THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have the Crosstek, and its plenty big enough for me. It's basically a smaller Outback, for $10,000 less and better MPG. 

And now it comes in the bigger engine. 

My buddy just bought a pearl white 2021 Crosstrek 2 weeks ago and it's pretty badass. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, D Bone said:

My buddy just bought a pearl white 2021 Crosstrek 2 weeks ago and it's pretty badass. 

My cousin had a 2006 Ridgeline, which I believe was the first year of production.

Ten years later, and nearly 300,000 miles on it, it still drove like a Cadillac. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

My cousin had a 2006 Ridgeline, which I believe was the first year of production.

Ten years later, and nearly 300,000 miles on it, it still drove like a Cadillac. 

I loved caddy's until they lost their truck frame....

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It really is ridiculous what they ride like. It's far and away the best feeling Honda I have owned and the way the engine and tranny work together is unlike any automatic car that I have owned. 

I cross shopped it with a Tacoma, but it took less than 1 mile while test driving it and wondering if the engine had ever been formally introduced to the tranny to know that I would own a Brat, er El Camino, I mean Ridgeline. 

Mrs. Wife has a 2015 Crosstrek that we bought new.  I'm not a big fan of that transmission.

My 2000 Corvette is in my driveway, under 2 car covers (with a battery maintainer plugged in).  Yesterday we got about 2 feet of snow.  An hour ago I finally got my snow thrower over to it and got a foot of snow off of it.  (my poor baby!)  Mrs. Wife's car has one garage stall and my DD 2014 Mercedes E350 has the other for the winters.  

I should mention, Stay away from Mercedes.  The Germans put waaaay too much electronics and computers in it.  Computers and sensors for friggin' EVERYTHING.  When something goes wrong it's virtually impossible to fix and there's not enough money at the Mint to cover the bills.   I mean, it's great, solid, quiet, smooth, all of that.......but get a Lexus if ya want a luxury car.  WAaaay cheaper to fix and maintain.  

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

My last post in this thread Re: Baker.  Quite possibly my last post on this board where I do film review.   

I went all the way back to week 1 - healthy Baker, healthy Oline, healthy receivers, etc etc.  The groundwork for the way defenses played Mayfield the remainder of the year was pretty much put down by Coach Spagnola and his love of zone disguise and rotation along with CB's playing what amounts to 'muddled' zone depths.     I've seen posters here reference this game as a highlight to show his ability based on the stat line - 21/28 for 321 yards.   (0TD's and 1INT)  Especially given that Baker was 100% this game.  Well, I've watched A LOT of these past 4 years.  Outside of scouts, the Browns front office and people who might be paid to do this shit (PFF), I'd be willing to venture I've put in the next most amount of time.    

There are good reasons I'm critical of Baker's play - he's earned it.   I watched this whole game through, per the usual and I've come to a pretty sad conclusion...   Baker hasn't advanced as a passer in much of any appreciable manner since 2019.    The team around him, the coaches and their designs have helped to elevate his production and work to mask his weaknesses.   But unless those weakness can be improved upon this upcoming off-season and the subsequent 2022 year,  Baker won't be the Browns QB in 2023 with any contract that involves paying him as a top 15 passer.       I didn't have to go past the first few series to find the same type of play that I highlighted from the Bears, Texans, Patriots and Ravens game(s).      Baker would mis-fire on a play, the Browns coaches would adjust their calls to attack KC's designs in a manner a bit more easy for Baker to digest.  By that point KC made their coverage tweaks the next go around.      Enough typing, breakdown stills it is...

It's an ace-based formation (equal receivers to both sides) 

You have Thornhill for KC #22 floating closer to the line as the boundary safety presnap. If he keys run you have an 8 man box otherwise he drops to his call.

1734419750_KC1ace.thumb.jpg.0ed1633c4c8064ff9d18a3078e1a6dca.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 step straight drop (no ball fake) by Baker.   Given how the corners are playing and the alignment of the safeties, it looks like a flavor of Cover 6.  Coach Spaggs loves getting creative with his 2 high looks and how he moves his safeties around, this is a pretty standard call for the Chiefs.    

- Bakers eyes go to the boundary safety and his depth/leverage.

