THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'Who you watching?' 2020 thread.

The Gipper

Grant Delpit might be chocolate Hitman Harry.     6'2 203.   Kid has the frame to fill out and put on a little more 'good' mass.   But when I watch him I see more of that tweener role and less of a pure deep middle man.    Although I admit he has solid eye discipline and good range, I just think his footwork needs some serious cleaning up before I make him my secondary general.    I wasn't fond of the idea of matching him with Randall, but after watching two games this morning.... I'm warming up to the possibility.

@ 30 seconds is an example I'm talking about the cleaning up footwork in man.   He has no business taking that down step on the out action. 

But take a peek @ 1:20 when I talk about eye discipline.  That's a pretty unenviable spot of reading between the #2 and #3 when both are going vertical.  Ideally the backer would have carried down the seam a little more to help his safety out, but Grant sees that, plants his foot and attacks it the whole way.     This was against pretty average QB play though.  NFL that ball will either be placed further inside, or the QB will attempt to move him off the spot with his eyes and sneak the backside post you see creeping in there.   Again, credit to Grant though, he played it about as best as he could.  

@ 2:38.   Great range, great arm length to disrupt throws and get hands on the ball.     No hesitation after he knows what he sees.  I like that in my DB's.  Trust your eyes.

Finally @ 3:10.   Just playing physical down low off the edge in a 33 look.      This is the part of his game that I think leads the way at the moment.   Kid loves to come down and hit.  He's tall, good arm length, good first step when he plants and drives.  Like I said, he clearly has a frame that hasn't finished filling out which he'll need at the next level.   But I see the tools this year in a few of these cutups that jumped off screen in 2018.    I was worried the kid might be Eric Reid, but he appears better in coverage.  That said, he's no Jamal Adams downlow, but few safety's are.     I see a high ceiling but,  god willing at worst, I see a solid football player who won't hurt your team.   This kid looks like what many fans wanted Redwine to be.  

27 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Grant Delpit might be chocolate Hitman Harry.     6'2 203.   Kid has the frame to fill out and put on a little more 'good' mass.   But when I watch him I see more of that tweener role and less of a pure deep middle man.    Although I admit he has solid eye discipline and good range, I just think his footwork needs some serious cleaning up before I make him my secondary general.    I wasn't fond of the idea of matching him with Randall, but after watching two games this morning.... I'm warming up to the possibility.

I see a high ceiling but,  god willing at worst, I see a solid football player who won't hurt your team.   This kid looks like what many fans wanted Redwine to be.  

A few questions...

1. It seems like he's more of a strong safety, yes?

2. What is your feeling on using the #10 overall pick on him? Are you "I'd definitely be on board", "Wouldn't be my first choice" or "A lot of people I would prefer would have to be off the board to justify this"? 

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

A few questions...

1. It seems like he's more of a strong safety, yes?

2. What is your feeling on using the #10 overall pick on him? Are you "I'd definitely be on board", "Wouldn't be my first choice" or "A lot of people I would prefer would have to be off the board to justify this"? 

1 - I really don't separate the classic 'strong v free' in the modern NFL.    At this point I look at skill sets vs usage.

2 - haven't watched enough to make that strong of an opinion yet.  Gut feeling?   I need OT addressed or the players I want gone before I would consider spending #10 on Delpit.   Browns are in prime position for a quality trade down, in all honesty.

On 1/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, SdBacker80 said:

I watch a lot of Big Ten games throughout the year.
Nico Collins WR Michigan.  Been on the radar since OSU-UM game 2018.  6-4” played boundary and slot performed through shaky QB play. Makes tough catches and looks like he’s a good athlete despite 6-4 220 frame.  

Nico last year led the NCAA in contested catch rate by a wide margin. Not sure if he did again this year. Michigan fans hated how infrequently we used him. Our offense could have just been feel, jump balls to Nico but we never fed him. I'm not sure we need a WR, but he is a type of WR we don't really have. 

He has yet to declare though. Rumor is he's leaning towards returning, but still a toss up.

DPJ did declare though. He will kill it at the combine but is a different type of WR. I don't think he'd really compliment what we already have. 

Michigan does have our LT, LG, C, and RG in the draft. The LT will probably project inside too. I think this is the best chance for the Browns to draft a Wolverine.

In general, I'll be checking out Tight Ends (cue George Takei: "ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyy") because Baker seems to thrive out of 2 TE sets and our TE group is pretty 'eh'. 

Seems like a position the Browns could do well on in the mid rounds. 

