THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'Who you watching?' 2020 thread.

The Gipper

18 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Turn on Iowa/USC game & watch RT Tristan Wirfs at 320 lbs road grade Trojans 10 yards anywhere he wants..👀.. wears Hubbard's #74..

Any idea why Wirfs is at RT while Alaric Jackson protects Stanley's blindside? Can Wirfs play on the left side?

Also I've read where some are projecting Wirfs as an OG in the NFL due to an arm-length issue. Heard anything along these lines?

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Any idea why Wirfs is at RT while Alaric Jackson protects Stanley's blindside? question Kirk Ferentz? not me 🤓

Can Wirfs play on the left side? 2019 Wirfs played 9 at RT & 3 at LT while Jackson was out with foot & knee..Wirf has 32 starts as of his Junior season.. no injury setbacks

Also I've read where some are projecting Wirfs as an OG in the NFL due to an arm-length issue. Heard anything along these lines? Nope.. Lamar was told to play WR..

Both Alaric Jackson & Wirf came to Iowa at same season.. I read, Alaric Jackson is the Tackle that Ferentz could only fit at Left & not Right side of line..Walt at Walterfootball has some concerns that looks to me Ferentz has coached out of him.(Worse tape/Walt Michigan, have not looked yet). I have not seen Wirfs arm lenght numbers.. but from what i could tell from last night. Rarely was Wirfs arms a issue in pass pro.. they were locked straight forward to defenders inside chest plate & rarely given a real fight to get released.. Now, I would like to see Iowa's DE AJ Epenesa vs Wirf practice tapes 👀 though..  it's still draft early but.. Wirf imho, projects as a starter anywhere after Bitonio.. 

https://goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-football/2019/12/4429/tristan-wirfs-named-big-ten-offensive-lineman-of-the-year      

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orion said:

So do we have the 9th or 10th pick in the draft?

Non playoff team draft order:

PICK TEAM RECORD WIN% GB SOS

STREAK

1 2-14 .125 -- .555 Won 1

2 3-12 .200 1.5 .496 Lost 3

3 3-12-1 .219 1.5 .508 Lost 9

4 4-11 .267 2.5 .470 Won 2

5 5-11 .313 3.0 .486 Won 2

6 5-11 .313 3.0 .516 Lost 3

7 5-11 .313 3.0 .553 Lost 8

8 5-10 .333 3.5 .488 Lost 1

9 5-9-1 .367 4.0 .528 Won 2

10 6-10 .375 4.0 .530 Lost 3

11 6-9 .400 4.5 .514 Won 1

12 7-9 .438 5.0 .472 Won 2

13 7-9 .438 5.0 .502 Lost 2

14 7-9 .438 5.0 .545 Won 4

15 7-8 .467 5.5 .478 Won 1

16 7-8 .467 5.5 .480 Lost 1

17 7-8 .467 5.5 .490 Won 1

18 8-8 .500 6.0 .506 Won 1

19 8-7 .533 6.5 .500 Lost 2

20 8-7 .533 6.5 .538 Lost 2

7 minutes ago, Orion said:

Your chart shows Jacksonville at 5-10.

Yea, I don't think that is updated after late games. ...but Jags did beat Colts.

So they too are 6-10.   Their SOS may actually still give them the #9 pick. 

Need it updated. 

OK...saw updated......Jags get #9, Browns  10.

Players in the range of #10, perhaps:

Jerry Jeudy Alabama Jr WR 1 6-1 192    
7 CeeDee Lamb Oklahoma Jr WR 2 6-2 189    
8 Isaiah Simmons Clemson Jr S 1 6-4 230    
9 Grant Delpit LSU Jr S 2 6-3 203    
10 A.J. Epenesa Iowa Jr EDGE 2 6-6 280    
11 Henry Ruggs III Alabama Jr WR 3 6-0 190    
12 Derrick Brown Auburn Sr DL 1 6-5 318    
13 Javon Kinlaw South Carolina Sr DL 2 6-6 310    
14 Kristian Fulton LSU Sr CB 2 6-0 200    
15 Tristan Wirfs Iowa Jr OL 2 6-5 322    
16 D'Andre Swift Georgia Jr RB 1 5-9 215    
17 Kenneth Murray Oklahoma Jr LB 1 6-2 234  

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

We talk about OL, but I just might go for LB Simmons if available.. LB coverage is also a need.

