THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

This is the one of the most accurate scouting reports I've read on Manziel. I agree with almost everything,

Well, if you agree with it....it must be wrong!! :D

(or right)

and I also believe he looks more like a 3rd - 5th round quarterback than a 1st round pick. His biggest weakness is described well in the "Pocket Poise" section of this report. I honestly believe he may flash in the NFL early on purely due to his athleticism, but he does not, in my opinion, have the skills necessary to become a franchise QB...

Question: What does Johnny got that Colt McCoy ain't got? If there is an analogy, I think it may be there.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only report I care about is if he got better every year in area's of weakness. And he's done that better than anybody. He's got all the tools, and his sharpest one is his desire to be great.

None of that means he can succeed in the NFL just as they don't mean he can't. I don't even close to see him as the top QB prospect

Flutie is probably a better comparison to Manziel in terms of what he does on the field, but the legend of Doug Flutie far surpasses the reality. Flutie bounced around the league early in his first three years, before spending a decade in Canada in the CFL, and then returning to the NFL for an eight year run that really only saw him play heavily in three or four seasons.

I agree with it, too. Flutie? heh...who was it that brought up Doug Flutie a couple of days ago...@@
I don't dislike the kid, but like it's been said by a lot of NFL players - you get to the NFL, and everybody was great in college.
That's a different deal, and Manziel's style of play doesn't necessarily translate into doing the same in the pros.

I agree with this evaluation, I have no idea how "experts" can look at Manziel and see him at #1 overall.

I'm willing to look past his height, injury, and character concerns, but like the scouting report said, if his first option isn't open he just starts scrambling around until he finds a guy open, and that's something I'm not willing to overlook.

I really doubt the scrambling and prayer chucking will serve him well in the NFL

Wow... a third round rating...

Excellent breakdown, Albright is a good evaluator.

Some of the things he said, not the injury risk, are why I lowered my opinion of him.

If he's so good, how'd he miss the injury angle? ;)

I see Manziel as a risky 2nd rounder, but a solid late 3rd - 4th round pick. He's worth the pick to sit on the bench and develop, knowing he may never be a good starter. My guess is he will be the next college QB to slide down in the draft, and the next guy we'll be watching in-and-out of the "green room" in New York on draft day. Unless he shows something to the contrary before May, I've watched enough game tape on him to know I don't want him at #4 or #26...

I see Manziel as a risky 2nd rounder, but a solid late 3rd - 4th round pick. He's worth the pick to sit on the bench and develop, knowing he may never be a good starter. My guess is he will be the next college QB to slide down in the draft, and the next guy we'll be watching in-and-out of the "green room" in New York on draft day. Unless he shows something to the contrary before May, I've watched enough game tape on him to know I don't want him at #4 or #26...

You're crazy if you think he won't go in the first round.

Excellent breakdown, Albright is a good evaluator.

Some of the things he said, not the injury risk, are why I lowered my opinion of him. I still think he could be successful, it depends on a lot of different factors.

:) :) Mike that analysis is pretty much exactly what I've seen out of Johnny Football, and why I have serious concerns if his style of play will translate well to the NFL. I didn't know about the left-right accuracy issues, but you can bet every NFL Defensive Coordinator is going to take away his ability to roll right whenever possible, and see if he can cut it. That's why I'd take Bridgewater in a heartbeat over JF. Bridgewater is mobile, but only runs when he has to, & doesn't take off when his first read is covered. Goes through his progressions 5X better too. I think it was Todd McShay who said "sooner or later Manziel is going to have to learn how to be a pocket passer". The question is, can he?

You're crazy if you think he won't go in the first round.

Oh, I wouldn't doubt some team is going to buy into the hype and draft him way earlier than the scouting reports would warrant. Shades of Tim Tebow.

I know Greg Cosell is a TV guy, but I agree with his quotes in this article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325471/article/analyst-johnny-manziel-looked-almost-undraftable-late-in-13

More than the Manziel critique, there was this overall comment...

"Cosell said he doesn't believe any of the top quarterbacks in the 2014 draft, Manziel included, stand out as the type of passer who would stand out as a surefire top-10 pick in most drafts."

Clearly this guy knows his stuff...

Oh, I wouldn't doubt some team is going to buy into the hype and draft him way earlier than the scouting reports would warrant. Shades of Tim Tebow.

Yup... difference between evaluation and hype...

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he says. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." -Johnny Manziel

I wouldn't take a guy with any other attitude, although still not sold on Manziel.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he says. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." -Johnny Manziel

how could you not love everything about that kid

I agree with this evaluation, I have no idea how "experts" can look at Manziel and see him at #1 overall.

I'm willing to look past his height, injury, and character concerns, but like the scouting report said, if his first option isn't open he just starts scrambling around until he finds a guy open, and that's something I'm not willing to overlook.

I really doubt the scrambling and prayer chucking will serve him well in the NFL

Nothing further from the truth. When he has time to stand in the pocket he finds his second and third reads as well as any other player in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325869/article/johnny-manziel-wants-to-play-for-home-state-texans Sure, that's if the Texans don't take me #1 overall- Waaaahhhhh, waaahhhhh. I hope you fall out of the first round.

how could you not love everything about that kid

Um, his skill set for starters? His overly cocky attitude for seconds?

I dunno, Greg Cosell said on Cowturd this morning the same thing about Manziel, saying that sometimes he starts scrambling and tryingbto make plays when his first and second option are open. That shit won't play in the NFL.

He also mentioned a received from Ole Miss that looks great on film .... Is he on anyone's radar?

As if Teddy Twatwater would say " nope

.. I think I could get Cleveland to the second round of the playoffs, and that's about it."

Z

As if Teddy Twatwater would say " nope

.. I think I could get Cleveland to the second round of the playoffs, and that's about it."

Z

How about I'm going to try and be the best player I can be in the NFL, not I'm going to be the next freaking Joe Namath\ Joe Montana instead? BTW Johnny Football the way you scramble you'll have Joe Willey's knees in the NFL in no time.

I said nothing other than a quote from Manziel lmao.

I've said multiple times I prefer Bridgewater.

Great, we're on the same page. :)

I dunno, Greg Cosell said on Cowturd this morning the same thing about Manziel, saying that sometimes he starts scrambling and tryingbto make plays when his first and second option are open. That shit won't play in the NFL.

He also mentioned a received from Ole Miss that looks great on film .... Is he on anyone's radar?

I dont see it, he runs when his line forgets to block or its a designed run play......its what his offense ask's him to do.

You can see numerous times though out games were he stands with great poise in the pocket and he goes thru his reads and makes the throws on time.

god can all you douchebags get off this kid's dick.

everyone of these 'so-called' franchise QBs is HIGHLY over-rated and i'm not the first to say it. it's amazing how people want their teams to sell their soul for the next trent richardson.

i would trade out of the 4th spot soooo fast if clowney or the tackle aren't there.

bridgewater is a stick who'll get snapped just like manziel just like rg3 and neither has his size. the AFCN isn't for little ballerinas.

i'm telling you don't be surprised with pettine (DC) and farmer (played D) looking to drop down a spot or 2 if they don't get clowney and bag the best WR in evans or LB in Barr and add another pick.

just sayin.

Sign the kid right now... I don't care. We haven't had those kind of balls at QB in a long time.

ok. tell haslam to get on the phone right now and sign him. lol.

but don't forget we've got a new GM that isn't sweating this kid's jock.

i'm sure david/derek carr has a pair of balls too. maybe we should sign them all so we have a team of guys with balls. just make sure they're not queer.

you're funny.

Archived