THE BROWNS BOARD

Wide Receiver

Orion

Moore has to learn the playbook.  And everybody's gotta get in sync with Watson.  This year we have the whole of the off season programs (as little as they are now-a-days) with our starting QB, for our offense to have a fighting chance of entering the regular season as a prepared unit.  

WR help in the draft is questionable.  We don't start the draft until the second day is almost over.  

Berry sure did a bunch in FA so as to lessen the burden of this draft.  With no 1st rounder, what do ya do?  Use a different tool.

50 minutes ago, syd said:

this did not deserve it's own thread so thought i would put it here,freaking baltimore just gave obj 18 million for one year

o.k good luck with that

I have some serious doubts OBJ can stay on the field. 

But at least they didn't commit past this season, even if that's an insane amount of money for him at this point. 

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

that's an insane amount of money for him at this point. 

18 mil is why nobody wanted Baker from us.  But the receiver that he wouldn't throw to gets it.  

12 hours ago, syd said:

this did not deserve it's own thread so thought i would put it here,freaking baltimore just gave obj 18 million for one year

o.k good luck with that

LOL...it certainly more deserving of being a thread topic than any of the other crap threads you've started.

I'm happy for the Rats.  Two torn ACL's and he hadn't done squat the last 2 or 3 years.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1645191916114395136/photo/1

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

LOL...it certainly more deserving of being a thread topic than any of the other crap threads you've started.

I'm happy for the Rats.  Two torn ACL's and he hadn't done squat the last 2 or 3 years.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1645191916114395136/photo/1

Fuck Blowdell.. He's a Kunt...

On 4/9/2023 at 10:10 AM, Flugel said:

I think the trio of Andy Reid, Travis Kelce and Patrick Mahomes could keep on winning with this group.   I think Depodesta is pushing the old Oakland Raiders vertical game with Cliff Branch on the perimeter on Stefanski.  That would be fine if there was a consistent Freddie Biletnikoff on the other side of the formation with a Pro Bowl TE like Dave Casper.  The problem is Cooper kind of had to take on both roles last year (as opposed to putting someone else on the perimeter for opponents to worry about matching up with). While I'm at it contemplating time to throw, Jedrick Wills on the blind side of the formation doesn't quite have the same commitment to excellence that a former 3rd round draft pick Art Shell had.  The good news is Joel Bitionio is willing to perform well enough to frequent Pro Bowls like Gene Upshaw used to.

Why all that ridiculous comparison stuff from me?   Ideas are fine if you have the know how to orchestrate it all with the personnel at hand. Once upon a time, the Browns needed to replace Lindy Infante as the OC - but they had a seemingly great idea to keep his offense that stretched defenses horizontally as much as vertically.  The problem that arose from that was the guy replacing Lindy Infante wasn't Lindy Infante.  In other words, he didn't have the same understanding of how to utilize the design to attack the defense.  The quiet stars of our offense in 1986 were 3rd down gems WR Brian Brennan and RB Herman Fontenot.  They attacked the areas and spaces vacated by defenses wanting to blitz the cement shoe'd Bernie Kosar and man did that work.  Brennan led the Browns with 55 receptions while Fontenot snuck into the lineup enough to add 47 receptions on our 12 win team.  Anyway, the replacement OC for Infante in 1988 had time management issues, problems with getting the right personnel in for the down and distance situation; and other things lacking the understanding of the design and philosophy.  It's kind of like the Bill Belichick assistant coaches getting Head Coaching jobs without Bill's supervision and wealth of experience any more - plus not having Tom Brady as their QB. Gee, what could go wrong?

This isn't directed at you Orion; but I keep reading people saying Stefanski's job is on the line which is probably true.  That said, WHO has the ultimate responsibility for the sum of all it's parts to work?  Ok, so Depo wants the Kenny Stabler to Cliff Branch deep hook-ups.  Fine with me, then he better show me an Art Shell equivalence at Left Tackle (on the blind side) to give our QB the time to launch. And if Depo ever wants to see a Ghost to the Post from the TE - then the TE can't be kept in to baby-sit our LT with blind side pass pro.  I AM reading Elijah Moore isn't a slot receiver and he can line up outside or inside so we traded away our 2nd round pick for him to be our Cliff Branch, which makes Amari Cooper our Freddie Biletnikoff.  One scouting report I read on Elijah coming out of college was - he didn't have an elite QB throwing to him and there's room for improvement on his route precision.  I'm guessing Musgrave was added to help design and tailor the passing game to Watson's strengths in tandem with Depodesta's pass game wishes.  1 year late like the DL stuff, but not to worry - Depodesta has tenure and Stefanski does not.  All potential land mines remind me Jimmy Haslam is our owner.  I hope it works; because if it doesn't - I think we're gonna see the wrong guy getting fired.  FWIW, Stefanski did a nice job coordinating the offense for Brissett just as he did for Baker when the Browns went 11-5 during his 1st year as our HC calling the plays.  Baker had a TD:INT ratio of 26:8, which means Stefanski helped us win with/despite them.  I'm gonna be specific - I don't think our problem is Stefanski even if there's times I question a certain play call here and there.  

