THE BROWNS BOARD

Playoffs

syd

On 11/23/2023 at 9:21 AM, Flugel said:

Exactly AP!  The Browns don't have to pray/watch for everyone else to lose if they keep winning.  IMO, pretenders count on everyone else while contenders take care of their own business.  

That's a big reason why I like it when teams are full strength or close to it when we beat them.. It removes all doubt and excuses...

9 hours ago, nickers said:

That's a big reason why I like it when teams are full strength or close to it when we beat them.. It removes all doubt and excuses...

I used to think like that; but how possible is this 10 games into a regular season today?    Just look at the Browns -  lost Chubb, Conklin, Jones, Wills, and Watson just on offense.  3 of those very key guys are done for the rest of the year.  Let's not pretend this is easy sledding; but they're still beating teams with real good records. 

Now that they're doing this - people were complaining about the play calling in the game the Browns BEAT Pittsburgh in.  Did the Browns offense give Pittsburgh's defense 2 TDs off turnovers again?  Nope.  Did the Browns offense have a lot of penalties or turnovers facing Highsmith and Watt with a 2nd string LT and 3rd string RT?  Nope. Then I read guys bellyaching about the quicker/shorter passes given the situation "Stefanski doesn't know how to call plays."   Maybe we give him credit for knowing 14 points during turnovers in the 1st matchup with Pitt = 4 point loss.  Yes?  No?   The reality is Stefanski learned how to beat Pittsburgh; but it had to be with an offensive line-up without Watson, Chubb, Conklin/Jones, Wills counting on a rookie QB in his 2nd start.  If anyone was expecting a pretty/pristine and wide-open passing game against that line-up with an offensive lineup brought to you by General Hospital - good luck with that.

And yes, I listened to former UT DB Charles Davis commentating all game long that the passes needed to be deeper.  The problem with that?  He didn't see the first game between the Browns and Pittsburgh nor did he see the 1st start DTR had.  I normally like Charles Davis' insights; but the Browns figured out a way to beat Pittsburgh with a rookie QB in his 2nd start with backup tackles facing Watt and Highsmith on a rare day the Browns couldn't run the ball.  This light at the end of the tunnel doesn't have to be the headlamp of an oncoming train unless one needs it to be.  I kind of like us some hard earned 7-3 football.  You can punch this team right in the mouth; but they'll just spit their broken teeth right backatchya and point to the scoreboard... 

• Upvote 1

Looking back the past 27 games In many ways Kevin probably calls a better game when he doesn’t have his lead signal caller.  There are still hiccups along the way like the last offensive play call in the Seahawk game.  I/we expect having all the Jimmy and Joes available Kevin and staff would take advantage of talent discrepancies instead of flexing Harrison Bryant out and watching balls bounce off his mitts or 4th and 1 going deep play action to Anthony Schwartz. 

He called an almost perfect game against the Steelers.  Right before the game I complained on here about his deep drops against the Steelers lack of balance with run/pass play calls, etc…almost forgetting their propensity to kill QBs. We couldn’t run so he incorporates a quasi run approach (short pass) that doesn’t expose our missing pieces on the line. Maybe a deep shot or two more each half to keep the safeties honest but other than that - THIS IS WHAT WE have folks.  It stinks but our QB is what he is  at this point - and the wins IF/when they come are gonna be ugly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Looking back the past 27 games In many ways Kevin probably calls a better game when he doesn’t have his lead signal caller.  There are still hiccups along the way like the last offensive play call in the Seahawk game.  I/we expect having all the Jimmy and Joes available Kevin and staff would take advantage of talent discrepancies instead of flexing Harrison Bryant out and watching balls bounce off his mitts or 4th and 1 going deep play action to Anthony Schwartz. 

He called an almost perfect game against the Steelers.  Right before the game I complained on here about his deep drops against the Steelers lack of balance with run/pass play calls, etc…almost forgetting their propensity to kill QBs. We couldn’t run so he incorporates a quasi run approach (short pass) that doesn’t expose our missing pieces on the line. Maybe a deep shot or two more each half to keep the safeties honest but other than that - THIS IS WHAT WE have folks.  It stinks but our QB is what he is  at this point - and the wins IF/when they come are gonna be ugly. 

As I talked about in my last post, his play calling helped our 3rd string RT and 2nd string LT against Highsmith and Watt while the quicker passes also prevented sacks.  If the Browns/Njoku stop dropping the amount of passes dropped last week - it would pretty up the passing game some.  I thought DTR did pretty well on the last drive when there was no margin of error remaining.  He made the throws that extended the drive for an easy FG to follow.

