THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

3 hours ago, Orion said:

As I said in another thread (I think it was a different thread); If the medical team says that your starting #1 overall pick QB is medically cleared to play....and the player says that he's good to play....and he partakes in the practices....as the HC, what is going to be your reason for benching the starting QB?  Are you gonna say that he's hurt and your medical team is a bunch of quacks?  

What the coaches ended up doing, albeit for good reasons - inspire the team, etc.. they ended up throwing

Baker under the bus of media and fan criticism. Baker can handle it, but - he ended up admitting he played like crap.

Bad coaching decision - "technically he can play" doesn't mean he can play well - it seems tough to expect a qb to throw with

much velocity and accuracy without using his left shoulder, etc. It does seem like the Browns' coaches were caught in a "crap if we do, crap if we don't" situation.

well, look at some non-top 20 quarterbacks who have been to the superbowl.

my opinion...

Garrapalo

Goff

Foles

Cam Newton

Joe Flacco

Colin Clapperdick

Rex Grossman

etc.

There aren't many Peyton Mannings, Tom Brady's in the NFL now or before.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

my opinion...

Garrapalo

Goff

Foles

Cam Newton

Joe Flacco

Colin Clapperdick

Rex Grossman

etc.   But the thing that all of those players have in common is that they're teams moved on from them before their time.  (Flacco being the possible exception)

True enough.  You have to work with the best thing you've got....while looking under every stone.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BaconHound said:

I still don’t understand why many are considered haters if they feel he’s not a top 20 QB.

What will we see from Baker in 2022?  The 2020 Mayfield, or the wounded 2021 version?  Lately, when "top NFL quarterbacks" comes up.. Baker's not in the discussion anymore. Well, if he needs more stud WRs on top of what the Browns already have, it's almost a tacit admission he's Mr. Average.  Not necessarily a bad thing, as Dandy Andy Dalton took the Bengals to multiple playoff berths and no Super Bowls with an equally stud surrounding cast. Are we willing to settle for that level of success? Or do what the Rams did, ship out Goff and a pile of draft picks to bring in Matt Stafford and get the big prize? 

Regarding those film breakdowns Tia posted...  I'm sure the Browns brain trust, as well as every opposing Defensive Coordinator has gone over them- and a lot more- dozens of times. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

What will we see from Baker in 2022?  The 2020 Mayfield, or the wounded 2021 version?  Lately, when "top NFL quarterbacks" comes up.. Baker's not in the discussion anymore. Well, if he needs more stud WRs on top of what the Browns already have, it's almost a tacit admission he's Mr. Average.  Not necessarily a bad thing, as Dandy Andy Dalton took the Bengals to multiple playoff berths and no Super Bowls with an equally stud surrounding cast. Are we willing to settle for that level of success? Or do what the Rams did, ship out Goff and a pile of draft picks to bring in Matt Stafford and get the big prize? 

Regarding those film breakdowns Tia posted...  I'm sure the Browns brain trust, as well as every opposing Defensive Coordinator has gone over them- and a lot more- dozens of times. 

The Rams big prize was already bought and paid for... What part of The Rams are the flagship team of the NFL do you not understand..?.. They were never gonna lose the game... Unless an act of God transpired... The Idea that BLOWDELL could sandbag his way out of town , then come out smelling like a french whore is just all wrong... There ought to be sanctions on the Rams and Von Miller for coaxing Odell in mid season to tank his way out of town...

I hope BLOWDELL takes his cute little ring..  Sticks it on his pud then shoves it up his ass,, Never to be heard from again... I'm sure his wheels are toast now...

3 hours ago, nickers said:

The Rams big prize was already bought and paid for... What part of The Rams are the flagship team of the NFL do you not understand..?.. They were never gonna lose the game... Unless an act of God transpired... The Idea that BLOWDELL could sandbag his way out of town , then come out smelling like a french whore is just all wrong... There ought to be sanctions on the Rams and Von Miller for coaxing Odell in mid season to tank his way out of town...

