THE BROWNS BOARD

Cade York is out.

nickers

On 8/5/2023 at 4:48 PM, nickers said:

Yeah but didn't Chubb sit behind Saquan Barkley in college if I'm not mistaken?.. Who became the better,available back again?

Chubb played at Georgia with Sony Michel. Maybe that is what you are thinking of. I didn't know much about Chubb coming into the NFL, but I have a friend who played RB in High School and College and is a serious FB junkie and he told me when we picked Chubb that we just got the best RB in the draft. Thus far he is right. Great pick. 

But back to York. How long do we give him? I mean really? A project at kicker is not really a good thing.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Browns57 said:

But back to York. How long do we give him? I mean really? A project at kicker is not really a good thing.

He was drafted.  Drafted because he was one of the best in college.  Unless he starts to show that he just can't get it through the uprights I should think he deserves more than the one season.  This is a key season for the future employment of more than a few in the Browns organization...whether they wear a helmet, a tie, or a headset.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Orion said:

He was drafted.  Drafted because he was one of the best in college.  Unless he starts to show that he just can't get it through the uprights I should think he deserves more than the one season.  This is a key season for the future employment of more than a few in the Browns organization...whether they wear a helmet, a tie, or a headset.

Salient points...

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2023 at 6:33 PM, Orion said:

I understand your points however, he was the second-worst full-time kicker in the league last year. So he hasn't been getting it through the uprights 25% of the time. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Browns57 said:

he was the second-worst full-time kicker in the league last year. So he hasn't been getting it through the uprights 25% of the time.

I can't argue with your facts.  But anytime a GM sticks his neck out by drafting a kicker, he's gonna get a good solid shot at it.  He's certainly going to have to make the kicks that should be made.  Or he'll be getting the boot.  ;) 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Browns57 said:

I understand your points however, he was the second-worst full-time kicker in the league last year. So he hasn't been getting it through the uprights 25% of the time. 

Andrew Berry has a bad habit of sticking with his picks a bit too long.

Exhibit A….Anthony Shwartz, I don’t know how many seasons this guy will take up a roster spot.

As a wide receiver he can’t catch the ball, and looking at last week’s game he can’t hold on to the ball.

If memory serves me correctly, I think this will be his 3rd season with the team.

I think we need to give York another year, and if he stinks we’ll just have to find a replacement.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

makes me wonder if we would keep 2 rostered kickers?

We have done it before.  Groza and Cockroft, then Cockroft and Cox.

Good point! The only nitpick is Cockroft's last season was 1980 so he never teamed up with Steve Cox.  Steve Cox came on board in 1981 to do all the place kicks over 50 yards.  He was here through 1984.  The kicker he tag-teamed with was Matt Bahr (who was with the Browns from 81-89). The 80s was my golden era following this team with 2 different sets of Kardiac Kids with countless comebacks in the closing minutes/seconds. Who gives a rat if they didn't know how to spell cardiac? The more important question is - how much of those comeback victories would have been possible with a bad place kicker?

Who did the Browns sign to compete with York for the job?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Good point! The only nitpick is Cockroft's last season was 1980 so he never teamed up with Steve Cox.  Steve Cox came on board in 1981 to do all the place kicks over 50 yards.  He was here through 1984.  The kicker he tag-teamed with was Matt Bahr (who was with the Browns from 81-89). The 80s was my golden era following this team with 2 different sets of Kardiac Kids with countless comebacks in the closing minutes/seconds. Who gives a rat if they didn't know how to spell cardiac? The more important question is - how much of those comeback victories would have been possible with a bad place kicker?

Who did the Browns sign to compete with York for the job?

But Cox and Bahr doesn't exactly fit ballpeen's idea of "two rostered kickers" technically, right?

Cox was the punter, who also could kick field goals. Not the same as having to strictly placekickers on the roster. 

15 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

But Cox and Bahr doesn't exactly fit ballpeen's idea of "two rostered kickers" technically, right?

Cox was the punter, who also could kick field goals. Not the same as having to strictly placekickers on the roster. 

True.  Having said that, Groza played OT and place kicked while Cockroft punted and place kicked for much of his career.

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

True.  Having said that, Groza played OT and place kicked while Cockroft punted and place kicked for much of his career.

