THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Name one QB in the league already that isn't named Brady or Rodgers that can come here and turn things around quickly. Any other QB will surely take time to right the ship. I would give Matt Ryan an honorable mention but who knows how much he has left in the tank?

edit

and if not, then your talking about drafting another QB, which is even more time.

Joe Burrow. 

What did I win?

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

So, what do you think we would have to give up for Joe Burrow?

Nothing, because it'll never happen.   Just a dream scenario. 

As for who can turn it around? Baker is a good candidate provided he commits to film study and cut out the terrible decision making.  That's all this offense needs to at least be reliable.  

• Upvote 2

somebody should create a poll on which new age QB will be first to win a Super Bowl. Minus Pat Mahomes because he already won.

Mac Jones

Trevor Lawerence

Joe Burrow

Josh Allen

Lamar Jackson

Baker Mayfield

Justin Herbert

Tua Tagovailoa

Kyler Murray 

Jalen Hurts

Did I miss any?

1 hour ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

A classic Baker apologist post, cherry picking some random stat from another QB to justify Baker's shittyness.

Here's some real, actual data comparing all starting QB's in 2021. The key stat is not how many interceptions, but how many interceptions per attempt. You'll note Baker was 4th worst in interceptions per attempt in the entire NFL. The only QB's worse were Justin Fields, Mike Glennon, and Zach Wilson - two rookies and a 3rd string QB thrust into the starting role due to injuries - all on terrible teams. No matter how you spin it, Baker was complete dog shit this year. 

NAME SEASON TM GP INT ATT INTERCEPTIONS PER ATTEMPT
Justin Fields Justin Fields 2021 CHICHI 12 159 13.25
Mike Glennon Mike Glennon 2021 NYGNYG 6 90 15
Zach Wilson Zach Wilson 2021 NYJNYJ 13 213 16.38461538
Baker Mayfield Baker Mayfield 2021 CLECLE 14 253 18.07142857
Andy Dalton Andy Dalton 2021 CHICHI 8 149 18.625
Taylor Heinicke Taylor Heinicke 2021 WASWAS 16 321 20.0625
Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo 2021 SFSF 15 301 20.06666667
Tua Tagovailoa Tua Tagovailoa 2021 MIAMIA 13 263 20.23076923
Davis Mills Davis Mills 2021 HOUHOU 13 263 20.23076923
Sam Darnold Sam Darnold 2021 CARCAR 12 243 20.25
Lamar Jackson Lamar Jackson 2021 BALBAL 12 246 20.5
Mac Jones Mac Jones 2021 NENE 17 352 20.70588235
Ryan Tannehill Ryan Tannehill 2021 TENTEN 17 357 21
Trevor Lawrence Trevor Lawrence 2021 JAXJAX 17 359 21.11764706
Matt Ryan Matt Ryan 2021 ATLATL 17 375 22.05882353
Joe Burrow Joe Burrow 2021 CINCIN 16 366 22.875
Matthew Stafford Matthew Stafford 2021 LARLAR 17 404 23.76470588
Kyler Murray Kyler Murray 2021 ARIARI 14 333 23.78571429
Josh Allen Josh Allen 2021 BUFBUF 17 409 24.05882353
Ben Roethlisberger Ben Roethlisberger 2021 PITPIT 16 390 24.375
Derek Carr Derek Carr 2021 LVLV 17 428 25.17647059
Dak Prescott Dak Prescott 2021 DALDAL 16 410 25.625
Patrick Mahomes Patrick Mahomes 2021 KCKC 17 436 25.64705882
Justin Herbert Justin Herbert 2021 LACLAC 17 443 26.05882353
Tom Brady Tom Brady 2021 TBTB 17 485 28.52941176

You are complete dog shit EVERY YEAR!

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

o.k so who who gonna get to replace him ?

...and so this is the $64k question.  But it's possible that the whole problem is more than just Baker.  Perhaps part of it has to do with our offensive passing scheme...which of course is Stef's baby.  We know that OBJ was not very productive here.  Is it all on Baker?  I wish that I could ask OBJ why he just absolutely had to leave a pretty successful team (at the time of his departure we were still thought to be) right in the middle of the season.