I hope BLOWDELL takes his cute little ring..  Sticks it on his pud then shoves it up his ass,, Never to be heard from again... I'm sure his wheels are toast now...

Rams the NFL's Flagship Team?  You forget about the Cowboys? America's frontrunner fans all love a glitzy winner. Don't forget I consider the Rams owner Kroenke as big, if not a bigger sleazebag than Modell. 

The Rams pushed all their chips  (and draft picks) into the middle of the table to get a Ring. Let's see what happens when the bills start coming due. LA fans are notoriously fickle.  

Regarding OBJ, yeah- that second ACL on the same knee will likley shelve him for 2022, if not for good. But as a pure business decision, tip of the cap there. He made more in bonuses in six months than most of us peons make in a lifetime.  

On 2/23/2022 at 4:13 PM, calfoxwc said:

my opinion...

Garrapalo

Goff

Foles

Cam Newton

Joe Flacco

Colin Clapperdick

Rex Grossman

etc.

Jimmy G - Was carried, hasn't been back.  Team is forced to carry his corpse to the finish line, which is why the drafted his replacement.  - Lost

Goff - Fell off a cliff when defenses got hip to the scheme.  Like Jimmy G, carried by the talent around him.  He was so bad LA was willing to mortgage huge future draft capital to get rid of him and his salary.  - Lost

Foles - Cinderella story.   Is an average to below-average QB.  Philly has limped along since. - Won

Cam - spectacular 2015 season which was sandwiched between years of up and down play including post season blunders.  - Lost

Joe - Like Foles, played well over his head along with having talent around him and favorable matchups. - won

Colin - Imploded in the entire 1st half of that superbowl.  Scrambled his ass off in the 2nd half then fell short.  When defenses started seeing his eye patterns, he started falling apart. - Lost

Rexy - Founder of the "Fuck it, I'm throwing deep" club...   Was fortunate enough to play during a stretch of remarkable Chicago defense in an NFC that had a bit of a "down" period.   Never went back and never sniffed stats indicative of a playoff worthy QB who actually leads his team as the focal point of the offense. - Lost

None of these QB's ended up going back to the Superbowl.  Actually the closest is Jimmy G in the NFC title game

So of this list, the starting QB's were 2 and 5.   Re: Brady and Manning - they're two all time greats.   But your mentioning of them is hollow.  Franchise QB's existed before their time,  and they'll be apart of the NFL long after they're gone.   You have a group of young one's right now that are becoming the face of the NFL.   If you want the most sure-fire way to not only make it to a superbowl, but to actually have a shot at keeping the window open for repeat deep playoff runs, the overwhelming evidence points to having a top-tier QB who can carry the offense and be built around - NOT built for.      

Building a team so dominant at so many different positions and winning a Superbowl is as rare as finding top-tier signal callers who can lead the charge.

Can you build a competitive team and help turn around a 20 year stretch of depressing losing culture? Absolutely.    Which is what the Browns should be focused on if no franchise QB presents himself.    It has long been mentioned on this board, this team would be at least competitive, entertaining and prideful to watch if they got slightly-above average QB play along with a strong supporting cast.   At least at that point you can make yourself a wild-card team and continue building said culture of winning games and coaching stability.

Cal, I do have a follow up about our wide receiver corps coming at some point.  Stay patient.   

And I noticed since I posted my last film bits, this thread has gotten just over 600 views in a few days....  interesting.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Cal, I do have a follow up about our wide receiver corps coming at some point.  Stay patient.   

And I noticed since I posted my last film bits, this thread has gotten just over 600 views in a few days....  interesting.

I look forward to it. And, glad to help you out with that. 

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Goff - Fell off a cliff when defenses got hip to the scheme.  

This could very well be Baker's fate here in Cleveland. 

Average starting QB schemed to success early on with new coaching staff, defenses caught on, productivity starts to level out. 

I have this nagging feeling the highwater mark for Baker in Cleveland was him having a chance to drive down the field to beat Kansas City in the divisional playoff game, January 2021. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2022 at 4:13 PM, calfoxwc said:

my opinion...