I think Groza stopped playing Tackle when he retired the first time... when he returned he was strictly a kicker(?). I think that was when Cockroft was there

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think Groza stopped playing Tackle when he retired the first time... when he returned he was strictly a kicker(?). I think that was when Cockroft was there

You might have just nailed it.  Since I don't always remember why I just walked into the kitchen, I'm looking up the specifics. Okay, Cockroft's 1st 9 years in Cleveland from 1968-1977 - he did the punting and place kicking.  After that he just place kicked before retiring at the end of the 1980 season.     Lou Groza's career ended in 1967, which means that he and Cockroft were never teammates. It also means that Ballpeen was wrong and I was wrong agreeing with him.  This is doing wonders for my self-confidence that I wasn't lacking until now.  Should I start asking Alexa?  Never mind, that's probably how Nick Chubb somehow became a back-up RB at Penn State...

Last but not least, you are right. After Groza returned in 1961, there was no more offensive tackle in his job description due to all of the previous wear and tear.  He was there just to be "The Toe."   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Flugel said:

That poor kid probably couldn't catch a cold in cold and flu season.  

I know, I shouldn’t be so negative about the guy…but it’s so damned easy.

AB needs to show him the door at the end of August.

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Groza's OT days were long over by then.

Indeed...I said cox but almost said Bahr...i couldn't remember.

Anyway, my point is I am not sure i would want to cut York just yet.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Groza's OT days were long over by then.

Indeed...I said cox but almost said Bahr...i couldn't remember.

Anyway, my point is I am not sure i would want to cut York just yet.

No worries.  We eventually got to that about Groza.  😄

To your point in bold, I don't think the Browns want to cut York just yet either or they'd already have someone here competing with him.  If he struggles next week, they might want to worry less about hurting York's feelings and more about bringing in someone in to compete for the job. If that should happen and York gets outperformed - they can always put York on the practice squad.   

I don't know why they keep the guy around. Because he has a big leg? What's the use if he can't make his kicks? I would rather have a kicker with less leg but able to make his kicks. It just means you have to get closer. It shouldn't be a problem with this revamped offense.

3 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I know, I shouldn’t be so negative about the guy…but it’s so damned easy.

AB needs to show him the door at the end of August.

😆.  I hear ya!  I have to remind myself Schwartz didn't draft himself in round 3.  My frustration is more with the guy who drafted this version of Edward Scissorhands with performance anxiety thinking he's just an easy Dr Frankenstein surgery away from waking up as the next Tyreek Hill.  I have yet to see a WR show up to Cleveland with rock quarry hands only to become anything from a reliable starter to one that frequents Pro Bowls. That doesn't happen on our watch...

1 hour ago, Orion said:

He made a BIG-time kick to win us his 1st game ever.  But that's proving to be the anomaly.  We drafted him to end the kicking woes that we'd been going through...

You mean the  "I'm your man for that kicker job" ...... oh yeah. Basically has not done anything since.

Useless over 40  and not dependable up close.   Geeezzzz.

image.png.384c093e2a15c598099c41025b6346ea.png

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 4:33 PM, Browns57 said:

he hasn't been getting it through the uprights 25% of the time. 

Perhaps that's why he wears #3.  He makes 3 out of 4 FG's.  Perhaps it's in his contract...like our starting LT that only blocks for 3.5 seconds.  

I've been in his corner...but there might be something seriously wrong if ya can't make kicks in August.  I mean, what's November & December going to be like....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Flugel said:

No worries.  We eventually got to that about Groza.  😄

To your point in bold, I don't think the Browns want to cut York just yet either or they'd already have someone here competing with him.  If he struggles next week, they might want to worry less about hurting York's feelings and more about bringing in someone in to compete for the job. If that should happen and York gets outperformed - they can always put York on the practice squad.   

True.  There are a lot of guys out there who can kick who aren't in the league for one reason or another just waiting for a chance or another chance.  It might not be the ideal, but you could bring in a guy on Sunday morning if you had to do that.  I don't know the names, but the Browns have that list...many of them being players we have heard of...probably some guys who kicked or tried to kick for the Browns at one point.

not any 🏈 fans proudest moment, posting kicker links this Sunday morning 😇  but, dirty deeds come dirt cheap

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/kicker-options-for-the-cleveland-browns-214164411/  options

You can bet, Cade York will get the Cleveland media attention in Philly all week w/inter-squad practices