THE BROWNS BOARD

Gun safety survey

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

FU- I DEMAND an apology you nut job.  I most certainly DO care about those kids who just got killed, quite a bit actually...  Ditto those folks in Buffalo. Go back to your delusional rabbit hole. Before you get me pissed off with your bullshit. 

It's YOU and your pals at the NRA who value your guns more than kids lives.  So hells bells, let's turn schools into virtual prison camps to protect them from the nuts who have easy access to weapons designed to kill 10-20 people at once.

My one small suggestion Steve?   Yeah, there's too many out there already, but ban the production and sale of magazines capable of holding more than eight rounds. Baby steps.     

Yes Cal that was a f*****-up thing to say. Beyond that Larry the NRA went bankrupt last year they're hardly your problem. If you want to gripe about lobbyists maybe you should turn your attention toward the pharmaceutical Lobby which is one of the largest if not the largest in the world. And then think about the forced vaccinations and who that might possibly benefit.

By the way, baby steps toward what?

WSS

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Quite the spirited debate. Looks like everyone found the winder on Cal’s back again. Better than a bongo monkey.

I actually sorta kinda think Cal’s got the right idea on some of his suggestions. I agree on some of his philosophies to take it back to education and socializing of our kids. 

If we focus on root causes that could drive someone to do something as heinous as a mass shooting, it typically has something to do with some combination of isolationism and ignorance. Isolationism, feeling like you don’t fit in, there’s no place for you, everybody’s against you, etc. Ignorance of people different than you is the root to xenophobia and bigotry. It’s easy to demonize people you don’t fully understand.

With this in mind, take steps to reduce ignorance and promote inclusion. Let’s face it, we’re a nation of many different types of people, many cultures, subcultures, religions, etc. We either have to make the best of it or have a race war. This in between shit of half ass tolerating each other is partially to blame for some of these awful incidents.

Start teaching about world cultures and American subcultures in school. Make it mandatory to have a religion 101 type class in school.

Require every student to do a certain amount of community service every year. Get them involved in the community and let them see how their actions can make a positive difference in the world, and get them out of their own heads and their own problems.

Make every student be involved in some sort of extra curricular activity that involves them working with other students to accomplish a common goal. The baseball team, glee club, debate team, video game consortium, whatever. As long as they are physically together and working towards a common goal. 

Make Spanish our official second language. That alone will go a long way to breaking down barriers and will likely improve their math skills (the same part of the brain to learn language is the same for math and logic). I know the “speak English or die” crowd won’t like it, but in a generation or 2 you won’t even be able to get a job waiting tables or customer service without being bilingual. 

These are things that over time will help. I’ll address some of Cal’s points and then give a thought or two on more immediate things that may help. 

Other than all that, I actually thought the renewing gun registration was a good idea. People have to renew their driver’s license and get their eyes checked every so often, so it seems reasonable to do the same for a firearm. Have eyesight checked and maybe a very basic psych evaluation. 

I think Cysko had some disparaging words about the internet and social media on young people, and l gotta say l agree with some of that. There again it can lead to isolationism and a myriad of mind fucking depending on what it is they’re digging into. Not sure how you regulate all that but it’s a fantastic idea to find a way.

You make good points for focusing on the kids.  Teach them values, not CRT or gender pronouns.

Promoting the family structure has to part of it.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Anything but addressing the 800 pound gun in the room I guess...

Forcing kids to be social that don't want to be isn't going to do anything. Not to mention classes that cover different cultures and religions exist. 

Address the means to commit mass murder. Heaven forbid people will have more restrictions around their toys 

What is the point youre actually trying to make here? I personally have already said repeatedly that I don't give a shit if they limit guns or ban new sales altogether. By "don't give a fuck" I mean I'll support it if that's what they do. Ibb says he will. Even your apparent nemesis, ol' typical Steve says he would. Who are you trying to convince? Cal? Good luck with that. I'm simply pointing out that we can't start putting ourselves on the back about it just yet. Not until you address the real elephant in the room which is the motive not just the opportunity. All of us have the opportunity. You could go buy a gun today and start shooting up the joint but you don't. Why? You don't have a motive. 

If the motive isnt addressed acts of shocking violence will continue to go on with different methods of opportunity. 

9 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Anything but addressing the 800 pound gun in the room I guess...

Forcing kids to be social that don't want to be isn't going to do anything. Not to mention classes that cover different cultures and religions exist. 