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

In general, I'll be checking out Tight Ends (cue George Takei: "ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyy") because Baker seems to thrive out of 2 TE sets and our TE group is pretty 'eh'. 

Seems like a position the Browns could do well on in the mid rounds. 

IF IF IF....Njoku can get over his injuries.....he could be all that.   I guess he was in Ferd's doghouse....but who wasn't among the receiving corps. Lets say he does improve...who is to be on the other side of this 2 TE set?

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

IF IF IF....Njoku can get over his injuries.....he could be all that.   I guess he was in Ferd's doghouse....but who wasn't among the receiving corps. Lets say he does improve...who is to be on the other side of this 2 TE set?

Next season will be his last on his rookie contract, so the Browns might want to consider adding in some young talent if they don't intend on giving him a new contract

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Next season will be his last on his rookie contract, so the Browns might want to consider adding in some young talent if they don't intend on giving him a new contract

Well, one thing I think we know is that if McDaniels is the guy....he knows how to use  TEs in his offense.

No film study here as yet. I usually wait until DraftScout completes it's rankings and that isn't until after the deadline for underclass to declare passes.

As for games... aside from following Buckeye football the only team I've followed whenever possible was WSU... to see Anthony Gordon... my official QB darkhorse. Unfortunately he's not so under the radar any longer. Leading the nation in passing yardage tends to draw some attention.

He's going to end up too expensive for us, but just might be what the Pats need if Bill stays with a conventional QB approach... which I actually think will not be the case. Something tells me that for his next act a Jalen Hurts might be in his future.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

No film study here as yet. I usually wait until DraftScout completes it's rankings and that isn't until after the deadline for underclass to declare passes.

As for games... aside from following Buckeye football the only team I've followed whenever possible was WSU... to see Anthony Gordon... my official QB darkhorse. Unfortunately he's not so under the radar any longer. Leading the nation in passing yardage tends to draw some attention.

He's going to end up too expensive for us, but just might be what the Pats need if Bill stays with a conventional QB approach... which I actually think will not be the case. Something tells me that for his next act a Jalen Hurts might be in his future.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhh... I PM'd you about him about week 5.   I was watching a little  Pac 12 after dark and couldn't help but like the kid.   

As for Hurts;   thinking Bill tries his hand at getting his own version of Lamar lite?

26 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

As for Hurts;   thinking Bill tries his hand at getting his own version of Lamar lite?

Yup... and if not Bill someone will... maybe Roman, if he ends up with an HC gig.

I actually like Hurts' chances. He won't be the elusive runner Lamar is, but he has speed and one-cut ability. Plus he has arm talent and showed at OU that he can pick up a new offense PDQ. It'll take some patience, but should end up worth it.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don’t see Njoku anything more than a rotational piece.  Probably worth holding onto not expensive   (restricted fa after next season unrestricted in two).  He doesn’t do anything well.  Way too inconsistent.  One of our guys that is good for l a head scratching penalty (we could rid ourselves of handful of guys on our roster that fall into this category).

seals jones did fine in his place more reliable too.  this seems to be a position at least in our past scheme that Baker targets a lot.  

id prefer an all around stud at this position pass catcher good blocker.

id drop Harris next year. 

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... and if not Bill someone will... maybe Roman, if he ends up with an HC gig.

I actually like Hurts' chances. He won't be the elusive runner Lamar is, but he has speed and one-cut ability. Plus he has arm talent and showed at OU that he can pick up a new offense PDQ. It'll take some patience, but should end up worth it.

Yeah but the missing ingredient (elusive) huge.

I’d take Taysom Hill type QB/Runner/Pass catcher.  He was a weapon today.  Probably a great tool for a play caller.

the next Lamar ain’t walking through any door anytime soon. 

25 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yeah but the missing ingredient (elusive) huge.

I’d take Taysom Hill type QB/Runner/Pass catcher.  He was a weapon today.  Probably a great tool for a play caller.

the next Lamar ain’t walking through any door anytime soon. 

Agree... and watching Hill was fun wasn't it. I did not realize he was pushing 30 years old... must have gone on a Mormon mission before attending BYU.

On 1/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, SdBacker80 said:

I watch a lot of Big Ten games throughout the year.
Nico Collins WR Michigan.  Been on the radar since OSU-UM game 2018.  6-4” played boundary and slot performed through shaky QB play. Makes tough catches and looks like he’s a good athlete despite 6-4 220 frame.  

FYI Nico just announced he's returning to school next year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

FYI Nico just announced he's returning to school next year.

Crazy.  DPJ should be the one staying IMO.  

