THE BROWNS BOARD

Anderson looking like the starter tonight

DieHardBrownsFan

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm so sick of this 'BQ Fags' and 'DA Fags' thing, and I can't believe there's people in this thread trying to say DA had a bad game.

just give us a winner at the QB position and I don't give a damn who it is, however I am a bit concerned about DA's consistency so if he can do what he did against detroit next week against tennessee I'll be convinced, Quinn looks more consistent though.

What do you call no TD passes and an interception?

DA looked great out there but lets keep in mind its only detroit and they are still the worst team in the league....we also should keep in mind DA has a tendancy to play hot and cold last night he was hotter than hell and BQ was the one making questionable calls at the line...

The competition has tightened and i still think mangini has the hots for DA and last nights game is all he was waiting for thus dooming us to another year of hot and cold quarterbacking...;)

I find it sad when people i thought were Browns fans start sounding like a Steeler fans.

It is sickening the way some of you sound.

u tell em peener.

We all needed a good tongue lashing from the peens.

Strong, strong opening drive from DA.

Then the defense adjusted and his rating dropped from 116 -> 63. In a half. Classic DA.

But man, that opening drive was pretty. Wonder how much of the intensity/ mojo was from Cribbs taking one to the house on the opening kick off? I'd guess quite a bit, especially since he took a punt to the cooker about 5 minutes after that.

There's your MVP by the way.

I thought the game proved nothing, from the QB standpoint.

For DA:

-We know he is really inconsistant. Last week bad, this week good.

-We know his short passes are not good. One at the feet and then the rifle to JD resulting in the int.

-We know he can can have a good looking drive now and then

-We know he is a nervous wreck in the 2-minute drill

-We know he's lousy at clock management

-We know he is not fleet of foot.

For Quinn:

-We still don't know how he'll do if given the reigns for a season. Will he grow, or will he be figured out.

As a team, this was an uplifting game. As far as QB's go, the big picture is a draw.

I think he can go 10-5 over 15 games. I think he can throw 29 TD passes in one year.

I think he is a 25 year old QB with one of the best arms in the NFL.

I also think he is inconsistent and that Quinn would beat him out by now.

I was wrong.

Zombo

So let me ask what makes THIS Detroit massacre following 0-16 any different than the one Quinn provided in 2007 without any training camp reps before it? If we're using your criteria - it looked like Quinn WON the training camp job based on the Detroit Game. However, RAC's first 2 choices were the 2 knuckleheads that combined to throw 1 TD pass in 4 preseason games inspite of dominating the reps with the first team.

Understanding you've now provided 2 consecutive post game analyses without watching either game - let's take a closer look:

Wright gave Dumb Ass the ball at the Detroit 5 yard line and we needed a FG. Now that's MOVING the offense. Cribbs returns a punt 84 yards for a TD and some people want to borrow Loverboy's knee pads and go bobblehead on DA. Let's not get all pleasantly surprised DA was able to do what alot of mediocre starters and backups did to Detroit. If we're making Detroit our barometer for who should start all of a sudden - we're only inviting more Steeleahds to remind us we can't play Detroit every week. Evidently DA was able to have one of those false positives an 0-16 team provides. As last year showed - we didn't start out with opponents like Detroit. We played Dallas and scored 10 points, then we played Pittsburgh and scored 6 points, then we played Baltimore and scored 10 points. Later we played Indy and repeated the 6 point outburst over 60 minutes that some of us have lowered the standards of acceptability for. They didn't seem to care what Dumb Ass did to an 07 schedule that featured 10 candyasses averaging 4-5 wins apiece. It was up to DA to prove he could PROGRESS with that starting opportunity over 27 games. If he DID, there's a happy consensus we found our next Brian Sipe to make us FORGET there's a Mike Phipps not justifying a 1st round draft slot.

