THE BROWNS BOARD

Playoffs

syd

59 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Let me refer you to the excellent detailed standings & analysis on ESPN....

all was pending during 4pm games H 

Shocking we're not sticking 5 bucks into some Espn writers kitty jar for that information 🤑 ;)

When they took locally aired hockey games off for ESPN plus rates.. We quit caring for E$pn all together in the Carolina's..

this Browns team needs to look prepared for winning a road game in Chicago from the 1st whistle next week.. ☃️(that I'd pay to watch 🧐)    

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

this Browns team needs to look prepared for winning a road game in Chicago from the 1st whistle next week.

...one of my Must Win games.   -  It is a Home game however.  :) 

1 hour ago, bbedward said:

The bears are getting hot just at the wrong time for the browns. Hopefully we get some of the oline back

Browns need to win this game. If they can win next week it will really put them in the drivers seat to make the playoffs. If the Browns hold serve at home that should get them in.

1 hour ago, bbedward said:

Im holding onto my prediction that the Browns beat the Bears and Texans, drop to the jets just so they can fuck up some draft positioning, and then win 5 games in a row starting with Cincinnati.

The Jets are getting hot too as are the Bengals.  Gotta win these.  Teams 1 game behind us like Denver and Pitt have the tie breaker edge with us.

My neighbor is a Bears' fan and every Sunday as soon as they get behind he texts a lot of us on our street that he's done with them.  It reminds me of that Dr Pepper Commercial/Video someone shared where all the fans of a team throw a fit, break stuff and start a bon fire to burn their clothes when the sheriff interrupts them with some thing like - "Take it easy - that was only the 1st play of the game!"

1 minute ago, Flugel said:

The Jets are getting hot too as are the Bengals.  Gotta win these.  Teams 1 game behind us like Denver and Pitt have the tie breaker edge with us.

My neighbor is a Bears' fan and every Sunday as soon as they get behind he texts a lot of us on our street that he's done with them.  It reminds me of that Dr Pepper Commercial/Video someone shared where all the fans of a team throw a fit, break stuff and start a bon fire to burn their clothes when the sheriff interrupts them with some thing like - "Take it easy - that was only the 1st play of the game!"

I’m not worried about anybody on our schedule really, I think the bengals run is going to fall flat because of their schedule and tie breaker positioning. If they are eliminated by week 18 it will be 95% Cleveland fans in Cincinnati that week.

I wouldn’t call the Jets hot, they caught the Texans on a very bad day and that’s about the only positive offensive game all year.

Bears probably scare me the most out the remaining teams, which I wouldn’t have expected to say a few weeks ago. They are going nowhere but are getting hot and playing for a long shot playoff scenario.

2 hours ago, bbedward said:

I’m not worried about anybody on our schedule really, I think the bengals run is going to fall flat because of their schedule and tie breaker positioning. If they are eliminated by week 18 it will be 95% Cleveland fans in Cincinnati that week.

I wouldn’t call the Jets hot, they caught the Texans on a very bad day and that’s about the only positive offensive game all year.

Bears probably scare me the most out the remaining teams, which I wouldn’t have expected to say a few weeks ago. They are going nowhere but are getting hot and playing for a long shot playoff scenario.

True about the Jets!  I'm old so I've been trained for decades that the games we're supposed to win/or that look easiest - rarely ever work out that way.  Having said that, Flacco is restoring my confidence that we can have some consistency in our passing game.

Let's just say I'd rather be pleasantly surprised... 

Edited by Flugel

2 hours ago, bbedward said:

Actually bb, I'm worried about all our remaining games. Just this past week...  In the doormat division, Patriots beat Steelers- on the road...  Jets smear the playoff quality Texans... And Da Bears easily handled the Playoff bound Lions.  

On any given Sunday- or Saturday this week for that matter.  About 5 games that will have huge playoff implications.... Vikings- Bengals, Broncos- Lions, Texans- Titans, Cowboys- Bills, and Ravens- Jaguars...  I'd actually prefer that the Colts beat the Steelers, because we own the head to head tiebreaker with them.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Actually bb, I'm worried about all our remaining games. Just this past week...  In the doormat division, Patriots beat Steelers- on the road...  Jets smear the playoff quality Texans... And Da Bears easily handled the Playoff bound Lions.  