782180188_KC2C6.thumb.jpg.eae1d36ce433849d299b05078a562d12.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The field corner (at the top) doesn't bump, stays in phase and picks up Jarvis in his 1/4 while Tyrann (I think?) is playing the #2 to #1.     Boundary corner jams his receiver, gives Thornhill time to read the pattern to his side and is playing 1/2 field pickup.   qtr/qtr/half.   

Bakers eyes come back to the left and reads the corner stacked on Jarvis, see's the LB pickup Hoop in his curl/flat, but doesn't realize that within 13 yards there are only 2 defenders to match a 3 man pattern.  The corner has been run out and the linebacker occupied. There are only 3 defenders to that side of the hash and the one unoccupied by a receiver is 22 yards from his throwing point.  It's another version of a type of zone flood.   This is an easy swing out to Chubb for free yards.   Instead.....

36492500_KC3.thumb.jpg.4fb694fc2ea850bff39b1216298ca029.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Instead Baker comes back to the middle on his double clutch after leaving his left.  

Funny part is, taking Andy on his little check isn't a terrible idea for 4-5 yards.  But his double clutch allows the linebackers to plant and attack downhill.  So you're asking a fullback to catch and shield like he's a receiver or an elite TE.    

1283627282_KC4.thumb.jpg.1378163ea8b5e55c53bea098b91d5665.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baker double clutches then throws, linebacker recovers and times his hit great on AJ....     Chubb is looking back because I'm pretty positive he was expecting this ball to be going his way at some point.   Either way, that's a lot of real estate to work with giving a running back YAC to work with.    This pass was incomplete by the way.

194147983_KC5.thumb.jpg.3dc962c9b99fbb3e9673035dedde677b.jpg

Same Drive, several plays later.

- Another 2 high shell

- 1 & 3 - Corners close space

- 2 - inside leverage

478128571_KC1b.thumb.jpg.58a945f6a45a575ea9f9c36689540c69.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

- Chiefs with another flavor of Cover 6.   Only the defender over Hoop who had inside leverage has been picked up by the route developing from the backfield.   So Hoop has been turned free to the sideline.  The field corner has his eyes back and isn't high hip on his man now.   At this point you work with space.   But this play has another issue because, as I show in the blue line, Bakers depth of drop makes life hell for protection.  His back foot and body are almost 11 yards.    I've mentioned this and pointed it out before, but it isn't helping the situation by any stretch.   Toss in Baker leaving his primary(s) late and this offense sputters a great deal when the running game isn't having it's way. 

I mentioned Bakers need to stress defenders, especially corners.    Playing safety it's hard to "lie" to a QB.  Playing corner and you can get away with some things in certain calls, they like to lie quite a bit.    But once that curl flat defender fell off, unlike last time, that should have been your throw.   

This is almost like daring someone to shoot in basketball because you don't have faith they'll routinely beat you.   Bakers processing speed and his play style stressing the Oline lead to pass protection issues.

678958714_KC2b.thumb.jpg.3137ec5e7f7f39a12dcf0f117ef0bc03.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baker saved some face but escaping up and out of the pocket.

But instead of moving to space and keeping his eyes downfield, he drops his eyes just long enough to pick up 8 yards on the scramble.   It's positive yards and those yards help keep the offense on schedule.  In a vacuum you think it's a good play until you go back to watch that this is just a weakness that can be exploited in time.    Had Baker climbed the pocket, it's likely he doesn't recover to throw left and take the out, but Jarvis has cleared the corner at the bottom of the screen and Thornhill, with his eyes at the pocket, has opened his hips and is expanding back to the middle of the field.

If Mayfield had gotten out of trouble and located this throw, it's big money to Jarvis on a decent lead.  

758678680_KC3b.thumb.jpg.eed85e1dacd16c84ece976d660269ce8.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

If you didn't believe me that Baker dropped his eyes a bit too much, here's my proof....

985618661_Bakereyesdown.thumb.jpg.e91ed2f2ddd4ea00b3e616151d6b7c93.jpg

I have a couple more plays on deck, one from that same drive as above, the other from the next drive.    I'll put them in the next post as they're a bit long winded.

Gun bunch, please keep in mind the safety alignment. 

- Boundary safety is between the numbers and hash, almost a straight line down to Chubb.

