THE BROWNS BOARD

AFC Playoff Picture

Zombo

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:
PLAYOFF MATCHUPS
Note:  As of now plus these will not change even if the Bills lose tonight, or even if the Ravens win tomorrow:
#7  Indianapolis at #2 Kansas City
#6 Miami at #3 Buffalo
#5 Cleveland at  #4 Tennessee
Pittsburgh:  Bye

#7 Minnesota at #2 Green Bay
# 6 Tampa Bay at #3 LA RAms
#5 Seattle at #4 NY Giants
New Orleans:  Bye

Wonder what the tiebreaker is if the now 11-1 Steelers and Chiefs wind up with the identical record? Head to head- but they don't play. Conference record?  

I don't believe in the miracle that the Browns can catch (or even pass them) for the Division. It starts with us winning out- and getting some very unlikely help on top of it. Or a total Steeler fold. 

Miami still has to play the Bills- so that could definitely change things. 

Regarding our upcoming MNF game with the Ratbirds. That's going to be their season- they know it, and will treat it like a playoff game. A loss to the Browns and it's pretty much over for them. 

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Wonder what the tiebreaker is if the now 11-1 Steelers and Chiefs wind up with the identical record? Head to head- but they don't play. Conference record?  

I don't believe in the miracle that the Browns can catch (or even pass them) for the Division. It starts with us winning out- and getting some very unlikely help on top of it. Or a total Steeler fold. 

Miami still has to play the Bills- so that could definitely change things. 

Regarding our upcoming MNF game with the Ratbirds. That's going to be their season- they know it, and will treat it like a playoff game. A loss to the Browns and it's pretty much over for them. 

I do believe it is conference record.  The Squibs would still have the advantage because their loss now was to an NFC team, whereas  Chiefs lost to Raiders in the AFC. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I'd still rather face the Bills...

Beating an opponent twice is hard... especially one with playoff experience, something the Bills do not have.

Bills lost in the playoffs last year and I believe Josh Allen started another game his rookie year in the playoffs or maybe that was their other QB at the time.

I think we can beat either team.  I think we had a sound game plan against the Titans should we meet again they will make adjustments but their back 7 was in a world of hurt against us we should be able to go to that well again.  They couldn’t get any pressure on Baker.  

I want to play the teams trending downwards right now and I got to say the Bills looked pretty sharp last night 

19 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Bills lost in the playoffs last year and I believe

You are correct, sir... Bills lost WC games on the road in 2019 and 2017 to HOU and JAX respectively.

And it was Tyrod that started in 2017. Allen was drafted in 2018.

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think we can beat either team.  I think we had a sound game plan against the Titans should we meet again they will make adjustments but their back 7 was in a world of hurt against us we should be able to go to that well again.  They couldn’t get any pressure on Baker.  

Apparently they cannot muster up pressure against anyone, they have a grand total of 14 sacks all season. Barely over 1 a game. 

The Ravens finally got their freebie with Dallas in, after the NFL made sure the game was delayed long enough that the reigning MVP was able to play, and we can finally put Week 13 to Bed:

image.png

The Browns host the Ravens on Monday Night, and Vegas currently has it as a "pick'em". It is a HUGE game in all regards for the Browns ... their only real path the the AFC North Crown and a chance to "put the Ravens away" from interfering with the Browns Wild Card chances. Big one, folks.

Other games with Implications:

1. Pittsburgh at Buffalo. As Myles said, the Steelers may have "opened the door" for the Browns in the AFC North ... but this week holds the key, a Steeler loss and a Browns win and things are more than interesting. GO BILLS!

2. Kansas City at Miami. Well catching Pittsburgh AND Kansas City is a nice dream ... realistically we'd rather see the Phins take another L. GO CHIEFS!

3. Indianapolis at Vegas. The good news is, that someone is going to lose here. I kinda feel like I'd like to see the Colts hand the Raiders their 6th loss, since they have that looming tiebreaker over us ... but there is no bad result here. Go Poor Play!

4. Tennessee at Jacksonville. I feel the Jags have one shocker in the bag, maybe it's this week. GO JAGS!

Zombo

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

1. Pittsburgh at Buffalo. As Myles said, the Steelers may have "opened the door" for the Browns in the AFC North ... but this week holds the key, a Steeler loss and a Browns win and things are more than interesting. GO BILLS!

I'm still in the rather face the Bills Camp, so I am willing to forego interesting things.

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

2. Kansas City at Miami. Well catching Pittsburgh AND Kansas City is a nice dream ... realistically we'd rather see the Phins take another L. GO CHIEFS!

