THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

Just now, nickers said:

You may as well include me then :)

Look... I'm glad the Browns won. Pleasantly unexpected. But, I don't have rose colored glasses on and calls them as I see them. We barely beat a decimated Ratbird team minus their starting QB.   Baker has been playing like outright crap, and\or sub-star QB output since the Bungles game.  

You miss the happy feet when his primary wasn't open today? Sort of what tia has been preaching for weeks?   I haven't....  Yeah run the table and = playoffs. Go for it Baker.. I'm pulling for you.  

Just now, hoorta said:

Look... I'm glad the Browns won. Pleasantly unexpected. But, I don't have rose colored glasses on and calls them as I see them. We barely beat a decimated Ratbird team minus their starting QB.   Baker has been playing like outright crap, and\or sub-star QB output since the Bungles game.  

You miss the happy feet when his primary wasn't open today? Sort of what tia has been preaching for weeks?   I haven't....  Yeah run the table and = playoffs. Go for it Baker.. I'm pulling for you.  

My biggest disappointment is KS taking the foot off the gas in the 2nd half.. Was Baker perfect?.. No... But he made the plays he needed to make to help win the game... The Defense is finally getting turnovers and scoring points...

13 minutes ago, nickers said:

My biggest disappointment is KS taking the foot off the gas in the 2nd half.. Was Baker perfect?.. No... But he made the plays he needed to make to help win the game... The Defense is finally getting turnovers and scoring points...

Ya no shit. 

Baker was 15-17 with two TD's ending the 2nd quarter (with Hooper dropping the ball again...)  And Kev comes out with some FB passes and 2 yard runs all half. WTF.

We finally start forcing the ball down field and we either get big gains or we get the same PI calls other teams get in one on one coverage. Kev sees that and goes back to his bleed the clock game. 

Same shit he pulled in the Chargers game

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

You have now joined the Baked Mayfield\ Brady Quinn homo club....  

Never liked Quinn.

He never produced, he never won.

Now I'm some kind of homo for supporting our QB through an injury-plagued season where we are trying to get back the playoffs for consecutive season for the first time since 19fucking89.

Ok, I admit it, I root for the Browns and I root for Mayfield.

I am a homo.

At least I'm not a bitterbeerfaced fan, miserable after wins .... That has to really suck.

Z

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

'Are you EVER happy? dammmmm. Poor decimated ratbirds, eh? how about our punter was out, ml was out, both te's were in - Njoku and Harrison, Hunt went out during the game, our starting RT was out, our 1st round draft pick star, Newsome, was out...Schwartz still out...

you always? sound like a ratbird fan for some weird reason. Has their qb's been playing with multiple injuries? NO. btw, their backup qb played better than Jackson did.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

'Are you EVER happy? dammmmm. Poor decimated ratbirds, eh? how about our punter was out, ml was out, both te's were in - Njoku and Harrison, Hunt went out during the game, our starting RT was out, our 1st round draft pick star, Newsome, was out...Schwartz still out...

you always? sound like a ratbird fan for some weird reason. Has their qb's been playing with multiple injuries? NO. btw, their backup qb played better than Jackson did.

Lamar Jackass will be a has been in 2 years.. book it...

17 hours ago, Zombo said:

Never liked Quinn. He never produced, he never won.

Now I'm some kind of homo for supporting our QB through an injury-plagued season where we are trying to get back the playoffs for consecutive season for the first time since 19fucking89.

Ok, I admit it, I root for the Browns and I root for Mayfield.

I am a homo.

At least I'm not a bitterbeerfaced fan, miserable after wins .... That has to really suck.

Z

Don't make excuses for the crip. He either can play, or he can't. The opposition doesn't give a rat's ass if your injured- or not. And go find anything I ever posted that I was upset that we beat the Ravens.  Sorry Z- the bar has been raised. From going 0-16 hoping we can win a game to 7-6 mediocrity, and now you sunshine pumpers are creaming your pants over it. Strange things happen on the way to the Super Bowl.  We're not the only team with below preseason expectations...  I give you the Bills, who are now looking like counterfeit bills too.  

