THE BROWNS BOARD

Woods & Watson

Orion

7 hours ago, Flugel said:

Classic stuff!  It reminded me of Turkey Jones reminding the Steelers of what that cheap shot out of bounds on the 175 pound Brian Sipe from Jack Lambert could lead to in the rematch.  Sometimes you need a goon/intimidating force on the field to remind your opponent they better play by the rules or else...  I'm thinking something must have happened earlier in that game that triggered the reaction from Haynesworth.  I do agree he took it a little too far.  

Oh yes !   Classic stuff.

YA5LNXJK5NHJ3EJZSYQURYT46A.jpg.e29bfbcaa986db09927c843766be6792.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand

Could DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson team up again? Potentially.

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and Hopkins were a very good duo in their time together in Houston. In 38 games played together, Watson has thrown for 9,716 passing yards to go along with 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. Hopkins was responsible for 25 of those touchdowns.

As far as Hopkins potentially coming to Cleveland, Watson admitted he understands it has to make sense on all fronts.

7 hours ago, Vambo said:

Browns QB Deshaun Watson Says he Will Soon Talk to DeAndre Hopkins to see Where Things Stand

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and Hopkins were a very good duo in their time together in Houston. In 38 games played together, Watson has thrown for 9,716 passing yards to go along with 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. Hopkins was responsible for 25 of those touchdowns.

As far as Hopkins potentially coming to Cleveland, Watson admitted he understands it has to make sense on all fronts.

Salary caps says hi. If the Browns were to sign D-Hop, we might score 40 points each game, and still get beat by 10 or more. Leaves no room to fix the glaring holes in the D.

Having little room to maneuver under the cap, Browns need value for money. Sing all the picks, and some Affordable FAs who bring something to the table. Now is not the time for shiny new toys.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Salary caps says hi. If the Browns were to sign D-Hop, we might score 40 points each game, and still get beat by 10 or more. Leaves no room to fix the glaring holes in the D.

Having little room to maneuver under the cap, Browns need value for money. Sing all the picks, and some Affordable FAs who bring something to the table. Now is not the time for shiny new toys.

Great point KD!

If we had a FO that was good at drafting, fixing the glaring and OBVIOUS holes in our defense wouldn't feel like watching the Mission Impossible sequel here.  Every time Seattle has frequented playoffs (and appeared in 2 Super Bowls) they did it via the draft, which made for a really freakin healthy salary cap (especially when you factor in the rookie salary cap helping that).  Then they could use free agency the way it should be used as a supplement rather than leaning on it.

9 hours ago, Vambo said:

If there's 1 salary that could be tweaked to accommodate this - it would be Watson's.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

If there's 1 salary that could be tweaked to accommodate this - it would be Watson's.  

While I like the idea of getting him here... I think fixing the Defense is paramount... I still want to see a healthy Jakeem Grant in this offense and see how much David Bell and Michael Wood develop. That would go a long way in helping out the O... But so far.. I'm not one bit thrilled with Watson... He looks whoefully  pedestrian... And I don't want to hear he's been sitting on his ass for 2-3 years whatev's... If your good.. Your good and you shouldn't need 2 years to get your shit together.. There have been times I've taken months away from playing guitar to come back with fresh ideas.. it only takes me a couple days to get my groove and my chops back... The excuses are lame... I want to focus on 2 things in this draft/FA period.. OL and DL and maybe LB'er...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nickers said:

There have been times I've taken months away from playing guitar to come back with fresh ideas.. it only takes me a couple days to get my groove and my chops back.

your comparing playing guitar to being a Q.B in  the N.F.L ? jesus you are more fucked in the head than  I thought 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, syd said:

your comparing playing guitar to being a Q.B in  the N.F.L ? jesus you are more fucked in the head than  I thought 

No... You're just a stupid asshole with no vision... Stay drunk Otis!

13 hours ago, Flugel said:

So far he's made a salary of 1.035 million (aside from signing bonus). I doubt there will be any restructuring anytime soon.