Address the means to commit mass murder. Heaven forbid people will have more restrictions around their toys 

An Examination of School Shootings and Mental Health: A Comparative Case Study

https://digitalworks.union.edu/theses/1684/

School shootings have become more relevant in our society over the past few decades, yet the debate over the cause of these shootings never seems to reach a conclusion. The current study looks at the connection between mental illness and school shootings, as well as the roles that media, gun control, violence, and masculinity play in the common phenomena. Prior literature has debated over the main causes of school shootings, but many researchers state differing opinions regarding the motivations for perpetrators. This study found that severe mental illness is the main cause of school shootings, and while mental illness may be the main explanation, a lack of social capital, alongside male pressure to conform to societal stereotypes, play significant parts as well. 96% of shooters are male, and when addressing the notion of male stereotypes, it is important to note that men, specifically men with mental illnesses, are socialized to not seek help. Other aspects that pertain to the possible causes of school shootings are the immense lack of gun control in the United States and the sensationalization of perpetrators in the media. The combination of all of these factors, with mental illness as the most prominent, contribute to the overwhelmingly sizable problem that has become school shootings. The rate of school shootings only seems to be increasing, and while school shootings may never cease to exist, the United States can certainly decrease the rate at which shootings occur through increased mental health resources in schools.

Recommended Citation

Kaufman, Emily, "An Examination of School Shootings and Mental Health: A Comparative Case Study" (2018). Honors Theses. 1684.
https://digitalworks.union.edu/theses/1684

Population of Australia is 26,059,789 as of Thursday, May 26, 2022

329.5 million ‎ - 26 million = 303.5 million more people not as easy to confiscate guns as it would be in  Australia or Canada

Population elsewhere
United States
329.5 million ‎(2020)

image.thumb.png.3a4edbeaf94b7d5b5abab2b02eb1c8d2.pngimage.thumb.png.3a4edbeaf94b7d5b5abab2b02eb1c8d2.png
image.thumb.png.3a4edbeaf94b7d5b5abab2b02eb1c8d2.png

Should be an algorithm that checks your social media when you apply for a gun license or permit.

How many times does the paper say....his social media showed he was a nutjob...too bad no one saw it early.

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Yes Cal that was a f*****-up thing to say. Beyond that Larry the NRA went bankrupt last year they're hardly your problem. If you want to gripe about lobbyists maybe you should turn your attention toward the pharmaceutical Lobby which is one of the largest if not the largest in the world. And then think about the forced vaccinations and who that might possibly benefit.

By the way, baby steps toward what?

WSS

Toward maybe making it a bit tougher to squeeze off anywhere from 20 rounds and up in less than 30 seconds?  I'm seeing a lot of cherry picking statistics here Steve. Sure, homicides by paramilitary weapons are only a small percentage of total cases, but they're an inordinate percentage of the weapons used in mass casualties.  
& dammit, I worked in an inner city hospital for 25 years, and was the Blood Bank tech who got called to the ER for every trauma.  After midnight every Friday and Saturday, almost like clockwork. Guys hauled in after being shot getting into a drunk argument at a bar... Of course settle it with a gun. 

If you want my honest 0.02 what I'd like to see done (never happen) is put AR-15s and the like in the category that's now reserved for full automatic weapons. You'd need a permit, and a thorough background check.  Been doing a lot of thinking about the 2nd amendment lately too.  The gun lobby (mistakenly) thinks the Constitution and Bill of Rights were handed down by God and engraved in stone. Obviously not the case. We had Prohibition, and then revocation of Prohibition. If you somehow could resurrect Madison, Jefferson, Franklin and ask them to describe "Arms" you wouldn't get anything close to what the gun lobby thinks is their "right" to keep and own today.  :)  In that light, time to review what arms means? I humbly think so. 

Since you brought up the other big lobby- the  Pharmaceutical industry...  You're damn right I'm pissed off about the total inaction there. What happened to buying your drugs from Canada? Can't get your drugs from other countries either, and why the hell is that? It's total bullshit Steve. My generic Prilosec is made by Teva- in Israel. Ditto North Star there too. India is another major supplier of drugs marketed in the United States.   

and not one word about children dying in car crashes, and drug overdoses. not one word about children being sex trafficked.

just hideous violent crime by severely trouble/screwed up violent murderes.

got it.

42 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Toward maybe making it a bit tougher to squeeze off anywhere from 20 rounds and up in less than 30 seconds?  I'm seeing a lot of cherry picking statistics here Steve. Sure, homicides by paramilitary weapons are only a small percentage of total cases, but they're an inordinate percentage of the weapons used in mass casualties.  
& dammit, I worked in an inner city hospital for 25 years, and was the Blood Bank tech who got called to the ER for every trauma.  After midnight every Friday and Saturday, almost like clockwork. Guys hauled in after being shot getting into a drunk argument at a bar... Of course settle it with a gun. 