For those that don't understand this, RAC & Savage got fired for drafting a QB in round 1 and leaving the fans looking at the alternative starting us out with a 3-6 record the next season. When we beat the NEXT AFC team able to win more than 8 games it will mark the very 1st time DA has been able to do so in what would/could be his 4th year of starts in Cleveland. How is that impressive?

Folks, if you want the face of the Cleveland Browns to have a football IQ smaller than his shoe size - then God bless ya. There really hasn't been much evidence that teams will be as willing as our crapy opponents in 07 to boycott the scouting reports and film of DA. Even Cincy avenged their loss to DA by overwhelming him with 4 backbreaking INTs. Our DA fans here blamed Jim Sorgi and became the first group of people to say Tony Dungy lacked class.

Here's a polar extreme on accepting starting QBs. You STILL have too many PHILLY fans that hate McNabb for not being the Ricky Williams who would later choose a marijuana sebatical over football. And NOW you have a bunch of Cleveland fans that don't care what DA does with the rest of his starts because he was better than Charlie Frye and he beat a bunch of Detroit types in 2007. Doesn't matter if he ever comes out of the funk of playing like a dumb rookie.

- Tom F.

I find it sad when people i thought were Browns fans start sounding like a Steeler fans.

It is sickening the way some of you sound.

I think it's important that SOME of our fans can hang with the cognitive ability that points out we can't play Detroit for 16 consecutive weeks.

Otherwise, we're gonna be just as shocked/disappointed to start out 0-3 again while averaging 8 points a game in the process.

- Tom F.

So let me ask what makes THIS Detroit massacre following 0-16 any different than the one Quinn provided in 2007 without any training camp reps before it? If we're using your criteria - it looked like Quinn WON the training camp job based on the Detroit Game.

That makes no sense at all. What's my criteria? What are you even talking about?

Did I declare that Anderson "won" something last night? Are you responding to the wrong poster?

Go through the thread again and find things I actually said and respond to those if you must.

Again, I apologize for liking both Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson and wanting them both to do well.

Zombo

--is this Bizarro Browns Board?

I think it's important that SOME of our fans can hang with the cognitive ability that points out we can't play Detroit for 16 consecutive weeks.

Otherwise, we're gonna be just as shocked/disappointed to start out 0-3 again with an average fo 8 points a game on offense.

- Tom F.

I get that Tom....and there is a good chance we do that no matter who plays qb.

But...I do think that offensively we will play better for one main reason....Mangini.

I honestly don't think he will keep marching the same guys out there week after week if they aren't getting it done the way RAC did...be it Quinn, DA, Lewis, or Joe Thomas.

Mangini doesn't seem to play favorites and seems more interested in production than soothing some veterans ego.

Zombo stop wasting your time typing. The BQ bandwagoneers are pissed about last night plain and simple and were SEARCHING HARD for anything...

I like the who 2 minute drill bs... he had about 1 minute with a 20 point lead had a tip int after throwing for over 100 yards in one quarter leading to scores.....

AVERAGE that out over terrible Detroit and he would have had a MONSTER game.... BQ I think would have had a good game also probably not as many yards but the same result.

Notice those same BQ fans dont talk about the near tip linebacker int that BQ almost threw when they mention DA.... neither was a terrible read or a forced play it was just how the ball happened to fall.

Seriously I am more concerned with the odd offensive playcalling from last week for DA was handed to BQ this week. I know it is preseason and I suspect it was situational to expose the QBs for review, but still odd. ST. Clair better be running some laps for blowing up BQ's decent drive.

ON a good note START JAMES DAVIS.... he hits the holes instead of tap dancing and STILL HAS A BURST!!!!!

That makes no sense at all. What's my criteria? What are you even talking about?

Did I declare that Anderson "won" something last night? Are you responding to the wrong poster?

Zombo

--is this Bizarro Browns Board?

No I'm responding to your other personality that thinks he's Dr Detroit with in-depth power analyses on games he never sees.

