THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'Who you watching?' 2020 thread.

The Gipper

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Anybody else notice how much better Greg Robinson is playing after being benched? He's no world-beater, but he had yet another solid game against the Ravens. LTs are difficult to come by, so I'm thinking we try and keep him another year. 

Now, RT is another story. Hubbard will likely be the first guy left at the door. What's another hole? Linebacker? Safety? I think we can get these positions nailed in the first 3 rounds, plus another guard because we get an extra 3rd rounder from Duke trade. With our first 4 picks I want a RT, safety, linebacker, and guard. Make it happen. 

The oline has been scapegoated all year. 
Freddie, Baker and our Secondary have been equally and probably arguably more of an issue this season.  Don’t forget our oline is blocking for the #1 back in the league.

Most fan bases kick and scream and criticize their oline they think oline should protect a QB more than 5 seconds each play.

Re. Secondary/ We need a Jamal Adams type. And I’m starting to think a run stuffing thumper might be a better option the Joe Scho 

• Upvote 1

I'm always in favor of more OL competition, but let's give Wyatt Teller an opportunity to be the man at RG for a full season before declaring him not the solution.  At minimum he's not part of the problem.. he was the best RG in all the land just 2 weeks ago.  Maybe a full offseason working w tretter and Bito will improve their communication & give Baker confidence in the pocket once more.

Well, that, and more quick-hitting routes, but that's a different thread.

Point is, any OL after round 3 would only be competition and not a guaranteed upgrade, so let's don't end his tenure just yet.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I like the idea of going for two OTs right away. No more screwing up this OL like they did this year. Wanna score points? Then give Baker another second of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I like the idea of going for two OTs right away. No more screwing up this OL like they did this year. Wanna score points? Then give Baker another second of time.

I probably wouldn't have an issue with that, but damn do we need defensive help.  I don't know how many fans noticed, but the second half of the year we blocked pretty damn well (everyone except for Hubbard, duh).  

I'm now officially terrified of what John Dorsey will do.  Look at the 2nd rounder in Corbett, and then look at the 3rd rounder in Chad Thomas.  Chad Thomas is ATROCIOUS and doesn't belong on the field.  He was supposed to be able to set the edge against the run, but he's worse against the run than he is against the pass!  What's worse, virtually EVERY SINGLE ANALYST laughed their asses off when we drafted him.  You CAN'T miss that badly.  

Corbett?  He's not even on the TEAM anymore, and he was the first pick of the second round (a VERY desirable pick).  John Dorsey better thank Sashi Brown for that extra 2nd rounder or else we wouldn't have Nick Chubb.  And look at the other picks.  Antonio Calloway?  He's gone.  Genard Avery?  Gone.  Chad Thomas will be gone (I hope), and the only other guy is Ratley, who is just a decent player, but there are hundreds of Ratleys in the NFL. 

The worst part of the entire situation is that we somehow have MORE holes on our roster NOW than we did after the damn draft.  How in the hell is that possible?  

Oh, one more thing.  Why in the world would we cut Darren Fells as our blocking TE and keep guys like Pharoh Brown and Demetrius Harris?  Like, what's the ability difference in just blocking with those 3 guys?  It's got to be minimal, right?  So wouldn't you keep the guy that's familiar with your offense, and the guy your QB is familiar with?  Why change TE's if you don't have to?  The fact that Fells had like 37 touchdowns this year is icing on the cake.  

We start fucking around with need-drafting and we'll be middling again. Need is a tiebreaker.

Round One is the domain of BPA.

On 12/25/2019 at 11:32 AM, jiggins7919 said:

Anybody else notice how much better Greg Robinson is playing after being benched? He's no world-beater, but he had yet another solid game against the Ravens. LTs are difficult to come by, so I'm thinking we try and keep him another year. 

Now, RT is another story. Hubbard will likely be the first guy left at the door. What's another hole? Linebacker? Safety? I think we can get these positions nailed in the first 3 rounds, plus another guard because we get an extra 3rd rounder from Duke trade. With our first 4 picks I want a RT, safety, linebacker, and guard. Make it happen. 

Greg wasn't playing badly before his benching. He's serviceable in at the position... he'd also be serviceable at RT.

Agree OT and OG are needs, but whether either will be worth a 1st round spend in the mid-teens is debatable.

And did I miss Fells' Pro-Bowl announcement? Apparently he shattered Gronk's single-season TD record of 15... ;)

32 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And did I miss Fells' Pro-Bowl announcement? Apparently he shattered Gronk's single-season TD record of 15... ;)

LOL, you mean Hall of Fame? 😂

Obviously I'm having a bit of fun exaggerating, but the point remains. Why dick around with the bottom of the roster? For example, Cark Nassib. He wasn't going to be a star or anything, but is Chad Thomas better? Cox? That other scrub I can't think of...Gaston or something? These appear to be easy decisions, yet Dorsey can't resist trying to make things "better" that seem to be well enough. 

Offensive line get better at every position if possible.  On the d another edge rusher and another corner.  I would not be upset if we got our o line in free agency and traded up to get young.  With Young opposite of Garrett that’s a winning combo and makes the ravens life hell making Jackson stay in the pocket and pass which he blows at. 

We start fucking around with need-drafting and we'll be middling again. Need is a tiebreaker.

Round One is the domain of BPA.

I think that is fair, though I doubt that we would be looking for QB/RB/WR...all things considered.   Anywhere else seems fair game.