- Field safety is just about on the hash.   

- The WILL backer in a 2pt could rush, bluff rush and/or track the back on release.    If he rushes, that means either the corner will have to check and release the receiver to the safety to pick up the back or the safety will have to drop and take the cover.

- There is no man defender on the point in the trips to disrupt the release.  

51496129_KC1c.thumb.jpg.422b1a873f50d2566878d97bfa36d991.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Safety rotation looks like cover 6, but instead of the 1/2 field safety being to the field (most space) ... that would now be the boundary.  A coverage flip from the above plays, in a sense.   Strange because the boundary corner isn't playing any type of hard flat, barely checked his receiver, but he has eyes back yet continues up field.   That boundary pattern is almost like a little smash concept.  You have the back going flat to occupy the corner and you run the #2 receiver on the 7 (flag)      A very popular concept until you found a lot of these D-coords who run a lot of cover 2 that found tall ass corners who can recover vertical if they got held flat and help to nuke that throw to the '7'.  

Either way, with no defender taking the point man, Hoop runs right up field and through the zone. The linebackers carry a bit and Juice is underneath with dealers choice.  He can break that as a spot or carry it a bit further to open space and settle like he did.       Baker got caught staring down the 2 high thinking that boundary safety would jump the #2 on the flag and he could sneak the post in behind it to Hooper.   You'll remember a similar design burning us against the Chargers.  Harrison took the cheese in 2 high, jumped the route to his side and the bolts snuck the post in behind it.   Same idea, only the KC safeties are far enough off the ball and athletic enough to recover.  

212557376_KC3c.thumb.jpg.4914b6eec82252d6d49e6205f6adf357.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------

- It was smart for Baker to not make this throw on the post to Hoop.  But the issue is he took too long to decide not to pull the trigger.

- Instead of resetting in the pocket and finding Juice underneath or even Chubb open in the flat after the corner is run off (noticing the theme here????)  he bails from what was a clean pocket because instead of "sensing" pressure, he simply anticipated it.   KC did this quite a bit on their 3, 4 and delayed man rushes.  They simulated pressure when it wasn't there and Baker bailed from clean pockets much like in this picture below.    

- If you've been following my posts, I mentioned Baker did that against the Patriots.  If you've been watching Browns football the last 4 years, he did it a TON in 2019.  The argument then was he was spooked because protection was shaky.  Well that bad habit has appeared when protection was solid like you see.    The other argument, that in the Pats game Baker bailed because of fearing contact and further worsening his existing injury can now be thrown out of the window as well.    

1537743301_KC3d.thumb.jpg.c7e0b0ac4372fdfe75d92e98dd33e9dd.jpg

Both throws on this drive that netted either big yards or a 4th down conversion were the primary the whole way.    This was the 2nd one, this is an easy breakdown but highlights how the coaching staff sets up Baker for success with the easiest of things.  But when they expand the playbook to attack in a variety of ways, that processing issue presents itself.

This is just a run off and a slant underneath it.   I remember Tony Romo once saying that, as a QB, when he saw the TE on the outside of the formation you can expect a positive (inside) break the majority of the time it isn't a redzone throw like a fade.  You let a big body play basketball by boxing out either a small(er) DB or a slow(er) LB.

1332579459_KC4A.thumb.jpg.1cbd67ab6bc0af52852ce0dc78bce478.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This 4th down conversion which I thought was balls by Baker, was really a gift by Stef.  All Mayfield had to do was give a ball to the inside shoulder and let Hoop do his thing.

1308154852_KC4b.thumb.jpg.9b04f40ff10e2e78f1c62c4db3859fdc.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

This last one is straight from the same thing I saw in the Texans game.  Baker not utilizing space, stressing defenses to the designs max potential horizontally.  Also I want to say this, Jarvis can still be a weapon.   He just doesn't have the QB with a football I.Q. that can match his own.   Because there was A LOT of yardage left on the table this year that would have gone Juice's way.

This is a sight adjust and something that could be incredibly routine... pitch and catch.   It ends up being a completion, but only by bad math.

