THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

.......... A guy like Parcells, used to trust Assistant Coaches like Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick, Romeo Crennel, and Sean Payton.  That said, he didn't hesitate to be up their ass and in their ear with situations he felt needed needed a tourniquet.   True.

I think I have a better chance of seeing a UFO than Baker sitting down with a coach reviewing overheads and discussing what he's missing out there in between series (or doing that with a headset on. I guess it's possible that the only times they don't review things together between series is when the cameras are on Baker. .........Maybe.

Are we in a new and maybe not better era of football coaches,  FO right up to the top now   -and-   players and maybe fans and people in general now and not 🚫 for the better ?

Is this now an ongoing situation that will not reverse itself and is here to stay.  ( geeezz I feel like I'm on the poli board )..  Is this partly or more because of all of the open hostility that  IS out there in the world today ?  SO do we just have to deal with it and move on ?   I hope not.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Is this now an ongoing situation that will not reverse itself and is here to stay.  ( geeezz I feel like I'm on the poli board )..  Is this partly or more because of all of the open hostility that  IS out there in the world today ?  SO do we just have to deal with it and move on ?   I hope not.

Well.... to a degree, it's the human condition all too often. Some people get hostile because their emotions are riled. LIke restricting it to football - the last game - Teller dominated the defensive lineman? and with the dl off balance, he shoved him toward the ground. DL lands on the ground, and a ref throws a flag on Teller for...."holding".

That could be considered a ref's mistake. But haven't most anyone notice that Garrett is being flagrantly held again and again, etc etc etc.... NO CALL FOR HOLDING? You'd need one of those golf stroke counters with the push button to keep track of the number of times in a game where Garrett was being held by ANY definition - and no call?

Maybe it isn't "hostility" as much as it is "indignance".

More than anything else, I ascribe "banter" to explaining the discourse about the Browns. It's fun.

2 hours ago, darkside5 said:

Baker's fine. The play calling sucks

Hey darkside nice to see you....... but Baker Mayfield has had plenty of injuries enough to throw his game off enough that it's really easy to see.

Play calling well an easy target after a loss and some under performing wins and yes there have been some obvious mistakes but not the only thing.

Dropped passes,  overthrown passes, underperforming players, injuries (yes every team has them) and more so there's enough blame to go around. 

But Baker's not near fine for a starting quarterback  and the play calling and game plan could be better but it comes down to the players on the field to execute. 

Would better play calling make them 10-3 or 9-4 I doubt it,  it's hard to say let's just hope they can play a good all around game.........oh it's covid now.......I guess we'll see now.

All bets are off Monday...... yes they really are.   GO BROWNS, just win one......baby !

This game was the nail in the coffin for Baker Mayfield's career in Cleveland. There is zero, and I mean zero excuse for this dog shit performance today. He sucks when he's healthy, he sucks even worse with a bum shoulder. Baker holds on to the ball too long, his football IQ is Forrest Gump level, he is a turnover machine, and he CHOKES every single time in the fourth quarter when we need him. The problem is BAKER MAYFIELD. The only reason we scored 22 points today is because of Chubb/Johnson. Four turnovers, five sacks, and a complete choke job interception at the end. 

I appreciate his toughness and competitiveness over the years, but it's time to part ways. 

He can’t read, or can’t see the defense. When his first read is not there he panics. He gets happy feet and looks very lost. 
He throws leaning back far too much, causing high over throws. He probably needs to do that to get the ball over the lineman
He also can’t win at the end of the game. 

While I agree with Jimmy Johnson when he said, in the post-game, you don’t get rid of him until you have something better.

It’s time to start looking for something better

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

He can’t read, or can’t see the defense. When his first read is not there he panics. He gets happy feet and looks very lost. 
He throws leaning back far too much, causing high over throws. He probably needs to do that to get the ball over the lineman
He also can’t win at the end of the game. 

While I agree with Jimmy Johnson when he said, in the post-game, you don’t get rid of him until you have something better.

It’s time to start looking for something better

Yes I agree here. We have the fifth year option and if there's nothing better, we're stick with the bozo for another year. But the Browns absolutely have to see what it would take for Rodgers, R. Wilson, or D. Watson. We're not winning a Super Bowl with Baker, ever. 

Just saw this stat. YIKES

Baker Mayfield has had the ball with the chance to win/tie on a final drive 16 times in his career.. His record in those games, 2-14

25 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Just saw this stat. YIKES

Baker Mayfield has had the ball with the chance to win/tie on a final drive 16 times in his career.. His record in those games, 2-14

Clutch he isn't. I turned the game off after the final pick in great disgust. The great ones find ways to win. Baker has found ways to choke.   

The problem with the sunshine pumpers is that they're so used to gawdawful quarterbacking, now we graduate to mediocre, and happy, happy, joy, joy.  Shit, you're out of your damn mind if anyone wants to say Keenum or Mullins couldn't have done at least as good job today against the Packers. Still doing that happy dance when his primary isn't open, and it's getting real old. 