32 minutes ago, Orion said:

...and so this is the $64k question.  But it's possible that the whole problem is more than just Baker.  Perhaps part of it has to do with our offensive passing scheme...which of course is Stef's baby.  We know that OBJ was not very productive here.  Is it all on Baker?  I wish that I could ask OBJ why he just absolutely had to leave a pretty successful team (at the time of his departure we were still thought to be) right in the middle of the season.

is it me or did baker seem to be better in the shotgun ?

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

As for who can turn it around?

Baker is a good candidate provided he commits to film study and cut out the terrible decision making. 

That's all this offense needs to at least be reliable.  

This ^^^

DvgzRcEj8CyQ1O2TZq.gif       

51 minutes ago, Orion said:

This reminded me of something I read a few years ago about Stefanski's time as OC in Minnesota. I did some digging and came up with this article from 2020 about why Stefon Diggs decided to leave the Vikings:

Stefon Diggs finally admits why he wanted out of Minnesota

"Minnesota finished with the second-most rushing attempts in 2017 when they went 13-3 and made it all the way to the NFC Championship. Then the Vikings offense got pass-happy under new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo in 2018 and Zimmer made it clear multiple times throughout the season that he wanted the team to run the ball more like they did in 2017.

DeFilippo didn’t listen to Minnesota’s head coach and it resulted in him getting fired before the 2018 season even ended.

Then Zimmer made Kevin Stefanski his offensive coordinator and the Vikings brought in Gary Kubiak to be an offensive adviser. Kubiak’s offensive scheme is known for its zone-blocking rushing attack and Minnesota wanted to implement his methods into their offense".

What struck me is the similarities between Diggs' criticism of the Vikings offensive scheme under Stefanski and OBJ and Co's critique of Stefanski as HC of the Browns. Stefanski is a disciple of Kubiak's system, so he priorities the running game over the passing game, perhaps to the detriment of the latter. It's all well and good to establish the run to help set up the passing game, but - to me at least - Stefanski relies too much on the running game and does not have a good enough passing game plan to compensate if that run game is shut down by opposing D's. Perhaps we don't have the personnel at WR to help stretch the field, but when you see that OBJ's performance in the final half of the 2021 season exceeded his production for the past year and a half with the Browns, barring injuries, it gets harder to blame OBJ being a diva as the sole reason for his lack of production with the Browns.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

Haha yeah I'm noticing that. If you counter the insanity with rational thought to some of the village idiots on here, you are met with immediate scorn.

Village idiots here? Say it ain't so!!😱

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

Haha yeah I'm noticing that. If you counter the insanity with rational thought to some of the village idiots on here, you are met with immediate scorn.

The nice thing is, some of them kind of "self-identify" by using communist-themed profile pics, so at least you can see them coming. 😉

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

some of them kind of "self-identify" by using communist-themed profile pics, so at least you can see them coming. 😉

r37OHrvkhX0V6iSub4.gif     😀     

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Orion said:

Is it all on Baker?  I wish that I could ask OBJ why he just absolutely had to leave a pretty successful team (at the time of his departure we were still thought to be) right in the middle of the season.

I say if you can’t ask OBJ ask his Father. I’m sure he’ll elaborate, possibly with video 😐

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

I say if you can’t ask OBJ ask his Father. I’m sure he’ll elaborate, possibly with video 😐

The screenshot rolling around on the twittersphere and Instagram of Odell being "open" against San Diego was the lead off on his fathers clip.

Somewhere in this thread I broke down how that really wasn't Bakers "fault" given the play design vs what the bolts defense was showing.   However Baker isn't completely absolved from that play. My breakdown was fair.

It only highlighted how few people actually apply context and have the ability to do the work for themselves to find the answers. Or worse, how few people are willing to do it. The overwhelming majority will see something and align wherever their disposition previously held.   