You have a 4 man line, all in 3 pt and the SAM Backer is over Njoku.  There is a ton of useable space for Jarvis and Baker to work with here.  Because you've put him in a man assignment against a safety giving him 10 yards of cushion.  The safety might be aligned outside eye, but he's so far off it really doesn't matter.  Alignment and depth go hand in hand in forming effective defense.  

1085184112_KC5A.thumb.jpg.b189c09f45e404223ec770d89f8625ae.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

- The safety signals to the corner almost like he wants to play this as a 2 trap.  That would be where the corner checks his man and falls off to take the #2 flat.  Only the corner needs to check and reroute his man otherwise you walk up the sideline and the safety can't recover if the throw is anywhere near decent.    Juice being a smart and pragmatic guy says "I'll take the free yards" and runs a 5x2 (5 up, 2 out) then settles.  

- Instead Baker slings one on the hook to Njoku in traffic.   It's a completion, I can't argue that.  But stop me when you've heard me say before that Baker has an issue working with the space freely given to him on these types of designs.    If the safety miscommunicates and this ball is out on time, Jarvis might be able to score from here.  So instead of taking a short throw which doesn't even net you a 1st down, take the YAC and let your athletes down their thing.    If Baker struggles to routinely do the simple things, I have little to no faith he improves when the tests become harder in the coming months.  

1079562517_KC5B.thumb.jpg.29f09bae76ebff8334192da7dc3a58c2.jpg

That's it in a nutshell.  Bakers struggles are mostly of his own demons.   Is it a lack of study and preperation? Is it just a lack of processing ability?   Is it both?   I'm not entirely sure, but I've watched games now from the very start to the very end of the season and Baker did not show improvement with any consistency that would lead me to believe there is light at the end of this tunnel.

So I'm closing the chapter on the year that was this season and hoping... praying...  that Baker somehow turns a corner and becomes a QB worth handing big time dollars to.  Because if he doesn't then this team will be looking for another signal caller (if Berry already isn't) or worse - Baker gets paid.   Then you have another situation that is almost an exact duplicate of what the Browns did with Derek Anderson.  At which point I will be completely convinced that I'm stuck in a time loop and forced to watch the same things over and over.

edit:  Almost forgot, should this board go the way of the dodo bird, I'm considering starting a Facebook page and putting my film reviews there.  I've reached out to a friend who is way nerdy about video and sound capture/editing.   I've also considered doing this in a much easier to digest video form and using youtube.    My biggest problem is time.  These things take a good deal of time and I'm not sure I'm in a place to consistently give the time necessary to producing content of the highest quality.   The one thing I can't stand about people who do football analysis is that they put themselves on a time schedule or deadline.  Which means that they run the risk of being crunched for their assessments, missing things, and their work doesn't stand up over time.   I fucking refuse to compromise my work for the sake of getting things out on self-imposed deadlines.

That said, judging by how fast and how many views go up in this thread when I post these things (on top of my camp threads getting a few thousand views) there may be an actual audience who appreciates my work.   So maybe that would be worth it?   Either way, should I find myself taking on that type of project, TBB members will be the first to know.    Thanks for reading, guys and girls.  Hope you enjoy(ed)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Where do you get these pictures, I wonder? We could get pictures and criticize alleged mistakes by a lot of other top quarterbacks in the NFL?

Piling on to Baker is boring - so Baker wasn't perfect ? gosh darn.

Terry Bradshaw played so poorly his first three years he was almost booed out of Pittsburg - he has said so himself.

But let's get back to the KC game - (btw, you referred to yourself about 11 times - we get it)....

Baker threw for over 300 yards against the Chiefs.

Here is the box score for receptions:

(NOTE: guess who is missing in the list? Imagine what Baker could accomplish, without mistakes, if he had wide receivers like the Bengals have. Like several top teams have. Nitpicking him without realizing receivers are not competitive to the point of making the offense roar to wins - Baker isn't perfect? GOSH DARN. Maybe I could post some NFL video of Mahomes making mistakes. or rothlicksbooger. Sorry, not impressed with cherry picked plays. Improve the wr group and watch Baker make far fewer mistakes.