Garrapalo

Goff

Foles

Cam Newton

Joe Flacco

Colin Clapperdick

Rex Grossman

etc.

No, not anymore, but there are, of course, Mahomes, Allens, Burrows, Herberts, Rogers and Staffords. That's four killers in the AFC alone. And that's assuming Mac Jones, Lamar Jackson aren't gonna be studs moving forward. Right now, we got the 3rd best QB in the North.

And on your list of non top 20 QBs to make a SB, you left off Dilfer and Brad Johnson.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

No, not anymore, but there are, of course, Mahomes, Allens, Burrows, Herberts, Rogers and Staffords. That's four killers in the AFC alone.

Glad you mentioned that.  I thought it but forgot to put it in my earlier comment.  There's a little bunch of quite good QB's in the league.  It's not just one or two lucky teams.  But if you don't have one of the upper tier QB's, then consistent winning is just that much harder for ya.  The Titans are really quite good.  But they don't have the passing game to compete in shoot-outs.  

Every so often a team will sneak away with a SuperBowl win....like Frank Ryan and the Browns did in '64.  (a stellar game by Ryan, stellar game by the D, and Jim Brown wound up getting his 100 yards)  But they were the underdog, and they weren't able to repeat.  Now when Otto Graham was the QB, that was a different story.  They were constantly competing for the Championship.  -  It's always been all about the QB.

If you don't have a top tier QB, then you must keep looking for one.  Draft one every year.  Even if it's a 6th round tall drink of water with a strong arm that plays at Bumfuck State.  Keep diggin'.

15 hours ago, Icecube said:

No, not anymore, but there are, of course, Mahomes, Allens, Burrows, Herberts, Rogers and Staffords. That's four killers in the AFC alone. And that's assuming Mac Jones, Lamar Jackson aren't gonna be studs moving forward. Right now, we got the 3rd best QB in the North.

And on your list of non top 20 QBs to make a SB, you left off Dilfer and Brad Johnson.  

Didn't Mike Hostetler (GIANTS) make a SB appearance too?

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Didn't Mike Hostetler (GIANTS) make a SB appearance too?

I think you mean Jeff Hostetler, but yes he was Phil Simms backup.

And while we’re discussing terrible QB’s that have won the SB, there’s Doug Williams, Jim McMahon, and Mark Rypien.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I think you mean Jeff Hostetler, but yes he was Phil Simms backup.

And while we’re discussing terrible QB’s that have won the SB, there’s Doug Williams, Jim McMahon, and Mark Rypien.

Yeah , Mike Hostetler was a sports reporter here who sucked now that I think about it... Ran into him in the flats acting like a drunk asshole while I was out on a date....

EDIT: Can't say that about Doug Williams cuz he's Black LOL... 

37 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh, I'm sorry, I was being vague I suppose.

I meant your date's name. 

LOL Carolyn... Were still friends today

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2022 at 8:50 PM, Orion said:

Glad you mentioned that.  I thought it but forgot to put it in my earlier comment.  There's a little bunch of quite good QB's in the league.  It's not just one or two lucky teams.  But if you don't have one of the upper tier QB's, then consistent winning is just that much harder for ya.  The Titans are really quite good.  But they don't have the passing game to compete in shoot-outs.  

Every so often a team will sneak away with a SuperBowl win....like Frank Ryan and the Browns did in '64.  (a stellar game by Ryan, stellar game by the D, and Jim Brown wound up getting his 100 yards)  But they were the underdog, and they weren't able to repeat.  Now when Otto Graham was the QB, that was a different story.  They were constantly competing for the Championship.  -  It's always been all about the QB.

If you don't have a top tier QB, then you must keep looking for one.  Draft one every year.  Even if it's a 6th round tall drink of water with a strong arm that plays at Bumfuck State.  Keep diggin'.