• Upvote 1

AFC North

W L T PCT DIFF

Ravens

+137

Steelers

Browns

+30

Bengals 

Baltimore Ravens 

What to know: The Ravens are up a game in the loss column (1.5 games overall) and are the No. 1 seed in the AFC. 

Remaining schedule: Bye, vs. Rams, at Jaguars, at 49ers, vs. Dolphins, vs. Steelers 

Pittsburgh Steelers

What to know: The Steelers hold the tiebreaker over the Browns based on having a better win percentage in division games. They are currently the No. 5 seed in the AFC. 

Remaining schedule: vs. Cardinals, vs. Patriots, at Colts, vs. Bengals, at Seahawks, at Ravens 

Cleveland Browns 

What to know: The Browns are a game up on the final playoff spot in the AFC, losing the tiebreaker to the Steelers due to Pittsburgh having a better divisional win percentage. 

Remaining schedule: at Rams, vs. Jaguars, vs. Bears, at Texans, vs. Jets, at Bengals 

Cincinnati Bengals

What to know: The Bengals are the No. 11 seed in the AFC, one game behind the Colts for the final playoff spot in the conference. 

Remaining schedule: at Jaguars, vs. Colts, vs. Vikings, at Steelers, at Chiefs, vs. Browns 

• Thanks 1

While the Cleveland Browns saw their playoff probability drop nearly 20 percent after a loss to the Denver Broncos, they can put themselves right back in the driver’s seat with a bounce-back win in Los Angeles against the Rams this weekend.

According to Sumer Sports, the Browns can see their playoff probability jump back up to 87 percent if they can find a way to sneak out a win against the Rams on the road. Sumer has been higher on the Browns than metrics like ESPN’s Football Power Index have been despite the loss and their suboptimal quarterback situation.

Looking likely to start their fourth quarterback on the season given rookie Dorian Thompson-Robinson is still in the concussion protocol, the Browns will look to make a run down the stretch with 38-year-old former Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco.

If head coach Kevin Stefanski can continue to pull out wins like he has been, he will find himself with a new contract at season’s end.

I hate to be Captain Obvious, but it's to the point where games can no longer afford to be lost. For the sake of Conference records they're going to have to beat the Texans. They flat out need the wins against the Jets, Bears and Bengals. 

Some, myself included, were hoping to go 2-0 on the AFC West Road Trip. I think everyone at least expected a split.

Screenshot_20231203_210339_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 2

After we beat the Steelers, the back of my mind was telling me, 'Enjoy this.  Because it's the high point of your season.'  And the back of my mind is smarter than I am.

The Jaguars lost last night...and now we gotta play 'em.   I don't see them dropping two in a row.  And now the Bengals are poised to leapfrog us in the standings.

6 hours ago, Orion said:

After we beat the Steelers, the back of my mind was telling me, 'Enjoy this.  Because it's the high point of your season.'  And the back of my mind is smarter than I am.

The Jaguars lost last night...and now we gotta play 'em.   I don't see them dropping two in a row.  And now the Bengals are poised to leapfrog us in the standings.

😉 don't be an Eeyore Orion.  Sure- the Browns are beat up, and the Jags lost a game they probably should have won. But they may well be missing their #1 QB, and #1 WR. (the Jags are being mighty quiet about updating Lawrence's injury) but if I had to bet, it's at least a grade two sprain of that ankle...  An injury you can't just tape up, shoot up and go out and play.  EDIT: just in- high ankle sprain, Sunday game status TBD .. Beathard will get first team reps in practice. WR Kirk- core muscle injury, you can pencil him OUT this week.  The weather Sunday is forecast windy and rain (damn- we could sure use Mr. Chubb for this one).  

Yeah, one takeaway from the MNF game is Browning is a more than capable backup, (32\37 350 yards) so no sleeping on the Bengals.  For sure, I'll be tuning into TNF to see what the Pickens less Steelers can do against the now hapless Patriots.  

& PS- at 6-6 the Bengals almost have to win out to have a shot at the playoffs.  

I still have faith in the Browns. This is a must win.

Schwartz- I'm sure he's been busy evaluating the D and will implement a few tweaks.

Stefanski- realizing running the ball will be paramount in the potential bad weather (wind, rainy). Yes, I know he's the underdog vs Pederson. 

Players- probably pissed about the west trip. 

