THE BROWNS BOARD

Playoffs

syd

1 hour ago, bbedward said:

The could woulda shoulda for the drafts apply to every team, but they are so, so much worse for the browns. 

Don’t even have to go back that far - imagine if we chose Josh Allen over Baker in 2018 🙃 People can debate it all they want - but one of those guys has Watson-like value and the other is bouncing around teams, Tampa Bay is having the debate we had for years - they aren’t sure if this is the guy they should build a team around.

Our last first round picks pre-Watson I think are Newsome and Wills, also not particularly impact players. 

—-

But who can complain, they’ve been winning and hold the top wild card seed - great to have some extremely good December football 😁

I can’t even imagine the reaction of people if you told em after 2021 wild card that baker would be on his 4th team and the browns are in control of their own destiny with Joe Flacco at the helm

Trust me, Baker got brought up all the time before you started posting regularly again this season.  I didn't want to re-stir that hornets' nest again.

43 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Me too; but I can't lie about what missing a 1st round draft pick does to my enthusiasm. 

Sure, the first round pick is what 90% of what draft talk centers on. If we had one this coming draft, I'm sure we would have had some talk conjecturing on what players would be available in the 20s. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sure, the first round pick is what 90% of what draft talk centers on. If we had one this coming draft, I'm sure we would have had some talk conjecturing on what players would be available in the 20s. 

hey man we got a 2nd to talk about this year,so cheer up ;)

1 minute ago, syd said:

hey man we got a 2nd to talk about this year,so cheer up ;)

In due time, I'm sure mock drafts will start up here...

We have a playoff run to worry about now. I'll start diving in to what OGuard I want the Browns to take in the 4th round in March. 🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, Flugel said:

Yeah, I was thinking this was pretty obvious.  I'm guessing it still is - they're just playing the same game Jax is about announcing who will start at the last second.

it is are game to have. run the ball down their throats. A few deep throws and just keep a eye out for the other Josh Allen

17 hours ago, Flugel said:

Me too; but I can't lie about what missing a 1st round draft pick does to my enthusiasm. 

I get what you're saying about enjoying the draft, but 1sts are overrated. Look at some of the guys we got in later rounds the past years: JOK, Emerson and now Dawand. Compare that to our most recent 1sts Wills and Newsome like @bbedwardmentioned.

And it is not like it is just the Browns FO. Look at what Carolina gave up for Bryce Young (worse trade than Watson. Come at me). 1sts are being thrown around like they're on Oprahs favorite things!

32 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

I get what you're saying about enjoying the draft, but 1sts are overrated. Look at some of the guys we got in later rounds the past years: JOK, Emerson and now Dawand. Compare that to our most recent 1sts Wills and Newsome like @bbedwardmentioned.

And it is not like it is just the Browns FO. Look at what Carolina gave up for Bryce Young (worse trade than Watson. Come at me). 1sts are being thrown around like they're on Oprahs favorite things!

Partially agree because of some of the reaches/bad decisions we've seen over the years from the FO/Ownership influence.  We STILL need 1st round picks as our salary cap room shrinks paying the higher salaries to veterans; while there's salary cap restrictions on all rookie contracts inclusive of the highest rated prospects. Also, when 1st round QBs like Patrick Mahomes, DeShaun Watson and Josh Allen were available to us in the 1st round - and our FO/Owner picks a lesser talented/impact guy - is the problem a 1st round draft pick or the people at the top of the organization in charge of making the right selection?

Understanding a 3rd overall pick Joe Thomas just went into the HOF in 2023 as a 10 time Pro Bowl Left Tackle - I'm going to assure you we wouldn't have found a better football player in a later round. Wills wasn't a Left Tackle when he came here so I'm going to blame that bad decision on the FO.  The reason Ohio State always has winning seasons from their recruiting process is because they dot the i.    

On the other hand, tell me where this team/defense would be this without Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward.  Seems to me we're 0-2 the last 2 weeks with Myles playing hurt and Ward missing these games against very beatable opponents. I've never been wild about Newsome in round 1 here; BUT when Ward is here covering the opponent's best Receiver - Newsome can pick 6 the Ratbirds in our comeback W.  Without Ward?  We had to watch Courtland Sutton consistently win a matchup vrs Newsome that would have never happened against Ward.  That was also the game Myles re-aggravated a shoulder injury.  Him and Ward are important investments Schwartz counts on to set up the rest of what he wants to do with matchups, etc.

Now, let's get our ourselves focused for the last 5 games KD.  See you in the game thread today. All game faces welcome!