11 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

How about you STFU?  Keep making excuses....  As I said above.  Well- not outside of the realm of possibility the Browns, despite Baker flat out sucking in three of the last four games, Browns beat Raiders, and Ratbirds lose to Green Bay, we pull into a dead heat in the division.  

I call shitty performance as I see it Cal, and I don't pull out the injury excuse either. From way back, the Ravens have been FAR more beat up than the Browns... Minus their two starting running backs. Or you want to posit where the Browns would be minus Chubb and Hunt for the whole damn year?  Didn't think so.   

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Don't make excuses for the crip. He either can play, or he can't. The opposition doesn't give a rat's ass if your injured- or not.

the bar has been raised. From going 0-16 hoping we can win a game to 7-6 mediocrity, and now you sunshine pumpers are creaming your pants over it.    

No excuses H..

berry's not using excuses either

Mayfield said his left heel bothered him during a game for the first time on Nov. 7 in a Week 9 blowout win over the Bengals. He suffered a right knee contusion on Nov. 14 in a Week 10 blowout loss to the New Patriots and sat out the fourth quarter. Then he suffered a groin injury on Nov. 21 in a close Week 11 win over the Detroit Lions.

Mayfield has limped in recent games, and his accuracy issues seemed to reach a new low against the Lions. He skipped his postgame news conference after the 13-10 victory and later blamed frustration with his individual performance.

Yet the Browns stuck with Mayfield, 26, in Baltimore.

"For any player in terms of whether they’re on the field or not, it’s really three separate things," Berry said.

"No. 1, are they medically cleared from the perspective that they can’t do anything harmful to their health, or significantly harmful to their health?

"No. 2, are they medically cleared in a manner that would allow them to function in their role on the field, or play at a winning level in their role on the field?

"No. 3, does the player both by feel and then honestly by evidence throughout the practice week, can he perform all the requirements of his role on game day? And so we’ll never put a player on the field that doesn’t pass those three criteria. (practice's are coded Full* weekly since Denver)

"Our expectation is when guys are on the field, and our players’ expectation of themselves when they’re on the field if they’re there, they’re going to perform at a high level."

In other words, Berry isn't giving Mayfield a pass this season because he's been playing hurt.

may open/may not.... 

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2021/12/01/cleveland-browns-news-gm-andrew-berry-expects-baker-mayfield-play-best-ball-down-stretch-bye-week/8815593002/

still a good read on Berry... https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/9/8/22662051/nfl-front-office-phenom-andrew-berry-browns

Howie Roseman tasked Berry with a wide array of responsibilities:

player development, coordinating with the medical and performance staff, helping with the cap and contracts, and talking about big-picture issues.

Colts former GM Bill Polian, tasked Berry with 3 empty pages on how to preserve players to get to end of seasons.. Berry returned Polian a 18 page covered book on his how too's...

Coach Kevin Stefanski controls the game day rosters? yea/nay?

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

How about you STFU?  Keep making excuses....  As I said above.  Well- not outside of the realm of possibility the Browns, despite Baker flat out sucking in three of the last four games, Browns beat Raiders, and Ratbirds lose to Green Bay, we pull into a dead heat in the division.  

I call shitty performance as I see it Cal, and I don't pull out the injury excuse either. From way back, the Ravens have been FAR more beat up than the Browns... Minus their two starting running backs. Or you want to posit where the Browns would be minus Chubb and Hunt for the whole damn year?  Didn't think so.   

Hoorta translation: "I can't handle the truth, so I will make excuses for the ratbirds, but bitch about the Browns". lol

Both of their running backs? who cares? lol. Their rushing leader by far is Lamar Jackson. Who do you think you are fooling?

