THE BROWNS BOARD

BROWNS OUT OF WATSON RACE

ATOM

There is no way if I'm a GM I'm shelling out multiple first rounders, young defensive talent AND that kinda money in a contract for a guy who is going to be suspended starting the year.  Whining and giving up on your team is a great look too.. Not to mention being hinged on the fact he might get popped by a 23rd woman any day..

If he was a free agent and I'll I had to do was pay him...

• Upvote 2

Watson would be an upgrade over Baker, but it's a moot point since the Browns can't afford him:

Screenshot_20220313-170641-206.thumb.png.0f63305b53dcfefe25d145f496193af1.png

Browns are over the cap after picking up Cooper's contract, and there's no way Berry would gut the team to clear enough cap space to pick up Watson.

4 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Watson would be an upgrade over Baker, but it's a moot point since the Browns can't afford him:

Screenshot_20220313-170641-206.thumb.png.0f63305b53dcfefe25d145f496193af1.png

Browns are over the cap after picking up Cooper's contract, and there's no way Berry would gut the team to clear enough cap space to pick up Watson.

I don't think you have to "gut" the team to get there. Cutting Keenam, Jarvis and Hooper while trading Mayfield gets you there and many of those may be moves they're already considering.

Granted, you would have to replace spots on the roster, so more creativity would be required. But there have been teams in far worse condition who have made it work. 

Not proposing they do it. Just saying it could be done without losing much from the roster that is particularly productive.

EDIT: I guess it would be a restructuring for Hooper rather than a cut which doesn't save much. But you could potentially do better than my numbers if done right. 

Cutting Hooper after 6/1 [or, i suppose "formally to take effect" 6/1] is only 3.75 dead with a 9.5 savings.. 3.6 is carried in 2022 for Clowney and he likely won't be here.

Problem is that Stef's offense uses 2 TE's and only Njoku can start.  Harrison Bryant needs to improve to be more than a sub.

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Highly doubt the move happens.  I hate the idea of giving up Newsome, but Watson has played in the south and the southwest his entire career.    Just don't see him saying "Cleveland winters?! Fuck yeah" 

Agreed, I see him going to Carolina…after all he played at Clemson and I’m sure the fans there would welcome him with open arms.

Besides, I shudder at the thought of selling the farm for someone who’s only marginally better than what we have.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Browns meeting Watson today. 

The salary cap implications will make it tough for any team to get him, especially Cle. Plus all that draft capital the Texans supposedly want. 

Maybe that's Berry's question....will you restructure Desean? Could be a brief meeting.

21 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

But they won't say no...  because of the implication.

(Bonus points if anyone gets the reference) 

Seems deep lol....in reference to the 22 accusers?

If you all trade for watson you better never say another word about Ben being a “rapist”. I will be in here fighting the boards virtue signaling every damn day. Zombo get your ban hanmer ready. 😘😉😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

With JC Tretter apparently being released (saving 8 mil or so against the cap) and assuredly Hooper as well, it's hard not to feel like they're trying to clear up roughly $17 million dollars for a certain someone.

Looks like it.

So I'm assuming that this is the outrageous trade for Watson thread?

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2022/03/15/cleveland-browns-make-mockery-inclusion-effort-deshaun-watson/7047922001/

From The Beacon Journal I'd prefer to hear Terry Pluto's take on it. In other news real estate brokers have reported that Ray Lewis Richie Incognito and Aaron Hernandez are looking at homes in Strongsville.

WSS

Watson doesn't like the cold weather.  He ain't comin' to Cleveland.

Let's face it.  The Browns stadium needs a dome.  Doesn't matter what the dip-shit fan base says about football being an outdoor game.  We want good players.  And some of 'em don't want to be out in the cold if they don't have to.

7 hours ago, Vagitron said:

If you all trade for watson you better never say another word about Ben being a “rapist”. I will be in here fighting the boards virtue signaling every damn day. Zombo get your ban hanmer ready. 😘😉😂

You'd be totally in the right doing it. 

Watson is categorically an upgrade over Baker, but he's a public relations nightmare. 

And regardless of if the Browns trade for Watson or not, this is the beginning of the end of the Baker Mayfield era. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

is he that incredibly soft that he will not play in cold weather?  That's what he says.

Carolina and NO- will never play in cold weather?   You can't be comparing the NFC South to the AFC North...can you?

51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You'd be totally in the right doing it. 

Watson is categorically an upgrade over Baker, but he's a public relations nightmare. 

And regardless of if the Browns trade for Watson or not, this is the beginning of the end of the Baker Mayfield era. 

He’s a huge upgrade over baker. He’s one of the best  talents in the entire league stuck on a piss poorly run Texans team. He’s damn good but brings a truck load of bs along with him. It wasn’t until pretty recently I learned the Steelers tried trading Ben to the rams after his issues. Ar2 came out and said watson doesn’t fit the Steelers culture and did so for a reason. Watson is an upgrade over a ton of qb’s. Point blank. I also agree on baker. I don’t know what the hell happens with him now. The dude has moxie in spades but it only goes so far. 

But other trams also have deals??? With the Texans... Very mixed reaction here to this news which have nothing to do with the allegations. Apparently, decision is De'Shon's

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/report-texans-have-accepted-offer-in-place-with-browns-amongst-other-teams

• Thanks 1