15 hours ago, syd said:

ahhh more personal attacks keep em coming you no talent hack

Just ask musicians around town about me... Then go hide under a rock... Idiot..

23 hours ago, Flugel said:

Great point KD!

If we had a FO that was good at drafting, fixing the glaring and OBVIOUS holes in our defense wouldn't feel like watching the Mission Impossible sequel here.  Every time Seattle has frequented playoffs (and appeared in 2 Super Bowls) they did it via the draft, which made for a really freakin healthy salary cap (especially when you factor in the rookie salary cap helping that).  Then they could use free agency the way it should be used as a supplement rather than leaning on it.

While I would also like to see even better results in the draft, it is not all doom and gloom.

Alex Wright could be ready to step up. Especially if we fix the IDL, you do not need a top 10 Edge opposite Myles. There is value in 'good enough.' Adding a veteran for the rotation could be good. Would Larry-O be interested in coming back?

Perrion Winfrey showed flashes of huge upside last season. Very interested to see how he develops. But we need to add two new pieces, I think. As I mentioned in the draft topic, the DT FA is very tight. Taven Bryan is projected to command double what he makes now, and he is not exactly a world beater. Dalvin Tomlinson looks to be the only upgrade we could possibly afford. We are going to have to use one of our higher picks here. Maybe a later round development player as well.

Then we have Emerson and Bell. We certainly have some promising picks from recent years to work with.  

9 hours ago, Orion said:

So far he's made a salary of 1.035 million (aside from signing bonus). I doubt there will be any restructuring anytime soon.

I was responding to this headline below looking like Watson wanted to see if there was a possibility Hopkins could join him in Cleveland.  Understanding, Cleveland is somewhere in the bottom quarter of teams with available cap room - Watson gives the Browns the largest chunk of salary to tweak if Hopkins is a big enough wish of his. Watson will be making $54,993,000 per year in 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026.  I posted some of his salary info under the headline below.

• 2023 Salary Cap Charge: $54,993,000 (21.73% of cap)
  • 2023 Cash Payout: $46,000,000 (19.97% of spending)
  • 2023 Cash to Cap Ratio: 0.84
  • Contract Value: $230,000,000 ($46,000,000 APY)
  • Fully Guaranteed Money: $230,000,000
  • Contract Ranking: 4/100 at QB

1 minute ago, Korsou Dawg said:

While I would also like to see even better results in the draft, it is not all doom and gloom.

Alex Wright could be ready to step up. Especially if we fix the IDL, you do not need a top 10 Edge opposite Myles. There is value in 'good enough.' Adding a veteran for the rotation could be good. Would Larry-O be interested in coming back?

Perrion Winfrey showed flashes of huge upside last season. Very interested to see how he develops. But we need to add two new pieces, I think. As I mentioned in the draft topic, the DT FA is very tight. Taven Bryan is projected to command double what he makes now, and he is not exactly a world beater. Dalvin Tomlinson looks to be the only upgrade we could possibly afford. We are going to have to use one of our higher picks here. Maybe a later round development player as well.

Then we have Emerson and Bell. We certainly have some promising picks from recent years to work with.  

I will gladly join you in this line of thinking KD  if the FO finally upgrades the IDL in their 4th opportunity to do so.  Right now we're very stuck on pause with "if" = "still has not."  

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

I will gladly join you in this line of thinking KD  if the FO finally upgrades the IDL in their 4th opportunity to do so.  Right now we're very stuck on pause with "if" = "still has not."  

Schwartz was not employed in those drafts. From what I have heard, he is a 'D-line whisperer.' As Tia has said before, he is practically certain to be involved in the draft this year.  

8 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Isiah Thomas would be a better candidate. 

Happy to concede to your assessment. My point was slightly different though: Namely that the picks of recent years haven't been all bad, and a rotation can be built with them and value for money additions. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, syd said:

i just flew back from ohio no one has heard of you except one guy said he thought you worked at hortons

You're an ass.. Get a life goober...

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Schwartz was not employed in those drafts. From what I have heard, he is a 'D-line whisperer.' As Tia has said before, he is practically certain to be involved in the draft this year.  