Yes, you use the injury excuses for your ratbirds, but not the Browns, Mr. pouty. You are inferring their rb's are equal in any way to Chubb and Hunt? Gosh, maybe you should give yourself a time out. Devonta Freeman, starting rb, was a 4th round pick. Latavius Murray, 2nd rb, was a sixth round pick. Like I SAID - their top rusher is Jackson ANYWAYS. It's how their offense WORKS.

Maybe, you should have THINKSIES before you have speaksies, Hoorta. LOL

It was a performance that was terrific the first half. Second half, beats me why they end up playing two different halves in the same game. I guess it's ...not making adjustments? or out-coaching themselves?

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

Don't make excuses for the crip. He either can play, or he can't. The opposition doesn't give a rat's ass if your injured- or not. And go find anything I ever posted that I was upset that we beat the Ravens.  Sorry Z- the bar has been raised. From going 0-16 hoping we can win a game to 7-6 mediocrity, and now you sunshine pumpers are creaming your pants over it. Strange things happen on the way to the Super Bowl.  We're not the only team with below preseason expectations...  I give you the Bills, who are now looking like counterfeit bills too.  

I didn't make one excuse for him.

I'm just enjoying the ride, we just won a big game and we control our own destiny

Now they are throwing the Covid Albatross around our necks this week ... and I know this team will battle, and I'll root for them all the more!

Z

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

I didn't make one excuse for him.

I'm just enjoying the ride, we just won a big game and we control our own destiny

Now they are throwing the Covid Albatross around our necks this week ... and I know this team will battle, and I'll root for them all the more!

Z

What? You somehow think that I won't?  There's a difference between blind fandom and having an accurate assessment of our team's strength relative to the rest of the NFL.  

I don't wear rose colored homer glasses like you do. Ahem-  the latest power rankings er, "Beauty Pageant Standings" Have the Browns at #15.. About right where they belong in my estimation. Can they still win the Division? Sure... But not if they can't figure out a way to score some points in the second half of games.... 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

What? You somehow think that I won't?  There's a difference between blind fandom and having an accurate assessment of our team's strength relative to the rest of the NFL.  

I don't wear rose colored homer glasses like you do. Ahem-  the latest power rankings er, "Beauty Pageant Standings" Have the Browns at #15.. About right where they belong in my estimation. Can they still win the Division? Sure... But not if they can't figure out a way to score some points in the second half of games.... 

I don't know how accurate you are. You were wrong about the Bengals and the Ravens. I on the other hand maintain that we are the cream of the division and cream rises to the top ... we'll see.

You shit on our qb, you shit on our coach. They are the best combo, by far,  that we have had since I've known you, so I guess you're just never happy until Otto Graham and Paul Brown walk through the door again.

You've been outright bitter after our last two WINS ... Not wearing rose colored (I prefer orange) glasses is one thing, but being a full time dick is another.

It can't be enjoyable. I'm sure you "root" for the Browns in your own way, but I imagine that is a miserable experience as well. 

You need to get a cat to kick around when we win but don't get any beauty pageant points.

Z

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/14/2021 at 8:21 PM, Zombo said:

I don't know how accurate you are. You were wrong about the Bengals and the Ravens. I on the other hand maintain that we are the cream of the division and cream rises to the top ... we'll see.

You shit on our qb, you shit on our coach. They are the best combo, by far,  that we have had since I've known you, so I guess you're just never happy until Otto Graham and Paul Brown walk through the door again.

You've been outright bitter after our last two WINS ... Not wearing rose colored (I prefer orange) glasses is one thing, but being a full time dick is another.

It can't be enjoyable. I'm sure you "root" for the Browns in your own way, but I imagine that is a miserable experience as well. 

You need to get a cat to kick around when we win but don't get any beauty pageant points.