Quit being a pussy straddling the fence all of a sudden. You know darn well you declared DA was not the answer after you inventoried popular opionion last Fall (immediately following Quinn's 2nd start that produced 30 points). I believe the purpose of your post was to declare "Quinn is the starter period." Ring a bell? Then magically, someone with administrative powers removed such a thread when I archived it 1 time too many this Spring. I'm sure if it ever resurfaces - it'll be all edited so you can maintain your straddle at the top of the fence.

WTF happened to you?

- Tom F.

Guest Masters
Notice those same BQ fans dont talk about the near tip linebacker int that BQ almost threw when they mention DA.... neither was a terrible read or a forced play it was just how the ball happened to fall.

Night and day, night and day there. The Quinn play you refered to was a good read and a good throw. The LB had to jump and barely got a finger on the ball. The LB was able to tip it just enough that it became a tougher ball to catch (and then wasn't caught).

The DA INT was a good read/check down. The problem I have (and likely others) is two fold. First off the pocket step up by DA was just bad. He stepped right up into his lineman and the defender. Then he rockets the ball to to his check down RB. It is high and hard. There is no reason to throw the ball that hard from that distance. That is the issue. DA throws hard when he shouldn't, the ball sails, and ends up an INT.

One is how the ball happened to fall and one is sailing a ball that should have never been thrown as hard and resulted in a pick.

Then he rockets the ball to to his check down RB. It is high and hard. There is no reason to throw the ball that hard from that distance. Masters

DA seems to be a hard ball thrower, cannon arm, but his motion, is cannon ball. He doesn't seem to have developed an ability to control and adjust hit per circumstances.

it just seems to be his reaction, especially when he's in a hurry. It's a glaring weakness.

So let me ask what makes THIS Detroit massacre following 0-16 any different than the one Quinn provided in 2007 without any training camp reps before it?

it was against the starters rather than against the 4th string.

and it involved more than just screen passes and check downs.

Are there any Browns fans actually on this board?? :rolleyes:

I tell you what, that was the most exciting 5 minutes at the start of a game I have seen in a long time. It was awsome to see all three phases of our team click. It's just too bad that this is preseason and we didn't whoop em in the regular season.

To be completely honest, I think Quinn should be the starter. That's my personal opinion and one I beleive after being a season ticket holder and watching ever game. Notice I said watching, to comment on a game and not actually watch it, well that's just dumb, you shouldn't even be allowed to speak, let alone call yourself a browns fan.

It was nice to see the good DA for once, but we all know what's going to happen, it will be ups-downs constantly and we will lose games we should win.

Neverless, whoever is the starter, I am proud to be a Browns fan and will support either of those guys when it comes down to it.

Unlike many people here. <_<

Go Browns !!!

I have to give it to DA, he played well in the first quarter. Quinn didn't play well or poorly, he just kinda came in and left too quickly to do any damage either way.

At least he didn't go in there and throw up a nasty pick like DA did in his mini-stint in game 1.

I think if Mangini doesn't name Quinn the starter now he's just as bad as Romeo.

No I'm responding to your other personality that thinks he's Dr Detroit with in-depth power analyses on games he never sees.

Show me one play I've analyzed from that last night. Just one. Show me where I said something about how Derek Anderson performed or how Brady Quinn performed.

You can't do it, because I never analyzed the game.

Feel stupid yet?

Quit being a pussy straddling the fence all of a sudden. You know darn well you declared DA was not the answer after you inventoried popular opionion last Fall (immediately following Quinn's 2nd start that produced 30 points). I believe the purpose of your post was to declare "Quinn is the starter period." Ring a bell? Then magically, someone with administrative powers removed such a thread when I archived it 1 time too many this Spring. I'm sure if it ever resurfaces - it'll be all edited so you can maintain your straddle at the top of the fence.

WTF happened to you?