EEK 15 · Sun 12/17 · 8:20 PM EST

AT

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jacksonville Jaguars

NBC
98 ROCK • WBAL 1090 AM • 101.5 FM
EVERBANK STADIUM
Presented By

WEEK 16 · Mon 12/25 · 8:15 PM EST

AT

San Francisco 49ers

San Francisco 49ers

ABC
LEVI'S® STADIUM
Presented By

WEEK 17 · Sun 12/31 · 1:00 PM EST

Miami Dolphins

Miami Dolphins

CBS • PARAMOUNT+
M&T BANK STADIUM
Presented By

WEEK 18 · TBD

Pittsburgh Steelers

Pittsburgh Steelers

team logo
AFC Standings
  TEAM RECORD PCT DIV CONF   NEXT GAME
1 9-3-0 .750 3-1-0 6-2-0   vs
team logo
TEN
2 10-3-0 .769 3-2-0 6-3-0   @
team logo
JAC
3 8-4-0 .667 3-1-0 6-1-0   vs
team logo
BUF
4 8-5-0 .615 4-1-0 6-4-0   vs
team logo
BAL
5 8-5-0 .615 3-2-0 6-3-0   vs
team logo
CHI
6 7-6-0 .538 3-2-0 5-4-0   vs
team logo
PIT
7 7-6-0 .538 1-2-0 4-4-0   @
team logo
TEN
8 7-6-0 .538 3-1-0 5-4-0   @
team logo
IND
9 6-6-0 .500 1-2-0 3-5-0   @
team logo
LAC
10 7-6-0 .538 0-4-0 3-6-0   vs
team logo
MIN
11 6-6-0 .500 2-2-0 3-5-0   @
team logo
KC
12 5-7-0 .417 1-1-0 3-4-0   vs
team logo
DEN
13 5-7-0 .417 1-2-0 3-5-0   vs
team logo
MIN
14 5-8-0 .385 1-3-0 3-6-0   @
team logo
MIA
15 4-8-0 .333 0-3-0 2-6-0   @
team logo
MIA

in progress.. 

Only remaining question?

Can the Bills or Broncos jump the Bengals/Pitts. for the 6th/7th spot, with any head to head wins? If one or both win today..

BAL_fullcolor.png

10-3 • 1st AFC North

MIA_fullcolor.png
9-3 • 1st AFC East

Play Monday

KC_fullcolor.png
8-4 • 1st AFC West

JAX_fullcolor.png
8-5 • 1st AFC South

5  1st Wildcard

CLE

CLE_fullcolor.png
8-5 • 2nd AFC North

PIT_fullcolor.png
7-6 • 3rd AFC North

Steelers over Bengals based on head-to-head results (divisional tiebreak)
Steelers over Colts based on common opponent winning percentage

CIN_fullcolor.png
7-6 • 4th AFC North
  • Bengals over Bills based on head-to-head results

On The Bubble

These teams would be on the outside looking in if the season ended today

IND

IND_fullcolor.png
7-6 • 2nd AFC South

Colts lose tiebreaker to Jags/Browns/Bengals..Win vs. Ravens/or could split with Texans. Colts up 1

HOU_fullcolor.png
7-6 • 3rd AFC South

Texans split with Jags. Wins tiebreaker vs. Pitt./Bengals/Denver

DEN_fullcolor.png
6-6 • 2nd AFC West  (7 - 6)

Denver holds tiebreaker over Bills/Browns not Texans

BUF_fullcolor.png
6-6 • 2nd AFC East    (7 - 6)
Buffalo loses any tiebreakers to Jags/Bengals or Broncos

edit-- 6 teams all sitting at 7- 6 records at Sunday's end ^^^ 2 final wildcard spots.. Browns 1 game up

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

in progress.. 

Only remaining question?

Can the Bills or Broncos jump the Bengals/Pitts. for the 6th/7th spot, with any head to head wins? If one or both win today..

BAL_fullcolor.png

10-3 • 1st AFC North

MIA_fullcolor.png
9-3 • 1st AFC East

Play Monday

KC_fullcolor.png
8-4 • 1st AFC West

JAX_fullcolor.png
8-5 • 1st AFC South

5  1st Wildcard

CLE

CLE_fullcolor.png
8-5 • 2nd AFC North

PIT_fullcolor.png
7-6 • 3rd AFC North

CIN_fullcolor.png
7-6 • 4th AFC North

On The Bubble

These teams would be on the outside looking in if the season ended today

IND

IND_fullcolor.png
7-6 • 2nd AFC South

Colts lose tiebreaker to Jags/Browns/Bengals..Win vs. Ravens/or could split with Texans

HOU_fullcolor.png
7-6 • 3rd AFC South

Texans split with Jags. Wins tiebreaker vs. Pitt./Bengals/Denver

DEN_fullcolor.png
6-6 • 2nd AFC West  (7 - 6)

Denver holds tiebreaker over Bills/Browns not Texans

BUF_fullcolor.png
6-6 • 2nd AFC East    (7 - 6)
Buffalo loses any tiebreakers to Jags/Bengals or Broncos

edit-- 6 teams all sitting at 7- 6 records at Sunday's end ^^^ 2 final wildcard spots.. Browns 1 game up

Since we can start thinking about it Gumby....  Let me refer you to the excellent detailed standings & analysis on ESPN....   In actuality, the Bengals still have a pretty high mountain to climb to get into the playoffs,  their 3-6 record in the AFC, & 0-4 in the division is killer in any tiebreak scenarios...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/standings/_/view/playoff  

32 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Let me refer you to the excellent detailed standings & analysis on ESPN....

all was pending during 4pm games H 

Shocking we're not sticking 5 bucks into some Espn writers kitty jar for that information 🤑 ;)

When they took locally aired hockey games off for ESPN plus rates.. We quit caring for E$pn all together in the Carolina's..

this Browns team needs to look prepared for winning a road game in Chicago from the 1st whistle next week.. ☃️(that I'd pay to watch 🧐)