Z

Just get real Z... You mean I'm not allowed to say a 50 something QBR by our QB isn't crap?  Seven points in the last eight 4th quarters isn't crap? We won- great. I'll crow how great we are right along with you if we manage to beat the Raiders with 1\2 the team out.  

And Cal can blow me if he thinks the Ravens losing both Dobbins and Marlon Humphrey isn't a big deal.  

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just get real Z... You mean I'm not allowed to say a 50 something QBR by our QB isn't crap?  Seven points in the last eight 4th quarters isn't crap? We won- great. I'll crow how great we are right along with you if we manage to beat the Raiders with 1\2 the team out.  

And Cal can blow me if he thinks the Ravens losing both Dobbins and Marlon Humphrey isn't a big deal.  

or you can blow yourself - your superego needs inflatsies AGAIN? It isn't much of a deal.....?

for this season, Freeman, in 12 games, only started six games. Only got 440 yards. Murray, only 4 starts out of 10 played in, only got 260 yards. And Jackson, 12 games, etc, 767 yards. Get this - D'Ernest Johnson has 342 yards rushing - a lot more than Murray, second string.

And Dobbins - had surgery back in Sept. Make all the excuses for your ratbirds, but you seem to be in the wrong forum.

BTW, last year, Lamar Jackson still had 200 more yards rushing than Dobbins did.

10  4 80 8.0 260  3.3 26.0 5 14 0 0 0
12  6 102  8.5 440  4.3 36.7 4 31 0 0 0

12  12 133 11.1 767  5.8 63.9

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Who gives a shit what his passer rating was if we won the game?

A reasonable Browns fan is impressed with his leadership and the fact he has been playing through injury and pain all year for the team.

But not Larry. He's either shitting on Baker for not playing well enough or shitting on Stefanski for not resting him. Every week.

The rest of us realized a long time ago that he's not going to be 100% this year at all, and Stefanski is going to keep playing him, so we just root for the best outcome and admire the effort. There is no lack of effort. That is the best we can do this year. And we can still win the damn division,  and that is exciting for me.

Z

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

Who gives a shit what his passer rating was if we won the game?

A reasonable Browns fan is impressed with his leadership and the fact he has been playing through injury and pain all year for the team.

But not Larry. He's either shitting on Baker for not playing well enough or shitting on Stefanski for not resting him. Every week.

The rest of us realized a long time ago that he's not going to be 100% this year at all, and Stefanski is going to keep playing him, so we just root for the best outcome and admire the effort. There is no lack of effort. That is the best we can do this year. And we can still win the damn division,  and that is exciting for me.

Z

Keep on pumping your sunshine.  And bite me, as a season ticket holder since 1999, I'll say whatever the hell I feel like saying. So so sorry about that. FWIW, that Myles Garret feller had a GREAT game against the  Ravens. OTOH, the Browns beat the  woeful Lions in spite of Baker sucking. If they had been playing a 1/2 decent team, it would have been another loss. 

Make sure you pick the Browns to win Saturday with 1/2 the team out, and Godell is more worried about TV revenue than any semblance of competitive balance. Covid is going to flush our season right down the toilet. Deal with it. 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Keep on pumping your sunshine.  And bite me, as a season ticket holder since 1999, I'll say whatever the hell I feel like saying. So so sorry about that. FWIW, that Myles Garret feller had a GREAT game against the  Ravens. OTOH, the Browns beat the  woeful Lions in spite of Baker sucking. If they had been playing a 1/2 decent team, it would have been another loss. 

Make sure you pick the Browns to win Saturday with 1/2 the team out, and Godell is more worried about TV revenue than any semblance of competitive balance. Covid is going to flush our season right down the toilet. Deal with it. 

You're right, you can say whatever you want. And as long as you keep posting a bunch of horseshit Debbie Downer posts, I'm gonna keep on contending them, so go ahead.

I see you already predicted a loss and an effective end to the season once again. I've lost count, is this the third or fourth time?