At wherever we draft....10-15, an argument could probably be made that the player we take for need is also the BPA. 

8 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I probably wouldn't have an issue with that, but damn do we need defensive help.  I don't know how many fans noticed, but the second half of the year we blocked pretty damn well (everyone except for Hubbard, duh).  

I'm now officially terrified of what John Dorsey will do.  Look at the 2nd rounder in Corbett, and then look at the 3rd rounder in Chad Thomas.  Chad Thomas is ATROCIOUS and doesn't belong on the field.  He was supposed to be able to set the edge against the run, but he's worse against the run than he is against the pass!  What's worse, virtually EVERY SINGLE ANALYST laughed their asses off when we drafted him.  You CAN'T miss that badly.  

Corbett?  He's not even on the TEAM anymore, and he was the first pick of the second round (a VERY desirable pick).  John Dorsey better thank Sashi Brown for that extra 2nd rounder or else we wouldn't have Nick Chubb.  And look at the other picks.  Antonio Calloway?  He's gone.  Genard Avery?  Gone.  Chad Thomas will be gone (I hope), and the only other guy is Ratley, who is just a decent player, but there are hundreds of Ratleys in the NFL. 

The worst part of the entire situation is that we somehow have MORE holes on our roster NOW than we did after the damn draft.  How in the hell is that possible?  

Oh, one more thing.  Why in the world would we cut Darren Fells as our blocking TE and keep guys like Pharoh Brown and Demetrius Harris?  Like, what's the ability difference in just blocking with those 3 guys?  It's got to be minimal, right?  So wouldn't you keep the guy that's familiar with your offense, and the guy your QB is familiar with?  Why change TE's if you don't have to?  The fact that Fells had like 37 touchdowns this year is icing on the cake.  

The Oline blocked for the #1 back in the NFL too.  Hubbard has to go though. 

As you pointed out the D was awful.  We could revamp the entire oline and lose 21-38 type games all year.  If we fix Freddie and Baker the line looks a whole lot better.  

i hate our TEs too and Baker loves looking in that direction. If a blocking odd catching dynamo existed I would certainly take him in round 1 this year - would fix two issues 

Don't panic. Trade up to take the best LT in the draft. Move Robinson to RT. Offense is finished. 

• Like 1

Here's a fitting story in Cleveland.. ☝️) we have a accuser attacking first ✌️) with 9 dawgs that killed 1 in self defense.. https://cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-trent-williams-dog-is-accused-of-mauling-neighbors-pet-to-death-in-texas/   as of the 19th, neighbor is lawyer'd up suing T. Williams.. stay tuned   

On 12/25/2019 at 12:32 PM, jiggins7919 said:

I have! And it befuddles me a bit. I can’t quite wrap my head around what motivates that guy, but l’d hate to think he’s motivated by negative reinforcement. It’s just not an ideal motivating factor.

And Hubbard... l really think he’s been gutting it out hurt. Only thing l can think of to explain his decline.

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

And Hubbard... l really think he’s been gutting it out hurt. Only thing l can think of to explain his decline.

Turn on Iowa/USC game & watch RT Tristan Wirfs at 320 lbs road grade Trojans 10 yards anywhere he wants..👀.. wears Hubbard's #74..

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Turn on Iowa/USC game & watch RT Tristan Wirfs at 320 lbs road grade Trojans 10 yards anywhere he wants..👀.. wears Hubbard's #74..

IOWA has been kicking butt all night looks like the BIG TEN will be 2-0 going into super Saturday.  Tough line, tough team.

And Air Force can also run the ball.

5 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

You wash your mouth out with soap. The Bengals? Go get yourself some Lifeboy and gargle that shit.

To be honest, the Bengals did outplay the Browns the first time they played, so would it really shock anyone if the Bengals won?

It would be a helluva fitting way for this Browns season to end. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Don't panic. Trade up to take the best LT in the draft. Move Robinson to RT. Offense is finished. 

So, I really like the idea of moving Greg to RT, but that's easier said than done. If the rookie struggles, it would be so tempting to move Greg back to the LT and effectively destroy the rookie's confidence. But that's getting a little fatalistic, so I'm not going there. If there's a dynamite LT prospect AND Greg can play RT (I'm not sure he can), I love the scenario. 

However, more realistic would be drafting a RT and keeping Greg Robinson at LT. That way we have a guy Baker's familiar with at his blind side, and I think RT might even be something we can get in the 2nd without much issue, and that allows us to target a stud safety with the 1st rounder. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

To be honest, the Bengals did outplay the Browns the first time they played, so would it really shock anyone if the Bengals won?

They should have won, easily. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Soap for you too! 

In all seriousness l do appreciate that no matter how awful either team is any given year they played each other tough. Seems like we got away from that the last few years, but hoping to get back to that. Blowouts are boring. 

I Watched Jackson (Plays LT) and Wirfs (plays RT) closely last night. One is much better than the other and both are projected first round.  Wirfs is quick powerful and nasty- former wrestler too so he knows leverage.  I wouldn’t take Jackson although he has the build he looks slow on the edge against NFL talent. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I Watched Jackson (Plays LT) and Wirfs (plays RT) closely last night. One is much better than the other and both are projected first round.  Wirfs is quick powerful and nasty- former wrestler too so he knows leverage.  I wouldn’t take Jackson although he has the build he looks slow on the edge against NFL talent. 

Jackson said he's coming back to Iowa next year anyway.