THE BROWNS BOARD

Playoffs

syd

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Oh, I'd be a travellin' man.  A month in Tahiti for starters.  :)  

What worries me BB, is should the Jags lose, that creates the possibility for the stinking Squealers to backdoor into the playoffs. 🤬

Of course they have to beat the Ravens first... Then their direct path is a Bills loss.  Buffalo wins at Miami and they're done, short of the Colts and Texans tieing. 

If Pittsburgh ends up in the playoffs, we're gonna hear endless praise of how terrific Mike Tomlin is all over again.  He had WRs not running routes and refusing to throw blocks for teammates just a few weeks ago on the train wreck of an offense they fielded all year. They had a fight on the sidelines between Fitzpatrick and WR D. Johnson.  Sometimes, the auto-pilot success in Pittsburgh needs to be credited to the Ownership Family instead of the beneficiary. Earlier on in Tomlin's tenure - he looked like their perfect fit and they advanced in the playoffs. Once all that fizzled and most recently, the main difference between Mike Tomlin and Jeff Fisher looks to me like 1 team was complacent with 8-8 football and the other remains fine with barely making the playoffs and not advancing.  For a while, the state of Ohio (alone) was giving Tomlin 3-4 wins almost every year.  He still got that this year with Cincy being 0-5 in the division.  I just don't see the next Chuck Noll in Pittsburgh the media seems to want to see. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with this and that's fine.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

If Pittsburgh ends up in the playoffs, we're gonna hear endless praise of how terrific Mike Tomlin is all over again.  He had WRs not running routes and refusing to throw blocks for teammates just a few weeks ago on the train wreck of an offense they fielded all year. They had a fight on the sidelines between Fitzpatrick and WR D. Johnson.  Sometimes, the auto-pilot success in Pittsburgh needs to be credited to the Ownership Family instead of the beneficiary. Earlier on in Tomlin's tenure - he looked like their perfect fit and they advanced in the playoffs. Once all that fizzled and most recently, the main difference between Mike Tomlin and Jeff Fisher looks to me like 1 team was complacent with 8-8 football and the other remains fine with barely making the playoffs and not advancing.  For a while, the state of Ohio (alone) was giving Tomlin 3-4 wins almost every year.  He still got that this year with Cincy being 0-5 in the division.  I just don't see the next Chuck Noll in Pittsburgh the media seems to want to see. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with this and that's fine.

Yeah, I'd definitely disagree that Tomlin isn't a top coach. It sucks, but the teams the Steelers have fielded post Big Ben have been well below average and to achieve a winning record is a tip of the cap.

With that being said, the playoff record is going to catch up to him to your point. 4 straight losses in the playoffs going back to 2016 and the last two weren't even close games.

9 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Yeah, I'd definitely disagree that Tomlin isn't a top coach. It sucks, but the teams the Steelers have fielded post Big Ben have been well below average and to achieve a winning record is a tip of the cap.

With that being said, the playoff record is going to catch up to him to your point. 4 straight losses in the playoffs going back to 2016 and the last two weren't even close games.

He is a bit too much of a players coach sometimes, but it’s impossible to argue with his results overall.

His loyalty to shitty quarterbacks just because of the draft spot (Pickett) and the money spent (Trubisky) looks pretty dumb if Rudolph continues to play competently against the ravens practice squad.

I don’t know about the Matt Canada stuff, seems like they may have been hobbled by painfully stupid quarterbacks.

Ben was shot by the end, his reconstructed arm was a noodle - so even his final years were subpar QB play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

Those aren't bad points you make.  Early on I was impressed but that fizzled.  As I said, they were getting 3-4 gimmes from Cleveland and Cincy every year so all they had to do was win 5 or 6 of the other 12 games.

My good friend from high school and college has been a die hard Sodder-head since he moved to my town from PA in the 70s.  He always says "Man, Noll and Cowher spoiled me."  I replied, yeah they had defenses from front to back that dominated and intimidated teams.  Even their secondary had badass former LBers like Carnell Lake crushing people as a Safety, then they had Pollyneedsahaircut aside from the countless Pro Bowl LBers before we get to the DL and Edge Rushers.  Today?  They have Watt and Highsmith on the edges and rookie DT Keeanu Benton looks like he'll be a great interior DL. As for their offense and defense - Head Coaches typically have majority say on the Assistants they interview and hire.  I think Pittsburgh is stale even if they get in through the back door again.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

Fuck Mike Tomlin. Even though he is having success well after the Cowher era, I think any coach could find success after inheriting Cowher's players. I think even Hue Jackson would have had sustained success inheriting that roster. Stef took an absolute turd of a roster and franchise and turned it into a potential Super Bowl contender this year and possibly a perrenial playoff contender for years to come. Although I do worry about our salary cap situation.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Fuck Mike Tomlin. Even though he is having success well after the Cowher era, I think any coach could find success after inheriting Cowher's players. I think even Hue Jackson would have had sustained success inheriting that roster. Stef took an absolute turd of a roster and franchise and turned it into a potential Super Bowl contender this year and possibly a perrenial playoff contender for years to come. Although I do worry about our salary cap situation.

We have an owner willing to spend above the cap for now, so we won’t be hurting for awhile on the cap front - unless it doesn’t increase as much as the browns FO are expecting to it. The restructures they do basically let em go above the cap, and it’ll work as long as the salary cap increases every year.

For Stefanski, yea he’s a gem…for once we have a coach that so many teams would take over their current guy in a heart beat if they could.

5 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I swear I heard a stat recently something along the lines that this is Tomlin's 17th season with the Steelers, and he's only won a playoff game in four of those seasons. 

But then again, there's an argument to be made that the Steelers choked quite a few times under Cowher, too. 

On 1/4/2024 at 3:54 PM, Neo said:

Just noticed my error 👆 I guess that happens when your in a hurry. 2017 was the 0-16 season, then 7-8-1 after only because Gregg Williams took over and went 5-3. Then Freddie Kitchens went 6-10. Most of our core players were in place but still losing. I still like to think if I were a rookie Head Coach about to coach his first NFL team, I would rather inherit a team that has won a Super Bowl in the past 10 years or so than the mess Hue Jackson started. And FUCK Mike Tomin still stands.😄