I think this team is plucky enough to pull off the win. It's called Rising to the Occasion. That's what good teams, and good organizations, do...

And that's who we are.

Z

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Zombo said:

You're right, you can say whatever you want. And as long as you keep posting a bunch of horseshit Debbie Downer posts, I'm gonna keep on contending them, so go ahead.

I see you already predicted a loss and an effective end to the season once again. I've lost count, is this the third or fourth time?

I think this team is plucky enough to pull off the win. It's called Rising to the Occasion. That's what good teams, and good organizations, do...

And that's who we are.

Z

And now that the game is delayed to Monday,  I give the Browns a  punchers chance. Especially if "THE CRIP" can clear covid protocol in time. You do realize that we we damn close to having to forfeit. 

And it only got delayed because both the Rams and WFT were in the same boat. The NFL was aghast that they could lose TV revenue, the respective owners lose gate receipts, and the NFLPA seriously pissed off that six teams would forfeit game checks in the process. Just keeping it real for ya Z.  :)

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

And now that the game is delayed to Monday,  I give the Browns a  punchers chance. Especially if "THE CRIP" can clear covid protocol in time. You do realize that we we damn close to having to forfeit. 

And it only got delayed because both the Rams and WFT were in the same boat. The NFL was aghast that they could lose TV revenue, the respective owners lose gate receipts, and the NFLPA seriously pissed off that six teams would forfeit game checks in the process. Just keeping it real for ya Z.  :)

There was Zero possibility we would forfeit.

But thanks for keeping it real for me.

And great nickname for our tough as nails QB who has missed one game due to injury in four years.

Z

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

There was Zero possibility we would forfeit.

But thanks for keeping it real for me.

And great nickname for our tough as nails QB who has missed one game due to injury in four years.

Z

The last 2 times the Browns have had a QB help this team win 11 regular season games plus the first playoff game - a strange volume fans were pissing and moaning about the QB shortly thereafter.  On both occasions, these seasons followed long droughts from posting winning records here.  Vinny went on and made 2 Pro Bowls after Cleveland; and he led Parcels' Jets to an AFC Championship Game in Denver in 1999.  

Nobody is disputing this isn't Baker's best season here.  Nobody even disputes a significant portion of this is Baker's fault.  That said, does anyone wonder why a team like NE has an OC consulting with the starting QB in between series (whether it was Tom Brady or Mac Jones)?  They don't wait until halftime to exploit or adjust - they giddy-up and get after it.  For some reason, our HC that finally landed his dream job only wants to be an OC focusing only on the next play he's going to call.  He's just full speed ahead with the game plan even that plan is going square peg on round hole.  I've seen little to no coaching the offense or defense in between series.  When you have the volume of injuries impacting the amount of newcomers and backups being thrown into the starting lineup - ongoing feedback from coaches in between series seems pretty fricken important.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

NOTE to anyone who whines about how beat up their ratbirds are in their secondary:

"But quarterback is not the only position room looking thin.

Cleveland is down 6 defensive backs, including their 3 top safeties and their starting slot corner."

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-sign-jake-dolegala-kyle-lauletta/

23 hours ago, Flugel said:

-   That said, does anyone wonder why a team like NE has an OC consulting with the starting QB in between series

-  For some reason, our HC that finally landed his dream job only wants to be an OC focusing only on the next play he's going to call. 

-He's just full speed ahead with the game plan even that plan is going square peg on round hole. 

- I've seen little to no coaching the offense or defense in between series.

-When you have the volume of injuries impacting the amount of newcomers and backups being thrown into the starting lineup - ongoing feedback from coaches in between series seems pretty fricken important.

In order...

- This is why we have Van Pelt, who is on the sideline with Baker and Keenum also providing veteran input and pointing out things on the tablets for play breakdown.  You can find hundreds of pictures of them talking on the sidelines as a trio.    The apt comparison you're having would be Belicheck talking to Mac Jones between every series, which he doesn't.   