Thanks KD!  Schwartz will be a blessing for this defense.  His experience volume should get a respectful ear or 2 from Berry for the valuable input Berry desperately needs about the front line of our D. If Schwartz gets sentenced to the current IDL, I can assure you he isn't going to be whispering at them.  There should be some very good IDL prospects available when the Browns make their 1st pick in round 2.  

2 hours ago, FY56 said:

When you post on a message board, you're essentially talking to everyone thus you're fair game. Use the PM feature if you prefer not to have anyone to chime in.

oh wow you sure told me Bet you were to busy on national hate day along with nickers and die hard to say something earlier to me 

22 hours ago, Flugel said:

nailed it !

It's hard to overlook, how bad it's gotten/rotten under Berry's dime

EDGE

11633776.thumb.png.62759220dd1e04c4bbe28b84df00cd3d.png

miss print position below.. Below our Berry's yearly Defensive Tackle decreasing age/value/talent of the position

11633777.thumb.png.03dbfeefa3bf8a0605e9d2bbcf63dda6.png

but we saved a few Depo bucks ;)...  Seems to me...

Haslam may have strapped AB with a boat sinking  anchor named money-ball Depo   

Come on Jimmy Schwartz ! Cut the rope on Haslam/Depo's anchor  🤞

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

nailed it !

It's hard to overlook, how bad it's gotten/rotten under Berry's dime

EDGE

11633776.thumb.png.62759220dd1e04c4bbe28b84df00cd3d.png

miss print position below.. Below our Berry's yearly Defensive Tackle decreasing age/value/talent of the position

11633777.thumb.png.03dbfeefa3bf8a0605e9d2bbcf63dda6.png

but we saved a few Depo bucks ;)...  Seems to me...

Haslam may have strapped AB with a boat sinking  anchor named money-ball Depo   

Come on Jimmy Schwartz ! Cut the rope on Haslam/Depo's anchor  🤞

Great research Gumbs - thanks for sharing!  

When the FO turned the DT position into their Savings and Loan strategy immediately after the 2020 season - the decreasing winning percentages accompanying that looked like more than just a coincidence. In 2020, the Browns were 11-5 and won their 1st playoff game since the Browns re-entered the league.  One year later, they went 9-8 before going 7-10 in 2022.  You get what you pay for.  When you know what you're doing - that can be a good thing.  When you don't? You end up with 4 LBers behind those guys on IR aside from watching our defense stink it up against the run.

I'm thankful you, KD and others keep reminding me that Schwartz's success and extensive experience might be able to penetrate some FO ego when looking at where help is needed and breaking down film of their prospects.    

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2023 at 12:34 PM, nickers said:

While I like the idea of getting him here... I think fixing the Defense is paramount... I still want to see a healthy Jakeem Grant in this offense and see how much David Bell and Michael Wood develop. That would go a long way in helping out the O... But so far.. I'm not one bit thrilled with Watson... He looks whoefully  pedestrian... And I don't want to hear he's been sitting on his ass for 2-3 years whatev's... If your good.. Your good and you shouldn't need 2 years to get your shit together.. There have been times I've taken months away from playing guitar to come back with fresh ideas.. it only takes me a couple days to get my groove and my chops back... The excuses are lame... I want to focus on 2 things in this draft/FA period.. OL and DL and maybe LB'er...

I agree.

My feeling is we will be better served on spending what FA money we have on a defensive player or two over a receiver.  I think we have a couple of young receivers in Bell and Woods who could fill the void.  I also think there are more receivers available in the draft over D line players. 

I see a few receivers we could get in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that could step in and start, or at minimum play a big role in the O.  Big role meaning catching maybe 30-50  balls this year.

Another component to watch is with Musgrave hired, we will probably lean a bit towards a WCO offense with controlled passing, which should help a guy like Bell.  I think it also point to some changes at runningback.  Somebody in that backfield is going to catch 50 passes(give or take),  Chubb might be that guy, but I suspect it is going to be somebody else.