THE BROWNS BOARD

Id like to see the Browns def emulate something from the texans D next year....

Clevfan4life

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I am skeptical that the Top 5 would ever be all D Linemen....even if that is where the strength of the draft is.  Quarterbacks STILL command the attention of the top of the draft.

But, oddly...the Top 6 teams that would draft now if the season ended today do not appear to be in need of a QB:  49ers (Garropolo coming back), Cardinals (Rosen)  Raiders (Carr) Jets(Darnold) Falcons (Ryan still at it)  Bills (Allen).   It is not until you get to 7 and 8 where a QB may be needed:  Jags and Giants.  (then maybe Redskins at 15 and Dolphins at 19 could be in the market.

IF  that order held up....I could see some serious trade ups for a QB.   (But only if Herbert and Haskins come out...which neither may).  but if they do,  these top DL could slip down a bit.

I listen to Kiper and McShays First Draft podcast every year. They hate making mock drafts, especially this far out. They're a vehicle to drive clicks, so interesting things like a top 5 of all DL help. It only really starts tonl mean something with the last few mocks.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Vallejo? Really? 

Yes really, i would be absolutely fine with him being our mlb'er if schobert got hurt again. Vallejo has serious potential. Him, schobert and Avery as the 3 lb'ers in our 43 sets is fine by me. Avery will continue to progress so id be fine with him takibg over for collins next year if he leaves. 

Im not saying valkejo is as goid as schobert, yet, but he does pop into the gaps with a little more authority than joe. 

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Kirksey has been a ghost for most of the season, as much as I like him. 

Schobert is a mainstay. 

Vallejo? Really? 

Avery is a good situational player. 

OLB is a need. 

Agree...

I expect Avery to push Kirk for the starting job in 2019.

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm starting to feel like LBs are the defensive version of RBs. 

Basically, you don't have to invest in a high pick to get a quality one. Four months before the Draft, I'm intrigued by someone like Josh Allen, but I have this sneaking suspicion I'll probably lean towards a DLineman, corner or Left Tackle.

And I'm starting to feel like QBs are the offensive version of RBs every time I see highlights of the rookie QBs in Buffalo and Baltimore. 

I'm starting to think Taco was right after all about needing corners when we can't keep anyone but Carrie healthy for any length of time this year.  That said, he questioned our talent at the position more-so than our depth so I'll continue to disagree with him on that part of it.

Lost in all the excitement, there's ANOTHER Josh Allen getting love on this board?  Stay tuned...

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

You honestly see Avery not as a liability in that full time role? 

Right now, no, but players grow and I think Avery has already shown growth.

Of course the other side of my comment is Kirk's game. Clearly he's regressed this season. The question is why. If due to injury, then he has a shot at holding Avery off. However, if it's not...

4 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Actually if we were looking at upgrading Ogbah he would be more in that mold than,  say,  Josh Allen. 

Sure. I'm not sure if he'd be an end though. He's being projected at OLB. Ogbah is bigger too. 

Better chance we take Gary (or Bush) than Winovich I think.

8 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Sure. I'm not sure if he'd be an end though. He's being projected at OLB. Ogbah is bigger too. 

Better chance we take Gary (or Bush) than Winovich I think.

Man crush on Bush this draft.  Kid could step in for Jamie or Kirk and be an upgrade.  

8 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Man crush on Bush this draft.  Kid could step in for Jamie or Kirk and be an upgrade.  

I can see Bush as a late 2nd to early 4th round pick. If we want a LB as our 2nd round pick, there are better ones out there. All depends on our last 3 games where we are in the draft order and who Dorsey wants added to round out this team.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I can see Bush as a late 2nd to early 4th round pick. If we want a LB as our 2nd round pick, there are better ones out there. All depends on our last 3 games where we are in the draft order and who Dorsey wants added to round out this team.

Bush is gonna be long gone by then man...

On 12/14/2018 at 10:07 AM, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

What is your term of preference, good sir?

My term of preference depends on the philosophy and coach.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:03 AM, Tour2ma said:

Right now, no, but players grow and I think Avery has already shown growth.

Of course the other side of my comment is Kirk's game. Clearly he's regressed this season. The question is why. If due to injury, then he has a shot at holding Avery off. However, if it's not...

Avery has shown growth but positioning him to take over as a full time WLB might be asking much.   I don't think he's fluid enough laterally and downfield to cover well plus those snaps would take away from what he has shown to be solid at - rushing the passer.  

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You're not concerned about his size?

Depends on where we align him and who we place in front of him.  But his ability to run, hit, tackle and cover is pretty evident to my eyes.   He's listed as 6'1 235 so that means he's 6'0 225-230ish.   Really he isn't much smaller than Kirksey.

2 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

A 4-3 is a 4-3. Two DTs, two edge, 3 LBs.

3-4 has one NT, 2 ends, and 2 MLBs.

am I missing something?

4 man fronts have a 'nose' assignment in classic terminology.   And what are the personnel like in your 43?  Ive seen peppers align in our base looks as a 43 stack backer but that would be a nickel personnel. 

In a 34 you don't always have a traditional 350lb nose in some 1 gap schemes - Ask Wade philips.  

If you're using simple,  base defense terms then sure,  that's fine.   But that isn't how football works much anymore and if you think 1 gap hogging monsters can't work in a 4 man front and that you need two "DT" s...then I'll be happy to provide you with plenty of examples to the counter. 

What about odd or ENT fronts and using a 2pt backer on the end?     So many ways to align that being so simple is criminal. 

I can't believe we're actually having a discussion about Avery full-time.. he's the lowest-rated edge in coverage in the league.. even if he improves from current level I don't have confidence he'll improve all the way up to "average".. Yes it would be nice to be wrong but he was drafted in the correct round and unless he flashes in the preseason, depth is a good problem to have.

if williams stays? GW could care less with what works for Crennel & the Texans.(just ask him;)). In GW system, I can see 2 DT's under 300 hundy at Bama & 1 at Auburn that could move a pocket..were far from DT FA's list that wreck drafting ideas..but that's why Dorsey hires guys like Wolfe & Highsmith.Go for it dudes, i love new thoughts & ideas. who cares. but has Elway learned about himself drafting QB's yet?..ya think Elway will ever lower his ego to hire a scout like Scott McLaughlin this off season for QB advice? dorsey did ..tick tock..   

Archived