manziel coming out of college

Stands at 6'5"

Has a good NFL arm

Named to his first Pro-Bowl and finished as the Pro-Bowl MVP

In 11 starts this season:

2,800 yards

64% completion

27 TD passes w/ 2 INT

230 rushing yards and 3 rushing TD

We can conclude that this kid have a bright future ahead of him. I would take him over Cam, Kaep and Wilson any day.

Archived