On any given Sunday- or Saturday this week for that matter.  About 5 games that will have huge playoff implications.... Vikings- Bengals, Broncos- Lions, Texans- Titans, Cowboys- Bills, and Ravens- Jaguars...  I'd actually prefer that the Colts beat the Steelers, because we own the head to head tiebreaker with them.  

Any given Sunday is true…but gotta love that the browns control their own destiny this late and will probably be favored in all their remaining games in December.

i really like this teams odds in the last stretch now that the offense is clicking. They just have to fix their turnover problem or else we’ll be a first round exit. 

Speaking of playoffs, man so many teams look vulnerable among the AFC teams.

Chiefs, Dolphins are not the power houses people thought early on. Colts, Jags, Texans are all pretty “mid”

The Ravens seem the best, but as we proved they are beatable. And hopefully Lamar continues his trend of being blinded by the bright lights.

I wish we were healthier because it really feels like this could have been the year. 

—-

edit:

of the teams in the hunt I hope the Bills miss it, they seem like they could be the most dangerous of that bunch…

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

Exactly!  As last night showed the Dolphins just lost to TN.  Earlier in the year, when Philly was playing better football - the Jets beat them.  I think the Jets also beat Buffalo.  How was it possible?  They have a very good defense that created turnovers and won against teams that thought all they had to do was show up against the Jets.  So what was the problem?  As the old saying goes "If you fail to prepare; you're prepared to fail."  

When you have a roster decimated with injuries like the Browns and other teams in the playoff race with 8-5 and 7-6 records - you can't take any 1 of the last 4 opponents lightly.  Some teams like Denver & Pittsburgh (that you mentioned) with only 1 more loss than the Browns would win the tie breaker with us - if the Browns lose 1 or 2 of the remaining games.  

Just prepare each week like it's urgent and the winning will follow...    

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bbedward said:

I wish we were healthier because it really feels like this could have been the year. 

I think that's a reasonable take. 

But hell with that. Beat da Bears, & hopefully a couple AFC 7-6 teams go down, but you can't bank on it(Colts/Steelers is a pretty big game for both teams).

1 minute ago, Bob806 said:

I think that's a reasonable take. 

But hell with that. Beat da Bears, & hopefully a couple AFC 7-6 teams go down, but you can't bank on it(Colts/Steelers is a pretty big game for both teams).

I’m all about the Joe Flacco redemption arc 😁

I’m not too worried about the browns making the wild card at this point, more about what they’ll do after they make it. If Joe evolves into January Joe anything is possible.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bbedward said:

I’m all about the Joe Flacco redemption arc 😁

I’m not too worried about the browns making the wild card at this point, more about what they’ll do after they make it. If Joe evolves into January Joe anything is possible.

JJJJIIIINNNNXXXX!!!!  This will be all your fault. It's why I never take my wife to Aggie games. Every time she's been they lose and my daughter puts her on shock jail time at home.😒

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Here is how the table is set and here are remaining schedules:

BAL - at 49ers, vs Dolphins, vs Steelers

MIA - vs Cowboys, at Ravens, vs Bills

KC - vs Raiders, vs Bengals, at Chargers

JAX - at Buccaneers, vs Panthers, at Titans

Browns - at Texans, vs Jets, at Bengals

CIN - at Steelers, at Chiefs, vs Browns

IND - at Falcons, vs Raiders, vs Texans 

8. HOU - vs Browns, vs Titans, at Colts

9. BUF - at Chargers, vs Patriots, at Dolphins 

10. PIT - vs Bengals, at Seahawks, at Ravens

There is still much to determine, the only thing the Browns can control is the opponent in front of them.

