THE BROWNS BOARD

I think we might crush it this week

stillmotion

Could very well be a very close game vs. the Chiefs. We're young and hungry and we no longer have the burden of Hue Jackson. Sure, the Chiefs will put up points, but it's apparent their pass D is lacking.

Word is Higgins will play, Higgins is saying Callaway better play, and Landry is due to finally go off for a game. Kitchens will get Duke more involved, and our clock management / time management should be a million times better. I'm willing to bet the farm we put up a lot more points this week then we've been putting up.

Go Browns!

I have a sneaking suspicion there are quite a few posters on here who are going to be disappointed when they realize that "No Hue" isn't going to be the godsend they think it will be for these last eight games.

At this point, I'll be happy with another two wins and a 4-11-1 finish. 

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

Could very well be a very close game vs. the Chiefs. We're young and hungry and we no longer have the burden of Hue Jackson. Sure, the Chiefs will put up points, but it's apparent their pass D is lacking.

Word is Higgins will play, Higgins is saying Callaway better play, and Landry is due to finally go off for a game. Kitchens will get Duke more involved, and our clock management / time management should be a million times better. I'm willing to bet the farm we put up a lot more points this week then we've been putting up.

Go Browns!

No...it won't.  Enjoy the epic beatdown you are about to receive.

1 hour ago, Pat Mahomo said:

Don't get uppity, even though I agree with your opinion. Bills- Vikings, in case you forgot. 

Almost wanted to change the thread title to "I think we're going to get crushed Sunday". Let the Chiefs come in here overconfident. Vikes thought all they had to do to beat the Bills was show up. 

5 hours ago, Pat Mahomo said:

At times like this, your nickname is really fitting ;)

9 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Go Browns!

I don't want to sound like a negative jerk here, but I really think people should brace themselves for the inevitable reality of facing a virtually undefeated team. Saying that, I DO agree with you that the players you mentioned will have solid days, especially Duke and Callaway. I've been saying all week I think our Browns will come out with a strong effort and give our fans a show. I see Baker Mayfield being completely amped up for this match-up, and I'm expecting a much better performance by our OL AND our QB's ability to alter protection schemes and audible out of OBVIOUS sack situations. 

Browns fans won't want to hear this....but....SURPRISE! WE'VE GOT KICKER PROBLEMS AGAIN! After our kicker missed that FG, you just had a feeling his confidence was shot. What do ya know, his next extra point attempt was was one of the worst kicks I've ever seen. I mean, that thing was the shank-a-licious. To be fair, I didn't see if the hold was bad, but I don't believe it was. Why am I bringing up the painfully obvious? Because this likely means we'll be going for it on more fourth downs. For one, our kicker sucks and there's little guarantee of any kick going in, and two, the Chiefs score TOUCHDOWNS, and lots of them. FG's aren't likely to help much. 

I expect Baker to have a mixed game. He'll do some positive things, but he'll also throw a pick or two, and possibly even fumble because he'll have to throw it a zillion times. It's very difficult to play QB in the NFL, harder still when the opposition KNOWS you're basically throwing it every down. Now obviously there's no guarantee we're going to be down early, but we still don't have a touchdown in the first quarter, and we basically doubled our first quarter point production with 6 last week. Yikes. 

I'd love nothing more than to grab a victory for our home crowd. I bet our players are still embarrassed by the show they put on for the Bolts game. I'm hoping the home environment can steady our resolve and provide a much needed boost to our battered team. What we REALLY need is for our defense to take one of their many turnovers back to the house. A defensive touchdown could really tip the scale towards us, and it's rather unbelievable that we don't have one yet. If we can somehow get up early, anything can happen, and this also allows us to keep the dangerous Chubb heavily involved. 

I'm still not sure how Njoku didn't have a TARGET last week, and I still don't understand why Devalve doesn't get more chances. I like throwing to tight ends. I like Baker targeting the middle of the field. I want to see more quick passing route combinations, option routes, vertical seams, and a million different ways to do screen passes. We knew Steelers were blitzing, and we ran a screen to Duke on the first drive. It worked, and I don't remember another one. I agree with your optimism regarding the team's performance, but I don't see us winning. Heck, we could play WELL and STILL lose by 20. I just think we're outmatched here, but I've never wanted to be more wrong. 

