THE BROWNS BOARD

"The"  🏈    Official MNF Game Thread Browns vs Bengals Oct 31    🏈

Dutch Oven

9 hours ago, D Bone said:

I swear there used to be more trick or treaters 20 years ago....... Sitting here wanting to give away candy. 

As a 30 something parent of kids, a lot of folks in our group did stuff over the weekend. I still went out with my kiddo, but it was markedly less than last year. Top that with people having concerns about safety and I'm left with several hundred pieces of candy. The future of trick or treating may very well be fading away.

On a side note, boy it's nice to talk about mundane crap and enjoying a Browns easy win. I'm not sure what vodoo magic Cleveland has against Cincy, but they just have their dang number lately. Even getting the odd breaks of shooter McPherson kissing kicks, etc.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

If that's the play I'm thinking of- at least the Brisket decided to run this time instead of throwing a gift int to the end zone.  :)  

No he was talking about the 3rd and 6 run around the Bengals 30 yard line where we called what looked to be an O1 trap and chubb got 20 yards on it. I believe it was the drive brissett ran in on though.  Though it could have been the coop td drive as well

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I thought we were going to lose by 14, to be brutally honest. 

The defense is waking up. 

And eight games into the "Jacoby Brissett Fill-In Experience" the Browns are averaging 25 points a game. I definitely never saw that happening.  

- Let's not be too quick on the defense now.   We've looked pretty decent in plus matchups, and football is about as close to chess as you get without having the board in front of you.

- Really, you NEVER saw that happening? 😁

17 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

You are one negative bastard you know? 

He's an absolute treat in the game threads, let me tell you. 😁 But hey, at least he's on here for good or bad.

Funny how some of the Browns "fans" on this board are nowhere to be found after they play well. 

Great game, the only one this season where all defense, offense (besides Cooper's pass) and ST (besides a blocked kick) did their job well. Kudos to the defense who finally woke up and man is Emmerson showing flashes of greatness. Nice way to enter the bye week, work out more kinks and get to .500 before Deshaun takes over.

In their last 5 games, where they got W's in 4 of 5, the Bengals averaged.

JB with 36.2 pass att per game

Mixon averaged 15 carries per game, at a clip of 3.8 YPC.

This is who and what they are.  A pass heavy team with a good young QB, but a weak OL that has an inefficient running game.   As a result, when they can't keep bodies off Joey Buckets, the offensive implodes.  Worse because this style of offense is now running into predominantly 2 high shell teams.  So if you either don't have the patience or ability to exploit that, you can run into matchups like they did with the Browns last night.  "Looking" like the superior team, but lacking in where it counts.  

18 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

In their last 5 games, where they got W's in 4 of 5, the Bengals averaged.

JB with 36.2 pass att per game

Mixon averaged 15 carries per game, at a clip of 3.8 YPC.

This is who and what they are.  A pass heavy team with a good young QB, but a weak OL that has an inefficient running game.   As a result, when they can't keep bodies off Joey Buckets, the offensive implodes.  Worse because this style of offense is now running into predominantly 2 high shell teams.  So if you either don't have the patience or ability to exploit that, you can run into matchups like they did with the Browns last night.  "Looking" like the superior team, but lacking in where it counts.  

Living in Bungle Land, its not for lack of trying that they worked mightily to shore up their known weakness on their o-line in the off season. Burrow was getting killed all last year. 

Also I'll opine Jamar Chase who's an instant home run threat-is as important to the Bengals offense as Chubb is to ours. 

9 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Living in Bungle Land, its not for lack of trying that they worked mightily to shore up their known weakness on their o-line in the off season. Burrow was getting killed all last year. 

Also I'll opine Jamar Chase who's an instant home run threat-is as important to the Bengals offense as Chubb is to ours. 

They did, and made a nice splash in free agency to do so.  But it isn't translating to better results on the field, and I don't even mean in terms of W's.   Their Oline looked VERY pedestrian last night.  

I'm just not sure exactly why the inefficiency in the running game. Mixon is a solid RB and you spent money to make the offensive front Go-go.   Could be calls, could be design, could be emphasis, could be execution?   I don't watch any of their tape to give a definitive answer.   But I might when it's available later after I'm done with the Browns charting. 

