THE BROWNS BOARD

Gregg Williams interim head coach

Opal312

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

That’s due to injury. It’s been Michel nigh on all the way when he’s been healthy 

It became Michel after Burkhead was put on IR... but in recent seasons Bill seems to some home to White.

Comment was not just for this season, but many past seasons when the Pats have taken a true, RB-by-committee approach. Many seasons someone eventually emerges as the bell cow, but not always.

I typically stay away from any NE RB in fantasy - never know who Bill will hand it off to from one game to the next....

.... and don't think I didn't see you there Cordarrelle Patterson. 

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

It became Michel after Burkhead was put on IR... but in recent seasons Bill seems to some home to White.

Comment was not just for this season, but many past seasons when the Pats have taken a true, RB-by-committee approach. Many seasons someone eventually emerges as the bell cow, but not always.

White’s mainly a pass catcher though rsther than a RB? 

30 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I typically stay away from any NE RB in fantasy - never know who Bill will hand it off to from one game to the next....

.... and don't think I didn't see you there Cordarrelle Patterson. 

This year, both Michel and James White have been putting up numbers in the same game. Michel is the power/speed. James White with tons of receptions out of backfield.

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

White’s mainly a pass catcher though rsther than a RB? 

White's steady role has been as "the 3rd down back", so, yes, is in to receive more than run. This year he has picked up a chunk of the workload that Dion Lewis had shouldered. Halfway thru 2018 he already has posted a career high in rushing yards.

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

The explain yourself why an interim HC (with previous- though poor) HC-ing experience wouldn't be granted an extension if he went 6-2 with a team that was in a death spiral before he took over?

because shite sometimes happen in 8 game stretches and we aren't going to commit to someone who is simply not thought of as a head coach in the nfl right now because of a little hot stetch.  

If say....we had a young OC who was well thought of and we promoted him to interim, then sure it would maybe  be a test drive.  But thats not the case here.  Everyone expects that.  Hell Williams Im sure knows that.  There are 32 nfl teams and not a single one, including us, thinks of Williams as potential HC candidate.  Going 6-2 to finish the year isnt going to change that.  

19 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

because shite sometimes happen in 8 game stretches and we aren't going to commit to someone who is simply not thought of as a head coach in the nfl right now because of a little hot stetch.  

If say....we had a young OC who was well thought of and we promoted him to interim, then sure it would maybe  be a test drive.  But thats not the case here.  Everyone expects that.  Hell Williams Im sure knows that.  There are 32 nfl teams and not a single one, including us, thinks of Williams as potential HC candidate.  Going 6-2 to finish the year isnt going to change that.  

If he finishes 6-2 he will be the coach in 2019.. that would be 3 more victories in half a season than Hue did in 2 1/2 seasons...

30 minutes ago, domcucch1994 said:

If he finishes 6-2 he will be the coach in 2019.. that would be 3 more victories in half a season than Hue did in 2 1/2 seasons...

so?  The two arent neccessarily connected in such a linear way wrt decision making though.

Every interim coach isn't interviewing for the job.  Dorsey/Haslam very much picked an interim here that they wouldnt have to worry about such a thing.  

They are going to pick some new guy.  Williams is not coaching to be the browns HC in 2018.

41 minutes ago, domcucch1994 said:

Hell, they'd put his name on the Stadium's Ring of Honor. 

4 hours ago, Tacosman said:

so?  The two arent necessarily connected in such a linear way wrt decision making though.

Every interim coach isn't interviewing for the job.  Dorsey/Haslam very much picked an interim here that they wouldn't have to worry about such a thing.  

They are going to pick some new guy.  Williams is not coaching to be the browns HC in 2018.

LOL, that's like Ghoolie predicting Hue wasn't going to get fired. 2-6, sure he's gone. 6-2 and Williams will be given another year. Maybe even 5-3 will do it. 

Corbett, Bitonio, Tretter, Zeitler, Robinson - Put your best five monsters out there on the Oline and play to their strength. Run Chubb. Play action fake. Duke in space. 

When will we get a press conference from Coach? 

48 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Corbett, Bitonio, Tretter, Zeitler, Robinson - Put your best five monsters out there on the Oline and play to their strength. Run Chubb. Play action fake. Duke in space. 

