THE BROWNS BOARD

Cade York is out.

nickers

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

not any 🏈 fans proudest moment, posting kicker links this Sunday morning 😇  but, dirty deeds come dirt cheap

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/kicker-options-for-the-cleveland-browns-214164411/  options

You can bet, Cade York will get the Cleveland media attention in Philly all week w/inter-squad practices

I don't understand how bringing in Robbie Gould would be a bad thing right now.  The guy has a pretty freakin good NFL resume which includes killer good accuracy in the windy city inclusive of frigid temperatures off a Great Lake.  Now why would that be significant? 

Training Camp has always been about competing for starting jobs.  I hope when we play teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh we're less worried about protecting York's feelings than counting on the right guys for the ole compete to beat.  Just because Carlson somehow beat the odds after getting cut early doesn't mean York is Carlson.  As I said earlier in this thread, the Browns can always put York on the practice squad if they have to keep 1 FO ego caressed.

22 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I don't understand how bringing in Robbie Gould would be a bad thing right now. 

the Browns can always put York on the practice squad if they have to keep 

That was the 1st stud on my list.. Berry would go way over his guardrails to sign a 40 year old kicker w/FA $$ (Dorsey & Berry passed on Gould previously. (Define 'all in')

Veteran kicker Robbie Gould said today that, as much as he enjoyed his last six seasons in San Francisco, he will test free agency later this month and be kicking elsewhere in 2023.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 4, 2023

GM Lynch drafting Michigan's K Moody looks serious..

https://ninernoise.com/posts/former-49ers-kicker-robbie-gould-confusing

27 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

That was the 1st stud on my list.. Berry would go way over his guardrails to sign a 40 year old kicker w/FA $$ (Dorsey & Berry passed on Gould previously. (Define 'all in')

Veteran kicker Robbie Gould said today that, as much as he enjoyed his last six seasons in San Francisco, he will test free agency later this month and be kicking elsewhere in 2023.

The cost of winning isn't cheap.  For example, how many close games have the Rats sucked out because their kicker made every kick (quite often including some over 50 yards)?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Thank God Pittsburgh didn't draft Moody!   

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

The cost of winning isn't cheap.  For example, how many close games have the Rats sucked out because their kicker made every kick (quite often including some over 50 yards)?

and how many did we lose ? yes bring in Robby

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The York experiment is done. Go find Mason Crosby and sign him up. Never was a choker and he's only 38 years old.

Mason Crosby is ranked  #21   GNB  on the kicker list (page 4 here)  if he is available. YORK is  #22.

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The York experiment is done. Go find Mason Crosby and sign him up. Never was a choker and he's only 38 years old.

Literally every kick the guy hits has some weird ass movement on it. Even the ones that go in knuckle ball around. This dude will cost the team games if they don’t get their head out of their ass. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 1:56 PM, Dutch Oven said:

There are a lot of people associated with the Browns whose jobs are on the line.

I can't imagine they will allow Cade York to determine their collective fates. 

If anyone gets cut or fired, I heard Miss Daisey needs a new driver...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Literally every kick the guy hits has some weird ass movement on it. Even the ones that go in knuckle ball around. This dude will cost the team games if they don’t get their head out of their ass. 

Yeah we all see that and I’m certainly not a kicking expert and I don’t understand the mechanics but is he not hitting the ball squarely?  if his foot is meeting the ball off center and going off either side would that invoke the kind of movement we are seeing?

Pro golfers have a swing coach.  Whether things are going good or bad they are constantly breaking down the swing.  Can that be Ventrone? 

Everyone is saying it is mental but the movement on the ball it appears to be mechanics. 

I can't believe we are going into the season with York still on the roster. The season starts off brutal and with the way this team is built I could see a lot of these games coming down to field goals. It's even more unbelievable considering how many games his missed kicks have cost us already.

52 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I was just a kid, but from what I remember, Dawson took a couple years before he became the Phil we all knew and loved. 

As I mentioned, it isn't just the fact he's missing to me. I re-watched each of his kicks from last night and they just look bad, even if they go in. Unless there's some masterful art of kicking I'm not privy to, every single ball he kicks is hit low and knuckles around in the air. Literally every single kick last night had movement once it was in the air.

I understand sometimes that's intentional based on conditions, but everything he's doing looks off. On top of that, dude looked like he was about to shit his pants on the last two misses. The yips are a real ass thing and that man has 'em.

59 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

off. On top of that, dude looked like he was about to shit his pants on the last two misses. The yips are a real ass thing and that man has 'em.

Saw that.   His first make, he was as wide-eyed and sweaty as you'll see someone.  But when you're a young guy trying to make it in the league and it boils down to a 'made' or 'not made' situation to keep your job, I suppose we can all understand that a bit.   He looked a fair bit more relaxed on his 2nd attempt, which was also good.  

It's a mental glass ceiling, and I think we all believe he can get there.   The questions are, 'how?', 'how long?' and 'will it cost us games until he does?'. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Browns backing kicker Cade York despite his preseason struggles

“Cade’s our kicker. We support him,” Stefanski said. "We have a ton of confidence in him. It's really as simple as that.”

------

Kevin, review the tape.

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yeah we all see that and I’m certainly not a kicking expert and I don’t understand the mechanics but is he not hitting the ball squarely?  if his foot is meeting the ball off center and going off either side would that invoke the kind of movement we are seeing?

Pro golfers have a swing coach.  Whether things are going good or bad they are constantly breaking down the swing.  Can that be Ventrone? 

Everyone is saying it is mental but the movement on the ball it appears to be mechanics. 

Since none of the special teams coordinators were former kickers or punters, they really do not coach up kickers.

Dave Zastudil, former punter of the Browns, flat-out admitted this today on 92.3. Basically he'd have to go to his special teams coordinator and tell him what to look for.... basically "tells" that would indicate that Zastudil was starting to get into bad habits. 

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I thought Mason went through his own “yips” a few years ago and the Packers stood by him. 

He had a game vs Cincinnati a few years ago where he must have missed like three potential game winners in a row down the stretch. And I'm talking 42 yarders.... 

Edit: Yep, here it was:

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118/12431040/green-bay-packers-25-22-cincinnati-bengals-mason-crosby-kicks-game-winner-in-overtime-after-five-missed-field-goals#:~:text=Crosby%2C who was responsible for,seconds left in the contest.

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Since none of the special teams coordinators were former kickers or punters, they really do not coach up kickers.

Dave Zastudil, former punter of the Browns, flat-out admitted this today on 92.3

i made that same point some days ago.

I mean, we've got so many coaches and front office people that they're falling out of windows.  We can't bring in a kicking coach?

Cade is struggling mentally to focus.    I get his struggle.     I shoot pool in a league , and sometimes when things aren't clicking upstairs you miss shots that you make 98-100 times.    It drives you  fucking absolutely crazy.    I've made this shot 100 times..........WTF is going on???        Then it clicks.    And you can't miss............you can fucking TRY to miss but nope you make your shot.     I know its stressful as a fan, but Cade has the talent.     If he goes half the year and sucks, then replace him.    And missing 1 field, does not mean he sucks.   If he goes 5/11...........that sucks.         

• Upvote 2