THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Check.

Only  1  town left. 

back at ya..Raleigh also has a pro soccer team... Where would you rank soccer? after your 4 major sports groups?... ahead of Nascar and or the PGA?

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

back at ya..Raleigh also has a pro soccer team... Where would you rank soccer? after your 4 major sports groups?... ahead of Nascar and or the PGA?

Soccer?  Still a minor league team sport at this point. Maybe some day.   Wholly different from PGA or NASCAR, as those are individual sports, not team sports....as a general rule. 

51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Holy smokes. That's crazy. 

Montreal Canadiennes last title.....last Canadian title.   From the end of WWII....1945 until  1993 with that last Canadian/Canadiennes  title,  out of 48 years,   Canadian teams won 34 out of 48 titles.     None in the 27 years since. 

They HAVE had their chances:  Calgary Flames were in the  2004 Finals...lost.  Edmonton was in the 2006 Finals....lost.  Ottawa was in the 2007 Finals....lost.  Vancouver was in the 2011 Finals....lost. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

No Canadian winners since 1993. 

I remember watching teams both Canadian and Northern American teams that were bought out and relocated mainly because of better financial deals particularly:

Minnesota North Stars became the Dallas Stars

Winnipeg Jets became the Arizona Coyotes

Hartford Whalers became the Carolina Hurricanes

All of the departing cities put up valiant fights to keep their teams, we can understand that.  One payback:

Atlanta Thrashers became the Winnipeg Jets..... again.

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I remember watching teams both Canadian and Northern American teams that were bought out and relocated mainly because of better financial deals particularly:

Minnesota North Stars became the Dallas Stars

Winnipeg Jets became the Arizona Coyotes

Hartford Whalers became the Carolina Hurricanes

All of the departing cities put up valiant fights to keep their teams, we can understand that.  One payback:

Atlanta Thrashers became the Winnipeg Jets..... again.

Quebec Nordiques became Colorado Avalanche.  

And remember this:   California Golden Seals  became>>>>>Cleveland Barons which became>>>>>Minnesota North Stars which became>>>>>Dallas Stars. 

And Kansas City Scouts became Colorado Rockies became  New Jersey Devils.

Atlanta Flames became  Calgary Flames.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Quebec Nordiques became Colorado Avalanche.  

And remember this:   California Golden Seals  became>>>>>Cleveland Barons which became>>>>>Minnesota North Stars which became>>>>>Dallas Stars. 

And Kansas City Scouts became Colorado Rockies became  New Jersey Devils.

Atlanta Flames became  Calgary Flames.

It happens in every sport, part of the fabric of sports.  I did think the Barons had an interesting story.

Here is today's Trivia Question.  I entitle it "One Horse Towns".    This applies to the 4 major Sports:  NFL/NHL/NBA/MLB.

There are  16 cities in North America that can be considerd "One Horse Towns"  in that they have only 1 single major league sports franchise in the 4 major sports located there.      Hint:  to ease your effort,   6 of them are Canadian NHL teams. 

Answers.   You got them all but one or two I see...there was actually another of these that I missed.:

Canadian cities:

Vancouver

Edmonton

Calgary

Winnipeg

Ottawa

Montreal

All with NHL teams only   (Toronto is only city with  NBA/MLB team)

US Cities:

Portland  NBA

Sacramento  NBA

San Diego  MLB

Salt Lake City  NBA

San Antonio NBA

Oklahoma City  NBA

Green Bay  NFL

Columbus  NHL

Memphis  NBA

Jacksonville  NFL

Orlando  NBA

Raleigh  NHL

In the NHL,   8 of the now 32 teams (release the Seattle Kraken)  are the only game in town in those cities.    1/4th 

In the NBA,  7 of the 30 teams are the only game in town.   23.33%.

Only San Diego now has just baseball, after the Chargers and Clippers left

Only Jacksonville, and the special case of Green Bay have just NFL 

I was going to save this one until tomorrow, but you all knocked out most of the other question today in short order that I will go ahead with this.

This will be a little different....not just one question, but a number of them.    All about Browns history:   Here you go:

1. How many seasons will the Browns now have played, including 2020?

2. How many championships have the Browns won?

3. How many Conference titles have they won?

4. How many times have the Browns finished First?

5.  How many times have the Browns played in the postseason?

6. How many coaches have the Browns had in their history...including Stefanski,   but not including interim coaches?

7. How many times has a Browns coach won coach of the year.  Which coaches?

8. How many times has a Browns player won the MVP award.   Which players

9. How many times has a Browns player won the Rookie of the Year?  Which players?

10. How many times has a Browns player won  Defensive Player of the Year award?  Which player?

11. How many times has a Browns player won the Offensive Player of the Year Award?  Which Players?

12.  Who will be the next Browns player or coach to win any of these Awards? 

15 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Both Correct.  

Only 2 left. 

But I will give you one of those.....The Bay Area...which is considered one market, but which has teams with the names of 3 cities: SFO, Oakland, San Jose.

So just one left. 

Lol...I was going to say SF but figured it was technically a "no"

Here is Today's Question.    It is the other side of the coin from yesterday's. 

There are 13  US cities that have a team in ALL 4   major sports,  NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA.      Name them. 

Answers:

SFO Bay area

Los Angeles

Phoenix

Denver

Dallas

Minnesota

Chicago

Detroit

Miami

Washington DC

Philadelphia

New York

Boston

.....as noted above, Atlanta at one time had all 4, but no more.   I you included  Tampa Bay/Orlando as a single market, then they would too. (they are not counted as such....but they are only 85 miles apart. 

I think the powers that be must think that we in the Cleveland area should get on board with the Columbus Bluejackets for NHL ....but, really,  if you are from around here, how many people do you know that  root for the Columbus NHL team.  I literally know of no one.  Its not like the Buckeyes...at all.    I don't know what the people of Cincinnati think about it..  About 105 mile distance.  

Milwaukee is only 92 miles from Chicago.....and they have their own NBA and MLB teams....and rest assured the vast majority of people there are Packer fans even though Green Bay is further away than Chicago.   I suspect their attitude to Chicago Blackhawks is about the same as ours is to Columbus.  Worse probably, because unlike Cleveland/Columbus, there are legit sports rivalries between Chicago and Milwaukee.  It would be like us being asked to root for the Pittsburgh Penguins.  NO one here roots for the Pittsburgh hockey teams, except maybe a few queefs from Youngstown maybe. 

I do know that the owner of the Portland Trailblazers and the Seattle Seahawks are the same:   (Estate of late Paul Allen)....and I know that that owner expect each city to root for the other cities team.....but I don't know how in reality that works out.   I think Portland may be more interested in their soccer team than the Seattle football team.