If you have two communicating neurons, it's so damn obvious now it hurts- that Baker will never be on the level talent wise of a Mahomes or Allen. Game managers can win- if they don't turn the ball over. Baker did today- FOUR times, and it should have been FIVE if one of the Packers hadn't dropped a room service interception. 

• Upvote 1

I still want to know why Aaron Rodgers would want to come here?  The guy has D. Adams. We have a 6th rounder. How many first rounders and what pro bowlers you giving to GB to make that happen anyway? 3 firsts and Chubb? 3 firsts and Garrett? Then Rodgers retires the next year. Then where/how do you get him a legit WR? Aaron ain't running Kev's playbook.

Russell Wilson? Dude has DK Metcalf and Leggett. We have a 6th rounder. (Not to mention, Russ looks pretty bad this year...) His wife ain't moving to Cleveland either. 

Watson has 20 different people accusing him of sexual misconduct. 20 different people. AND he admitted he did it, maybe that shit passes then he's available. How many first rounders you giving up? That the kinda guy you wanna hang your franchise on..? 

Matt Ryan? 37 years old. What's he got left? How much you giving up?

I've always had Derrick Carr in the back of my head. Seems pretty likely he is out in LV. But after watching his play last week against our backup JV squad....

I really don't see anything but the draft being an option.

Yippee. 

Just finished watching the game......

At least Stef committed to the run game this week, but just not for the last 3 plays. 

Defense played great.

36 played lights out.

Baker just isn't the guy.

I'm glad I didn't watch the game live and ruin my day. 

There's always next year. 

40 minutes ago, hx214 said:

I still want to know why Aaron Rodgers would want to come here?  The guy has D. Adams. We have a 6th rounder. How many first rounders and what pro bowlers you giving to GB to make that happen anyway? 3 firsts and Chubb? 3 firsts and Garrett? Then Rodgers retires the next year. Then where/how do you get him a legit WR? Aaron ain't running Kev's playbook.

Russell Wilson? Dude has DK Metcalf and Leggett. We have a 6th rounder. (Not to mention, Russ looks pretty bad this year...) His wife ain't moving to Cleveland either. 

Watson has 20 different people accusing him of sexual misconduct. 20 different people. AND he admitted he did it, maybe that shit passes then he's available. How many first rounders you giving up? That the kinda guy you wanna hang your franchise on..? 

Matt Ryan? 37 years old. What's he got left? How much you giving up?

I've always had Derrick Carr in the back of my head. Seems pretty likely he is out in LV. But after watching his play last week against our backup JV squad....

I really don't see anything but the draft being an option.

Yippee. 

Rodgers and Wilson are long shots, but it's worth asking. And yes, we would have to get them some help at WR.

Our best shot is with Watson. That's IF he clears his legal problems, I would absolutely take a shot on him. Sure, I don't want a guy who's guilty of sexual misconduct if he is in fact guilty. But this is the Browns, we don't have options. You have to take scummy guys sometimes to win - Big Rape won two Super Bowls, Antonio Brown is trash and he won one last year, Tyreke Hill beat and choked his girlfriend and won a SB. And let's not forget our good friend Kareem Hunt and his video altercation with a woman (the video isn't as bad as the NFL made it out I will admit). He came to Cleveland, stayed out of trouble and has been awesome for this franchise. He's probably my third favorite player behind Chubb and Garrett. No one seems to care or remember what he did. Let's face it, this franchise is desperate for a Super Bowl, if someone with a questionable past comes in here and performs well and wins, the fan base won't care what they did in the past. 

I think the Stafford trade that the Rams pulled off last year gives a good idea of the market value for a franchise QB. The Rams sent two first rounders, a third rounder, and a bad starting QB in Goff to the Lions for Stafford. 

6 hours ago, Neo said:

One int was on Landry not looking for the ball, the other was obvious DPI. 

I have been one of Baker's best supporters,  but he was not very good today, injured or not.

The one to Landry was 10 yards under thrown. He was behind the defense and getting more wide open with every step. 
That pass has to be out in front of Landry, instead it was horribly under thrown causing Landry to stop and slip

7 hours ago, Neo said:

One int was on Landry not looking for the ball, the other was obvious DPI. 

I have been one of Baker's best supporters,  but he was not very good today, injured or not.

True enough that was a bad performance. Also true is that quarterbacks have bad performances. If the Browns face an uphill battle because of extraneous circumstances that certainly worth mentioning. People who hate the Browns or hate the quarterback or hate anybody call that making excuses. And I say that's bulshit. The bad calls were glaring enough that the announcers certainly not Browns fans, were mentioning them on air.

On top of that we are Fielding players that haven't been allowed to practice in what, a couple of weeks? An offensive line with three starters gone and one guy playing out of position?

Yes I'm pissed off yes I'm disappointed but the only thing I'm scared about is the idiots in the front office making wholesale changes. 

(As for the haters? Well they always suck.)

