THE BROWNS BOARD

Gregg Williams interim head coach

Opal312

14 hours ago, Tacosman said:

lmao....you guys are almost as delusional as Williams himself:

https://deadspin.com/gregg-williams-is-really-gonna-stick-with-this-everyon-1830161405

Reading comprehension and math must be a struggle for you. Most of the posters have said if he wins a large sum of games, he could win the job. “If”. No one is inferring he will. Williams working out would be shocking.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Tacosman said:

heck yes....some SMASHMOUTH football.  The hell with the sean mcvays of the world....they don't know jack.  We need to line up and make TJ(tom jackson for you young ones) proud....pound the rock and stop the run.  Lets party like it's 1983....

Yes that person definitely inferred that the Browns run the football like an 80s college team...

Are you Ghoulie’s female alt? Because you seem to read more into things than what is actually there.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:08 AM, jiggins7919 said:

I don't think you could've said it any better.  We all see the rough and gruff side of Gregg from things like Hard Knocks and whatever else, but apparently he's not to be fair to his players and a coach that earns their respect.  One thing the players like (per Browns Daily) is Gregg isn't above calling out his own mistakes, and he encourages his players to voice their opinions.  He's kind of an "old school" type of guy, and there's a small chance he's exactly what they need to get back to competitive.  

Also, Gregg doesn't give a hoot about the offense.  That means we could bring in whoever we wanted and run whichever style of offense we think would best suit Baker.  I wouldn't BET on Gregg coming back as head coach, but I could think of worse things.  Especially if we somehow find the right offensive mind to help our stagnant point production. I also find it appealing to bring back the same defensive coordinator for another year.  From what I understand, Gregg was instrumental in drafting Ward and acquiring more DB's.  Dorsey, to his credit, listened and made it happen.  We don't have the "be all, end all" secondary, but we're also dealing with some injuries, and those poor bastards are on the field so darn much.  

Well Williams did a little name dropping of the top defensive guys he's worked with Buddy Ryan, D-ick LeBeau, Wade Phillips. I like his idea that he fits his schemes to the talent he has. We've bitched about him playing Peppers in a different area code in the past, but looks like Gregg had his reasons. Yeah, that one Steeler TD was a blown assignment, Ward thought he had safety help, and whoever it was- was asleep.   

That said, you listen to his press conferences since he's been promoted- and seeing him on Hard Knocks, it's obvious he's 180 degrees different (and comes off as way more intelligent) from- as I think we should start calling him "the departed coach who must not be named".  

15 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Reading comprehension and math must be a struggle for you. Most of the posters have said if he wins a large sum of games, he could win the job. “If”. No one is inferring he will. Williams working out would be shocking.

not at all. If he goes 6-2 he still has no shot at the job.  none.

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

That said, you listen to his press conferences since he's been promoted- and seeing him on Hard Knocks, it's obvious he's 180 degrees different (and comes off as way more intelligent) from- as I think we should start calling him "the departed coach who must not be named".  

I'm sorry, but I can't get over the fact that he tried to drop that line of cowpoop about how four NFL teams told him all he had to do is say "yes" to them and the head coach job was his without even a formal interview, but he didn't even bother because he wanted to be the Browns DC. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm sorry, but I can't get over the fact that he tried to drop that line of cowpoop about how four NFL teams told him all he had to do is say "yes" to them and the head coach job was his without even a formal interview, but he didn't even bother because he wanted to be the Browns DC. 

Yeah, I got that. Let's not forget he got non renewed with the Rams- why he's in Cleveland in the first place....  

On 10/30/2018 at 7:00 PM, Tacosman said:

Williams is not coaching to be the browns HC in 2018.

This just in.  It is 2018 and Williams is the Head Coach.

This team has shown us they can compete with anyone for at least 4 quarters THIS YEAR.  I think we can all agree that the 1 Unit ruled with a "LET'S PHUCKIN HUNT" mentality made it possible to be in ideal positions to beat NYJ, Baltimore, Pitt, NO, TB.  No coddling or plastic fanny pats required. The biggest times they struggled were when the offense couldn't possess the ball for any length of time exactly like Jax this year. It sure feels like the 2 other units (STs and Offense) that Hue chose to interfere with most remained most penalized and undisciplined.  No consequences for repeating mistakes, blowing off responsibilities or lining up wrong - just a very youth footballesque "it's okay" fanny pat to guys that are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS.  Nothing like the "GIVE YOUR SOUL TO GOD BECAUSE YOUR ASSS BELONGS TO ME" Williams instilled in his defense. So, here we are with 8 games left looking to what has worked saying good bye to what hasn't...

Let's see what Williams does with the opportunity.  FWIW, Bill Belichick only had 1 winning season in 5 years here during his first Head Coaching gig; and it didn't look ANYTHING like his 2nd HC opportunity in NE. The difference?  His 1st gig followed the decade Cleveland frequented the playoffs most (since the 50s) so a lot of old players and salaries needed to be purged out.   If you look at Gregg Williams' situation in Buffalo, it was very similar to that where Buffalo made the playoffs 8 times in the 90s and purged out old players and salaries at the beginning of the next decade when Gregg Williams was signed as HC in 2001. At the same time, the Tom Donahoe that got fired for bringing Bill Cowher incompatible personnel was now the make or break personnel guy Gregg Williams had to count on for whatever that's worth. 