- Stef is the primary play caller.  But this is also why we have a run game and passing game coord.  O'Shea is also working with Baker from the booth.  He has no less than 3 professionals working with him on the sidelines.   So coach should absolutely be focused on his next play call and the defense being on the field as well.

- Care to expand on that square peg comment?  You've seen my detailed posts here about the engines behind said gameplans, I don't see you offering much detail to the contrary yourself that would make me believe this comment has any substance.   And if your mind first reached for the Ravens game before the bye and went "run the ball more", I'll stop you there and say that's not the benchmark you want to use.

- You can look up all the coaches and position coaches + assistants working with players in between series.  The pictures are readily easy to find.

- There is always feedback between series. Always.   The most important communication as well - between the players themselves.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

In order...

- This is why we have Van Pelt, who is on the sideline with Baker and Keenum also providing veteran input and pointing out things on the tablets for play breakdown.  You can find hundreds of pictures of them talking on the sidelines as a trio.    The apt comparison you're having would be Belicheck talking to Mac Jones between every series, which he doesn't.   

- Stef is the primary play caller.  But this is also why we have a run game and passing game coord.  O'Shea is also working with Baker from the booth.  He has no less than 3 professionals working with him on the sidelines.   So coach should absolutely be focused on his next play call and the defense being on the field as well.

- Care to expand on that square peg comment?  You've seen my detailed posts here about the engines behind said gameplans, I don't see you offering much detail to the contrary yourself that would make me believe this comment has any substance.   And if your mind first reached for the Ravens game before the bye and went "run the ball more", I'll stop you there and say that's not the benchmark you want to use.

- You can look up all the coaches and position coaches + assistants working with players in between series.  The pictures are readily easy to find.

- There is always feedback between series. Always.   The most important communication as well - between the players themselves.

As someone I really enjoy reading in here - it isn't often you give me anything to disagree with.  However, on this discussion - we will agree to disagree.  

To put you at ease, I know who all of our coaches are and what their specific purposes are supposed to be.  None of that changes my disappointment in watching Stefanski ACTING as OC when he was hired to be acting as Head Coach (overseeing all 3 phases).  This team didn't even know how to defend an onside kick.  There's also been confusion with how many guys we had on the field requiring us to burn a time-out.  We've also seen formation penalties from guys not lining up right. Even on the defensive side of the ball, I can recall 1 week where we had guys lining up offsides twice (Clowney & McDowell) in 1 scoring drive against the Browns.  Another week, Myles Garrett even voiced his frustration after the game about the DC not making any adjustments. A guy like Parcells, used to trust Assistant Coaches like Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick, Romeo Crennel, and Sean Payton.  That said, he didn't hesitate to be up their ass and in their ear with situations he felt needed needed a tourniquet.  

I think I have a better chance of seeing a UFO than Baker sitting down with a coach reviewing overheads and discussing what he's missing out there in between series (or doing that with a headset on. I guess it's possible that the only times they don't review things together between series is when the cameras are on Baker.  

While I appreciate you sharing your film (and thorough analyses) on various things you've noticed; that doesn't prevent me from seeing a lot of stubbornness to stick with game plans that aren't working in lieu of taking what opponents are giving us. Yes, you've provided some examples to your credit here.  Unfortunately, the doesn't keep me from thinking these are exceptions to the rule overall.   Furthermore, If Baker consistently can't hit the broad side of a barn downfield since the injury - who's job it is to conclude Keenum needs to play?  At this time, we've seen enough examples to warrant shutting Baker down.  They can pretend all they want that he's just as pain-free on game days as he is in practices where our defense can't hit the QB.  However, Baker does get hit on game days and pictures worth 1000 words show us how quickly the discomfort returns enough to disappoint our fans in what they're seeing from him. IMO, it doesn't get any more square peg - round hole than that my friend.

• Upvote 2