THE BROWNS BOARD

Gregg Williams interim head coach

Opal312

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

So I guess we will see you once the season is over since you're done with this team.   See ya in February

pretty much....i'll wait and see what happens during the chiefs game. Something tells me the score won't be all that bad because KC isn't coming to play hard. But the look on the field will be telling, KC will dominate cruising on preseason mode. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

pretty much....i'll wait and see what happens during the chiefs game. Something tells me the score won't be all that bad because KC isn't coming to play hard. 

Calm down captain pessimisim.

There is a lot of talent on this team. I wouldn’t go throwing in the towel on them just yet. 

I believe I had this one...

Kitchens is an interesting choice. Would seem to foretell an increased emphasis on the run game... perfect for a Defense-minded HC.

Get ready for plenty of pounding and Play-action.

Kitchens' choice also keeps Zampese's focus on developing our QB.

1 hour ago, darren15 said:

Greg needs to win how many games of those left to get the job full time ....or will that not happen regardless ?

Not the case at all. Haslam said in the presser- we have eight games to play, the season is far from over. We'll make a coaching decision in January, right now Gregg Williams is the head coach.   

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I believe I had this one...

Kitchens is an interesting choice. Would seem to foretell an increased emphasis on the run game... perfect for a Defense-minded HC.

Get ready for plenty of pounding and Play-action.

great, awesome. Wish this would have happened before we traded carlos. 

30 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Yeah..because how can we replace the 6 carries for 11 yards he put up this past Sunday.

cause that's what he was contributing to our team when he was here. I reiterate for the 1 millionith time, we had the best RB room in the NFL. Chubb would still likely have taken over the 1 spot by the end of the season....but if he gets dinged, Dontrell Hilliard when we could have had Hyde come back in? Im sorry that's just stupid. Splitting weeks between Hyde and CHubb would have kept them both completely fresh...….

3 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

cause that's what he was contributing to our team when he was here. I reiterate for the 1 millionith time, we had the best RB room in the NFL. Chubb would still likely have taken over the 1 spot by the end of the season....but if he gets dinged, Dontrell Hilliard when we could have had Hyde come back in? Im sorry that's just stupid. Splitting weeks between Hyde and CHubb would have kept them both completely fresh...….

That's not how it works.  You don't switch off weeks of having a starting running back.     Why do we have the only fans who worry so much about how tired the players are???  Its one fucking game a week for 4 months.  They should be in good enough shape to carry the ball 20-25 times a game for 16 games.    Its only stupid to fans who live in the past and still want 2013 Josh Gordon even though that guy has been gone for 5 years.  They still have a sandy diaper because Hyde is from OSU and seems like a great guy but Chubb is putting up similiar if not better numbers with the same amount of carries.  Could also be the fact that Dorsey or even Hue wanted Chubb to get more carries and Haley refused to play him.  Certainly seems possible based on all the news that came out today about the problems between these two morons.

It seems to me that Dorsey and Haslam want Gregg to elevate the team to embody his intensity. The Defensive side of the ball has done that, mostly. The offense is just too soft. Pittsburgh's offense was mean and nasty yesterday and the difference in intensity was easy to see... "You've got to claw by your fingernails, for that inch...".

I believe that Haslam's hope is for Gregg to assume the Head Coaching job and retain it through next year. If Gregg wins 6 games, he's in for a hefty pay raise.   

4 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Browns are still building a team and getting a 5th rounder for a guy you were cutting at the end of the year anyway, in a position you just drafted at #35, was a no brainer. 

Careful....dont confuse the little girls with logic and facts like that.   It makes their little heads hurt. 

36 minutes ago, Mark O said:

That's not how it works.  You don't switch off weeks of having a starting running back.     

The titans kind of did that when they had smash and dash running for em. Don't ask me to rem their names. BUt they'd dial one dudes carries down one week and up the next week. Bulk number of rushing attmps were pretty much the same week to week...but one guy would get the bulk of those carries for a week or two then get dialed back. Worked for them. And hyde did lose a little bit of explosiveness about a month into the season so why someone would think this wouldn't work in clev is beyond me. You can run the same guy the whole season, but he's GOING to lose explosiveness thorugh the holes. The grinding churning yds will still be there, but the burst......WILL be diminished. That's just the way it is. 

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Williams will of course fight for the job.  Will Can the team respond?  

FIFY...

Questions at OT and lack of WR talent are serious impediments to an effective response, but Greg knows how he'd attack our O and that will help set some changes in motion.

As I posted elsewhere, the first change I expect is pounding the run with Play-action off that.

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

It seems to me that Dorsey and Haslam want Gregg to elevate the team to embody his intensity. The Defensive side of the ball has done that, mostly. The offense is just too soft. Pittsburgh's offense was mean and nasty yesterday and the difference in intensity was easy to see... "You've got to claw by your fingernails, for that inch...".

I believe that Haslam's hope is for Gregg to assume the Head Coaching job and retain it through next year. If Gregg wins 6 games, he's in for a hefty pay raise.   

One of your better posts Po.  :)  

Said it elsewhere, Hue's Club Med approach went out the door with thim....   

And now I must break for Donovan and Dieken's takes on Red Zone. For those that don't have it, I'll give a full report in an hour....   Oh Grossi will probably be on too, and he was at the presser....   

this is a pretty meaningless move.  We have 8 games left in a season we are going nowhere in.  Would like to win some games, maybe go 5-3 the final 8, but Gregg Williams(or any other interim brought in) isn't going to be the HC in 2019.  It's  pretty unlikely he will be back as DC(depending on who HC is of course)

The new HC is almost certain to be an offensive guy who we hope works well with Mayfield.  