Cleveland Receiving
  REC YDS TD LONG TGTS
D. Njoku 3 76 0 43 5
J. Landry 5 71 0 32 5
A. Schwartz 3 69 0 44 5
K. Hunt 3 28 0 19 3
A. Hooper 3 27 0 14 3
N. Chubb 2 18 0 10 2
H. Bryant 1 17 0 17 2
B. Mayfield 0 11 0 11 0
D. Peoples-Jones 1 4 0 4 1
A. Janovich 0 0 0 0 1
TEAM 21 321 0 44

What I'm saying is, Terry Bradshaw had a terrible time his first few years. Then realize great quarterbacks are not perfect.

Here's an exceelent read:

http://steelersuk.com/history/seventies/terry bradshaw 1.htm

THE EARLY BRADSHAW YEARS

EDIT: One final ? note on qb criticism:

Bradshaw struggled badly his first few years. He was drafted in 1970. I was graduated from hs. We always watched the NFL drafts.

The squealers never made a super bowl til 1975.

In 1974, they drafted:

Round 1 - Lynn Swann

Round 2 - Jack Lambert

Round 3- John Stallworth.

That kicked their offense passing into high gear.

I look forward to the Browns seriously upgraded their wr room (and kicker(s)),

and they will be in the playoffs again, maybe even the super bowl.

I love when people try to use a quarterback that was drafted during the Vietnam War as an example of how Baker could become more than an average starting QB in the NFL in the 2020s.

It warms the cockles of my heart.

That's right, the cockles. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Had to fix it - 1970. Type too fast.

Take the Bengals in 2020.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/results/2020

They lost their first two games, then tied in the third game. Beat Jacksonville in the fourth game. Narrowly lost to

our Browns game 5.   . Won their sixth game vs Jacksonville. Got blasted 27-3 in the seventh game. Won their eighth game.

Got blasted by the squealers in the ninth game. Got blasted by Washington in the tenth game, and got hurt that game.

Up to that point - they were 2-7-1. Burrow is a terrific qb, but the idea he can win games by himself is not valid.

The next draft they drafted Jamarr Chase #7 overall.

went to the superbowl.

Same qb. Burrow isn't perfect either. and he wasn't born in 1920. lol

• Haha 1

And for the record  Terry Bradshaw is exactly two years and twenty days older than me.  

(easy math to be able to figure that out    -and-   available right here on TBB. ;) )

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And for the record  Terry Bradshaw is exactly two years and twenty days older than me.  

(easy math to be able to figure that out    -and-   available right here on TBB. ;) )

ya, it's history. Those who ignore it, don't learn from it. Then history tends to repeat itself, which led to the quagmire the Browns were in for so many years. Berry doesn't play that - I'd already mentioned Burrow, so......wr is the biggest need of the Browns.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-2022-edge-rankings-senior-bowl

Browns offseason: Five biggest needs in Cleveland

51 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

ya, it's history. Those who ignore it, don't learn from it. Then history tends to repeat itself, which led to the quagmire the Browns were in for so many years. Berry doesn't play that - I'd already mentioned Burrow, so......wr is the biggest need of the Browns.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-2022-edge-rankings-senior-bowl

Browns offseason: Five biggest needs in Cleveland

Hmmm 7 mentioned in the list and 3 more mentioned by name  =  a lot of the highly sought after edge rushers maybe second only to the franchise quarterbacks to be spread around the 32 teams in the first and maybe second rounds of the upcoming NFL draft.

And 5 of the 10 from the B1G and one from Cincinnati. Who if any end up with the BROWNS ?

This is why the Draft is so much fun and is still a crap shoot every year.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Where do you get these pictures, I wonder?

Like several top teams have. Nitpicking him without realizing receivers are not competitive to the point of making the offense roar to wins 

Neat.

You seemingly can't fucking wrap your tiny mind around the fact that nearly EVERYTHING I've posted boils down to Bakers pre and post snap decision making in a vacuum.  No other variables at play other than what he reads and does or doesn't do with the ball.  

Edit:  WHERE do I get these pics from?  Well either there's a secret cult with a secret website dedicated to "Baker hating"  - OR - I pay the $150 a year for the All-22 game pass, watch them in full that way and breakdown the plays when I review. 

But no, they're TOTALLY not my screenshots, work and original thoughts or anything like that...   🙄🙄

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Neat.