I'm not straddling any fences I'm stating my honest opinions and you are upset that I won't join you and the rest of the Quinn fags in tearing down Derek Anderson each week. It looks like a lot of fun, but I got nothing against the kid: He's a good guy, he's talented, he has potential .... I've said over and over and over that I think Quinn will win the job by being more consistent than Anderson. It hasn't happened yet. It's not my fault, Flugsie.

As for your conspiracy theories I've never had a football thread removed. You don't have to be an administrator to have your threads or posts removed ... you can just delete them. I haven't deleted anything. Are your feelings hurt that I said "Quinn's the starter, let's move on" last year ... and then he performed poorly in his last two starts and and a whole new coaching staff took over ... one that is making him win the job on merit?

I don't get what is going on here. The Quinn guys are all upset and pissy this morning after a nice team performance ... and you apparently feel you have to get all tough guy with me because I still show support for the guy that started at QB in that game.

Whatever. Maybe you guys will stop being bitchy and faggy when a QB starter gets named. In the meantime I'm going to go about the business of being a Cleveland Browns fan

I'm excited we moved the ball and scored, I'm excited about some defense, I'm excited about James Davis ... you can act like a jilted prom date all you want ... I'm going to keep on observing the Mangini era from my own perspective.

Zombo

Guest Masters
and it involved more than just screen passes and check downs.

Well one of those we know DA struggled with against DET ;)

It was a preseason game. DA did what Quinn did the week before. Moved the ball and made some good throws. DA got to see the zone coverage that we already knew he could exploit and did.

I think Zombo is catching heat he shouldn't. All along he has been pretty consistent and arbitrary on the QBs. I like DA too as a person but his inconsistency is frustrating. I think where I disagree with Z is he is willing to give DA another opportunity and needs to see more from Quinn. I disagree with the former and agree with the latter. Quinn hasn't done a ton to win. I wantto see more.

Zombo is a huge Browns fan and not a fag of either QB. He takes the right approach. But I am sour on DA because he sucks you in like last night and then drops a poop log the next.

I'm glad Quinn showed us how to follow up a dropped pass in the end zone last week.

"Derek Anderson started and went 6-of-9 for 119 yards in the first quarter including completions of 39 yards to Braylon Edwards, 24 yards to Mohamed Massaquoi and 20 to Cribbs. He finished 8-of-13 for 130 yards and was intercepted by William James in the closing seconds of the first half on a pass that went off Davis' hands and led to the field goal that provided the Lions' first points."

Here is the reaction to that last pass in Camp Quinn:

Definition of straddling the fence the way Ghoolie would draft it up. Claim you're hoping Quinn wins the job and then toss grenades at Camp Quinn as if you never wanted this franchise to give him a chance.

I see you doing this and all I can think of was you coming out of the woodwork last November when Quinn averaged 30 points a start in his first 2 games. You inventoried popular opinion and found the timing just right to confidently declare DA just wasn't the answer for this franchise. That was punctuated with "Quinn is the starting QB of this franchise - period! End of arguement."

You'll have to excuse me for remembering how definitive you were. BTW, DA isn't winning lately. He's 3-6 in his last 9 starts. Here's 4 of them vrs teams that CAN win more than 8 games.

Dallas 28-10

Pittsburgh 10-6

Baltimore 28-10

Indy 10-6

If you want to pretend this Cinderella story didn't reach an early midnight in November of 2007 - go right ahead. That said, the SAME Cincy team he first lit up with 5 TD passes was there to re-deem themselves with 4 INTs in December. At some point, we're gonna have to raise our standards above the Detroit type of opponents. When we played Green Bay, DA was clearly the worst QB in uniform as his zero passer rating would reflect. That's not opinon - that's fact. I know, you already informed us you had better things to do than watch our first preseason game.

Now carry-on and get your last insults in. People that want alternatives to losing are Quinn Fags. Now there's intelligent conversation reachign the next level for ya.

- Tom F.

Thank God, that next week will show who is going to be the starter! The wait will be over.