Nico is NFL ready much like Shaun Wade.  I think both are coming back to be the guy and move up the draft boards but both could contribute next Fall on NFL rosters. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... and watching Hill was fun wasn't it. I did not realize he was pushing 30 years old... must have gone on a Mormon mission before attending BYU.

Yeah I recall him being an older college player too.  He’s fit a role that they have given him nicely but he’s a surprisingly good athlete. The run he had trucking the DB doing the no arm tackle was a thing of beauty. 

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yeah I recall him being an older college player too.  He’s fit a role that they have given him nicely but he’s a surprisingly good athlete. The run he had trucking the DB doing the no arm tackle was a thing of beauty. 

But is he really potentially Drew Brees' replacement, or is this his ceiling? I've heard announcers at least twice say that some think he might be the Saints QB, but there's a huge difference between being a change up to an opposing defense and being the starter. 

34 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

But is he really potentially Drew Brees' replacement, or is this his ceiling? I've heard announcers at least twice say that some think he might be the Saints QB, but there's a huge difference between being a change up to an opposing defense and being the starter. 

You don’t replace Drew Brees.  I don’t see him as that answer. 

He has a defined role and the OC is masterful with his use.  

but who knows...

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Crazy.  DPJ should be the one staying IMO.  

Nico is NFL ready much like Shaun Wade.  I think both are coming back to be the guy and move up the draft boards but both could contribute next Fall on NFL rosters. 

The best reason I can think of is that, even though Nico had the production, there are concerns about his athleticism at the next level. Another year of real dominance as a true #1 might help him. Nico may get lost in the sea of top WRs coming out.

DPJ on the other hand was always going to be a combine guy. Regardless of production, his athleticism would show up through the draft process. 

Keeping my eye on?   Buckeyes.    

Chase Young..DE....top 1 or 2

Okudah..CB....top 5 maybe, no later than top 10

Dobbins....RB...late 1st, early 2d round.

Malik Harrison....LB...somewhere in 2d round.

Damon Arnette....CB...late 2d

Thayer Munford ....OT...3rd round

Devon Hamilton...DT...  early 3rd

Jordan Fuller  DB...4th round

KJ Hill ...WR....4th round

Others:    Jonah Jackson OL;    Austin Mack  WR;   Jonathan Cooper DL.  Benjamin Victor WR.

So....as many as a dozen Buckeyes could get picked. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Keeping my eye on?   Buckeyes.    

Chase Young..DE....top 1 or 2

Okudah..CB....top 5 maybe, no later than top 10

Dobbins....RB...late 1st, early 2d round.

Malik Harrison....LB...somewhere in 2d round.

Damon Arnette....CB...late 2d

Thayer Munford ....OT...3rd round

Devon Hamilton...DT...  early 3rd

Jordan Fuller  DB...4th round

KJ Hill ...WR....4th round

Others:    Jonah Jackson OL;    Austin Mack  WR;   Jonathan Cooper DL.  Benjamin Victor WR.

So....as many as a dozen Buckeyes could get picked. 

Cooper is back to OSU.

Fuller and Hill great value in the 4th.  Fuller reminds me of Kurt Coleman.  
I’d also take a flier on guys like Austin Mack And Jonah Jackson.  Jackson just came into a national title contender seamless transition and I thought played really well.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Tua declares,  he is going into the draft despite his somewhat serious injuries. 

PFF loves the kid.  But I just don't see it. I think he's a good athlete, surrounded by superior talent.   Going to take a great deal of work to make him a QB between the ears. 

Speaking of PFF... Had an interaction with one of their data scientists.   Interesting lot, those guys.

I'm a hard pass on Tua unless he craters into the second or third round...He's one who has to prove it to me. I have never seen what the analysts say are great. He doesn't hold a candle to Lawarence. Who BTW, if he wins the national championship again this year, how amazing would it be if he was like, "No, I'm good. I don't need to play CFB next year. You have seen my tape. I'll see you guys at the draft." If I was his parent, that's exactly what I would make him do. 

1 minute ago, Bigalow80 said:

I'm a hard pass on Tua unless he craters into the second or third round...He's one who has to prove it to me. I have never seen what the analysts say are great. He doesn't hold a candle to Lawarence. Who BTW, if he wins the national championship again this year, how amazing would it be if he was like, "No, I'm good. I don't need to play CFB next year. You have seen my tape. I'll see you guys at the draft." If I was his parent, that's exactly what I would make him do. 

You make excellent points.  I agree on Tua......and I agree that if Lawrence were in this draft, he would be hands down #1.   And I predict that Clemson will win....due in great part to him.