You seemingly can't fucking wrap your tiny mind around the fact that nearly EVERYTHING I've posted boils down to Bakers pre and post snap decision making in a vacuum.  No other variables at play other than what he reads and does or doesn't do with the ball.  

baloney. It's a team game - when Doug Dieken was clearly lamenting that the wr's were not getting open, that pretty much tells

any honest fan that is isn't a big help to Baker. A qb has to have confidence in his wr's. Experts all around are saying the wr group was vastly overrated. Hodge and a few others didn't make things happen when they left. I've been watching football for decades - since eh....1957? and no qb is absolutely perfect. Even Mahomes made some big mistakes in the playoffs. Peyton Manning once threw three interceptions in a playoff game. Baker isn't perfect. Neither are you, none of us is. Your assumptions are just yours - if the Browns coaches say it, I'll go with it. But they were playing Baker hurt, so he can't be all the incompetent bad reads/ignorant qb you are alleging he is.

as great as Mahomes is, he had mistakes in the playoff game vs Cincy.

https://hosted.ap.org/republicanherald/article/a4df72baf16a76f48007cd9ddba510bd/mistakes-offense-cost-chiefs-3rd-straight-super-bowl-trip

your badgering - Monday morning qb-ing - is just that - you have an ego-centric agenda, and not seeing the forest for the trees.

So, with a terrific cast of wr's who can get open vs the zone and man to man (even Landry is said to have trouble with that in some sportswriter circles), watch Baker have a far easier time making great "reads".

So if Davante Adams and Garrett Wilson with a healthy Oline cant get us over the hump what are we waiting for?  Worst case, It seems like we can sign a QB to play like Baker for half the price and start the process of moving on while gaining a second day pick possibly on an asset we will not hold in 2023.  

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Neat.

Edit:  WHERE do I get these pics from?  Well either there's a secret cult with a secret website dedicated to "Baker hating"  - OR - I pay the $150 a year for the All-22 game pass, watch them in full that way and breakdown the plays when I review. 

But no, they're TOTALLY not my screenshots, work and original thoughts or anything like that...   🙄🙄

When Cal can't admit what his eyes or your posts are demonstrating... Just whine about our lack of WRs instead.  (and on some of those screen shots, we clearly had guys open) I don't even think you ragged on Baker for holding onto the ball for too long much...   Another glaring fault of his, that's a direct result of not being able to process what the defense is showing him post snap a couple of beats too slow.... 

So let's see regarding the Browns...  Stud o-line... check...  stud running game... check....  Well golly gee... all we need on top of that  is a staple of stud WRs who can get open by 10 yards so Baker can relive his glory days at Oklahoma.... Shit- give any 1\2 decent NFL QB that kind of luxury cockpit, I'll put Bryan Hoyer in the Super Bowl with it..  :D   

13 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

So if Davante Adams and Garrett Wilson with a healthy Oline cant get us over the hump what are we waiting for?  Worst case, It seems like we can sign a QB to play like Baker for half the price and start the process of moving on while gaining a second day pick possibly on an asset we will not hold in 2023.  

5th year option is fully guaranteed.  Nobody is going to take Baker in a trade without us giving up insane draft capital.    

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible for Baker to improve.  But when I watch film I deal with what I'm given, a bit of projection based on coaching and effort, but also look to see if high level traits are being flashed (at minimum)  Usually that's my criteria for evaluating draft prospects and rookies.  Baker is a 4th year QB making the same mistakes he did as a second year QB.  What I'm saying is - I have severe doubts, and I've seen little to nothing making me believe it will improve.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

5th year option is fully guaranteed.  Nobody is going to take Baker in a trade without us giving up insane draft capital.    

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible for Baker to improve.  But when I watch film I deal with what I'm given, a bit of projection based on coaching and effort, but also look to see if high level traits are being flashed (at minimum)  Usually that's my criteria for evaluating draft prospects and rookies.  Baker is a 4th year QB making the same mistakes he did as a second year QB.  What I'm saying is - I have severe doubts, and I've seen little to nothing making me believe it will improve.

Baker will surely start next season with an upgraded WR group.

By the Numbers: Baker Mayfield sets franchise record ...