I've got my eye on the current 10th seed that's quietly making a move so I'm going to defer rooting either way until I see the result of TNF,  Pats @ Rams.

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

3. Indianapolis at Vegas. The good news is, that someone is going to lose here. I kinda feel like I'd like to see the Colts hand the Raiders their 6th loss, since they have that looming tiebreaker over us ... but there is no bad result here. Go Poor Play!

I'm thinking tie... :) but then I always look for a coin to land on edge...

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

4. Tennessee at Jacksonville. I feel the Jags have one shocker in the bag, maybe it's this week. GO JAGS!

Since I want the Bills gotta go with TN here.

Other than that.... we agree.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:40 PM, Tour2ma said:

I'm still in the rather face the Bills Camp, so I am willing to forego interesting things.

I've got my eye on the current 10th seed that's quietly making a move so I'm going to defer rooting either way until I see the result of TNF,  Pats @ Rams.

I'm thinking tie... :) but then I always look for a coin to land on edge...

Since I want the Bills gotta go with TN here.

Other than that.... we agree.

The Patsies have a tough row to hoe after the Rams game. Bills and Dolphins.  They almost have to run the table. MHO is 9-7 isn't going to get it done this year. 

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

The Patsies have a tough row to hoe after the Rams game. Bills and Dolphins.  They almost have to run the table. MHO is 9-7 isn't going to get it done this year. 

If the Pats lose tonight I believe they are done, like you said 9-7 won't get you in. Go Rams!

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

So much for the Patriots...

Z

Thankfully- they've already won more than their share for the next 20 years. Them steamrolling the Chargers was an aberration, how coaches get fired. 

Rams D was impressive.  :)  

• Upvote 1

For all of you who believed that the Patriots success was mainly due to the coaching genius of Bill Belichick here is what I say:

Shut the Fuck Up.

BB is a good coach that can take a team to playoffs, occasionally....but it was Brady that made them a championship team. 

The fact is,  when he has not had Brady his coaching record is  2 winning seasons and  6 losing seasons. 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

For all of you who believed that the Patriots success was mainly due to the coaching genius of Bill Belichick here is what I say:

Shut the Fuck Up.

BB is a good coach that can take a team to playoffs, occasionally....but it was Brady that made them a championship team. 

The fact is,  when he has not had Brady his coaching record is  2 winning seasons and  6 losing seasons. 

I don’t know their roster isn’t good due to opt outs on D and being too young overall with a never was playing QB.  They were hyped because of their name and the level of excellence they attained because of two people. 

if BelliCheat can get them to 8-8 with what they had this year that’s playing up to potential.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I don’t know their roster isn’t good due to opt outs on D and being too young overall with a never was playing QB.  They were hyped because of their name and the level of excellence they attained because of two people. 

if BelliCheat can get them to 8-8 with what they had this year that’s playing up to potential.  

Yea, but the so called "greatest coach of all time"  is supposed to have a team playing up to more than its potential...isn't he?

So, what you are saying is that by getting his team to play up to its potential just makes him another run of the mill  football coach. 

Brady left because the offense no longer has any talent. They can't draft a WR to save their lives and that's on Belichick because he runs the whole show.

But to bash him for having a mediocre year after a 20 year power run that included 6 Super Bowls and 9 AFC Champiinships seems a bit bizarre, Gip, coaching Super Bowl teams is a lot more than having the right QB.

Don Shula never won a Super Bowl while he had Dan Marino, but still was undoubtedly a great coach. Belichick won six with Brady! Tom Brady was not the architect of the defenses, or the offenses for that matter, and he didn't bring in and coach the other 52 guys that helped win those championships,  Belichick did.

They are both All-time Greats. Just like Paul Brown and Otto Graham. Paul never won a championship with any other QB by the way ... was he run of the mill too?

Z

- Belichick bang your wife?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, but the so called "greatest coach of all time"  is supposed to have a team playing up to more than its potential...isn't he?

So, what you are saying is that by getting his team to play up to its potential just makes him another run of the mill  football coach. 

Everybody wants to assign responsibility for their past success-  was it Bill or was it Brady-  it was both.  I don’t know if Bill is the greatest of all time but Bill and Brady teamed up to be one of the greatest QB Coach combos of all time. 

NE goes from a top 6-7 QB to a bottom 6-7 QB...in a QB driven league.  Were expectations too wild?  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Brady left because the offense no longer has any talent. They can't draft a WR to save their lives and that's on Belichick because he runs the whole show.

