THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft rounds 2 and 3

darren15

I'd say Woods likes the length tangibles of Delpit over Winfield..am not surprised with the Delpit pick..football car crashes cause injuries..come ready to tackle woods school of tackling    

10 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

High ankle sprain all year-  I wonder if the tackling issues existed in 18

10 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Thought he looked weak but it maybe his height.  He’s got speed but see him more as a DB and less of a safety.  To me the opposite of Peppers

8 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

I absolutely Love Delpit. Yes he had a lot of missed tackles this year but last year he was an absolute tackling machine.  He also plays the ball in the air incredibly well and is a great "center fielder"

To me he is the essential "not a liability but not a home run hitter". 

He's consistent and not really 'stand out'.  Tackles well enough, but sometimes takes wonky angles.  He understands and processes what's in front of him, but that split second which makes the difference between good play and great play isn't always there.    Like I said, it's a fine line between love and hate.  I'm neutral on this pick and willing to see what happens.

The eye discipline is there, the physical traits are there.  It's up to him to improve the mental and polish the footwork.

edit: There was a play, I think vs Bama, when I watched him earlier that I LOVED his pre-snap recognition.  I'll try to find it again.

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Clay pool don’t like him and he’s a notre dame guy.  Perfect.

i thought for sure it was Baun - reeks of Steeler or type of guy that they draft 

Oh lord you are right about Baun and the Steelers. 

My thoughts on Delpit from a few months back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 15th

Delpit is an enigma to me.  Good size, good speed, some eye discipline there.  But I think when you combine the lack of "Wow" moments with some injury history this season then you get something of a free fall.    He may end up being one of those "steady" pro's who drops a round.  

Jan 5th

1 - I really don't separate the classic 'strong v free' in the modern NFL.    At this point I look at skill sets vs usage.

2 - haven't watched enough to make that strong of an opinion yet.  Gut feeling?   I need OT addressed or the players I want gone before I would consider spending #10 on Delpit.   Browns are in prime position for a quality trade down, in all honesty.

(ended up getting OT, a trade down AND Delpit)

Jan 5th again

Grant Delpit might be chocolate Hitman Harry.     6'2 203.   Kid has the frame to fill out and put on a little more 'good' mass.   But when I watch him I see more of that tweener role and less of a pure deep middle man.    Although I admit he has solid eye discipline and good range, I just think his footwork needs some serious cleaning up before I make him my secondary general.    I wasn't fond of the idea of matching him with Randall, but after watching two games this morning.... I'm warming up to the possibility.

ust playing physical down low off the edge in a 33 look.      This is the part of his game that I think leads the way at the moment.   Kid loves to come down and hit.  He's tall, good arm length, good first step when he plants and drives.  Like I said, he clearly has a frame that hasn't finished filling out which he'll need at the next level.   But I see the tools this year in a few of these cutups that jumped off screen in 2018.    I was worried the kid might be Eric Reid, but he appears better in coverage.  That said, he's no Jamal Adams downlow, but few safety's are.     I see a high ceiling but,  god willing at worst, I see a solid football player who won't hurt your team.   This kid looks like what many fans wanted Redwine to be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, I'm willing to roll with this pick and see what Woods has in store for him.

5 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Interesting - according to Delpit he "fixed" the tackling issue late last season.

If "the angle" was the problem, then why the "hopefully"?

"The angle had a lot to do with it. Like I said, I battled through injury (last) year," he said. "But that's not the whole reason. Got it fixed toward the end of the season and hopefully it won't be a problem anymore."