Baker Mayfield, 31-51 for 311 yards, 2 TDs, 2 picks. 

Nick Chubb, 17 rushes for 82 yards, 1 TD. 

Duke Johnson, 1 rush for 2 yards. 2 receptions for 18 yards. (all on the first drive and then he vanishes like a fart in the wind). Hahahaha, just kidding! Duke will have his best game of the year. 

Chiefs - 36

Browns - 24

Browns fight hard for the home crowd, but turn it over on downs due to no faith in the kicker, and Baker throws 2 picks because he has to pass into nickel and dime defenses for much of the second half. Fun game to watch, just a little short on talent. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I expect Baker to have a mixed game. He'll do some positive things, but he'll also throw a pick or two, and possibly even fumble because he'll have to throw it a zillion times. It's very difficult to play QB in the NFL, harder still when the opposition KNOWS you're basically throwing it every down. Now obviously there's no guarantee we're going to be down early, but we still don't have a touchdown in the first quarter, and we basically doubled our first quarter point production with 6 last week. Yikes. 

Good post, but I have a hunch the Browns may try to establish the run in this game, and try to drain the clock. Not sure if it'll work, but I sure hope it does. 

Getting into a shootout with the Chiefs through the air isn't a good idea the way they're rolling. 

I think the Browns will come out with lots of energy, and expect a close game. 

1 minute ago, Bob806 said:

Good post, but I have a hunch the Browns may try to establish the run in this game, and try to drain the clock. Not sure if it'll work, but I sure hope it does. 

Getting into a shootout with the Chiefs through the air isn't a good idea the way they're rolling. 

Remember the New Orleans game? We actually had the perfect game plan and we executed it for 55 minutes. Really, we had the game in hand but Tyrod threw that interception, and that was that. Yeah, our kicker blew it, but how many times have we been a first down or two away from winning the game and we couldn't get it? 

Anyway, THAT'S the game plan that will beat the Chiefs. Obviously way easier said than done, but we don't have the horsepower to get into a shootout. Play keep away, score TDs not FG's, win the effing game. 

4 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Chubb & Duke may be lots of fun to watch tomorrow & possibly having Higgins back could be huge. I also have an inkling the Baker led offense may have some new wrinkles.

Sadly, I'll be watching at home, recovering from surgery (my first ever in almost 72 years & it had to be during football season damnit!), but I'm there in spirit & planning to be there physically next week.

GO BROWNS!!!

Mike

38 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Take it to the Bank.

Zombo

Take him to the bank  from CBS Sports:

* Chiefs' Tyreek Hill: Cleared to play Sunday

"Hill (groin) doesn't carry an injury designation into Sunday's game against the Browns after logging a full practice Friday, BJ Kissel of the Chiefs' official site reports.At the halfway mark of the Chiefs' schedule, Hill ranks sixth in the NFL with 705 receiving yards on 44 catches while reaching the end zone eight times. After proving his health by ending the week without any restrictions, the dynamic playmaker will take aim at a Cleveland defense that has surrendered an average of 275.6 passing yards per game this season. Only six teams have given up more passing yardage to date." 

And throw in his KO/PRs against the worst STs in the league and this will be very unpretty. Take it to the bank indeed.

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And throw in his KO/PRs against the worst STs in the league and this will be very unpretty. Take it to the bank indeed.

Lol....ok I'll take an unpretty 19-14 Browns win

47 minutes ago, hoorta said:

In reply to jiggins regarding our kicker, yeah I agree with you. But with all the turmoil this past week, working out new ones was a low priority. Probably have a new one after the bye.

Oh, totally. There was no way we could add that into the mix. Maybe if it was a bye week, but not now. In fact, should Joseph struggle again, I think we'll have a tryout. Joseph has too many "miss-hits", ya know? Like, the FG he missed against Pittsburgh sucked for us, but it was a well-struck ball. He didn't miss it by much. Remember the Happy Gilmore kick he had that went left and sliced back right? Lol. The kid has a strong leg, and when he makes solid contact the ball looks OK, but he's not the answer, and I think we know it. Just can't make a move right now. And I hate to say it, but I'm not sure we're going to have a game where FG's matter in the next few weeks, lol. We're going to need TDs. 