The only question to be answered THIS YEAR is - is Gregg Williams in the right place at the right time? 

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Was he drinking that purified water Ghoolie is in charge of?  

"Only 4 NFL Teams told him that?  How disappointing!  I had at least 37 NFL teams interested in me.  However, I also had 163% of America and 200% of Russia interested in me so I ran for President and WON!  This was punctuated with the largest Inauguration crowd ever. Just ask Fox News..."            - Donald Trump

On 11/3/2018 at 6:13 AM, Flugel said:

This team has shown us they can compete with anyone for at least 4 quarters THIS YEAR.  I think we can all agree that the 1 Unit ruled with a "LET'S PHUCKIN HUNT" mentality made it possible to be in ideal positions to beat NYJ, Baltimore, Pitt, NO, TB.  No coddling or plastic fanny pats required. The biggest times they struggled were when the offense couldn't possess the ball for any length of time exactly like Jax this year. It sure feels like the 2 other units (STs and Offense) that Hue chose to interfere with most remained most penalized and undisciplined.  No consequences for repeating mistakes, blowing off responsibilities or lining up wrong - just a very youth footballesque "it's okay" fanny pat to guys that are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS.  Nothing like the "GIVE YOUR SOUL TO GOD BECAUSE YOUR ASSS BELONGS TO ME" Williams instilled in his defense. So, here we are with 8 games left looking to what has worked saying good bye to what hasn't...

wtf are you talking about?  You sure as hell aren't in touch with reality.  Williams'  bullshite is unwelcome and has been a giant failure of late.  The rest of the league laughs at him

like the loudmouth idiot he is.  Williams hasn't instilled shite in this defense except a lack of containment and lack of on the field discipline.  There was a small period where an not maintainable turnover differential had us in decent position,, but now thats passed it is clear the defense is terrible and is getting killed schematically as well.

29 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

wtf are you talking about?  You sure as hell aren't in touch with reality.  Williams'  bullshite is unwelcome and has been a giant failure of late.  The rest of the league laughs at him

like the loudmouth idiot he is.  Williams hasn't instilled shite in this defense except a lack of containment and lack of on the field discipline.  There was a small period where an not maintainable turnover differential had us in decent position,, but now thats passed it is clear the defense is terrible and is getting killed schematically as well.

In case you didn't notice, the Chiefs have been killing everyone, not just the Browns. I'll check but looks like Ward and Kirksey were out, depleting an already thin secondary

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

In case you didn't notice, the Chiefs have been killing everyone, not just the Browns. I'll check but looks like Ward and Kirksey were out, depleting an already thin secondary

Gaines too. They used both backs and even threw to Duke. Kept Baker alive too. For an interim staff, they did alright. 

15 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I think if we had a reliable kicker, we’d probably kick the XPs. But we don’t. 

If you knew that he was injured.  Otherwise, a kicker that you put on your team ought to at least be able to make extra points.

Of course, if you see that your relatively new kicker is missing extra points badly and you're gonna cut him after the game, then sure, forego extra points entirely.

51 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm just not a big fan of going for 2 in the first half.  Too many things can still happen.  So many ways the game can go.  

Just terrible game day coaching.  

On 11/2/2018 at 10:43 PM, Tacosman said:

not at all. If he goes 6-2 he still has no shot at the job.  none.

6 and 2.    what are you nuts.....the falcons are coming to town next to butcher up the clueless clowns...and it don' t get any better after that either....he ain't going 6 and 2...even with the starters back in.....

16 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Just terrible game day coaching.  

williams hopefully will not be the coach, however, you can't blame him for this loss....he did not even know he was the interim until tuesday maybe...against this team the chiefs....pfffffft....you tell me a coach you think would have won this game against this team with all the same Sheet uncertainty with the clowns.....and i'll tell you you are crazy....

12 minutes ago, browns52 said:

williams hopefully will not be the coach, however, you can't blame him for this loss....he did not even know he was the interim until tuesday maybe

We knew on Monday.

52 minutes ago, browns52 said:

williams hopefully will not be the coach, however, you can't blame him for this loss....he did not even know he was the interim until tuesday maybe...against this team the chiefs....pfffffft....you tell me a coach you think would have won this game against this team with all the same Sheet uncertainty with the clowns.....and i'll tell you you are crazy....

Didn't blame him for the loss..... blamed him for going for 2. 

15 hours ago, Tacosman said:

Like countless others have told you, I can't help you with your reading comprehension issues.   When healthy, our defense was easily #1 in getting turnovers about 5-6 weeks into things. You alluded to it above but the sad thing is you don't have the first clue as to how or why the dynamics of what we can and can't have changed. And you can pretend all you want there haven't been 4 OT games, which was improvement you want to pretend doesn't exist.

That said, coming off 0-16 football last year - could this defense afford to face KC without the following starters (or situational role players ) for significant portions or all game: Ward, Mitchell, Randall, Schobert, Gaines and Kirksey.  Try playing someone in a game of chess where they can use all their attack pieces and you only get to use pawns and 1 attack piece (Garrett).  Let me know how easy it is...  Oh wait, you already did...  

Last but not least, Gregg Williams was the DC of 2 Superbowl Teams (NO and TN) so he has a job in the NFL today while you're making Tacos.

Archived