If you want my honest 0.02 what I'd like to see done (never happen) is put AR-15s and the like in the category that's now reserved for full automatic weapons. You'd need a permit, and a thorough background check.  Been doing a lot of thinking about the 2nd amendment lately too.  The gun lobby (mistakenly) thinks the Constitution and Bill of Rights were handed down by God and engraved in stone. Obviously not the case. We had Prohibition, and then revocation of Prohibition. If you somehow could resurrect Madison, Jefferson, Franklin and ask them to describe "Arms" you wouldn't get anything close to what the gun lobby thinks is their "right" to keep and own today.  :)  In that light, time to review what arms means? I humbly think so. 

Since you brought up the other big lobby- the  Pharmaceutical industry...  You're damn right I'm pissed off about the total inaction there. What happened to buying your drugs from Canada? Can't get your drugs from other countries either, and why the hell is that? It's total bullshit Steve. My generic Prilosec is made by Teva- in Israel. Ditto North Star there too. India is another major supplier of drugs marketed in the United States.   

So just to clarify: you're walking back the 100 round rifles reducing the maximum capacity to what, 10, 20? It's actually 30 now. Also are semi automatics now out why? As in 1911 Style 9 mm handguns that most people are on? It makes absolutely no difference to me if a weapon has a wooden or aluminum stock for a pistol grip. Background checks are fine but the huge majority of people have never been documented as crazy.

Plus if the dirt ball is coming in to give blood for money I would imagine somewhere within his circle of acquaintances will pay him more for an illegal weapon then the city is going to give. And the program sightseeing included tennis shoes and basketball tickets. Which is a little bit racist in and of itself. Hahaha

And I'm not talking about prescription drug prices I'm talking about the monsters windfall they've had Premier required vaccinations.

WSS

51 minutes ago, hoorta said:

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Good thing they don't try to ban ALCOHOL, those drunk drivers kill more people than school shooters.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Demand? why do you "care" about kids who die by gunfire by maniacs, but you have never said ONE WORD about car accidents? Cars are the number one killer of children. So shove that up YOUR rabbithole. Why not admit you haven't said much at all about all the fentanyl deaths? drug overdoses???

Logical conclusion = railing about gun crime only means your "in your face" political bigotry.

and, 8 rounds? when the standard is generally ten? just another lib talking point. You can go kiss  your hero Beto's rump.

Yep, it's that time of night again.

The problem with that argument is that a car is not manufactured for the purpose of killing.  Children killed in car accidents usually are a consequence of negligence by the driver.

A gun is designed for one purpose. The gun used to kill those kids performed as it was designed.

12 minutes ago, Gorka said:

The problem with that argument is that a car is not manufactured for the purpose of killing.  Children killed in car accidents usually are a consequence of negligence by the driver.

A gun is designed for one purpose. The gun used to kill those kids performed as it was designed.

So the guy that made that gun made it just to kill kids!

00q.gif.f84b7f7ffa14f22c66fcd7c199694e9a.gif

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

FU- I DEMAND an apology you nut job.  I most certainly DO care about those kids who just got killed, quite a bit actually...  Ditto those folks in Buffalo. Go back to your delusional rabbit hole. Before you get me pissed off with your bullshit. 

It's YOU and your pals at the NRA who value your guns more than kids lives.  So hells bells, let's turn schools into virtual prison camps to protect them from the nuts who have easy access to weapons designed to kill 10-20 people at once.

My one small suggestion Steve?   Yeah, there's too many out there already, but ban the production and sale of magazines capable of holding more than eight rounds. Baby steps.     

You so love to parrot liberal talking points dont you.

No, the NRA doesn't value guns more than kids, and I'm sure Cal doesn't either so you owe him an apology.

I suppose you also believe white supremacy is the greatest threat to this nation every good liberal does, yes?

6 minutes ago, Vambo said:

So the guy that made that gun made it just to kill kids!

LOl.

C'mon man!.  Did anywhere I imply that?

The gun was designed to kill. The blame is not guns, it's on the idiot who decided to use it on kids.

If theres anything that makes me cringe is when the good guys start using cars as analogy. It simply is not a valid one.

11 minutes ago, Gorka said:

basically - it is designed to be a tool. Just like any other tool - it has a function(s). A knife can be a defense against assault - I can post how many knives have been found on students in schools. It's staggering.

A screwdriver can kill, A gun will injure/kill, sure. But it is both - a tool that kills game, and defends the otherwise defenseless from being killed.

all tools can be misused in violence. The nazis had locked all women in the town, in a church. They murdered the men.

and set fire to the church. There were a few witnesses.

Fire can save lives, and kill/murder lives. Mentally ill violent people will use any weapon at hand to act out. Social media seems to drive loners to want to be famous. A good bit like "baby face" george nelson in the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou".

they want to be famous. violence is a way chosen by very, very sick people.

Sick politics is everywhere. Emotionalism and politics solve nothing. But it keeps honest, genuine solutions from being discussed.

