THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈 Official Preseason Game Thread: Browns at Jaguars.

Dutch Oven

6 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Don't watch Sutterman's video on it unless you're entertained by slow-motion telestrator analysis of the moment various guys have snapped their ACL.. 

Thanks..I'd be more worried about a meniscus injury the way that knee joint buckled.. We play Jets W2.. ageless Flacco? 

1 hour ago, OconRecon said:

Ford had himself a game.  102 rushing yards & 2 TD’s.  

Does AB call Tretter?

Welcome in Ocon..

hate it for Nick Harris.. Harris looks like that draftee, from the day they get drafted, that can't avoid injuries.. His short/stubby frame finds non-balance.. than SNAP's !

Something seems up with Tretter?  might he retire?/less money? maybe his body may need a Gronk layoff year?

The way this NFLPA keeps getting hosed? Tretter maybe a good NFLPA hire they should look into 

4 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Your keyboard to God's ears, especially now that Becton is out.  Myles might have 3 sacks that game alone.

news says,Jets got somewhat lucky, (while overpaying) a 36 y.o. better Dwayne Brown within hours of Becton's injury..

the Jets also have the ageless George Fant, who will play which side? Maybe they didn't overpay D.Brown to play LT?

Do the Hawks have anyone left after paying Jamal Adams? :lol:

• Upvote 1

Re: Alex Wright.  I was pretty critical of him in my assessment of the few games I watched after he was announced during the draft.   

I get it's still very early, the biggest things he needed to work on, fundamentals that were SO damn bad, I was hoping to see a bit of immediate improvement.  Unfortunately we still have a long way to go.

Still lowering his head into contact and not using his wingspan to keep himself clean.   Sure, he might have inside leverage on the RT's shoulders, but it doesn't matter when you're playing high, head down and unbalanced.

29415890_Wrightheaddown1.thumb.jpg.b97bf8f97075d6be41ef7c5557dd4bbd.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

Unbalanced so his momentum, and a generous hip toss by the RT, puts him WAY upfield.

As a result, we have a wide open rushing lane.   Have to win your assignment, keep your leverage, stack then rip.  Can't give a RB a clean lane like this.  Running defense is about 11 men being unselfish and assignment sound.

1457508181_Wrightheaddown2.thumb.jpg.0dcb33c01082f8b710953b52d16cfb30.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

On the bright side, talking about our rookies, was Emerson.   I know everyone is hyped about the pick, and rightfully so.  He showed great strength and patience at the line, had a great feel for the route, then just took the ball away.    But my excitement came from something that doesn't feel as common as it used to in the NFL - tackling.

No coaches tape available yet, but it looks like EM was in his deep 1/3rd, read then broke.  He didn't wait for this to get to Harrison then clean up.  He went for, and put on, a pretty damn good form tackle.   See that? Head up, eyes up, shoulder to the side...  I can't ask for much more.

And it's exciting because when you have corners that are physical beyond playing routes, then it's a relief seeing them get involved.  Opens more possibilities to how you draw up run fits when DB's can reliably attack and get the ball carrier to the ground.

From that very same play with Alex above.....     

1869114990_EMform.thumb.jpg.049c2301a4e46a0f7a1c289e25c2c810.jpg

• Thanks 1

@tiamat63... Emerson has that tackling frame that reminds me of a young Richard Sherman, that can physically wear down some AFCN WR's ... 

Excellent pick-up of EM's, framed view in your photo above.. Well done sir ! 

I hope to see Tyler Boyd crossing his path 💪

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Browns vs Jags replay of the game is on Direct TV 212 NFL Network on Wed 4pm EDT.

For those like me who could not see the game other than highlights.

Summer hours just ended for me.  Next week I'm back to working until 5.  :(

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Summer hours just ended for me.  Next week I'm back to working until 5.  :(

Record it. I play racquetball from 3-5 CDT (4-6 EDT) Wed, so I'm recording it. Since I already know the outcome that allows me to speed through commercials.🤗

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/08/how-jeremiah-owusu-koramoah-martin-emerson-jr-and-the-rest-of-the-browns-defense-graded-vs-the-jaguars.html%3foutputType=amp

Have to disagree with PFF on Winfrey's grade.  Almost feels like his and Taven's should be flipped. 

I've only ever spoken to one of their data scientists. At least, that was his job title listed on his Facebook.  And the conversation was..... frustrating. 

Could have sworn I saved screenshots of it on my desktop. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/08/how-jeremiah-owusu-koramoah-martin-emerson-jr-and-the-rest-of-the-browns-defense-graded-vs-the-jaguars.html%3foutputType=amp

Have to disagree with PFF on Winfrey's grade.  Almost feels like his and Taven's should be flipped. 

I've only ever spoken to one of their data scientists. At least, that was his job title listed on his Facebook.  And the conversation was..... frustrating. 

Could have sworn I saved screenshots of it on my desktop. 

Plus hard to believe Thomas graded so low since at least highlights show him all over the place disrupting and tackling. Plus a sack of the QB. When I watch the full game replay I'll focus on him and PW since to me they were the two best in highlights anyway.

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Have to disagree with PFF on Winfrey's grade.  

Here's another PFF example, of why I'll spend $$ to view the coaches all 22 views..

2021* Pro Football Focus Overall Grades: Browns Defensive Tackles

Sheldon Day: 64.7

Andrew Billings: 47.5

Malik McDowell: 46.5

Josiah Bronson: 45.7

Malik Jackson: 44.4

Jordan Elliott: 41.6

Tommy Togiai: 39.8

🤔 (head-scratching huh) 

this came from a past dbn link.. https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/7/25/23276395/the-worst-position-group-on-the-browns-try-defensive-tackle

9 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Here's another PFF example, of why I'll spend $$ to view the coaches all 22 views..

2021* Pro Football Focus Overall Grades: Browns Defensive Tackles

Sheldon Day: 64.7

Andrew Billings: 47.5

Malik McDowell: 46.5

Josiah Bronson: 45.7

Malik Jackson: 44.4

Jordan Elliott: 41.6

Tommy Togiai: 39.8

🤔 (head-scratching huh) 

this came from a past dbn link.. https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/7/25/23276395/the-worst-position-group-on-the-browns-try-defensive-tackle

Funny enough you bring that up, I was watching the Raiders game the other night and saw Billings looking a bit more trim and having some nice redzone impact.   Hurts my heart he couldn't find that level of play within him while in Cleveland.  Could really use that player who showed up in Cincy.

The IDL lineup, and to a lesser extent the LB makeup, is a product of the new-age analytic thinking.  These positions, like RB, are devalued greatly in comparison to DB and pass rusher.  The problem is, they're the meat and potatoes of your defense.   Whenever you come across a team that has the sexy flash, you often find they lack the substance.  They lack the dogs who do the nameless dirty work at an NFL level week in and week out.   

Winfrey is a start, but he isn't going to fix this line overnight or long term by himself.   Aaron Donald had Michael Brockers (now Gregg Gaines, somebody I was high before he was drafted) next to him.  By no means a yearly pro-bowler, but a steady and reliable presence in the middle who could do a thankless job quite well.   That's who needs to emerge from this roster or needs to be found ASAP.

• Upvote 2