I trust odells dads video like I trust an arsonist watching my home.

16 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

This reminded me of something I read a few years ago about Stefanski's time as OC in Minnesota. I did some digging and came up with this article from 2020 about why Stefon Diggs decided to leave the Vikings:

Stefon Diggs finally admits why he wanted out of Minnesota

"Minnesota finished with the second-most rushing attempts in 2017 when they went 13-3 and made it all the way to the NFC Championship. Then the Vikings offense got pass-happy under new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo in 2018 and Zimmer made it clear multiple times throughout the season that he wanted the team to run the ball more like they did in 2017.

DeFilippo didn’t listen to Minnesota’s head coach and it resulted in him getting fired before the 2018 season even ended.

Then Zimmer made Kevin Stefanski his offensive coordinator and the Vikings brought in Gary Kubiak to be an offensive adviser. Kubiak’s offensive scheme is known for its zone-blocking rushing attack and Minnesota wanted to implement his methods into their offense".

What struck me is the similarities between Diggs' criticism of the Vikings offensive scheme under Stefanski and OBJ and Co's critique of Stefanski as HC of the Browns. Stefanski is a disciple of Kubiak's system, so he priorities the running game over the passing game, perhaps to the detriment of the latter. It's all well and good to establish the run to help set up the passing game, but - to me at least - Stefanski relies too much on the running game and does not have a good enough passing game plan to compensate if that run game is shut down by opposing D's. Perhaps we don't have the personnel at WR to help stretch the field, but when you see that OBJ's performance in the final half of the 2021 season exceeded his production for the past year and a half with the Browns, barring injuries, it gets harder to blame OBJ being a diva as the sole reason for his lack of production with the Browns.

Nice job with that!  A little history on it, former Denver HC Mike Shanahan was the first coach to adopt the zone blocking schemes of Alex Gibbs (where Kubiak worked under Shanahan). Gibbs actually got this from Cincy OL Coach Jim McNally in the late 80s.  Denver won 2 Superbowls with in the 90s with it; and there were never any issues with getting passes to Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey in that offense.  The only thing that diluted their numbers were all the favorable matchups TE Shannon Sharpe exploited downfield.  Meatball on spaghetti, they had Terrell Davis putting up elite numbers rushing and scoring.  

The reason for all that, if you get all the right people in place - there's no reason you can't attack with your WRs.  Kyle Shanahan's favorite toy looks like Deebo Samuel while pretty much anyone he puts in at RB seems to be productive (including Samuel sometimes).

Here's a little video for anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/N-E2qsBii54

21 hours ago, Orion said:

do ya think being that obj is  A #2 in l.a has anything to do with it

2 hours ago, ATOM said:

do ya think being that obj is  A #2 in l.a has anything to do with it

Actually no, I don't think anything that OBJ is doing now matters regarding why we couldn't get him the ball...and/or why our passing game was a flop in 2021.  I would just love to know what he thought about the whole thing and why wanted out so badly.  I'm sure Berry knows, because he talked with him at the time....but Berry won't talk.  I even tried water-boarding on him.  :)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Orion said:

I would just love to know what he thought about the whole thing and why wanted out so badly.  I'm sure Berry knows, because he talked with him at the time....but Berry won't talk.  I even tried water-boarding on him.  :)

I do know OBJ gave up guarantee'd money to leave.. Rare in the NFL..

Cabot alert 🏮.. But....I've read other reporters stating this same statement.. Confused since..

A source told cleveland.com that Beckham asked to be traded multiple times, including in the offseason when he was coming off surgery to repair a torn ACL. He asked again after the Steelers game, which cleveland.com has reported multiple times, in which he caught one pass for 6 yards..

here's Cabot's 1st gibber-jab...     https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/browns-to-release-odell-beckham-jr-friday-as-soon-as-the-financial-deal-is-reached-after-steelers-game-was-the-last-straw-for-his-camp-source-says.html

OBJ was timely added to the Rams roster after their true WR1 Robert Woods went down for the year.. Woods was having a good season..   

• Thanks 1