THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns trade for Amari Cooper

bjh2130

2 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Hard to see a spot for Landry now unless he seriously restructures. Makes you wonder if they are targeting a different value at #13 too. Not against it all, going to be great value in the 2nd round for WR talent.

thought the same thing could we go D line  at 13 ? I mean we have to face jackson and burrows twice a year 

19 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

I just saw on Twitter via Adam Schefter the browns are sending a 2022 5th round and 6th round pick to the Cowboys for Amari Cooper and a 6th rounder. Amari definitely didn't produce as well last year but I'm all in on this trade. A 5th and a 6th is not much at all. 

So it’s basically Cooper for a 5th rounder 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Apparently $22M

I read where it was 16 million.

46 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Hard to see a spot for Landry now unless he seriously restructures. Makes you wonder if they are targeting a different value at #13 too. Not against it all, going to be great value in the 2nd round for WR talent.

My stupid mock draft pick, Jalen Tolbert, S. Alabama ! lol. and Jameson Williams.... I really think it's defensive line/end at 13. It's going to be a very interesting draft.

29 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

we need this WR threat.  Landry will get traded and we will pick a WR in second round.

Landry will get restructured, & wants to be here. He's on the last year of his contract. dead cap is only $1.5 million.  We're not spending $35 million at the WR position, and we've got $20+ million tied up in the TE position with Njoku franchised, and Hooper making $11 million.  

Solid WR choice for value given up..

sadly, this sounds legit..  Source: #Browns still attempting to have Jarvis Landry restructure. The issue: Landry wants to add years to the deal, Cleveland seems hesitant on that front. Landry now has permission to seek a trade. Very fluid situation.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I’m not crazy about this one.

Looks like we are taking on a lot of money…and losing Landry.

Is Amari even a clear upgrade over Landry? Considering his Play and intangibles.

If Landry restructures and we add another 2/3 type via free agency you get to the same cap number we have now with Cooper. 

Who cares really…just shuffling chairs on the deck of the titanic until we get a QB 

• Upvote 1

I like the move... I'd still go WR #1 in the draft... Olave or wilson if there would be phenomenal but don't see it happening unless Browns move up...

10 minutes ago, nickers said:

I like the move... I'd still go WR #1 in the draft... Olave or wilson if there would be phenomenal but don't see it happening unless Browns move up...

theres london burks olave and wilson  I am sure one of which will be available  without having to move up or we just go d-line 

16 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Is Amari even a clear upgrade over Landry?

In certain respects.  As a vertical option where Amari shines? Absolutely.

Getting him the ball downfield is another matter entirely.

This was a move to help demonstrate whether Baker will be paid this time next year. 

from OTC..

The Browns have been desperate for wide receivers and decided to opt into Cooper’s $20 million salary for this season rather than chance losing him in free agency to another team. It is an interesting discussion about value in the NFL. On one hand the only risk they have with Cooper is the $20 million for this year, but that $20 million is the 4th highest salary for a receiver in the NFL at this time. If he plays well enough then they will need to pay $20 million next season, currently the highest salary for WR’s in 2023.

Had they signed him in free agency they certainly would have guaranteed him more money, maybe as much as $40 million, but a two year salary in the range of $32 to $35 million rather than $40. Given that Dallas was willing to do a deal for a 5th rounder also should have been an indication to Cleveland that there was a very limited market for him at this price.

Of course nothing prevents them from trying to negotiate a better contract with him. In fact I would not be surprised if they did something along those lines by guaranteeing him his 2023 salary in return for a salary reduction. If Cooper is not a top flight receiver they can always work on a cheaper contract in 2023.

Cooper will carry a $20 million salary cap charge in 2022, 2023, and 2024. Only this year’s salary carries any guarantee. The Browns will need to clear cap space to execute the trade as Cooper $20 million cap hit would put them about $3 million over the cap. The most logical move is to either release Jarvis Landry or to attempt to get him to take a pay cut. Landry counts for $16.4 million on the salary cap and they would free up $14.9 million with his release.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

This was a move to help demonstrate whether Baker will be paid this time next year. 

And I think you and I and some others know the answer to that question 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Landry will get restructured, & wants to be here. He's on the last year of his contract. dead cap is only $1.5 million.  We're not spending $35 million at the WR position, and we've got $20+ million tied up in the TE position with Njoku franchised, and Hooper making $11 million.  

I've been reading that now Landry is requesting a trade

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

That carries the pungent scent of another wasted year 😕

6 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Hard to see a spot for Landry now

In the slot :) ...not what you meant but it's where I like him playing.  I hope he gets a deal done to stay here.  

A huge need has been addressed.  A solid veteran WR has been added to WR room.  The pressure to take a WR at pick 13 is now off.   Of course you can still pick one...but if your coveted guy(s) isn't there, you can snag one in rounds 2 or 3.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Is Amari even a clear upgrade over Landry? Considering his Play and intangibles.

If Landry restructures and we add another 2/3 type via free agency you get to the same cap number we have now with Cooper. 

Who cares really…just shuffling chairs on the deck of the titanic until we get a QB 

12 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I loved what Landry meant to the turn-around from the 1-31 football we were sentenced to prior to his arrival.  Unfortunately, he's taken a beating the last couple years.  He had off season surgery to repair a Hip Fracture in Feb 2020. Landry sprained the hip in Sept 2020 but played through the injury. More bad luck added broken ribs in Oct 2020.  Then, he missed 4 games for a sprained MCL in 2021.  Then he strained his knee in Nov 2021 and missed intermittent series vrs the Lions.  A WR's hips and knees are very important to his change of direction as well as his stop and go (to an extent).

Here's some receiving stats to illustrate the impact of wear and tear on his production:

2018: 81 REC, 976 YDS, 12.0 AVG, 51 LNG,  4 TD

2019: 83 REC, 1174 YDS, 14.1 AVG, 65 LNG, 6 TD

2020: 72 REC, 840 YDS, 11.7 AVG, 32 LNG,  3 TD

2021: 52 REC, 570 YDS, 11.0 AVG, 38 LNG,  2 TD  

My worry about Cooper is that neither of his 1st 2 teams felt he was a keeper.  Let's hope the 3rd time is a charm.  This is a year the NFL Draft looks like there could be some very talented WRs available in our draft slot at #13 overall; but this move may shift the WR priority to round 2.  Then they can go edge rush or DT or trade-back.  We shall see...