But to bash him for having a mediocre year after a 20 year power run that included 6 Super Bowls and 9 AFC Champiinships seems a bit bizarre, Gip, coaching Super Bowl teams is a lot more than having the right QB.

So? It is bizarre.......but it was so absolutely coincidental that losing Brady is when he started losing?   I think not.  

Don Shula never won a Super Bowl while he had Dan Marino, but still was undoubtedly a great coach. Belichick won six with Brady! Tom Brady was not the architect of the defenses, or the offenses for that matter, and he didn't bring in and coach the other 52 guys that helped win those championships,  Belichick did.

They are both All-time Greats. Just like Paul Brown and Otto Graham. Paul never won a championship with any other QB by the way ... was he run of the mill too?

Well....there may be a plausible argument for that.....except that  PB did get to an NFL title game without OG.  And without OG  he had  6 out of 7 winning seasons (with the Browns) ....where BB has had 6 out of 8 losing seasons without Brady. 

Those are just the facts. 

Z

- Belichick bang your wife?

No, but I still hold him partially responsible for the "move" situation....and the mess this team has been in since then.   He poisoned things around here between the team and the fans.  Sure, he is not primarily responsible, but I think he played a part. 

And as far a PB and the Bengals are concerned,  He did take them from a raw expansion team to a winning team in their third year.  And with them he was 5-3 in terms of winning vs. losing seasons.  Again, a raw expansion team.  

And the one coach that I think really has to be given great respect is Joe Gibbs.  He won SBs with  Mark Rypien, Joe Theisman and Doug Williams.

28 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Everybody wants to assign responsibility for their past success-  was it Bill or was it Brady-  it was both.  I don’t know if Bill is the greatest of all time but Bill and Brady teamed up to be one of the greatest QB Coach combos of all time. 

NE goes from a top 6-7 QB to a bottom 6-7 QB...in a QB driven league.  Were expectations too wild?  

It is certainly fair to say that they were a great combination....one of the greatest of all time, sure.  (I am going to carry this to another thread) 

But it is also fair to point out his record without Brady. 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It is certainly fair to say that they were a great combination....one of the greatest of all time, sure.  (I am going to carry this to another thread) 

But it is also fair to point out his record without Brady. 

Sure and don’t forget he won with Vinny T and he won with Matt Cassel both playoff teams 

34 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Sure and don’t forget he won with Vinny T and he won with Matt Cassel both playoff teams 

Well, those are the two seasons he had a winning record without Brady.   But, he also had losing seasons with Vinny..and others.  So, OK, he can have a winning season with a decent QB, even be a playoff coach. I am just saying that without Brady...he has never challenged for a title. We did win a playoff game with him and Vinny...but then got stomped pretty good by  Bill Cowher and....Neil O'Donnell? 

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, those are the two seasons he had a winning record without Brady.   But, he also had losing seasons with Vinny..and others.  So, OK, he can have a winning season with a decent QB, even be a playoff coach. I am just saying that without Brady...he has never challenged for a title. We did win a playoff game with him and Vinny...but then got stomped pretty good by  Bill Cowher and....Neil O'Donnell? 

I am being serious here...I admire the fact that you are arguing against one of the greatest coaches of all time.  

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I am being serious here...I admire the fact that you are arguing against one of the greatest coaches of all time.  

Well, that is the appearance, based on his record with Tom Brady....

And he is/can be a good coach.....but there are a dozen or more coaches in history that I believe are better.  

Lambeau/Halas/Landry/PB/Walsh/Noll/Gibbs/Shula/Lombardi/Parcells/Holmgren/Ewbank/Madden/Jimmy Johnson/Cowher  and I may even consider putting Andy Reid in there.  

So, really, I think I put him in about the 10-15 range.  (along with like Marty and some others)

And, let's face it, while I don't really think it is a major factor....you can't ignore how much cheating he has been caught doing. 

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

The patriots did have the stars to make the offense work, and the defense that worked, granted.

Ah... but rarely at the same time.

The genius of Belichick is that he has coached teams that won multiple ways... both with a record-setting passing attack and with a league-leading Defense paired to a strong ground game . The only constant throughout has been the excellence of the Pats' STs, a Bill B. trademark.

As SdB pointed out this year Bill got caught talent-short in no small part to the Pat Covid opt-outs which included 4 starters. Pretty long list of IR players as well.

As for QB... not sure how it would have turned out, but it's worth remembering that Kraft overruled Bill when the decision had to be made to retain TB12 or move on to Jimmy G. Kraft went with his heart.

Someone tell, Gip that TB12 ain't exactly lighting it up with the Bucs...