We're long overdue for pleasant surprises here.  Let's see what happens...

I guess the part of job security is my issue.    First, i don't think Depo has as much to do with shaping the team as many think.

That said, the eye test says the sum of the parts should be better than what we have gotten, thus the main heat falls on the coaching staff.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I guess the part of job security is my issue.    First, i don't think Depo has as much to do with shaping the team as many think.

That said, the eye test says the sum of the parts should be better than what we have gotten, thus the main heat falls on the coaching staff.

Sure he does.. He consults with his laptop on a daily basis...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nickers said:

Sure he does.. He consults with his laptop on a daily basis...

Depodesta also wants to be Al Davis all of a sudden except for the "Just win baby!"

Also, except for Art Shell at Left Tackle.  Also, except for the Cliff Branch on the opposite side of the formation of our Freddie Biletnikoff (Amari Cooper, whom I like).  Our FO did think Anthony Schwartz looked like the next Cliff Branch except for the running routes and catching the ball part.

Depodesta also requires that Stefanski meets with him and the owner every week to go over the game plan.  That's pretty hands-on man.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Depodesta also wants to be Al Davis all of a sudden except for the "Just win baby!"

Also, except for Art Shell at Left Tackle.  Also, except for the Cliff Branch on the opposite side of the formation of our Freddie Biletnikoff (Amari Cooper, whom I like).  Our FO did think Anthony Schwartz looked like the next Cliff Branch except for the running routes an catching the ball part.

Depodesta also requires that Stefanski meets with him and the owner every week to go over the game plan.  That's pretty hands-on man.

He's got more to do with this team than Ballpeen thinks... No disrespect or anything on peen but c'mon man... This dude firmly has his finger lodged in the dyke so to speak...

31 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I am not saying he isn't a player, but him approving gameplans is bullshit.

But it's true...

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, nobody typed "approving gameplans" except ballpeen.  Meeting can also mean receive input from Depodesta and owner as opposed to just a thumbs up or thumbs down.  Again that seems pretty hands-on.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, nobody typed "approving gameplans" except ballpeen.  Meeting can also mean receive input from Depodesta and owner as opposed to just a thumbs up or thumbs down.  Again that seems pretty hands-on.

Fair enough.

I still think it is more urban legend than anything reality based.

On 4/11/2023 at 4:03 PM, ballpeen said:

Well, Stef said that he has to meet with them on Fridays to discuss his gameplan for Sunday.  I'm assuming that something more than just saying, Thanks Stef.  Now let's have some ice cream, is said.  And we know how Haslem likes to be in on everything.....except of course, the rebate swindling scheme.  He and the janitor had no idea of that.  

I am sure everybody meets on Fridays to discuss the gameplan.  I am sure analytics has input.  Why wouldn't you want them to have input?

But approval...sorry, don't buy it.

I'll say this....if what you say is true and Stefanski allows that, he is a weak ass punk who needs to be fired since he hasn't quit at this point.

22 hours ago, Orion said:

...another smurf sized guy.   C'mon Weston, be good!

We must have a decent slot receiver somewhere in that room now.  (double slot formation)

Oh yes  ..... a possession and move the chains guy likes we've had or recently lost.  Brian Brennan for one.   There should be a few in the locker room. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 6:24 PM, Orion said:

...another smurf sized guy.   C'mon Weston, be good!

We must have a decent slot receiver somewhere in that room now.  (double slot formation)

I think you are a bit fixated on the "smurf"  deal.

Isn't the new TE a big target?  I only mention that to highlight we do have some size,   but also agree that Weston could be a decent option.  I actually like him more than I did Woods.

• Like 1