THE BROWNS BOARD

Cade York is out.

nickers

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

I know its stressful as a fan

I get it too. I really do. But imagine a team that's never made it to a Super Bowl and you're in a game that comes down to a kick that sends you to the playoffs, or to the Super Bowl, or one that puts the Lombardi trophy on your mantle. When it comes down to it, he really needs to make his kicks. It's his only job and he needs to get it done or we get someone who can. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I was just a kid, but from what I remember, Dawson took a couple years before he became the Phil we all knew and loved. 

It did.  People were also saying he had a weak leg and wanted to cut him..

On 8/18/2023 at 8:24 PM, Coyote said:

Cade is struggling mentally to focus.    I get his struggle.     I shoot pool in a league , and sometimes when things aren't clicking upstairs you miss shots that you make 98-100 times.    It drives you  fucking absolutely crazy.    I've made this shot 100 times..........WTF is going on???        Then it clicks.    And you can't miss............you can fucking TRY to miss but nope you make your shot.     I know its stressful as a fan, but Cade has the talent.     If he goes half the year and sucks, then replace him.    And missing 1 field, does not mean he sucks.   If he goes 5/11...........that sucks.         

I understand your point...that his missing FG's has affected his mental state...which is a positive feedback loop resulting in more missing of FG's.  But this is the pros.  All positions require the player to be able to handle it mentally.  It's part of the job.  -  An owner might say, Look!  It doesn't matter to me why an able bodied kicker misses FG's to the extant that he's consistently rated among the league's worst kickers!  I need someone who can kick it such that we win!

17 hours ago, Orion said:

I understand your point...that his missing FG's has affected his mental state...which is a positive feedback loop resulting in more missing of FG's.  But this is the pros.  All positions require the player to be able to handle it mentally.  It's part of the job.  -  An owner might say, Look!  It doesn't matter to me why an able bodied kicker misses FG's to the extant that he's consistently rated among the league's worst kickers!  I need someone who can kick it such that we win!

Last year in fact the week after  he won the game in carolina. He said, Im paraphrasing here( he said one week you are the goat the next you can be in the outhouse) Dude jinxed himself

• Like 1

Cade is a good kicker, but he likes the long FG tries.  If I was Stefanski, I would tell Cade I wasn't going to let him kick over 45 yards until he started making those kicks at an 85% clip.

Field position is still a thing in football.  If we aren't spotting the ball on the 35 yard line, you aren't going to get to kick.  We will just go for it on 4th and 8.  Heck, pooch punt.

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2023 at 8:34 AM, Jax said:

My main concern is Watson, mainly because we invested everything in him.

And he better be crazy fucking good too...

On 8/18/2023 at 5:49 PM, Orion said:

i made that same point some days ago.

I mean, we've got so many coaches and front office people that they're falling out of windows.  We can't bring in a kicking coach?

There's actually several in the NE Ohio area. My son went to several kicking camps in the area....can't remember the guy's name, but he was from Geneva & was great. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-free-agent-kickers-2023-available-mason-crosby-robbie-gould/xbl1wnkamt45oyfes0yagwdz

Robbie Gould

The oldest kicker on this list, Gould is heading into his age-40 campaign as a free agent after having spent the past six years with the 49ers. Last year, he saw full kickoff duties for the first time since 2016 with the Giants, and notched a career-best 47 touchbacks.

It wasn't a perfect season for Gould, however. He went 7-for-11 on kicks in the 40s, though he was a perfect two-for-two on 50-plus-yarders during the season. He finished the year with a field goal percentage of 84.4 percent and a near-perfect 50-for-51 on extra-point tries.

13 hours ago, Orion said:

Well, that's 9.4 points better than our guy.

On a small sample size, 1-2 kicks can swing those percentage a great deal.  I am not sure that looking at % is the best barometer.

30 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

On a small sample size, 1-2 kicks can swing those percentage a great deal.  I am not sure that looking at % is the best barometer.

The best barometer would be to look at % when it's choke time. I play racquetball and when my opponent reaches a serving for the match point, I love to grab my throat with both hands as he's taking the ball from me to serve just to let him know it's choke time. Works better than 50% of the time too. And that's what I think you'll find with our kicker if you look at choke time only. You know, like missing two game winners just in a preseason game. LOL!😵‍💫

26 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

like missing two game winners just in a preseason game. LOL!

If you're missing kicks in August, what's going to happen in November-December when the weather isn't so great? 

21 hours ago, Orion said:

If you're missing kicks in August, what's going to happen in November-December when the weather isn't so great? 

The future never tells.

Maybe he makes them.

9 hours ago, hish747 said:

As has been mentioned before, his kicks look terrible even when he makes them.

And that can't be overstated.  It means something.  I understand that the drafted kicker gets more than one season...but shaky kicking has to be evaluated in way that is best for the team....at some point.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

And that can't be overstated.  It means something.  I understand that the drafted kicker gets more than one season...but shaky kicking has to be evaluated in way that is best for the team....at some point.

And I am sure it will be evaluated.  It just seems like some have already done their evaluations.

29 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

It just seems like some have already done their evaluations.

I guess I've slipped into that camp.  I don't get to see him at practice, where I'm assuming he looks great, I only see him in games.  And from what his FG kicks look like in games, it doesn't lend itself to having a lot of confidence when that unit trots onto the field.  Our window to win is (RF) now.  And we're going to need to make FG's in order to win.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I guess I've slipped into that camp.  I don't get to see him at practice, where I'm assuming he looks great, I only see him in games.  And from what his FG kicks look like in games, it doesn't lend itself to having a lot of confidence when that unit trots onto the field.  Our window to win is (RF) now.  And we're going to need to make FG's in order to win.

Hypothetical situation. Say he does get his shit straightened out just good enough to give you the impression that he can be relied on. We're in the AFC championship game and it comes down to the last kick of the game, we're down by one point and he misses. How is that going to look knowing he has a history of missing even the most easiest of kicks and you had ample time to find a replacement. I don't want to see anyone lose their job but the writing is on the wall that he can't be trusted. 

3 hours ago, Neo said:

Hypothetical situation. Say he does get his shit straightened out just good enough to give you the impression that he can be relied on. We're in the AFC championship game and it comes down to the last kick of the game, we're down by one point and he misses. How is that going to look knowing he has a history of missing even the most easiest of kicks and you had ample time to find a replacement. I don't want to see anyone lose their job but the writing is on the wall that he can't be trusted. 

Then he misses the kick.  

What happens if we replace York, and whoever we get does the same as your hypothetical?

• Upvote 1

What everyone should have taken away from todays game is this team has immense talent across the field. The reality is, though, so does the AFC north and the whole division for that matter.

Games are going to be close, and our division is loaded at the kicker position. It will be an absolute failure if York is booting them week one. I don’t give a shit about his potential- this team is ready to win NOW. Let another team be the dudes project. 

the way he absolutely shanked the first extra point and acted like the small running into him caused it made my eye twitch. Everything he is doing is broken- time to wipe the slate.