Pats did our Playoff hopes a favor, and we can do ourselves another one on Sunday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like we are rank #4 if we beat the Jags! Which changes nothing, because we still play them 1st round, but hey, finishing 4th is better than 5th, right?

https://www.nfl.com/standings/playoff-picture

AFC

3 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Pats did our Playoff hopes a favor, and we can do ourselves another one on Sunday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like we are rank #4 if we beat the Jags! Which changes nothing, because we still play them 1st round, but hey, finishing 4th is better than 5th, right?

AFC

We wouldn’t seed ahead of them as long as they are winning their division. Which they may not, Texans and colts are both 1 game behind them.

its great Pittsburgh is blowing the games they thought would be easy. It’s crazy the cardinals and pats are the difference between them being 9-4 and 7-6

Though we will also fall out all together probably with a loss to the Jags this weekend. Huge game for the browns.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Division winners are guaranteed one home playoff game. The non-division winners are playing for the #5 spot.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/3/2023 at 9:07 PM, AP1 said:

I hate to be Captain Obvious, but it's to the point where games can no longer afford to be lost. For the sake of Conference records they're going to have to beat the Texans. They flat out need the wins against the Jets, Bears and Bengals. 

Some, myself included, were hoping to go 2-0 on the AFC West Road Trip. I think everyone at least expected a split.

Screenshot_20231203_210339_Chrome.jpg

As we're seeing, the team we want to be vrs the team we are is more about injury volume than what the opening day roster projected.  Speaking of Captain Obvious - we need to start getting some of our talented players back healthy asap as our margin of error continues to get smaller.  It's the Cleveland Browns so nothing will be easy - BUT THEY CAN DO THIS.  Pretenders worry about what everyone else is doing.  Contenders focus on what they have to do and win!  Time to giddy-up and get after it!

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, bbedward said:

We wouldn’t seed ahead of them as long as they are winning their division. Which they may not, Texans and colts are both 1 game behind them.

its great Pittsburgh is blowing the games they thought would be easy. It’s crazy the cardinals and pats are the difference between them being 9-4 and 7-6

Though we will also fall out all together probably with a loss to the Jags this weekend. Huge game for the browns.

What a crazy season. I figured the Steelers would cake walk to the playoffs a couple weeks ago. 

C'mon Browns, protect the home turf & take this Jax game.

5 hours ago, bbedward said:

Anyone else with me thinking pregame, that there was no way in hell the Steelers could lose to the Patriots at home on TNF?   Their remaining schedule suddenly looks a lot tougher. At Colts, Bengals, at Seattle, at Baltimore. 

You have a golden opportunity Sunday Cleveland- don't blow it...  

• Upvote 2

On 12/3/2023 at 8:07 PM, AP1 said:

Lone Ranger "We're surrounded by hostile indians Tonto!"

Tonto: "What you mean we Kemosabe?"

I figured on losses to both given how and where they were playing and our QB situation.

Now this week the Jags are trying to hide their injured QB. You don't get over high ankle sprain in a week. Garrrett played with one most of his last year at A&M, but the Browns were at least smart enough to see he'd be better than what that year showed based on prior years. Pretty gimpy and QB's with legs like TL has normally ain't outrunning the Browns' D with a recent high ankle sprain.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Lone Ranger "We're surrounded by hostile indians Tonto!"

Tonto: "What you mean we Kemosabe?"

I figured on losses to both given how and where they were playing and our QB situation.

Now this week the Jags are trying to hide their injured QB. You don't get over high ankle sprain in a week. Garrrett played with one most of his last year at A&M, but the Browns were at least smart enough to see he'd be better than what that year showed based on prior years. Pretty gimpy and QB's with legs like TL has normally ain't outrunning the Browns' D with a recent high ankle sprain.

Oh, and supposedly the Jags starting LT Little is nursing a hamstring injury...   Mr. Pederson, do you really want to put your gimpy franchise QB out there against Myles and the Browns defense? I agree Tex, doesn't matter how tight they wrap Lawrence's ankle, a sprain like that takes more than 5 days to resolve.   