Too busy knocking the team back into shape.   

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Probably tomorrow after the game plan goes in...

We are in a win-win situation with Williams now. If he turns this team into a competitor every Sunday and does not pull those mind-binding gameday mismanagement skills over from The Departed One, we might actually already have a HC. If not then we still have a decent DC.

40 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We are in a win-win situation with Williams now. If he turns this team into a competitor every Sunday and does not pull those mind-binding gameday mismanagement skills over from The Departed One, we might actually already have a HC. If not then we still have a decent DC.

I don't think you could've said it any better.  We all see the rough and gruff side of Gregg from things like Hard Knocks and whatever else, but apparently he's not to be fair to his players and a coach that earns their respect.  One thing the players like (per Browns Daily) is Gregg isn't above calling out his own mistakes, and he encourages his players to voice their opinions.  He's kind of an "old school" type of guy, and there's a small chance he's exactly what they need to get back to competitive.  

Also, Gregg doesn't give a hoot about the offense.  That means we could bring in whoever we wanted and run whichever style of offense we think would best suit Baker.  I wouldn't BET on Gregg coming back as head coach, but I could think of worse things.  Especially if we somehow find the right offensive mind to help our stagnant point production. I also find it appealing to bring back the same defensive coordinator for another year.  From what I understand, Gregg was instrumental in drafting Ward and acquiring more DB's.  Dorsey, to his credit, listened and made it happen.  We don't have the "be all, end all" secondary, but we're also dealing with some injuries, and those poor bastards are on the field so darn much.  

22 hours ago, Tacosman said:

Tend to agree, but it isn't "they". It's "he".

This is going to be Dorsey's search and Dorsey's guy... who Jimmah will then rubber stamp.

And if Jimmah is smart... the new guy reports to Dorsey.

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

This is going to be Dorsey's search and Dorsey's guy... who Jimmah will then rubber stamp.

I hope & believe this is what will happen. Dorsey seems to have won Jimmy's respect & trust as evidenced by the coaching changes.

Mike

I'm sure Williams is planning on making an impression to become the permanent HC. I have no idea how good he will be, or if the players will respond to him. Personally, I hope we win 6 of the last 8 games, and he stays on as HC.

1 hour ago, lodilobo said:

I'm sure Williams is planning on making an impression to become the permanent HC. I have no idea how good he will be, or if the players will respond to him. Personally, I hope we win 6 of the last 8 games, and he stays on as HC.

Do that and I guarantee he would be the new HC. Here he is starting his audition for the job. 🤩

23 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

well lets hope so.

In a given org though, this is not always so black and white.  Even if there is an organizational chart that spells it out.  Hell ust thinking on a personal level our practice has such a well defined chart, but behind the scenes we all know who can influence who in various ways and to what degrees in some situations,and thats not spelled out in a chart.  Or even if it's listed as such, its possible to be changed on a whim in an instant.Jimmy can give a GM full control over the HC, until he doesn't like something and decides not to...even if not done formally

On 10/30/2018 at 11:03 PM, PoeticG said:

Corbett, Bitonio, Tretter, Zeitler, Robinson - Put your best five monsters out there on the Oline and play to their strength. Run Chubb.

heck yes....some SMASHMOUTH football.  The hell with the sean mcvays of the world....they don't know jack.  We need to line up and make TJ(tom jackson for you young ones) proud....pound the rock and stop the run.  Lets party like it's 1983....

13 hours ago, Tacosman said:

lmao....you guys are almost as delusional as Williams himself:

https://deadspin.com/gregg-williams-is-really-gonna-stick-with-this-everyon-1830161405

Delusional??....because some of us are giving the guy a chance? I don't care how bad of a HC he is....he can't be as bad as Hue. We all couldn't wait to get Jackson out of here, we finally get him out, and now we're going to bitch about who is taking over? Sorry the guy has an ego and is a little full of himself....maybe exaggerates a little.....yeah, he sucks. Maybe it's not too late to beg Hue to come back. Too bad we couldn't get Gruden like a lot of us wanted. Be careful what you wish for.

Archived