WSS

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, hish747 said:

Landry slipped because he tried to stop in his tracks to get back to an under thrown ball. It's 100% on Baker.

Landry didn't slip, he fainted.

He fainted when he saw how horrible Baker's pass was to him. 

• Haha 3

Watching the highlights of the Cardinals vs Colts game (I don't have NFL Network so I missed the game last night) and saw that Carson Wentz had a good game, so out of curiosity I looked up his stats for this season, because I hadn't really heard much how he's doing.. 

Wentz, who was given up for dead, has 25 touchdowns passes compared to 6 interceptions, and a QB rating of 96.4 in 2021. 

I wonder if the Eagles wish they still had him... and while I'm not the biggest Baker fan, the Browns better make 100% sure they upgrade from him before making a change at the QB position. 

More sobering stats from yesterday 

Browns rushes + screens = 23 plays for 259 yards
Browns passes - screens = 40 plays for 138 net yards (plus four picks)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

Our best shot is with Watson. That's IF he clears his legal problems, I would absolutely take a shot on him. Sure, I don't want a guy who's guilty of sexual misconduct if he is in fact guilty. But this is the Browns, we don't have options. You have to take scummy guys sometimes to win - Big Rape won two Super Bowls, Antonio Brown is trash and he won one last year, Tyreke Hill beat and choked his girlfriend and won a SB. And let's not forget our good friend Kareem Hunt and his video altercation with a woman (the video isn't as bad as the NFL made it out I will admit). He came to Cleveland, stayed out of trouble and has been awesome for this franchise. He's probably my third favorite player behind Chubb and Garrett. No one seems to care or remember what he did. Let's face it, this franchise is desperate for a Super Bowl, if someone with a questionable past comes in here and performs well and wins, the fan base won't care what they did in the past. 

Ya, but Big Rape was already drafted by the Steelers. Another team didn't give up multiple first rounders to get him.  I could see the Browns making the trade then 20 more people coming out to accuse him of something after they get him, cause that's how it works here. 

Hunt was signed of the street. For peanuts. That doesn't work, all you lose is money. 

34 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

More sobering stats from yesterday 

Browns rushes + screens = 23 plays for 259 yards
Browns passes - screens = 40 plays for 138 net yards (plus four picks)

I hadn't realized that. Seems dumb alright. The Packers defense is better with the pass, pretty poor vs the run..... I'm starting to think the Browns coaches are out-coaching themselves amid all the problems this year.

Just now, calfoxwc said:

I hadn't realized that. Seems dumb alright. The Packers defense is better with the pass, pretty poor vs the run..... I'm starting to think the Browns coaches are out-coaching themselves amid all the problems this year.

It does seem whatever game plan they come up with doesn’t get the job done at crunch time

10 hours ago, hish747 said:

Landry slipped because he tried to stop in his tracks to get back to an under thrown ball. It's 100% on Baker.

I know the resident football geniuses will blast me for this, but it seems like Landry was supposed to come back to the ball or at least Baker thought his was going to come back to the ball. Troy Aikman even Landry wasn't looking for the ball or didn't appear to be.

I even acknowledged Baker played like trash. But I stand firm this was not on Baker.

20211226_124420.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Watching the highlights of the Cardinals vs Colts game (I don't have NFL Network so I missed the game last night) and saw that Carson Wentz had a good game, so out of curiosity I looked up his stats for this season, because I hadn't really heard much how he's doing.. 

Wentz, who was given up for dead, has 25 touchdowns passes compared to 6 interceptions, and a QB rating of 96.4 in 2021. 

I wonder if the Eagles wish they still had him... and while I'm not the biggest Baker fan, the Browns better make 100% sure they upgrade from him before making a change at the QB position. 

Wentz is also the beneficiary of one of the best running games in the NFL.   He isn't asked to shoulder much of the offense beyond what he is capable of.

Sounds familiar?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Neo said:

I know the resident football geniuses will blast me for this, but it seems like Landry was supposed to come back to the ball or at least Baker thought his was going to come back to the ball. Troy Aikman even Landry wasn't looking for the ball or didn't appear to be.

I even acknowledged Baker played like trash. But I stand firm this was not on Baker.

20211226_124420.jpg

If you watch the video, Landry puts up his hand, as he’s running into a deep wide area, he looks back and the ball is way under thrown. Obviously they were not on the same page, but when a receiver puts his hand up, and the QB is looking at him, most times that means throw it deep

16 minutes ago, Neo said:

20211226_124420.jpg

You don't come back into an open spot in a zone defense.

You throw the ball to your receiver past the first level but before the second level. As been pointed out numerous times, Baker does not do a great job of anticipating windows or anticipating his receivers breaking open vs man-to-man. He doesn't lead receivers as much as he throws at them. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You don't come back into an open spot in a zone defense.

I'm going to stop you right there, that isn't ALWAYS* accurate. 

The half field sprint out Baker was running can be one such a case.      Ultimately we won't know until the All-22 comes out and somebody (who are we kidding? Likely it'll be me) goes back over it several times.