We should definitely take a look at Simmons. He had a nice pick Saturday night but I though overall he was quiet.   I think most Browns fan think a coaching change solves the defense.  I disagree we could use a pass rusher, a run stuffing backer most of all a field general at the Safety position-  IMO all three of these are needs.

I see maybe two Off Tackles worthy of #10 overall pick after that we are reaching.  So I think best player available not at QB, RB or WR is the way to go there. 

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I see maybe two Off Tackles worthy of #10 overall pick after that we are reaching.  So I think best player available not at QB, RB or WR is the way to go there. 

Agree on OTs, but don't dismiss idea of trading down. There are three teams within five picks of us who are in need of a QB.

17 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Kinda curious what some of you think about JK Dobbins? I can’t help but like him. Gritty player with some speed and moves, but l wonder if he’s considered undersized and l’m not sure he’s got the hands you want for a 3rd down back. Never fumbled at OSU. That’s something.

Second round, at least, if now low 1st.  Not for the Browns, given our needs.....but fairly high, now that the league is back to drafting RBs high. 

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree on OTs, but don't dismiss idea of trading down. There are three teams within five picks of us who are in need of a QB.

I don’t see it this season. 

we have three teams ahead of us that need QBS at 1,5 and 6 and this is basically a 3 QB draft Burrow, Herbert and Tua and honestly I see Tua taking a dive.  

two teams just behind us won’t take a QB Jets and Raiders but after that 

13,14,15, and 16 all need QBs.  Any of those teams can trade up and 12 is great spot for that to get just ahead of the pack.

if Hebert falls past the Dolphins and Chargers we have a shot but at that point any number of teams that don’t need a QB from 7-12 have the same shot.   Gonna be a buyers market 

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Kinda curious what some of you think about JK Dobbins? I can’t help but like him. Gritty player with some speed and moves, but l wonder if he’s considered undersized and l’m not sure he’s got the hands you want for a 3rd down back. Never fumbled at OSU. That’s something.

Better than some speed... One site I use puts his 40 time in 4.30-4.88 better than a tenth faster than Clemson's Etienne. Well see what's what at The Combine.

I like JK as well. He's not undersized. At 5'9 and 217 he's right in there with compact backs all over the NFL like OAK's Jacobs (5'10, 220), CHI's Singletary (5'8, 203)... problem is that he got a lot of his yards in straight line bursts that are fewer and father between in the NFL. That said...

I don't see a R1 player... I see more R3/4. A couple decades ago he's probably a R2 talent.

One or two RBs in round 1 is pretty much the max now. Two years ago we saw 3 go, but that's an anomaly and while Saquon went early the other two went very late. You have to go back to 2008 to find more than three-R1 RBs in a draft.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I don’t see it this season. we have three teams ahead of us that need QBS at 1,5 and 6 and this is basically a 3 QB draft Burrow, Herbert and Tua and honestly I see Tua taking a dive. 

two teams just behind us won’t take a QB Jets and Raiders but after that 13,14,15, and 16 all need QBs.  Any of those teams can trade up and 12 is great spot for that to get just ahead of the pack.

if Hebert falls past the Dolphins and Chargers we have a shot but at that point any number of teams that don’t need a QB from 7-12 have the same shot.   Gonna be a buyers market 

For starters I do not see Tua falling far at all. Every report was that the surgery went well so I expect he'll be medically cleared by most teams.

So for me the question becomes, "How many 'can't pass' players are there in this draft?" At first take starting with Burrow that looks like 8-10 to me, so those in front of us are less likely to trade back due to FOMO.

We could be the first team to seriously entertain offers.

And apparently there is a third OT starting to make some top ten noise... at least according to PFF... BAMA's OT Jedrick Wills...

"Wills has been a rocketship up draft boards this season — and for good reason. Wills improved by leaps and bounds, even as the season went along. He allowed 11 pressures all season but only one in his last five games."

39 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And apparently there is a third OT starting to make some top ten noise... at least according to PFF... BAMA's OT Jedrick Wills...

"Wills has been a rocketship up draft boards this season — and for good reason. Wills improved by leaps and bounds, even as the season went along. He allowed 11 pressures all season but only one in his last five games."

I have the week off for the holiday and a good friend of mine mentioned him at the bar Saturday.  Already watched some pieces of what I could find.

He had my curiosity, but now he has my attention. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

He's listed somewhere as an OG... RT.... but I go back and read up after you mention him, and you really have to LIKE the kid, plus, he has really been pass blocking at a very high level. I read where Wirfs' feet were just a bit questionable, but not Wills'. Now, his draft stock is rising fast. Just can't go into next season with Robinson at LT. Maybe Rt... eh...