5 hours ago, PoeticG said:

lol...this is delusional.  Gregg Williams isn't going to be the HC of the Browns next year,  even if he goes 6-2.  That hire would be ridiculed throughout the league.  

Williams will be lucky to be on as a DC somewhere next year.  

13 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

lol...this is delusional.  Gregg Williams isn't going to be the HC of the Browns next year,  even if he goes 6-2.  That hire would be ridiculed throughout the league.  

Williams will be lucky to be on as a DC somewhere next year.  

The explain yourself why an interim HC (with previous- though poor) HC-ing experience wouldn't be granted an extension if he went 6-2 with a team that was in a death spiral before he took over? Damn, Hue got a second chance going 8-8 with the Raiders, and I doubt you forgot Williams coached a SB level defense. 

Haslam left the door open- and I second the motion. If the team continues to suck and blows close games, sure Williams is gone. Otherwise- not so fast my friend.  

21 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

lmao....a run heavy approach in the nfl in 2018?  May as well start buying stock in horse and buggy companies or brick and mortar video rental stores....

We currently don't have the horses at WR, so you play the hand you're dealt, not to mention an o-line in need of help. I'll trust Doug Dieken's opinion far more than I would yours- and his comment was they shrunk the pocket to help Baker, and then got killed all day on weak side blitzes that no one picked up. Too bad Joshie-poo was too freaking unreliable to help.... and then we get hit with the injury bug on top of that....   

I really, really like Gregg. His intensity is contagious bruh, as juice would say.  And he is a respected hardass, not a wannabe like Hueless. I like the attitude he has instilled in our defense. Those boys do not quit no matter how many times the offense wastes one of their hard fought turnovers.  We will see if that intensity translates to the offense as well. I can tell you this, practice and walk through are going to be much different. Gregg knows precisely how he would attack our offense, and you can bet he is going to teach some lessons when he turns the dogs loose in practice. Haley and Hue were two primadonnas locked in a sissy fight over the offense. Gregg cares about cracking fookin skulls and punishing the other team for mistakes. I dig it. AND if he is just interim for this year, I hope we retain him as DC next year.  I believe he can build something truly special with this defense if given the time to develop the young guys over the next few years. I got a Shmucking lozenge for ya coach, go Shmucking get em!!!!

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

The explain yourself why an interim HC (with previous- though poor) HC-ing experience wouldn't be granted an extension if he went 6-2 with a team that was in a death spiral before he took over? Damn, Hue got a second chance going 8-8 with the Raiders, and I doubt you forgot Williams coached a SB level defense. 

Haslam left the door open- and I second the motion. If the team continues to suck and blows close games, sure Williams is gone. Otherwise- not so fast my friend.  

In the middle of the 1984 season, Sam Rutigliano was fired, as we were in the middle of a brutal losing streak. Sam was a great guy....a "players coach".  He was replaced by the current defensive coordinator, who was more of a disciplinarian. The team immediately responded to that interim HC. Anybody remember that? 

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

And now I must break for Donovan and Dieken's takes on Red Zone. For those that don't have it, I'll give a full report in an hour....   Oh Grossi will probably be on too, and he was at the presser....   

Towards the end of the show, "Jimmy the 11th caller";) & Donovan agreed, they saw a odd moment between D&H in presser..I missed the uncomfortable moment in the presser:unsure:.. unless Jimmy deferring the 1st Hue question to Dorsey was it? Also towards the end of presser, it sounds like Haslem takes credit or the sword for the hiring of Haley? 

16 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

im not sure I want the browns to win another single game. Season's over, too many uncompetitive games for me to give a sht about some late season wins against teams starting to rest starters. After what the chiefs do to us in a week most of you will prob agree. Might as well start considering draft position. There's no way the team is going to rally around an interim HC when they know that he's likely gone on black Monday and the next staff might go in different directions and some of these players might be traded/cut. Season's over fella's.....might as well get out on sundays and get some fresh air. 

Jeezus ... Fuck off.

Draft position Are you fucking kidding me?

We need to teach the young men we have already drafted how to win and how to be professionals.

When's the last time the Steelers thought about draft position, 1969?

I doubt the Ravens ever thought about draft position in their franchise history.

Leave the losing, the moaning, the whining and the attitude at the door ... Dorsey don't play that, and either does The Gregg.

Zombo

2 hours ago, lodilobo said:

In the middle of the 1984 season, Sam Rutigliano was fired, as we were in the middle of a brutal losing streak. Sam was a great guy....a "players coach".  He was replaced by the current defensive coordinator, who was more of a disciplinarian. The team immediately responded to that interim HC. Anybody remember that? 

Absolutely.

We went from getting blown out every week to being in a 20-17 type game every week and winning half of them.

Then we won 5 straight division championships and went to three AFC Championships.

I doubt Williams is kept around even if we go 4-4, but he can go a long way to changing the culture, so that when the next guy comes in, we are ready to roll.

Zombo

3 hours ago, lodilobo said:

Yep, they started out 1-7, and after  Sam was fired they went  4-4....And then they went on to win the division the next  3 years in a row.

Schedule[edit]

Week Date Opponent Result Attendance Record
1 September 3, 1984 at Seattle Seahawks L 33–0
0–1
2 September 9, 1984 at Los Angeles Rams L 20–17
0–2
3 September 16, 1984 Denver Broncos L 24–14
0–3
4 September 23, 1984 Pittsburgh Steelers W 20–10
1–3
5 September 30, 1984 at Kansas City Chiefs L 10–6
1–4