Screenshot_20231219_094255_Instagram.jpg

46 minutes ago, AP1 said:

Here is how the table is set and here are remaining schedules:

BAL - at 49ers, vs Dolphins, vs Steelers

MIA - vs Cowboys, at Ravens, vs Bills

KC - vs Raiders, vs Bengals, at Chargers

JAX - at Buccaneers, vs Panthers, at Titans

Browns - at Texans, vs Jets, at Bengals

CIN - at Steelers, at Chiefs, vs Browns

IND - at Falcons, vs Raiders, vs Texans 

8. HOU - vs Browns, vs Titans, at Colts

9. BUF - at Chargers, vs Patriots, at Dolphins 

10. PIT - vs Bengals, at Seahawks, at Ravens

There is still much to determine, the only thing the Browns can control is the opponent in front of them.

Screenshot_20231219_094255_Instagram.jpg

True.

I do believe that if there's any upsets in the WC round, the lowest seed remaining would travel to Baltimore (or whoever gets the #1 seed). 

Playoff-clinching scenarios have largely been a foreign concept to Browns fans. Something reserved for the rest of the NFL as the Browns hope for a miracle or run out the clock on another lost season.

Not this year.

With three games left, the Browns are 9-5 and in position to lock up an AFC postseason spot this weekend.

Kevin Stefanski: Myles Garrett is Defensive Player of Year, nobody in same realm

They’ll need a win and plenty of help, but the possibility remains that when Santa Claus visits Northeast Ohio late Christmas Eve the Browns will know they have a wild card spot secured.

The NFL released its weekly clinching scenarios Tuesday, and the Browns have eight. They all start with a win over the Texans (8-6) in Houston on Sunday afternoon. They also require four or five specific results from across the AFC.

Here they are:

CLE win + CIN loss + DEN loss or tie + BUF loss + MIA win or tie + IND loss or tie OR

CLE win + PIT loss or tie + BUF loss + MIA win or tie + DEN loss or tie OR

CLE win + PIT loss or tie + BUF loss + MIA win or tie + JAX loss + IND win OR

CLE win + PIT loss or tie + DEN loss or tie + JAX loss + IND win OR

CLE win + PIT loss or tie + BUF loss + KC win + IND win + JAX loss OR

CLE win + PIT loss or tie + DEN loss or tie + MIA win or tie + IND loss OR

CLE win + PIT loss or tie + DEN loss or tie + MIA win or tie + JAX loss OR

CLE win + CIN-PIT tie + BUF loss + IND win + JAX loss

Keeping track will require a spreadsheet and a lot of scoreboard watching while opening presents, eating ham and watching Christmas movies.

The Browns would be best served by a Steelers (7-7) loss or tie against the Bengals (8-6) on Saturday in Pittsburgh and a loss by the Bills (8-6) and/or Broncos (7-7). Buffalo plays at the Los Angeles Chargers (5-9) on Saturday night, and Denver hosts the Patriots (3-11) on Sunday night.

Notes: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah continues strong season with ‘high-impact plays’ in key spots vs. Bears

The Browns are the only AFC wild card contender with nine wins. Due to the logjam at 8-6 (four teams) and 7-7 (two teams) and tiebreakers, in some scenarios the Browns want a Colts loss or tie and in others a Colts win.

The Browns are also still alive in the quest for their first division title since the AFC North was formed in 2002. The Ravens (11-3) lead the North by two games and are the AFC’s No. 1 seed.

The Ravens can clinch the title with a win Monday night at San Francisco (11-3) and a loss or tie by the Browns, or with a tie vs. the 49ers and a loss by the Browns.

AVOIDING A-ROD

After the trip to Houston, the Browns will return home to face the Jets on Thursday, Dec. 28. They’ll catch a break by not facing four-time MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Commentary: Browns somehow survive excruciating endurance test, move step closer to playoffs

His Achilles tendon tore in the opener in September, but he hoped to make an unprecedented comeback and returned to practice a couple of weeks ago. But with the Jets (5-9) eliminated from playoff contention last Sunday, he won’t rush it.

“I think the whole time it’s been hoping that we’re still in it because it was unrealistic to think that I would be 100 percent to be medically cleared at any point during the regular season,” Rodgers said Tuesday on the “Pat McAfee Show.” “I do feel like in the next three to four weeks, it would have been very possible to get to 100 percent, but obviously not there. So the conversation was a way from 100 percent medical clearance to willingness to play, and that’s never been a problem for me.”