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have a sneaking suspicion there are quite a few posters on here who are going to be disappointed when they realize that "No Hue" isn't going to be the godsend they think it will be for these last eight games.

At this point, I'll be happy with another two wins and a 4-11-1 finish. 

We can all hope though, right?

This team surprised us all when they beat Baltimore and I don’t see why they can’t do it again

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

* Chiefs' Tyreek Hill: Cleared to play Sunday

"Hill (groin) doesn't carry an injury designation into Sunday's game against the Browns after logging a full practice Friday, BJ Kissel of the Chiefs' official site reports.At the halfway mark of the Chiefs' schedule, Hill ranks sixth in the NFL with 705 receiving yards on 44 catches while reaching the end zone eight times. After proving his health by ending the week without any restrictions, the dynamic playmaker will take aim at a Cleveland defense that has surrendered an average of 275.6 passing yards per game this season. Only six teams have given up more passing yardage to date." 

Fuck you, asshole.

Z

Regarding our kicker, the guy we had in TC competing against Zane Gonzalez, Ross Martin, is still available. I thought he may have beaten Gonzalez out in pre-season, but he was cut. That kid is from Ohio (bad weather experience), set records at Duke, 83% FG, no missed extra points & at least 1 55 yarder in pre season. What happened???

Mike

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

Regarding our kicker, the guy we had in TC competing against Zane Gonzalez, Ross Martin, is still available. I thought he may have beaten Gonzalez out in pre-season, but he was cut. That kid is from Ohio (bad weather experience), set records at Duke, 83% FG, no missed extra points & at least 1 55 yarder in pre season. What happened???

Mike

When he left he must have told Dorsey: 😁

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Shmuck you, pooper.

Z

Wow, so many of you have gotten Hue'd to the point where you all expect to lose now. Christ, have some kind of fight guys.

The Chiefs Defense is overrated. Almost every team puts up big points against them. Ward should do well against their WR's. It's Hunt I believe we need to worried about.

Expect Ward to have another good game, and if you really think Baker is going to keep getting beat, and beat, and beat without a fight, especially vs. Mahomes, then you're in for a surprise.

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

Wow, so many of you have gotten Hue'd to the point where you all expect to lose now. Christ, have some kind of fight guys.

The Chiefs Defense is overrated. Almost every team puts up big points against them. Ward should do well against their WR's. It's Hunt I believe we need to worried about.

Expect Ward to have another good game, and if you really think Baker is going to keep getting beat, and beat, and beat without a fight, especially vs. Mahomes, then you're in for a surprise.

Getting Higgins back will be a tremendous help to Baker. There is no substitute for experience.  They had a good chemistry and mutual trust that Baker hasn't quite found with any of the rookie WRs just yet.   Sometimes I catch myself really under-estimating how much goes into a rookie WR being on the same page with a rookie QB considering how much more complex NFL defenses are.  They both have to be able to adjust to some of the disguised coverage/blitz packages they've just never faced throughout their college careers.  Therefore, I don't get the sense Baker is always trusting the rookie WRs that have been asked to hit the ground running with our starting lineup all of a sudden. 

If our offense avoids the 3 and outs - I think we'll enjoy how our defense competes.   It'll be nice to get Gaines back healthy so Randall can play FS.   After watching what Conner did to our defense last week - I expect them to challenge our run defense.  That said, I fully expect our defense to be up to the challenge.  KC probably thinks all they have to do is show up.  

As we start to get guys back healthy - I see no reason this team can't build on all of the close games to the extent we're winning a lot more frequently in the 2nd half of the season.  Fan isn't just a prefix of fantastic. That's why we'll keep spending at least 3 hours to watch us 60 minutes of Cleveland Browns football.  Kick off and kick asss!

Chiefs are near the top in Sacks....and might be good for you to look at the box scores of the Chiefs games....it is TRUE we give up a lot of yards and points....AFTER WE GET OUT TO HUGE LEADS.  It's still not good, but the element of teams having to try and come back is a factor in why our numbers are terrible.  I'd estimate that our pass rush is going to take advantage of your poor OT situation.....your best chance is to see if you can get the run game going and try and grind as much time as you can.

Archived