Agree on all points: If you don't have a top tier QB, you better get one if you plan on competing for a ring.  Dilfer and Brad Johnson are definitely  the exceptions, especially now-a-days even compared to when they won their rings. And agree, if you don't have one, keep diggin' every year until you find one. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2022 at 1:45 PM, tiamat63 said:

Jimmy G - Was carried, hasn't been back.  Team is forced to carry his corpse to the finish line, which is why the drafted his replacement.  - Lost

Goff - Fell off a cliff when defenses got hip to the scheme.  Like Jimmy G, carried by the talent around him.  He was so bad LA was willing to mortgage huge future draft capital to get rid of him and his salary.  - Lost

Foles - Cinderella story.   Is an average to below-average QB.  Philly has limped along since. - Won

Cam - spectacular 2015 season which was sandwiched between years of up and down play including post season blunders.  - Lost

Joe - Like Foles, played well over his head along with having talent around him and favorable matchups. - won

Colin - Imploded in the entire 1st half of that superbowl.  Scrambled his ass off in the 2nd half then fell short.  When defenses started seeing his eye patterns, he started falling apart. - Lost

Rexy - Founder of the "Fuck it, I'm throwing deep" club...   Was fortunate enough to play during a stretch of remarkable Chicago defense in an NFC that had a bit of a "down" period.   Never went back and never sniffed stats indicative of a playoff worthy QB who actually leads his team as the focal point of the offense. - Lost

Building a team so dominant at so many different positions and winning a Superbowl is as rare as finding top-tier signal callers who can lead the charge.

Can you build a competitive team and help turn around a 20 year stretch of depressing losing culture? Absolutely.    Which is what the Browns should be focused on if no franchise QB presents himself.    It has long been mentioned on this board, this team would be at least competitive, entertaining and prideful to watch if they got slightly-above average QB play along with a strong supporting cast.   At least at that point you can make yourself a wild-card team and continue building said culture of winning games and coaching stability.

And the bold part is exactly where I'm at. A healthy Mayfield had this Browns team a few plays away from an AFC championship game. I very much overall agree with you, but I trust this front office to be aggressive in opportunities should they become available for the QB position. To say it a different way-I'd MUCH, much rather be in a Titans situation (be very good but fall short) with a dude like Mayfield than the absolute shit-show of all of the 2010's. Rodgers and Wilson aren't walking through the door, so Mayfield is the best option for 2022 to God willing play at this level.

Which, funny enough about the 2010's I got the chance to speak with Brian Hoyer at Disney this past weekend. I wasn't going to bother him with his kids but dude was literally standing outside the restroom while I was also waiting for our wives to come out. It was like the 4th time I was right next to the guy to include riding a few rides in their same group. Super, super nice guy- all I said was "Manziel screwed so much up" he just chuckled and said "yeah man he did". 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

And the bold part is exactly where I'm at. A healthy Mayfield had this Browns team a few plays away from an AFC championship game. I very much overall agree with you, but I trust this front office to be aggressive in opportunities should they become available for the QB position. To say it a different way-I'd MUCH, much rather be in a Titans situation (be very good but fall short) with a dude like Mayfield than the absolute shit-show of all of the 2010's. Rodgers and Wilson aren't walking through the door, so Mayfield is the best option for 2022 to God willing play at this level.

Which, funny enough about the 2010's I got the chance to speak with Brian Hoyer at Disney this past weekend. I wasn't going to bother him with his kids but dude was literally standing outside the restroom while I was also waiting for our wives to come out. It was like the 4th time I was right next to the guy to include riding a few rides in their same group. Super, super nice guy- all I said was "Manziel screwed so much up" he just chuckled and said "yeah man he did". 

LOL, in a similar vein...  at my niece's wedding... you know- the Bridal party takes off for a couple of hours for pictures, and you have a lot of dead time until the reception.  So we're at the local watering hole, and I'm taking a picture of a Dolphins jersey "Trusnick" up on the wall.  Wife asks me why?  You trivia buffs may remember Jason stopped by for a cup of coffee at linebacker with the Browns.  FWIW, Jason is Sarah's cousin.  He also played special teams for the Dolphins for several seasons. AND he was at Sarah's reception. BTW, he also was on those Dolphins teams when the Richie Incognito brouhaha went down.  You don't know HOW bad I wanted to ask him for the inside dope of what went down then.  But I decided this isn't the place to start asking pointed questions.  :)   

On 2/22/2022 at 5:07 AM, tiamat63 said:

5th year option is fully guaranteed.  Nobody is going to take Baker in a trade without us giving up insane draft capital.    