I seriously doubt that Mangini would split time with the starters between these 2. Whomever starts next week, will start the season.

Even sooner, whomever is practicing with the 1's this week will tell.

Three kinds of posters on here right now:

Those who defend DA and claim to be proper (and superior) Browns fans.

Those who want to see Quinn play and claim to be proper (and superior) Browns fans.

Those who claim not to care who the QB is and just want to win...and claim to be proper (and superior) Browns fans.

I just wish everyone would just stick to their opinion and stop claiming to be a better Browns fans.

it was against the starters rather than against the 4th string.

It also necessitated making our 4th stringers looking better than their 4th stringers right? That's how you throw mutliple TD passes in 1 game Loverboy. You do it by getting those around you to elevate their performance. Let me know HOW I can help you conceptualize this better.

You made it sound like Dumb Ass threw 5 TD passes yesterday on the team you've called Detroilet. I watched the game and saw 1 TD pass from your boyfriend. 16 consecutive regular season opponents were able to throw at least 1 TD pass on the Lions with their starters in the game. Let's not act Dumb Ass is walking on Lake Erie water just yet.

At least you've been straight up about your crush on a QB that doesn't win. He's your hometown hero so I almost understand you editing out the last 9 starts. You've never been a Browns' fan so you never had the priviledge of seeing the real thing the way Otto Graham, Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar established the winning tradition here. I can't bring myself to embrace the cheap imitation if it can't win here with any consistency. If Brian Sipe required a 28th oncore - something tells me we wouldn't have hung onto the 13th round draft pick. In OUR history, winners haven't needed 28 oncores. They just needed more than 3 starts and decent coaching. Fate, intelligence and talent took care of the rest.

- Tom F.

Definition of straddling the fence the way Ghoolie would draft it up. Claim you're hoping Quinn wins the job and then toss grenades at Camp Quinn as if you never wanted this franchise to give him a chance.

I will toss grenades at Camp Quinn as long as you act like Quinn fans and not Browns fans.

I know your feelings are hurt because I won't join your He-Man Derek Anderson Hater's Club, but I see absolutely no need to keep bashing the guy.

If you want to build Quinn up and convince me why he is going to be the next great Cleveland Browns QB, I am all ears, I would love nothing more than to see that.

But if you just want to tear down Derek Anderson, you are going to have to deal with me because I like DA and he plays QB for my team.

My opinion has never wavered: I like both guys, I think they are both better QBs than given credit for, I think Quinn ultimately wins the job due to being a more consistent passer.

I seem to be bashing heads with the guys that seem to think that you have to hate DA to like BQ. I just find that really childish.

Derek Anderson led my team down the field for a score on the first drive ... it was good to see (yes, I've seen it). And, if next week Brady Quinn leads my team to three TD drives, that will be great to see too. I won't be crying with Lumbergh or throwing tissy fits like the Quinn fags are today.

I want what is best for the Browns. You seem convinced you know what that is ... I am more open to both camps. But the camp that acts like schoolgirls and throws hissy fits after a good team effort is the camp that is going to get my attention when it comes to grenade launching.

Zombo

Bottom line is neither QB has thrown a TD pass yet and both have thrown too many that the other team has gotten their hands on. Is either the answer?

As good as DA can look he can also break your heart, that is a fact. He's proven he isn't the long term answer. As good as he can be in a quarter like last night, he will be just as bad in some games or quarters. So, if you want to be a .500 team, DA might be your man.

IMO Quinn manages the team better, especially under pressure. DA looks great when he has no rush on him and he gets time to drop and set up. Quinn moves better in the pocket and is a leader on the field. Will Quinn break your heart? Will he implode under pressure? Can he develop into a franchise QB? I want to get those questions answered. I already know what Anderson brings to the table.

If neither is the answer, I want to know before the next draft. The only way is to name Quinn the starter and see if he can step up and be the man.

Archived