By the Numbers: Baker Mayfield sets franchise record, sends Browns to comeback victory Cleveland's QB completed 21 straight passes in the 37-34 win Oct 25, 2020 at 05:38 PM

21 straight passes to  from a  qb who "can't make pre-snap reads" ???

I say Baker comes back, and the Browns offense will have some major WR additions.

Many experts are saying WR is the biggest need of the Browns. Why would that be, if all they have to do

is change to a qb  with a magic twanger who can make subpar group of wr's magical? nah.

Where DO you get those pics/videos of NFL plays?

A star qb in 2020, but he "can't ..."

"I don't think so, Tim"

character_large_332x363_al.jpg?height=36

3 Reasons Cleveland Browns should target WR Mike Williams ...

The Cleveland Browns need help in the wide receiver department. Mike Williams of the Chargers is available in free agency and could be the spark they need.

Browns: Baker Mayfield needs an elite WR cus Odell Beckham ...

Browns: Baker Mayfield needs an elite WR because Odell Beckham isn't anymore Odell Beckham is no longer the answer for Baker Mayfield and the Browns. The Browns need help at receiver. This isn't a...

How badly do the Cleveland Browns need a receiver? Look at ...

Add any level of need you might imagine to the Browns' pass-catching corps. Wide receiver is a pressing, crying, desperate, howling need that must, must, must be met this offseason.

19 hours ago, hoorta said:

When Cal can't admit what his eyes or your posts are demonstrating... Just whine about our lack of WRs instead.

Ya know, it's really not much different from Po.  (where's he been anyway?).  Po loved Hogan.  

I don't like Baker's decision making.  He's too quick to pass up the shorter receiver (who often times has plenty of room to add YAC) to look for a receiver downfield...which will make the play more about himself.  He'll even try running for the 1st down rather than throw it to the receiver just past the sticks, 7 yards in front of him.  The smart QB's don't do things like that.  And because he's not tall, he sometimes misses high over the middle of the field while trying to throw it hard and yet over the linemen.

I'm pretty much assuming that he's our QB next year....but I wouldn't be very surprised if something were to happen.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Ya know, it's really not much different from Po.  (where's he been anyway?).  Po loved Hogan.  

I don't like Baker's decision making.  He's too quick to pass up the shorter receiver (who often times has plenty of room to add YAC) to look for a receiver downfield...which will make the play more about himself.  He'll even try running for the 1st down rather than throw it to the receiver just past the sticks, 7 yards in front of him.  The smart QB's don't do things like that.  And because he's not tall, he sometimes misses high over the middle of the field while trying to throw it hard and yet over the linemen.

I'm pretty much assuming that he's our QB next year....but I wouldn't be very surprised if something were to happen.

How rude. LOL

nah, I'm not like PO at all. If they draft a qb to replace Baker, I'm good. It's their decision, they know a heck of a lot more than we do.

It's just that, sure, I would like to see Baker throw certain short open throws, but it's more complicated than that. Decision making isn't all on the qb. Pre snap bull crap - the qb has to have confidence in the throw to make the play needed. I wouldn't throw to a wide open back out in the flat when it's third and nine or more. The chances are slim when they are giving that easily. Like the one play where Landry gets a chance to make a half back throw - he got mugged. I'd have to go back and look, but I don't believe he had any wr open.

I said before, I would never have played Baker that first pittspuke game - he was hurt. Not playing Keenum just confounds me. I think when you have a subpar group of wr's - it kills decision making often. All over the internet and sport shows, they are talking about how the Browns NEED to rebuild their wr group. So, I'm just saying- it is not all on Baker. He isn't perfect, I get it. The clip of Landry raising hell with the rest of the wr group - that was for good reason. I hope they can keep Landry - but he's been hurt a lot, and will make 14 million? They have big decisions to make.

It won't matter who starts at qb for the Browns if they go with the same wr cast, plain and simply - they will not.

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

How rude. LOL

:)

I said before, I would never have played Baker that first pittspuke game - he was hurt. Not playing Keenum just confounds me.

As I said in another thread (I think it was a different thread); If the medical team says that your starting #1 overall pick QB is medically cleared to play....and the player says that he's good to play....and he partakes in the practices....as the HC, what is going to be your reason for benching the starting QB?  Are you gonna say that he's hurt and your medical team is a bunch of quacks?  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1