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible for Baker to improve.  But when I watch film I deal with what I'm given, a bit of projection based on coaching and effort, but also look to see if high level traits are being flashed (at minimum)  Usually that's my criteria for evaluating draft prospects and rookies.  Baker is a 4th year QB making the same mistakes he did as a second year QB.  What I'm saying is - I have severe doubts, and I've seen little to nothing making me believe it will improve.

I think we get a return.  He has a one year deal- no one gets strapped with a long term contract.   

This certainly isn’t a Brock O situation. 

but yeah I agree he is what he is…average but the potential to be good in a perfect setup. 

50 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think we get a return.  He has a one year deal- no one gets strapped with a long term contract.   

This certainly isn’t a Brock O situation. 

but yeah I agree he is what he is…average but the potential to be good in a perfect setup. 

I definitely agree. If Carson Wentz got a 2nd that turned into a first, there would be no reason as of today that the Browns should expect to take anything less. On top of that to your point, unlike Wentz money is only tied to the dude for one season. I think that sort of trade is very attainable, but I'm not sure what team would field the offer.

When I talk about the work our receivers need,  I don't necessarily mean that in terms of they just need to be all world-athletes.  I mean they need to do the little things better.  It's my hope that Schwartz takes a big leap in his 2nd year because his situational awareness and chemistry with his QB need some serious work.   Yes, we need somebody who can do it all - identify zones, beat man coverage, play fast, physical and be a threat at every level of the field.   We have some speed with Anthony, but he requires times.      Brief examples below:

Man coverage align pre-snap

1682413541_KCmanpre1.thumb.jpg.f1d80e25d9d5d704877d3e24ad68b766.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you get the C1-Rat, the safety has outside leverage on Juice and the corner has him low and inside.    You can go elsewhere but it's dependent on 2 things.

- Your pass pro holding up

- Your receivers eating up cushion on DB's playing very high and then breaking back down the route stem.

Chiefs corners were playing high all night. No double moves, nothing vertical.  Working from the top down.

2022231890_KCman2.thumb.jpg.87f16c7ff967a9d9013d5ddf1c0fd978.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our receivers didn't re-win routes with positioning.  At least, on the outside they didn't.  Instead, trying to win vertical, they just ended up squeezing themselves to the bounds giving the corners an easy life.   What's worse is that pressure arrived.  Baker did an Ok job rolling away from this.   But notice where Schwartz is at the top of this still - he's at the 20 and flying upfield.  

1491303660_Kcman3.thumb.jpg.f1060558a927e7a357555f76dd752600.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It isn't until the 9 yard line that Anthony breaks this and works back to his QB.  But by then it's too late and Baker has already decided to roll and throw away.   A good decision by him because at this point you really can't count on your WR winning back down the steam while you have Dline closing in on you. Ball has to be out one way or the other.    This is just an example of the "feel" Schwartz needs to work on.  When you eat up that much cushion and drive a DB upfield and the ball isn't out, you need to work back down and give your QB a target to the short side of the field.   Yes, yes, yes... I know the Old Classico is man to the boundary works up the field, but that's more of a guideline than a rule.

1070663124_Kcman4.thumb.jpg.f20d74236bc877bb44223deee75d3c43.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another man align look KC showed pre-snap.   Have to take your tips from the safety play. 

1234329651_KC3fade1.thumb.jpg.196282f6da419a22b54e527f3dcc17d0.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to combat man coverage, Stef dials up a rub design from the #2 (DPJ) and #3.   That switch creates a natural pick on the DB's.  So you won't get any clean contact, most especially on the delay man (Schwartz).   The boundary safety has declared, and is stepping down to pick up his assignment low.    This is an example of facing a single high safety who isn't playing middle field.  