Zach Wilson took over for Rodgers in the opener, was benched after nine starts, returned to the lineup Dec. 10 and beat the Texans 30-6. He left the 30-0 loss to the Dolphins on Sunday with a concussion and was replaced by Trevor Siemian.

ROSTER MOVE

Defensive tackle Chris Williams was signed to Cleveland’s practice squad.

He’s in his third season out of Wagner, has played in 13 games and spent most of this season on the Chiefs’ practice squad.

2 minutes ago, syd said:

Defensive tackle Chris Williams was signed to Cleveland’s practice squad.

He’s in his third season out of Wagner, has played in 13 games and spent most of this season on the Chiefs’ practice squad.

Browns made attempt to claim DT Teair Tartt off of waivers from Titans

USATSI_19514430.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
December 19, 2023 4:05 pm ET

After massive injuries to their defensive tackle room, the Cleveland Browns attempted to upgrade that room. While he ultimately landed with the Houston Texans, the Browns tried to claim defensive tackle Teair Tartt off of waivers after he was cut from the Tennessee Titans.

With Maurice Hurst landing on Injured Reserve, and with Jordan Elliott questionable to play against the Chicago Bears this past weekend (he ultimately did play), this was a smart move to make for one of the better pure run stuffers in the NFL.

For now, it will continue to be rookie Siaki Ika who will see playing time after the injury to Hurst. Ika made his debut this past weekend against the Bears, playing 17 snaps, 12 of which came against run plays. At minimum, he is a big dude who can cause a pileup in gaps when he is playing the run.

The continued great play from Dalvin Tomlinson and Shelby Harris, including the steady improvement from Elliott continues to float this Cleveland interior despite their efforts to add another talent to the group.

Instead, the Browns will play Tartt this week in Houston, who had a higher priority on the waiver wire than them.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I don't care about any of it until I see it confirmed we are in the playoffs. Just beat Houston. And finally I get to see that game live rather than the recording I am watching now of the Chi/Browns game.👍

Spoiler alert - Cleveland beat Chicago.  You're lucky I didn't see this 3 hours ago Mr MeAggies 😁

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2023 at 12:40 PM, bbedward said:

Im holding onto my prediction that the Browns beat the Bears and Texans, drop to the jets just so they can fuck up some draft positioning, and then win 5 games in a row starting with Cincinnati.

Just beat the Texans first Browns. That puts our odds at 99%, Beating the Jets TNF it's 100%- and we're in.  

On 12/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, syd said:

Browns made attempt to claim DT Teair Tartt off of waivers from Titans

USATSI_19514430.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
December 19, 2023 4:05 pm ET

After massive injuries to their defensive tackle room, the Cleveland Browns attempted to upgrade that room. While he ultimately landed with the Houston Texans, the Browns tried to claim defensive tackle Teair Tartt off of waivers after he was cut from the Tennessee Titans.

With Maurice Hurst landing on Injured Reserve, and with Jordan Elliott questionable to play against the Chicago Bears this past weekend (he ultimately did play), this was a smart move to make for one of the better pure run stuffers in the NFL.

For now, it will continue to be rookie Siaki Ika who will see playing time after the injury to Hurst. Ika made his debut this past weekend against the Bears, playing 17 snaps, 12 of which came against run plays. At minimum, he is a big dude who can cause a pileup in gaps when he is playing the run.

The continued great play from Dalvin Tomlinson and Shelby Harris, including the steady improvement from Elliott continues to float this Cleveland interior despite their efforts to add another talent to the group.

Instead, the Browns will play Tartt this week in Houston, who had a higher priority on the waiver wire than them.

I related news, the Falcons poached Tommy Togai off of our practice squad, and signed him to their active roster.   

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Just beat the Texans first Browns. That puts our odds at 99%, Beating the Jets TNF it's 100%- and we're in.  

I related news, the Falcons poached Tommy Togai off of our practice squad, and signed him to their active roster.   

LOl I had no idea he was even on it.

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

He was not much a a presence when he was on the 53. There was a reason he got placed on the PS.