As I told bb in another thread, Kev can be coy about it, but if he doesn't start Joe against another playoff caliber team, he should be fired on the spot.  BTW, this is one of the few games where we have a TV conflict with those darn Bungles here in Dayton, so it's off to my pal's house for Sunday Ticket time.  

image.thumb.png.b558cc57613df26f81476d4c8a0aa441.png

• Upvote 1

We've just lost to two teams with worse records than ours and currently wouldn't qualify for the playoffs.  While two of the next three teams we face have equal or better records than us and would currently qualify for the playoffs.  We've won these types of games already this season (SF, Balt).  And apparently that's what it's going to take in order to make the playoffs.  Because in looking at the remaining schedules of our wild card competition.....we might need to win the next four games.  The Texans, Colts and Broncos are playing pretty well and will be favored to win most of their remaining games.  The Bills have it a little tougher, but they're a potent team and can easily go on a streak.  - I really don't want to see us have to go into Cincinnati for the last game and need to win it.  Let's start the four game win streak now.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Orion said:

We've just lost to two teams with worse records than ours and currently wouldn't qualify for the playoffs.  While two of the next three teams we face have equal or better records than us and would currently qualify for the playoffs.  We've won these types of games already this season (SF, Balt).  And apparently that's what it's going to take in order to make the playoffs.  Because in looking at the remaining schedules of our wild card competition.....we might need to win the next four games.  The Texans, Colts and Broncos are playing pretty well and will be favored to win most of their remaining games.  The Bills have it a little tougher, but they're a potent team and can easily go on a streak.  - I really don't want to see us have to go into Cincinnati for the last game and need to win it.  Let's start the four game win streak now.

Cincy has it very tough, and week 18 there will probably be like a home game with 90% browns fans.

Texans/colts play each other, and some of the other hunting teams play each other which makes it a bit easier.

I’d we take down the Jags, things look very good for the Browns. If not then we can probably still squeak in with 10 wins.

51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Isn't it great?

How many years would we have been talking about the Draft by Halloween? 

Yeah, it's almost like believing in Santa Claus again this time of year!  There's even a kinder, gentler @Ghoolie Always Ghoolie that doesn't want to be called the Winter Warlock any more.  Today, he says "just call me Winter."

And how many years did we end up gagging on all those drafts anyway?   I had to remind a few guys that wanted to lose for a higher draft pick that we're still going to have the same hollow domes in charge of  our drafting. The FO that drafted Brandon Weeden with our 2nd 1st round pick when we could have drafted Russell Wilson (somewhere between round 2 and where Seattle landed him in round 3) - could have given Joe Thomas the post season appearances his HOF efforts deserved.  

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Isn't it great?

How many years would we have been talking about the Draft by Halloween? 

Too many, it was a turn off for me, although I do respect some of the analysis around here. 

This playoff race is exactly what the Commissioner wants- close, competitive, many teams involved. 

I think the Browns overcome these injuries & get in, starting with a W tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, it's almost like believing in Santa Claus again this time of year!  There's even a kinder, gentler @Ghoolie Always Ghoolie that doesn't want to be called the Winter Warlock any more.  Today, he says "just call me Winter."

And how many years did we end up gagging on all those drafts anyway?   I had to remind a few guys that wanted to lose for a higher draft pick that we're still going to have the same hollow domes in charge of  our drafting. The FO that drafted Brandon Weeden with our 2nd 1st round pick when we could have drafted Russell Wilson (somewhere between round 2 and where Seattle landed him in round 3) - could have given Joe Thomas the post season appearances his HOF efforts deserved.  

Posts like this remind me just how hard it is to have nice things... But I still haven't seen anyone come here that made me feel like (be it player or FO figure) okay!.. We're home now!.. This is it!... It just always feels like there's that one ingredient missing... To me it speaks volumes on what Bill Callahan and Jim Schwartz brings to the table. You just wonder.. Why can't Kevin be that savvy.. or at least just handle the administrative end.. Let the coaches do what we need to on offense... And just stop getting cute in key moments.

6 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Too many, it was a turn off for me, although I do respect some of the analysis around here. 

This playoff race is exactly what the Commissioner wants- close, competitive, many teams involved. 

I think the Browns overcome these injuries & get in, starting with a W tomorrow.

I love talking Draft, but it is nice to not have it be the main focus here at this time of the year. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Flugel said:

The could woulda shoulda for the drafts apply to every team, but they are so, so much worse for the browns. 

Don’t even have to go back that far - imagine if we chose Josh Allen over Baker in 2018 🙃 People can debate it all they want - but one of those guys has Watson-like value and the other is bouncing around teams, Tampa Bay is having the debate we had for years - they aren’t sure if this is the guy they should build a team around.

Our last first round picks pre-Watson I think are Newsome and Wills, also not particularly impact players. 

—-

But who can complain, they’ve been winning and hold the top wild card seed - great to have some extremely good December football 😁

I can’t even imagine the reaction of people if you told em after 2021 wild card that baker would be on his 4th team and the browns are in control of their own destiny with Joe Flacco at the helm