The connection Jamar and Burrow have is up there with something like Mahomes/Kelce.   So naturally losing your guy is going to hurt.  But you have no counter punch on the offense, you don't have the ability to lean on the ground game when the matchup should dictate just that.   Which is where the Bengals fell tragically short, not only last night, but going forward as well. 

Stef and the Browns have made a living running into + box counts for 3 years now, and still carving out one of the most efficient and explosive running games in the NFL.   If Deshaun can come back, maybe not so much this season, but next year - and be 75% of what he was in 2020, I genuinely believe this team might have the most complete (and productive) offense in the entire NFL. 

It was a great win ... But I'm not crowning this team yet.. There's still a lot of season left... I'll give them credit... They kept their foot on the gas for once... Good things happen when you can stick to your game plan...

48 minutes ago, hoorta said:

When I saw Chase being out, I figured the Bengals' offense was toast. The secondary can play short/midrange, and the pass rushers can go to town. I don't think Cooper is a Chase, but his effect on the Browns' offense is a serious upgrade to what they can do. I thought it would be a good game in fantasy football to start the Bengals' kicker.

Nope. Bad Idea.

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

Bite me you spoke too soon.  :D  I'll have more to say about your Mild Garret later on when I catch up reading the posts. Maybe you missed that inside spin move I told you he had when he burrowed Burrow.  :D   

EDIT: Yeah Cooper has 131 yards on 5 receptions- he blows. Especially on the long bomb he pulled off the grass.  Mild Myles has a sack or two, deflects a pass that turns into an interception.. He sucks too.   

Larry, put your emotions in check. Dude, WTF? Cooper and Garrett had great games. 

I can picture you at the TV yelling "take that, Ghoolie", every time Cooper or Garret made a play.

Dude, we root for the same team. I don't give a flying fuck about who is right and who is wrong. It's a fucking football.game bro.

Cooper is fast and elusive. However, in tough games, he constantly bobbled tough catches. He almost bobbled away the TD catch in the corner of the end zone.

When Garrett repeats his performance consistently against tough teams, then we can revisit him.

The Bengals OL is shit.

Great win for us, but it doesn't validate or invalidate any of this.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Larry, put your emotions in check. Dude, WTF? Cooper and Garrett had great games. 

I can picture you at the TV yelling "take that, Ghoolie", every time Cooper or Garret made a play.

Dude, we root for the same team. I don't give a flying fuck about who is right and who is wrong. It's a fucking football.game bro.

Cooper is fast and elusive. However, in tough games, he constantly bobbled tough catches. He almost bobbled away the TD catch in the corner of the end zone.

When Garrett repeats his performance consistently against tough teams, then we can revisit him.

The Bengals OL is shit.

Like I said... Great win.. But I still don't trust this team...

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

Did they bring back Hue Jackson, the guy who had to call a timeout before the first scrimmage play?   

I just happened to come across that little tidbit again.

"Never ask how dumb is dumb ...... it probably hasn't been done yet,  well maybe".      :blink:     :lol:

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

The Bengals OL is shit.

But it gives me great pleasure to tell you you blew that one. Yeah- great win, but the Browns still dug themselves in a pretty deep hole losing games they should have won. 

To have a realistic shot at making the playoffs,  they still need to win two out of the next three- at least. That road trip to Buffalo is a killer. I was considering making the trip, but it seems Bills home games are a hot ticket. Checked yesterday, and on the secondary market the nosebleeds start at $250 bucks. Decent seats are $400+. 

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

BINGO. They need to do this again....and then again.

Yes,  after a 1 comes a 2 and keep going  as in  1. CIN   2. MIA.    (don't look BUF is after that)

15 minutes ago, nickers said:

I'll take Chubb over any of them... Barkley is like Denzel Ward... always hurt...

Chubb has nearly 100 more yards with less carries. Who cares if barklet had more yards if hes got 25% more carries. Chubb is the man, period. Even if we could have had josh allen or lamar jackson in 2018 at least we got chubb. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Chubb has nearly 100 more yards with less carries. Who cares if barklet had more yards if hes got 25% more carries. Chubb is the man, period. Even if we could have had josh allen or lamar jackson in 2018 at least we got chubb. 

Amen dude!