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

For starters I do not see Tua falling far at all. Every report was that the surgery went well so I expect he'll be medically cleared by most teams.

So for me the question becomes, "How many 'can't pass' players are there in this draft?" At first take starting with Burrow that looks like 8-10 to me, so those in front of us are less likely to trade back due to FOMO.

We could be the first team to seriously entertain offers.

He looks good!  At 10 I don’t want a solid guy he looks like he could be elite.  Very athletic for a big dude.  Actually looks a lot like Wirfs.  

Tua may or may not drop.  But the fact remains there are a ton of teams in the Top 12 that seemingly have their QB spot accounted for - I don’t know how this fact would contribute to a sellers market.  The Raiders spot at 12 could be a hot spot if a QB falls because you have a host of teams just behind them that could use a QB.  The Chargers are a great spot for Tua they could convince Rivers to stay for one year and they have pretty good roster that they can take a chance on a guy.  Unless they elect to go Fouts 2.0 with Herbert. 

and then I see guys like Jerry Jeudy and cedee lamb as top 10 guys- Sorry but these guys aren’t WR1 types.  I think there are a few diamonds but for the most part Burrow and Young are ahead in this class then you have a few diamonds and bunch of good with a solid floor types in the first round 

I would keep an eye on the Clemson - LSU game to see the two safeties from each team, Simmons and Delpit. I've seen more of Delpit and he is a hitter/sure tackler with CB speed/abilities. I like him because he is always around the ball. The OT's may be gone by then and I think he may still be there as BPA in a need position for the Browns.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I would keep an eye on the Clemson - LSU game to see the two safeties from each team, Simmons and Delpit. I've seen more of Delpit and he is a hitter/sure tackler with CB speed/abilities. I like him because he is always around the ball. The OT's may be gone by then and I think he may still be there as BPA in a need position for the Browns.

Simmons is a LB.  Probably more of complete skill set than what we have with Joe Show and Mack Wilson.

i agree on OTs there are a couple I like but we don’t need to just take one at 10 if those guys are gone 

59 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Simmons is a LB.  Probably more of complete skill set than what we have with Joe Show and Mack Wilson.

i agree on OTs there are a couple I like but we don’t need to just take one at 10 if those guys are gone 

But he is also a safety. 4.36 speed. With outstanding athletic skills. The next defensive CO would dearly love to have a weapon like him. I already have picked him in the first round for the Browns in my dumb three round mock, that won't change.

He is the read deal, imho. I can't imagine picking any other player in the first round if he's even there.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/05/isaiah-simmons/

Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons is a freak athlete, Better take notes NFL scouts

transitioned to lb from safety - could start at safety in the pros, I think.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/21/2020-nfl-mock-draft-denver-broncos-select-clemson-isaiah-simmons/

In his latest three-round 2020 NFL mock draft for Draft Wire, Luke Easterling has the Denver Broncos selecting Clemson linebacker Isaiah Simmons with the 10th overall pick in the first round. Here is Easterling’s commentary with the selection:

This defense needs a three-down playmaker at the second level, and this pick would be the perfect fit. Simmons is a rare athlete and a versatile defender who can matchup with the best player on any offense, making him the kind of guy opposing offenses have to scheme for on a weekly basis.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

CBS and Drafttek both have him being drafted as a safety. Either way it should be very interesting to watch both players in the NC game.

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

CBS and Drafttek both have him being drafted as a safety. Either way it should be very interesting to watch both players in the NC game.

He isn't fluid enough to play safety full time.   Tweener in every sense of the word but that works in the modern NFL.   He's an off-ball WILL backer.   See, run, get.  

As for my comments on Jedrick Willis above - I wrapped up watching Bama vs SCar last night.    I honestly don't know how I feel about the kid now.    Be curious to see how he measures out at the combine. Specifically - his wingspan/arm length.

4 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

He isn't fluid enough to play safety full time.   Tweener in every sense of the word but that works in the modern NFL.   He's an off-ball WILL backer.   See, run, get.  

As for my comments on Jedrick Willis above - I wrapped up watching Bama vs SCar last night.    I honestly don't know how I feel about the kid now.    Be curious to see how he measures out at the combine. Specifically - his wingspan/arm length.

He was actually 20 yards off the ball playing free safety on his INT against OSU Saturday night. He Read Fields like a book and broke like wild man on the ball.

I agree I bring him on the edge more than I have him playing center field at the next level.  He could be a versatile weapon though.