1067269012_KCfadepiece.thumb.jpg.584fa15ef2ae90464556a081c10fe1eb.jpg

What amounts to a slot fade, except instead of running that from the #2, Schwartz is running it from the inside move receiver position (#3)

The beautiful part about this design is how badly that single high safety is fucked.  He has to make a decision one way or the other, but because of both his depth and alignment, both of these routes downfield are viable.    So at this point, you're reading him, but it really doesn't matter... Like I said - he's iced.  Even if he is just outside the hash like DPJ it doesn't matter.  He's still 10 yards high on him and the corner playing DPJ has lost the route inside.    WAY too much space to play with there.   

And yes, that's Baker with a pretty damn clean pocket I might add.

889142747_KC3fade2.thumb.jpg.14dc9016bb91371ad4c6c307fd54a436.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Baker see's the safety flip his hips inside, again... not like it matters, and squares his shoulders to attack this slot fade from Schwartz.  But this is where I put things on the rookie when they're deserved.  Instead of just carrying this upfield and slowly widening just outside the numbers, Schwartz breaks this 3 steps out to shake the corner and back up.   It's too much, just too much overplay on the route when you were winning by a step and opening that step because of the play design and your natural speed.    Baker has started his wind-up here.

1441438981_KC3fade3.thumb.jpg.5499fc05528ea3753678f964b4aa6cbd.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schwartz recovers from his break on the out, but it's late.  The ball is 6 yards deep and in the end-zone where Baker expected his WR to be.   It's asking a lot of a rookie receiver who came from a team like Auburn...  You don't have NFL quality position coaches and you play in a run-heavy offense with a QB like Bo-Nix who was extremely limited in his abilities.  Likely poorly coached, which isn't helping any situation.  But this is a homerun ball that, while I don't know if it quite connects if the route is ran better, would have had a much better shot at being 6 points if the rookie was more polished coming into the league.

This is honestly where our receiver room, most importantly Schwartz, needs the most work.     

He's sort of the secret superstar this off-season.  He has elite speed, and I do mean elite.   There's a reason he was a top 100 pick and this coaching staff wants to use his god-given abilities but he needs to become a more well rounded player as opposed to just an athlete who previously just won with being "only" fast.  In order to threaten taking the top off, you need to win in a variety of ways.

1956871503_KC3fade4.thumb.jpg.0cc9ad1946ac4328ab6aa3e551a85c11.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That HAVING been said, I can't absolve Baker completely.   Because while this route is on the rookie Schwartz, and it's a fine read... remember where I said there was even more space to work with on that DPJ post?

This is how you win with a post against single high.   I mentioned this briefly when I broke down that INT Baker threw against GB to the single high safety that was MOTFC. You can beat single high depending on that safety alignment and depth.    If Tyrann is planted between those hashes and lower onto DPJ then you don't throw this.   But like I said, it was incredibly bad positioning that the concept dialed could have exploited that to Bakers content.   While the read to throw to Schwartz was fine, the decision to NOT take DPJ on the deep post/over is almost criminal.  This was dealers choice and that post throw has a much higher percentage of being a TD.

I'm positive Baker saw this in film review and remembered it.  It might help to explain a couple of his throws down the line.  Like what I just referenced above - against GB.  He read single high, but didn't process leverage and depth before uncorking a shot that should have gone to Higgins on the deep over.

I'm not trying to piling on Mayfield, but even when looking for things our skill players need to improve upon, Bakers (in)decision making still grabs my attention.

And I said it during the tail end of the season, this is your proof - neither position group, QB or WR, was so dominant that it could mask the short-comings of the other.

232055791_KCfadeTDmiss.thumb.jpg.2df1585fba9658dfaf61d6fbf8851d4d.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yeah I got this yesterday from a friend.  Lions fan btw 

D253F26A-721D-433A-9219-2CD0B306CF0E.jpeg

That's not even remotely funny to me... I think Baker has taken enough shit from the ignorant public...

• Thanks 1