My opinion - these gun shootings keep happening because the left wants to make anti-2nd Amendment their banner. It isn't funny anymore.

Note to whooreta - I left the NRA out of disgust. An AR-15 is a SEMI AUTO rifle JUST like a SEMI-AUTO .22. So shove it.

quote: After the gun ban, violent crime rates were up: Yes, as with the gun-happy United States, the murder rate is down in Australia. It's dropped 31 percent from a rate of 1.6 per 100,000 people in 1994 to 1.1 per 100,000 in 2012.But it's the only serious crime that saw a consistent decline post-ban. In fact, according to the Australian ...
Member since May 2012. 24413 posts. re: Australia's ban on guns did not lower violent crimes, murders, or suicides Posted. by Crowknowsbest. on 5/25/22 at 8:49 am to SulphursFinest. quote: TOPS guy specifically said he didn't want to die. He would rather 3 hot meals a day and a bed to sleep in, with free health care.

1 minute ago, Gorka said:

LOl.

The gun was designed to kill. The blame is not guns, it's on the idiot who used it.

Target shooting, plunking, doesn't kill. Kill game - ever watch swamp people? They use them to survive. If times ever hit to a devastating degree - farmers, hunters, swamp people can survive. With guns.

A gun is an offensive AND defensive tool.

An AR-15 is not an assault weapon anymore than a semi auto .22 would be. There are actually AR-15 .22s. Don't go on some military assault with either one.

This whole anti-2nd Amendment is simply a political attack on conservatives/gun owners. All those people considered to be political opponents by the left.

So, Whooreta seems to NOT favor knife control. woodpecker seems to NOT favor knife control

Guess what - a knife is made to cut - it is a tool that kills.

Needless to say, a knife or cutting instrument is over 2.5 times more likely to be used in a murder in the United States than a rifle. Even "personal weapons", meaning someone's hands, feet and so on, were responsible for more deaths than rifles within the United States in 2020 - with the report showing 415 people were killed by ...
Poison was used in five murders, explosives in four, and fire was used in 72 murders. Of the 14,123 total murders, 900 were committed with unspecified and other types of weapons. The FBI's statistics. The AR-15 has been named by several politicians among the types of "assault weapons" the United States should consider banning.

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

LOl.

The gun was designed to kill. The blame is not guns, it's on the idiot who decided to use it on kids.

If theres anything that makes me cringe is when the good guys start using cars as analogy. It simply is not a valid one.

Nope you did not...the intent wasn't meant for you, I didn't convey my point right. Sorry didn't mean to offend you.

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

image.png.9abcc42696c697b678e8d2441dbc0216.png

Note to Hopeless Whooreta:

prohibition took away a "right", therefore it could be given back.

A RIGHT cannot be taken away. It is INALIENABLE. It can NEVER BE TAKEN AWAY.

So, picking on the AR-15 is stupid. Just another cowardly, dishonest "gotcha maybe" by leftwing haters.

Handguns were used in 62% of the nation's gun murders, including Ty's, in 2019, FBI data shows. Data from 2020 has not yet been published. According to a 2016 Survey of Prison Inmates from the ...

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Note to Hopeless Whooreta:

prohibition took away a "right", therefore it could be given back.

A RIGHT cannot be taken away. It is INALIENABLE. It can NEVER BE TAKEN AWAY.

So, picking on the AR-15 is stupid. Just another cowardly, dishonest "gotcha maybe" by leftwing haters.

Handguns were used in 62% of the nation's gun murders, including Ty's, in 2019, FBI data shows. Data from 2020 has not yet been published. According to a 2016 Survey of Prison Inmates from the ...

:D :D :D Popped up from you rabbit hole spewing again I see...  ROTFLLMAO!!!!   2nd amendment an inalienable right? Been conversing with God on the matter lately doubtless.  :D  :D  :D   Let me clue you in Cal. That supposed "right" is on a sheet of paper that's 200+ years old. That's rights granted to you by the United States Government. Other countries happen to think differently, hate to tell you.  

And FWIW, there's a slight difference between .22 Long Rifle ammo and .223 that's common to the AR-15. That's comparing apples to bananas.  I already said assault weapons are only a small percentage of total homicides, but they're an inordinate percentage in mass killings. Now just go away, and get yourself some meds.   

I'm going to try a simple question hoping for a simple 1 word answer by@calfoxwc

cal, if Star Trek's hand held phasers actually existed, would you be in favor of a Untied State's citizen having the right to own them?

Yes or No... Not looking for an explanation to your answer. 

Funny thing is they could outright ban almost every type a gun except a little .22 revolver and it would not violate the 2nd amendment because you are still allowed to have a gun. Nowhere in the 2nd amendment does it say you are allowed to carry any kind of weapon system under the sun.